Scale breaking conworld

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
greatbuddha
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Scale breaking conworld

Post by greatbuddha » 01 Jun 2013 05:09

This is cocoon and gran pulse, from final fantasy xiii
cocoon is a little smaller than earth's moon, and is the green and brown orb in the sky
Gran pulse is the world below.

For context of how huge gran pulse is, cocoon is NOT orbiting gran pulse, rather, it is being held aloft at about 4 times its diameter above the surface of gran pulse, around the bottom of the lowest clouds in that image. This is very clear at the end of the game, when cocoon falls out of the sky and the bottom of its outer shell begins to melt and implode from air friction.
Given the reactions of the human characters, the air pressure is nearly the same outside of coccoon as it is on the surface of gran pulse, earthlike (and across an altitude difference of 14000 km too.). There is no visible curvature to gran pulse from cocoon's vantage point.
Thus, I assume that Gran pulse is a scaled verssion of earth, and if 14000 km corresponds to half a km on earth, that would make gran pulse 178,388,000 km in diameter, or about the size of something that would fill up earth's entire orbit.
Yet gran pulse has earthlike gravity and atmospheric pressure, and is humanly habitable.

Have any of you conworlders considered a conworld on Gran Pulse's scale? I've was inspired to create shunozlo from the enormous vastness of Gran Pulse. A Betelgeuse sized terrestrial world fascinates me.
तृष्णात्क्रोधदुःखमिति उद्धो बुद्धः

BrawnerWilliam
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Scale breaking conworld

Post by BrawnerWilliam » 03 Jun 2013 21:38

I have absolutely considered a conworld on that scale, and I'm glad you brought it up. Here's my take on it:

Let's call the planet Maledon. The diameter of Maledon at the equator is 100,000,000 miles, a little more than Earth's orbital distance. Somehow (I'm not really sure how), Maledon still has a surface gravity of 1.0 G, and an atmosphere of the same thickness as Earth's.

A sun orbits Maledon around the equator, bringing day and night. Only at 30-35 degrees N of the equator can the planet naturally sustain human life. At the poles, the temperature is incredibly cold, and on the equator it is ridiculously hot. However, there are other alien races that can sustain these temperatures, and live on other parts of Maledon outside the zone of human influence.

Even with modern technology, humans have not even begun to map out the entire planet. It would take a typical commercial plane 60 years to travel around the world non-stop without refueling, at a maximum speed of 600 mph.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 04 Jun 2013 20:19

That's... a very good idea. I may have to steal it, one day...

The problem with big conworlds in general is that:
a) they're impossible; that's not an absolute problem, but since most people tend to prefer naturalistic styles, it does put a lot of people off;
b) they're pointless unless you have a modern culture. In a modern culture, they can be interesting, because they let you have modern technology yet keep frontiers and unexplored areas; otherwise, though, the speed of travel will be so slow that there's functionally no difference between world sizes. My conworld, for instance, is much larger than Earth, because I wanted multipled continents while keeping plenty of open ocean, but it's not hypergargantuan - because making a world that big doesn't change the cultures in it at all (if you can't get from europe to south america, it doesn't matter if there are ten billion other continents beyond south america that you also can't get to...), and doesn't give me more scope for more cultures, because even an earth-sized planet is too large to ever fill up, let alone a superearth, so a system-sized planet will never have its size made use of.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 04 Jun 2013 20:28

greatbuddha
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by greatbuddha » 05 Jun 2013 02:15

I was more thinking of the thick(but earthlike) atmosphere and towering landforms for the conpeople to play in, you guys seem to be thinking about surface area. My conpeople only inhabit a tiny speck of the world, the rest of its unexplored.
तृष्णात्क्रोधदुःखमिति उद्धो बुद्धः