How NOT to Conworld.

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
User avatar
Zumir
sinic
sinic
Posts: 267
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 05:03
Location: The darkest pit of madness.

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by Zumir » 15 Apr 2012 16:41

zelos wrote:I wonder how those would work if you had magic and technology being intertwined :P
Any magic is indistinguishable from technology?
Wa mnew yiHegolech.

User avatar
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3995
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 04:14
Location: Texas

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by Chagen » 16 Apr 2012 15:56

Something that turns me off from a conworld is slavish insistence on absolute realism. Yeah, realism is super-fun to incorporate into your conworld, but I don't need 3 paragraphs scientifically explaining how your conworld has purple sky. Just say "the sky is purple", jesus.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

User avatar
CrazyEttin
greek
greek
Posts: 578
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 19:43

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by CrazyEttin » 16 Apr 2012 16:00

Chagen wrote:Something that turns me off from a conworld is slavish insistence on absolute realism. Yeah, realism is super-fun to incorporate into your conworld, but I don't need 3 paragraphs scientifically explaining how your conworld has purple sky. Just say "the sky is purple", jesus.
But... But... The calculations and technobabble are the most fun part of conworlding. [:(]

User avatar
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3995
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 04:14
Location: Texas

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by Chagen » 16 Apr 2012 16:07

Yes, but there's a limit, where you realize, "I truly have many better things to be doing with my time".
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

User avatar
Zontas
roman
roman
Posts: 1037
Joined: 31 Jul 2011 00:30
Location: Menulis, Miestas, Pragaras

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by Zontas » 16 Apr 2012 16:46

Chagen wrote:Something that turns me off from a conworld is slavish insistence on absolute realism. Yeah, realism is super-fun to incorporate into your conworld, but I don't need 3 paragraphs scientifically explaining how your conworld has purple sky. Just say "the sky is purple", jesus.
Three paragraphs of about five sentences is both the minimum and the maximum if you're going with that approach. It does't hurt to do so if you have something un-annoying to back it up.
Hey there.

User avatar
Zumir
sinic
sinic
Posts: 267
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 05:03
Location: The darkest pit of madness.

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by Zumir » 16 Apr 2012 17:12

Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that) is when a culture is never developed passed a high concept, e.g. a militaristic culture, or a pacifist culture, or a culture centered around the arts.

(Was that all one sentence? Jesus.)
Wa mnew yiHegolech.

User avatar
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1591
Joined: 25 Dec 2010 21:21
Contact:

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by cybrxkhan » 16 Apr 2012 18:54

@Chagen: Some people conworld with the purpose of absolute realism, so they enjoy that stuff. Others don't. It's more a matter of preference, in my opinion. And it's also more so their problem for writing so much and in a boring way rather than the nature of their conworld. It's certainly possible to devise and explain and interesting reason why the sky is purple. That's my opinion at least.

That said...
Zumir wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that) is when a culture is never developed passed a high concept, e.g. a militaristic culture, or a pacifist culture, or a culture centered around the arts.

(Was that all one sentence? Jesus.)
Totally agreed. Isn't it the thing that pops up in cliched fantasy and sci-fi all the time? i.e. Elves are ALWAYS pacifist (except for that one exception!), Klingons ALWAYS are social darwinists (or something like that), etc. etc. It's one thing to have stereotypes, but another to make them real.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
CrazyEttin
greek
greek
Posts: 578
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 19:43

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by CrazyEttin » 16 Apr 2012 20:21

cybrxkhan wrote:@Chagen: Some people conworld with the purpose of absolute realism, so they enjoy that stuff. Others don't. It's more a matter of preference, in my opinion. And it's also more so their problem for writing so much and in a boring way rather than the nature of their conworld. It's certainly possible to devise and explain and interesting reason why the sky is purple. That's my opinion at least.
This.

I usually do the calculations and invent the necessary science stuff, but only let some of it in the actual description of the world, most of it being stored in my notes if needed. Even if you just end up saying "The sky is purple" it's good to know yourself why it is that colour, because it might affect the world in different ways than just the sky colour.

zelos
greek
greek
Posts: 711
Joined: 06 Nov 2010 08:04

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by zelos » 20 Apr 2012 15:24

CrazyEttin wrote:
cybrxkhan wrote:@Chagen: Some people conworld with the purpose of absolute realism, so they enjoy that stuff. Others don't. It's more a matter of preference, in my opinion. And it's also more so their problem for writing so much and in a boring way rather than the nature of their conworld. It's certainly possible to devise and explain and interesting reason why the sky is purple. That's my opinion at least.
This.

I usually do the calculations and invent the necessary science stuff, but only let some of it in the actual description of the world, most of it being stored in my notes if needed. Even if you just end up saying "The sky is purple" it's good to know yourself why it is that colour, because it might affect the world in different ways than just the sky colour.
I usually approximate things :P If there is a feasable answer I leave it at that and care none more.
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos

thetha
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1995
Joined: 29 Apr 2011 00:43

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by thetha » 22 Apr 2012 06:09

Zumir wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that)
I don't think Family Guy created that phrase, or even popularized it.

zelos
greek
greek
Posts: 711
Joined: 06 Nov 2010 08:04

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by zelos » 22 Apr 2012 14:50

Theta wrote:
Zumir wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that)
I don't think Family Guy created that phrase, or even popularized it.
Y'know what really grinds my gears? When people grinds my gears
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos

taylorS
greek
greek
Posts: 458
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 04:06
Location: Moorhead, MN, USA

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by taylorS » 18 Jun 2012 05:06

A Sci-Fi pet-peeve:

Aliens who all look like funny-looking humans (complete with fingernails and breasts) and can hybridize with us (like Spock's parents). It is highly unlikely for another intelligent species too look so similar to us. Yes, there might be some convergent evolution (opposible digits for using tools and reduced jaws because of cooking), but they will otherwise look very different. Read the novels of David Brin's "Uplift" universe for realistic aliens.

taylorS
greek
greek
Posts: 458
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 04:06
Location: Moorhead, MN, USA

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by taylorS » 18 Jun 2012 05:20

cybrxkhan wrote:@Chagen: Some people conworld with the purpose of absolute realism, so they enjoy that stuff. Others don't. It's more a matter of preference, in my opinion. And it's also more so their problem for writing so much and in a boring way rather than the nature of their conworld. It's certainly possible to devise and explain and interesting reason why the sky is purple. That's my opinion at least.

That said...
Zumir wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that) is when a culture is never developed passed a high concept, e.g. a militaristic culture, or a pacifist culture, or a culture centered around the arts.

(Was that all one sentence? Jesus.)
Totally agreed. Isn't it the thing that pops up in cliched fantasy and sci-fi all the time? i.e. Elves are ALWAYS pacifist (except for that one exception!), Klingons ALWAYS are social darwinists (or something like that), etc. etc. It's one thing to have stereotypes, but another to make them real.
You forgot the Ferengi.

User avatar
CrazyEttin
greek
greek
Posts: 578
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 19:43

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by CrazyEttin » 18 Jun 2012 09:36

taylorS wrote:A Sci-Fi pet-peeve:

Aliens who all look like funny-looking humans (complete with fingernails and breasts) and can hybridize with us (like Spock's parents). It is highly unlikely for another intelligent species too look so similar to us. Yes, there might be some convergent evolution (opposible digits for using tools and reduced jaws because of cooking), but they will otherwise look very different. Read the novels of David Brin's "Uplift" universe for realistic aliens.
Recommendation of Uplift series seconded.

And yes, rubber forehead aliens are annoying.

User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 6354
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by eldin raigmore » 18 Jun 2012 21:46

taylorS wrote:A Sci-Fi pet-peeve:
Aliens who all look like funny-looking humans (complete with fingernails and breasts) and can hybridize with us (like Spock's parents). It is highly unlikely for another intelligent species too look so similar to us. Yes, there might be some convergent evolution (opposible digits for using tools and reduced jaws because of cooking), but they will otherwise look very different. Read the novels of David Brin's "Uplift" universe for realistic aliens.
Also read Robert Silverberg's "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex". He mentions that Lois Lane has more genes in common with an ear of corn than with Superman.

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7778
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by Lambuzhao » 09 Jul 2012 08:55

Micamo, way in the beginning, was absolutely right -

There are not enough "pools of sentient acid" on conworld fiction.

User avatar
Micamo
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7186
Joined: 05 Sep 2010 18:48
Contact:

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by Micamo » 09 Jul 2012 12:02

eldin raigmore wrote:Also read Robert Silverberg's "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex". He mentions that Lois Lane has more genes in common with an ear of corn than with Superman.
And yet, they were able to make babies together.

Hooray, biology?


So I just reread this entire thread and it gave me a horrific idea: Eroworld, the conworld consisting solely of various sexual fetishes. Who wants to help me with this one?
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter

User avatar
Ànradh
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2100
Joined: 28 Jul 2011 02:57
Location: Cumbernauld, Scotland

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by Ànradh » 09 Jul 2012 13:50

*snort* Pass... Since joining this forum, I've realised that any kinks I have are so mild that they'll be covered (and then some) by essentially anyone else here... :roll:
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.

thetha
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1995
Joined: 29 Apr 2011 00:43

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by thetha » 09 Jul 2012 16:06

Micamo wrote: So I just reread this entire thread and it gave me a horrific idea: Eroworld, the conworld consisting solely of various sexual fetishes. Who wants to help me with this one?
Ooh! What if there's a specific fetish for each little society, and it dominates their culture; like the foot fetish people have a writing system that looks like a bunch of feet, and they never wear shoes. And people think ingrown toenails are curses.

User avatar
hubris_incalculable
sinic
sinic
Posts: 237
Joined: 06 Jun 2012 15:03

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by hubris_incalculable » 09 Jul 2012 17:17

Monobiomic planets. Hurggg.

I'm looking at you, Star Wars.
<äʒƺçķļ>
<áéíóú>

Post Reply