What theme does your conworld have?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
language-taster
rupestrian
rupestrian

What theme does your conworld have?

Post by language-taster » 20 Nov 2011 20:58

I'm curious as to how many conworlders have sci fi, fantasy, steampunk etc. themed worlds. As for my own world, I'm thinking about giving it a realistic fantasy theme or a science fiction theme that's slightly more nature-oriented. So, who wants to share their world's theme/feel?
I sometimes wish I had synesthesia.

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: What theme does your conworld have?

Post by Micamo » 20 Nov 2011 21:13

The standard baseline is low fantasy, but can go into high fantasy and full-on dungeon punk in different parts of the world due to widely differing levels of magical understanding. Magic televisions!
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter

Valoski
sinic
sinic

Post by Valoski » 20 Nov 2011 21:20

I combine the Germanic style fantasy and Chinese/Japanese ideas, with my own little touch.

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 20 Nov 2011 21:32

Ossicone style awesome theme! :mrgreen:

Ceresz
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by Ceresz » 20 Nov 2011 21:47

Ossicone wrote:Ossicone style awesome theme! :mrgreen:
Sex, drugs and Rock & Roll?

Cseúhro
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Cseúhro » 20 Nov 2011 22:44

My con-world once had a strict non-magic science-fiction theme until – at some point in the timeline – everything went apeshit. ಠ_ಠ And now it is a... standard fantasy world, I guess. There's some Matrix-like theme behind it but that's only marginal.
:deu: [:D] | :eng: [:)] | :fra: [¬.¬] | :zho: :rus: :lat: [:'(]

cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Post by cybrxkhan » 20 Nov 2011 23:53

My older conworlds were a whole mishmash of stuff. Sometimes you could see it as fantasy, sometimes as sci-fi, sometimes as pretty gritty real-life stuff... it was really all Rule of Cool mixing and stereotypes and cliches sometimes (but in a good way, in my opinion). These were worlds when elves and dwarves could be running around in your pseudo-European landscape in the same timeline as epic galactic wars.

My current conworld, Arteran, has a much more "realistic" take when it comes to theme, although there's still plenty of room for rule of cool. You can call it alternate alternate history if you want to call it such - many of the concultures, conlangs, and so forth are very, very heavily inspired by real world cultures and civilizations (not not entire rip-offs, of course), but the inspirations being pretty blatant in some cases (for instance, Keintapans are blatantly stereotypical commie-nazis, while Cedarin is pretty much like Imperial China or historical Japan, and Aidis has a freaking Emperor and Senate and double headed eagles like Grome/Byzantium). There is some light punkpunk elements there, such as clockpunk or steampunk lite, but it's nowhere as steampunky and clockpunky as other conworlds - the steampunk and clockpunk and other punkpunks just add a bit of variety to the technological and aesthetic timeline which would have otherwise been too similar to that of earth's.

Lately, however, I've been re-interjecting just a tad bit of fantasy/sci-fi into Arteran, although this deals more with how Arteran was formed in the first place (and how it will end). Otherwise it's pretty much like "history + rule of cool + double headed eagles".

I'm also thinking of somehow returning to my old conworlds, or integrating many of the ideas from there into Arteran (or even putting them into Arteran's timeline as some kind of precursor worlds or something), which, if I do succeed in doing so, will mean that Arteran will become a messy hodgepodge of a bunch of Rule of Cool.

Sort of like Samurai Jack.

Samurai Jack is awesome.
Ossicone wrote:Ossicone style awesome theme! :mrgreen:
Mao.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce

thetha
darkness
darkness

Post by thetha » 21 Nov 2011 04:14

I haven't written any real material on the Kinál world (which I've called Kátʼqʼá) but the basic idea of it is a bunch of ultra-badass Viking/Inuits who live in a giant closed-off fort type city made of wood and hunt giant bears and have tree lifting competitions. In constant sub-zero weather.

Maximillian
light
light

Post by Maximillian » 21 Nov 2011 11:36

My conworld, Evar, is based heavily on Medieval Europe, somewhere between 14th and 16th centuries. The Ríhannen culture, however, is based on ancient Celts.
UNUS•ET•UNICUS

rickardspaghetti
air
air

Post by rickardspaghetti » 21 Nov 2011 14:28

In my own little conworld(no name, no map, and only two conpeople so far) I imagine the most advanced civilizations have late renaissance era technology and have just invented the hot air balloon. This will probably make my conworld airship-punk to a degree, I think. Magic does not exist.
Last edited by rickardspaghetti on 25 Nov 2011 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
:swe: [:D] :vgtl: [:D] :eng: [:)] :ita: [:|] :lkt: [:'(]

Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » 21 Nov 2011 20:42

Fantasy, I suppose. The most advanced civilisations are in the discovering-steel stage, but many are much lower on the tech-base, my most developed culture within the universe in stone-age with trade dragging some groups into the bronze age. There is magic, but I've tried to make it seem as logical as I could (conservation of energy and such) but I want to keep it downplayed enough that technology will still advance quite rapidly.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.

Chelsara
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Chelsara » 22 Nov 2011 04:03

I have like a con-galaxy. None of my conworlds are on one globe...

Let's see...

For the most part, medieval/fantasy with a heavy dose of "romanticized" Mediterranean...ness.

I'll have castles and queens and stuff like that but, for example, my main conworld (T'Arlo) is heavily influenced by Italy.

My new conworld seems to be leaning towards a mix of "Vikings," Romans, and scifi. If that makes any sense.

MONOBA
honored member
honored member

Post by MONOBA » 25 Nov 2011 07:16

My conworld is mostly scientifically factual and draws from both eastern native american themes (hunting, fishing, living in the forest or by the shores) and the "spirit" of european tundra languages (skiing, caribou herding, bows and arrows). Basically pale-skinned, pale brown-haired people with freckles and hazelnut eyes, living as natives but having a european based culture.

Neolithic european aesthetics transposed into a pre-columbian eastern woodland/shield archaic context. No magic, nothing supernatural (except in the eyes of the people).

Jarhead
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Jarhead » 01 Dec 2011 14:29

Far eastern-inspired middle ages with no magic and some fake science, actually set in a far future after humanity's regression.
L1: :ita:
Fluent (on a good day): :eng:
Written: :lat:
Beginner: :esp:
Working on: :con: ~ Eil

Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam » 01 Dec 2011 16:16

Mine is basically "realistic", with no fantasy and very few science-fiction elements. Although I do do a lot of work on different periods in the world's history, and although the cut-off point at present corresponds to our present in terms of technology etc., there's no reason in principle why I shouldn't explore how the world might continue to change in the "future".
Twitter: @jsbaker750

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » 01 Dec 2011 23:06

Trying to present fictional religion(s) sympathetically, when IRL I don't believe in them.

zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos » 08 Dec 2011 18:52

STEEAAAMPUUUUNK!

Sorry I had to yell it, I am a steampunk fan, big one
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos

Pirka
wood
wood

Post by Pirka » 10 Dec 2011 12:24

I have semi-sentient leonoids that have a Europeany-Uralicky language and humanoid shapeshifters frolicking in a subarctic landscape, nomming reindeer and berries and rabbits and things. Amongst them, completely incognito, wander deities that aren't immortal. Their actions and intentions are incomprehensible to non-deities (or the Lower Spirits), and what they do beyond the Lower Plane is even more out of their understanding. I call these deities Higher Spirits. Aside from Higher and Lower Spirits, every bit of matter is crawling with things called Inferior Spirits, which are controlled by individuals that can see the Inferior Plane. These individuals are far and few in between, so this so-called "demon magic" doesn't affect life too much (most Lower inhabitants are unsure of the existence of Spirits or are entirely oblivious), and mortals are never (no special HERO 2 SAVE ERRTHING!!!!11!) special enough to use the Inferior Spirits to make something globally significant happen; that is, no one can take over the world because no one has the "magic points" (if you will) to control all the Inferior Spirits in the world or something. (Indeed, the normal demon magic user usually can only manage one Inferior Spirit at a time.) I guess I would just call this regular old fantasy.

Ralph
darkness
darkness

Post by Ralph » 10 Dec 2011 14:09

My conworld's realistic, generally with a late-medieval technology level. On the other hand, I'm interested in trying to make up some mythology and folklore for it, so I can have fun with magic and the like in that.
Languages!
Native: :eng: Proficient: :rus: :esp: Decent: :fra: Have dabbled in: :fin: :ita:

Toks
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Toks » 18 Dec 2011 00:02

My conworld is a (generally) low fantasy world. The highest technology level is bronze age.