World Gazetter

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Baffin
rupestrian
rupestrian

World Gazetter

Post by Baffin » 21 Oct 2014 17:11

To my dismay, I've found that world-gazetteer.com has been discontinued. It allowed you to search population statistics by city, province, region, and country anywhere in the world. Does anybody know of a website that provides an equivalent resource?

cntrational
roman
roman

Re: World Gazetter

Post by cntrational » 21 Oct 2014 19:27

For a second, I was expecting this to be a thread where you could post "news" from your conworld, written in an in-universe perspective.

thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen » 21 Oct 2014 20:05

cntrational wrote:For a second, I was expecting this to be a thread where you could post "news" from your conworld, written in an in-universe perspective.
That would be really neat, actually.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ

cntrational
roman
roman

Post by cntrational » 21 Oct 2014 20:25

I would start it, but I don't really have any news I can post.

thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen » 21 Oct 2014 20:49

Me neither [:'(]

@baffin: sorry for derailing the thread [:S]
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 23 Oct 2014 08:01

Baffin wrote:To my dismay, I've found that world-gazetteer.com has been discontinued. It allowed you to search population statistics by city, province, region, and country anywhere in the world. Does anybody know of a website that provides an equivalent resource?
Google (or bing or dogpile or whatever) for "world gazetteer" and you get at least seven hits that lead you to still-active online gazetteers that let you do just exactly those things.

thaen wrote:
cntrational wrote:For a second, I was expecting this to be a thread where you could post "news" from your conworld, written in an in-universe perspective.
That's not what "gazetteer" means, but, yes, that would be really neat. Such a thing existed (maybe still does?) on Yahoo! e-groups (or somewhere else, but I'm pretty sure it was Yahoo! e-groups). Don't remember what it was called.

Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 » 25 Oct 2014 03:13

eldin raigmore wrote:
Baffin wrote:To my dismay, I've found that world-gazetteer.com has been discontinued. It allowed you to search population statistics by city, province, region, and country anywhere in the world. Does anybody know of a website that provides an equivalent resource?
Google (or bing or dogpile or whatever) for "world gazetteer" and you get at least seven hits that lead you to still-active online gazetteers that let you do just exactly those things.

thaen wrote:
That's not what "gazetteer" means, but, yes, that would be really neat. Such a thing existed (maybe still does?) on Yahoo! e-groups (or somewhere else, but I'm pretty sure it was Yahoo! e-groups). Don't remember what it was called.
I think they mean gazette? I remember such a thread on the NationStates forums that I participated in. I'm toying with starting a thread here if no one else does once I can come up with some good news stories (looking back, I'm not sure I really like the headlines from the old thread).

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 26 Oct 2014 16:08

Actually, although 'gazetteer' has primarily come to mean a geographical encyclopaedia (from The Gazetteer, originally The Gazetter's Interpreter), it can still mean a newspaper or gazette (originally the person who sold newspapers - but as in the case of words like 'herald', sources and contents often exchange names).

Yrusia
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Yrusia » 05 Nov 2014 06:27