Debate (Conpeople vs Conpeople)

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: Debate (Conpeople vs Conpeople)

Post by gestaltist » 27 Mar 2015 08:50

elemtilas wrote: Dwimmery? Tis one of the mysteries of life in the World. Kind of like how I always find I'm one stocking short on laundry day...
I don’t know what a stocking is, but you have to be very clumsy to displace any clothes during laundry.
I know the philosophers gab on about primal forces and states of equillibria and cosmically intertwined strings all of which seem to be mixed together into some kind of stew by the Creator with the end result that there are Things That Happen, and Things That May Be Made to Happen. Dwimmery is, according to them, one of the forces of nature that allows things to be Made to Happen. We Daine are pretty handy at manipulating dwimmery, though some are much stronger than others; Men are pretty hopeless without all wands and charms and smelly cauldrons of ick!
If you are not human, what are you? Are you a demon?
Frankly, philosophers are a usually a bunch of old white-beards in togas that like nothing more than to tuck in to a seven course dinner and argue about nothing the whole time! The best description I ever heard was this: If Gravity is the force that makes things fall down, then Dwimmery is the force that makes things fall up. And then seemingly disappear while they pass through an alternate dimension or two only to pop up through the table and end up right where they started again. Only upside down and rotated in a most curious fashion...
That sounds very weird indeed. Not in the strangest of fables have I heard anything like it.
Like for example, I can sing to an ailing flower and have it hale and blooming in no time! The herbs and veg in our garden grow tall and healthy at my touch. I can take a broken arm and kind of nudge the broken bones back into place, strong as new! I think a proper emperor can do that sort of thing too. Plus there's the aura that surrounds him: my sisters think I'm nuts, but I'm sure I can see a faint nimbus round him, just like I can around a holy monk or one of the Elders, whenever they chance to grace us with their presence! Most especially during the Day of Cleansing is this nimbus strong, when certain afflicted people of the empire are brought before the emperor in the hopes that his touch may heal them. His aura is very strong on those days, and I've even seen him work cures that would make even the best of our Daine healers proud!
It is very rare in our lands to see a miraculous cure. And if it ever happens, it is at the hands of the gods themselves. Your world is a very strange place.
Do you not have those who can work magic in your land?
The Old God, The Father of All-That-Is, has decreed the rules that everything has to obey. Not even his children, The Twin Suns, our Mother Goddess, nor her husband, the Heavenly Warrior, can alter them.

In the old times, the carelessness of the Fiery Twins led to the creation of demons that infested the Earth and worked many strange wonders. The Mother invited our ancestors to this land to eradicate the demons, which we did. Only in the darkest of forests do they still hide.

As you can see, magic is no business of ours. It is either demonic or divine. The greatest feat of magic we get to see every day is our Holy River Maa. The Heavenly Mother sheds tears of compassion looking at our troubles, and these tears form the greatest of rivers, blessing the land with fertility.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 27 Mar 2015 16:05

gestaltist wrote:I don’t know what a stocking is, but you have to be very clumsy to displace any clothes during laundry.
Oh! Bierberrys Particoloured Stockings are just so nifty! Bierberrys of Narfoun, up in Angera, make them -- they're a kind of woolen hose thingy, like a long sausage case and you pull it up over your calf and tie it off at the back. Most of us wear a kind of baggy knickerbocker britches, and these pair up nicely! And best thing of all, Bierberrys make them without toes in! We don't wear boots or shoes as a rule, and since their stockings come down to the ankle, it really saves em from being worn out and frayed like ordinary hosen would be! Course, my sisters are always carping how I mismatch my stockings - whatever. Can't see the colours anyway, so what difference does it make?

And I'll have you know!, it has nothing to do with being clumsy on laundry day! Tis a well known Force of Nature. For once the philosophers make sense, even if they give it a long complicated name. They call it the Principle of Singleton Stocking Attrition and surely tis one of the most vexing forces in all Creation! Tis almost as bad as my other favorite of theirs, the Fundamental Principle of Gastronomic Lodestone Affinity. Especially with kids, sure enough sòmeone of the little ones at the dinner table will spill the jar of hot goober paste all over someone else's wing and sure enough it'll be me having to spend the next hour clearing sticky goo out of their feathers! And the paste will only end up all over me! Not very pleasant, I can assure you!
If you are not human, what are you? Are you a demon?
A demon! We've been called many things, but never one of the nameless terrors from the Voids beyond all worlds! Surely tis best not to invoke what ought not be invoked. And no, we are not Men, but Daine -- you know, People!
That sounds very weird indeed. Not in the strangest of fables have I heard anything like it.
(shrug) Tis everyday for us here in the Middle World! How does your world work and not fly apart if it has no Fundamental Principles to hold it together with and make it go properly??
It is very rare in our lands to see a miraculous cure. And if it ever happens, it is at the hands of the gods themselves. Your world is a very strange place.
I don't know, but I think your country is about the strangest I've ever heard of! Where in the World can it be if there's no dwimmery, no stockings-n-britches, no People, I guess apart from Men? Do you life in Afarea? They say no Daine live there, but only Men; swertlings, they call them. Different from the blaowemen of the East. Anyway, if you don't know what stockings are, what kind of clothes do you wear, or do you wear none?
The Old God, The Father of All-That-Is, has decreed the rules that everything has to obey.
Yes, we know of him as well, for the Teyor have sung to us of the Creation and the Powers who gave it form. Even Men know of him here!, which is a blessing indeed. Not all is lost.
Not even his children, The Twin Suns, our Mother Goddess, nor her husband, the Heavenly Warrior, can alter them.
Twin Suns!? Now that is strange to hear! Is there another Sun in the Uttermost South? We know of only Sawel, the bright Daystar. Or are you confusing Sawel with Selanna, Gea's twin, and Wesara, the silver moon?
In the old times, the carelessness of the Fiery Twins led to the creation of demons that infested the Earth and worked many strange wonders. The Mother invited our ancestors to this land to eradicate the demons, which we did. Only in the darkest of forests do they still hide.
An ill tale is any concerning the nameless Things! We can only be thankful for the Watchers who are ever vigilant against their predations. If they ever got inside the World, we would lose all hope. They would consume All and leave behind only an empty shell of unbeing.

But how did you eradicate the nameless Things? What kind of Men are you that you have such power!? Or ... wait! Are you pulling my wing? Is this some kind of fanciful tale you're telling me?
As you can see, magic is no business of ours. It is either demonic or divine. The greatest feat of magic we get to see every day is our Holy River Maa. The Heavenly Mother sheds tears of compassion looking at our troubles, and these tears form the greatest of rivers, blessing the land with fertility.
Hah! You tell me first that you can destroy the nameless Things, and then you tell me you have no control over dwimmery! You Men are liars! Or, if you are not lying, by what weapon can you defeat such demons without dwimmery?

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 27 Mar 2015 19:23

From the perspective of Ẕuluni Masǧeri (he's species-ist), head archivist, anthropologist and historian, in 870 YU:
And no, we are not Men, but Daine -- you know, People!
Daine? What is that? Something non-human. Something that doesn't belong to our world... Abominable and unnatural to our laws. It speaks, surely. It is foreign to us. Whatever a Daine is, it is not of "people". Only humans are people.
An ill tale is any concerning the nameless Things! We can only be thankful for the Watchers who are ever vigilant against their predations. If they ever got inside the World, we would lose all hope. They would consume All and leave behind only an empty shell of unbeing.
There are such wretched creatures that inhabit the Formless World, separated from us who live in the Formed world, by a thin "veil". We have no watchers to protect from the horrors, for nothing can damage them, except for certain taḵ.
I can assure your empress I have experienced the Justice of Men -- I have been cuffed, haled up before judges, tried, been found guilty, and have suffered punishments at the hands of Men your red hot poker wielding empress would cringe at, quaking with dread! I have passed through the fires of Trial and have been made to undergo the Change -- I have no fear of the wanjustice of Men!
Your powers are different in our world than it is in your world, or it may be gone completely. Your filthy kind haven't dealt with us.

What is a "dwimmery"? We only know "taḵ" (magic) a force that the taḵkilad (magi) can use, but such power is limited.
I must wonder, though, do your empress's allies come at her bidding or is she heeled to their chain?
I do not expect you understand the Vrkhazhian concept of friendship and alliance. Nay, as allies, we are neither chainer nor chained, but like brothers and sisters in arms.
Tell me about this empress of yours -- how is she elected? What sort of government is she head of? I have heard about this democracy thing, and am sure that in no way figures! Clearly she is an autocrat, and though I despise the tyranny of the one every bit as much as the tyranny of the many, I find it most interesting to learn about. What sort of empire does she rule over, apart from mewling slaves and desert sands!
One does not elect emperors or empresses, it is entirely hereditary. The Empress Pizata Khena is dead now and her eldest son of six children rules as Emperor now. At the and time of her rule, she commanded a vast army of 180,000 alikdad and guided the people of Verkhazh with stern justice and merciless zeal. None in history were ever as charismatic as she was, aside from Arash-Hijunu, the first emperor of Vrkhazh. She is truly of descendant of such a legendary character.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 27 Mar 2015 20:19, edited 7 times in total.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 27 Mar 2015 19:49

Ahzoh wrote:Only humans are people.
(Written from a 3015 AUC student's point of view [the one not studying politics from my first post].)

I'm sorry to disgust you, but the Buonavallese word 'gente' means people and we don't look like humans.
Do you know rodents? Do you have rats? That's what we look like, but bigger (the average
verromanu is about 7.9 Buonavallese feet/1.764 Terran meters tall.) And, of course, we speak, think and we have these magic little boxes called "computers" for more than seventy years. They do all the repetitive mathematical tasks, we use them to draw, to test and to do the research that would be too dangerous or too complicated.

My professor said that anything showing signs of inelligence, language and culture can call themselves a 'people'.

We have dogs who can think for themselves, but they attach too easily to a Verroman family.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena » 27 Mar 2015 21:40

qwed117 wrote:Nue Topic: Incest and LGBT relationships
Keyali people see pregnancy as a dangerous way to prevent women from active work for a great amount of time. According to their opinion, it is better to let a women have three children and keep two virgins than having a child for each. Therefore, we have a short number of generatrices (Gamnir), who take the responsibility to bear children for everyone in the village. Usually, 1/5 of women are generatrices, and the rest are forbidden to have sex with males.

Culturally, this developed in an overwhelming tendency of the female high class towards homosexuality and homoeroticism. Males are free to have sex with one of more generatrices whenever they want, but they don't get to sleep with any member of the high class, even if they are high class themselves.

Incest between siblings and cousins is only forbidden between a female and a male, but it is largely practised if the couple is not involved in child making. Incest between parents and children (or grandparents and children) is prohibited for everyone.

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 27 Mar 2015 22:36

Foolster41 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
Foolster41 wrote:The only kind of slavery in Saltha is debt slavery, that is what you would call "hard labor" sentences for crimes or debt. Saltha has been for a long time very isolationist and then became a democracy soon after, so it didn't have the contact with other nations required for inter-racial slave trade. In 2712 NG Reform laws pass that outlawed debt inheritance, so children no longer go into debt for their children.
Anyway, your reformed debt slavery law sounds very appealing. How has it worked out? If a debtor snuffs it in your workhouses, how will the creditor be repaid and how will the House itself recoup any losses incurred by the untimely demise of the debtor?
It's worked out fairly well. There was maybe some attempts at fraud, to get people to pay them, but that is pretty rare. A debtor dying basically just ends things. Some of the money out of an inherited estate may go to creditors, but otherwise debt is not inherited.
But but thoomene gough kenghmene te... What you suggest, it breaks kenghmene - reciprocity, simplified - and promotes disorder and knife-ishness. If the death of a debtor, ends the debt...what shields him from murder as a soon fate?

As my mind mulls your words, I am filling further in fear of your people. Please do dash that fear in answer to my above.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 27 Mar 2015 22:45

Ahzoh wrote:
Tell me about this empress of yours -- how is she elected? What sort of government is she head of? I have heard about this democracy thing, and am sure that in no way figures! Clearly she is an autocrat, and though I despise the tyranny of the one every bit as much as the tyranny of the many, I find it most interesting to learn about. What sort of empire does she rule over, apart from mewling slaves and desert sands!
One does not elect emperors or empresses, it is entirely hereditary. The Empress Pizata Khena is dead now and her eldest son of six children rules as Emperor now. At the and time of her rule, she commanded a vast army of 180,000 alikdad and guided the people of Verkhazh with stern justice and merciless zeal. None in history were ever as charismatic as she was, aside from Arash-Hijunu, the first emperor of Vrkhazh. She is truly of descendant of such a legendary character.
Charisma is good. Koughmene - reciprocity - is better. You feed your loyalty to your empress, I hear in your words; what does she feed you in turn? How does she reward your service to her? Or is fear her only currency?

Our own lords, the nenghme and the koughkt, are noble by birth or selection (others would say adoption-by-a-lord), but may only rise to rule if other nengheme and koughkt lift their voices to the new one's rise. That is how alliances work, after all, and how they birth.

Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 » 28 Mar 2015 02:33

Keenir wrote:
But but thoomene gough kenghmene te... What you suggest, it breaks kenghmene - reciprocity, simplified - and promotes disorder and knife-ishness. If the death of a debtor, ends the debt...what shields him from murder as a soon fate?

As my mind mulls your words, I am filling further in fear of your people. Please do dash that fear in answer to my above.
I'm not sure what you mean by "him" being shielded from death. You mean the debt holder? Why would he die if a person indebted to him dies?

On Incest
Was practiced some by royal families in the old kingdom days bu otherwise illegal. Now completely illegal. However, they don't consider cross-cousin marriage incest.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 28 Mar 2015 02:58

Ahzoh wrote:
And no, we are not Men, but Daine -- you know, People!
Daine? What is that? Something non-human. Something that doesn't belong to our world... Abominable and unnatural to our laws. It speaks, surely. It is foreign to us. Whatever a Daine is, it is not of "people". Only humans are people.
Your words grieve and frighten me! They are so typical of Men: much promise, but too often failing of their promise!
There are such wretched creatures that inhabit the Formless World, separated from us who live in the Formed world, by a thin "veil". We have no watchers to protect from the horrors, for nothing can damage them, except for certain taḵ.
Then pray they can not find your world through its veil! Tis the Watchers, or Guardians that inhabit the outer limits of reality and existence to battle such Things as dare come too close to our World. It is there at the dark edges of reality that they grapple with the Things, reducing them from fearsome predators of unfathomable quality and twisting them, as if they wielded some cosmic moebian weapon, into mere insignificance. The natures of these Watchers is unknown, though it is possible that they are Angels or gods of some sort. Or perhaps not.
I can assure your empress I have experienced the Justice of Men -- I have been cuffed, haled up before judges, tried, been found guilty, and have suffered punishments at the hands of Men your red hot poker wielding empress would cringe at, quaking with dread! I have passed through the fires of Trial and have been made to undergo the Change -- I have no fear of the wanjustice of Men!
Your powers are different in our world than it is in your world, or it may be gone completely. Your filthy kind haven't dealt with us.
(sigh) Sadly, I have dealt with worse! You and your empress are not the first Men to wield hatred against what you fear!
What is a "dwimmery"? We only know "taḵ" (magic) a force that the taḵkilad (magi) can use, but such power is limited.
Then you are not entirely ignorant! We are then what you call takkilad.
I see. Then you must suffer long under the cruelty of an illborn empress? Ah, but it matches the pattern of Man's thinking! They hate what they fear, what is different; and they despise themselves in equal measure, ensuring their own misery through insufferable governance!

But do not speak so rashly of what I have or have not suffered at the hands of Men! I was born into an empire of Men not so dissimilar to yours, ruled by mad emperors much like yours -- and oh, how just and zealous were they! I came along towards the happy and just end of the imperium of Men in that place, the country that is now called Westmarche was then called Hoopelle. My 'filthy kind' were officially classified as beasts, "...of similar intelligence and mental capacity as dogs, likewise soulless in the eyes of the Church, yet in nowise nearly as loyal as the canine race." We were locked in ghettos, unable to freely walk the streets, forced to rummage in the middens for food, frequently enslaved, ever trod under the brass heels of Men's "justice". My "crime", if you please, was "being seen in a public place" and, on top of that, "being the cause of dread fear within the heart of a lady of high quality". What rubbish! What could she possibly fear from a dirty street urchin? That her Kristian sensibility might possibly be awoken? Hah! I was made to undergo a humiliating "trial", all for the entertainment of the crowd and was given the usual sentence of "torture as seen fit". If the twisted minds of Men can come up with a device for harming their fellow creatures, I felt sure I would be put in it and drawn through it. In those, more enlightened times, torturers were leaving behind the old devices that rend flesh and tear sinews. They began to favour devices that caused pain without causing too much damage to the body. My fate was sealed when the chief gaoler uttered three most terrifying words: "Wait. He's pretty..." I should have preferred the iron maiden or the cats paws of old!

They took me to a dark place and cut my body and left me. They knew what they were doing; they knew I would be Changed. I don't know how much time passed, but they came for me and I was no longer the same. The gaoler said only: "She's prettier now. Clean her up; she'll do nicely." A curious dwimmery, that! A boy can be so cut and become something else, no longer male, not quite female. They call us those "who walk both ways" or those "who have lived two lives". For days they abused me; and finally sold me to the house of some high lord. That is the justice of Men and the mindset of small fearful people like your empress! I became his 'pretty little kitten' and was made to suffer every humiliation you can imagine. There came a chance one night after one of his indescribably lurid parties, and I took it: I slit his miserable throat while he slept and got away. It was not long after this time that the tempest finally broke over this empire of evil. Invaders came with the dawn from over the Ocean of Sunrise; their spears aimed right for the city of Hoopelle, the very heart of all depravity! I would learn later that these invaders had also suffered at the hands of Hoopelle's wicked rulers; but we Daine saw them as a chance to finally rise up and throw off our oppression. Sword and hammer, dwimmery or bare hands -- whatever weapons we had to bear, we used them to teach Men the lesson we could not teach them through all our years of patient suffering!

That was a war of blood, one whole People against another -- one would destroy and the other would be destroyed. And if the philosophers have the right of it, a harbinger of things yet to be. We were not proud of the blood rage that boiled up in our hearts -- that kind of warfare is not our kind of warfare. But our choice was destroy our tormentors or allow ourselves to be ever so slowly destroyed by them. Even the invaders dared not push any further, and we left no Men alive in the whole country, from the capital to the farthest border, big city or isolated farmstead. Those that refused to flee were obliged to die. And from the ashes of dire war rose the renewed queendom of Westmarche.

For my part, I went to Auntimoany, the country of my mother's family, and in time found healing and peace. Here, Men still irk me from time to time, but they are much more civilised here! Perhaps now you can understand our mistrust of Men.

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 28 Mar 2015 03:40

Foolster41 wrote:
Keenir wrote:But but thoomene gough kenghmene te... What you suggest, it breaks kenghmene - reciprocity, simplified - and promotes disorder and knife-ishness. If the death of a debtor, ends the debt...what shields him from murder as a soon fate?

I'm not sure what you mean by "him" being shielded from death. You mean the debt holder? Why would he die if a person indebted to him dies?
A, a pardon; accept it, I ask of you, owing to the inclarity of uncarved words. Not the death of the indebted one. No.

I say it the ensuing way, then. If a man has a debt, what is to stop him from slaying his debt holder? If the debt ends with the death of the debt holder, what reins restrain the indebted or allies of the indebted?

May this be finer put, and more pleasing towards an answer.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 28 Mar 2015 03:49

Egerius wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Only humans are people.
(Written from a 3015 AUC student's point of view [the one not studying politics from my first post].)

I'm sorry to disgust you, but the Buonavallese word 'gente' means people and we don't look like humans.
Then I'm afraid you and I will be similarly despised in that country of deserts and slaves! Men look a little like us -- we have wings, they don't; we're tall and slender, they are not so tall and are much stockier of build; even they admit we are more beautiful than they, yet they call it an otherworldly beauty. Here in Auntimoany, they call our beauty aldrihhisse, the "beauty of the Elders" -- eldritch, I think, you might say.
Do you know rodents? Do you have rats? That's what we look like, but bigger (the average verromanu is about 7.9 Buonavallese feet/1.764 Terran meters tall.)
I hope you won't take it amiss, but in my younger days I had little else to eat apart from rat! But rats in Gea do not talk or look like people of any sort! They're dirty animals that inhabit the sewers and live on filth -- but I shouldn't talk! In those days, we too were dirty People, inhabiting sewers and living on filth! Perhaps the closest we know of here are a people called Cresa -- Men call them wererats. I have never met one, but they say these Cresa are about four feet tall and are very clever.
And, of course, we speak, think and we have these magic little boxes called "computers" for more than seventy years. They do all the repetitive mathematical tasks, we use them to draw, to test and to do the research that would be too dangerous or too complicated.
Oy! Tell me about your magic boxes! In Auntimoany we have magic boxes, too! We call them pegopansophicon, and they are surely a wonder of the age! Mine has what they call an Inter Face, this kind of pliable crystal window out of which a face appears: it bids me good morning! and asks me what I wish to hear about. All I have to do is say something like "Open the Encyclopedicon and tell me about, oh, say, Polupodes" and the device will show me pictures and read from the articles it knows about Polupodes. Let's see. It has an iconograph, and a vocicaptrix -- but I think my voice sounds so ridiculous when the imps inside repeat what I've spoken into the wee brass horn! It doesn't sound like me at all -- I think that could stand some further work! It's got a lotus tempestas which can tell all about the weather at any time or place in Gea. Of course, there's a horoscopion, as well as a calendricon; those are pretty handy, though most people have little enough need to know how many minutes are gone since the third hour! It's got an arithmetispex, but I don't really use that -- I've got ten fingers and ten toes and can use them to do me sums well enough! Anyway, the thing counts by twelves, which is bloody annoying, and I haven't been able to figure out how to get to count properly in scores. (shrug) Oh, and a bonus -- it's got a wee bartleigh box in it! That's pretty deep dwimmery there, and terribly expensive. But, I can put anything at all in the wee brass door and the bartleigh box will keep it ready for me whenever I want to get out again -- no matter how small or how big the thing is! Mine is cased in eisenwood and brass, and is about the size of a pocket mancalio. Um, that's a kind of book, maybe about the size of two hands put side by side.

It's funny you call your pegopansophicon a "computer" -- for us, a computer is a person employed by an accountancy firm. They spend their days at a checkerboard counting out jetons and balancing accounts of money.

My professor said that anything showing signs of intelligence, language and culture can call themselves a 'people'.
Your magister is wise indeed! What are your schools like? I never went to a school when I was young, so had to learn everything on my own. When I moved to Auntimoany after the war, my cousins here taught me how to disconfabulate the runes and about things like geography and sawyery.
We have dogs who can think for themselves, but they attach too easily to a Verroman family.
We call them harku. They are very smart and can even understand language. I don't think they call themselves "people", but I'm sure they're pretty close! There is also a kindred of Men who are Werehounds -- very secretive lot! They're especially wary of us, because we can distinguish them from ordinary Men. I'm not sure why they wish to hide their doggy natures, though. I understand they make the best physicians of all kinds of Men.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 28 Mar 2015 05:08

*dint dint* My multidimensional gazer is faulty, I thought you were birds!
The Justice you find in your realm you will not find here... Alack, you are overconfident in yourselves! The laws of reality are different here; what strength you think you have is not so here, but rather diminished to equal footing. All you can do is match us in a fistfight, not even your wings will flight!

What do you ask what I get from her? We get prosperity from the guidence of our monarchs. Illborn? False, but it is true that she suffered no fools easily, nor enjoyed the speakings of condescending and rude cretins, like yourself.
The talking rodents speak more fitting than you, tempered by an age of reason.

I will admit however, that the people of Vrkhazh have become more... corrupted, culturally speaking. It was not quite the same today as it was 870 year ago... for one, we have become less friendly with strangers as we once were, to the point that we no longer express friendship by close intimacy and gestures. And we have become increasingly imperialistic and aggressive. Everything has gone downhill for the Empire ever since the Triad of Magi had gained strong influence over the empire and the rest of the continent.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 28 Mar 2015 15:45

Ahzoh wrote:*dint dint* My multidimensional gazer is faulty, I thought you were birds!
We have wings, much like those of the three houses of birdkind, but we are not birds. We have no beaks, no tails, no talons, we do not lay eggs! I can leap from a high place and, perhaps a little clumsily come to a safe landing, but we can not fly as birds do. Although I can not see colours well, I am told that my eyes are green, rare for the Daine of this country, and most of my feathers are blue and black; my skin is the colour of milk; and my hair is red, the one colour I can truly see! All else I see as grey or black or else radiance.

We are very fond of birds, though, and we often invite singing birds to live in our gardens. We teach them to sing along with our music using a very tiny flute. Boys are more fond of the great toothed birds, hunting birds, and they often roam the foothills with their hunting companions. Mother's brother hunts with a red eagle -- his teeth are so very sharp and his wings are nearly as long as mine all stretched out! I should not like to be a poor beast when those two are on the hunt!
The Justice you find in your realm you will not find here... Alack, you are overconfident in yourselves! The laws of reality are different here; what strength you think you have is not so here, but rather diminished to equal footing. All you can do is match us in a fistfight, not even your wings will flight!
You live in an unreal place then!, to say the principles that govern Nature are so different. It is an amazing thing to hear. Perhaps it is I ought to be asking what kind of demon you are! And I would not happily pit myself against a strong Man in a fist fight; I may have an advantage in height and grace of movement that Men can not match, but not of raw strength. That is Man's advantage. Nor in desire to seek violent resolution: that too is Man's advantage! If you wish for a fight of equal footing, then I would pit one our warriors from among Men gainst one of yours! For if you have no Daine living among you, how then can I be matched equally?
What do you ask what I get from her? We get prosperity from the guidence of our monarchs. Illborn? False, but it is true that she suffered no fools easily, nor enjoyed the speakings of condescending and rude cretins, like yourself.
More like she can not tolerate the speech of a Person equal to herself! Or one who speaks the truth.
The talking rodents speak more fitting than you, tempered by an age of reason.
Verroman. They are People, not rodents. And I am the one being accused of illspeech?
I will admit however, that the people of Vrkhazh have become more... corrupted, culturally speaking. It was not quite the same today as it was 870 year ago... for one, we have become less friendly with strangers as we once were, to the point that we no longer express friendship by close intimacy and gestures. And we have become increasingly imperialistic and aggressive. Everything has gone downhill for the Empire ever since the Triad of Magi had gained strong influence over the empire and the rest of the continent.
We have known Men since they first wandered up from the Uttermost South. In the ancient of days we found them wandering, homeless strangers: we taught them what we knew and what we had been taught by the Elders. They knew nothing of herbcraft, beast lore, stone or clay craft, nor the lore of the World or the mighty Powers that yet walked there from time to time; they knew not even their own Maker! All these things and more we taught them -- and they turned against us! Tools for crafting objects of beauty they turned into mallets for striking our heads; swift darts for hunting the fleet hooved stag they stuck between our ribs; even the lettercraft we taught them for the recording of beautiful songs, they turned that to statecraft and they built mighty kingdoms and their armies marched against us. Too late we came to know our folly: Men were yet in their infancy and we gave them too much knowledge. Even as the Teyor loved us when they first met us in our infancy, and taught us much; so too we knew that same love for the Younger Kindred!

But we were unable to impart one thing, and that was Wisdom. She only comes in her own good time; we learned then how far we had overstepped our own wisdom! Even now we grieve deep in our bones for the swiftness Men learned from us and also the folly of our teaching them so much! Yes, it is truth that Men are corrupted, less friendly, restless and aggressive: yet we ever had hope! For Men, too, are generous beyond compare, able to create things of great beauty, ever able to find grace in hopeless places. That is your gift, whether or not you know the Giver, and whether or not you squander it! Men we now know are Fallen, among the Corrupt -- this is truth, not condescension!

Yet hope ever came among Men and we watched with great anticipation as true men came up among them. We recognised instantly what they were: they were men as Men were first made, and they came living lives of such grace that we were sure others would follow their teaching, even if they wouldn't follow ours! And not long ago, did not One come, a man without comparison? A man speaking and living truth? Again we were sure others would follow him, overturn the bloodlust and the love for violence that is within Man's heart. And some did! Yet too many among Men failed of their promise again. This one was slain, and where now is the hope for Men? Those mysteries are beyond me, though I know there are Daine here in Auntimoany and elsewhere dedicated to nudging Men back to their destined greatness. Perhaps they are not fully Awakened? Maybe they need yet time to see within themselves what their gift truly is?

If I seem condescending to you, it is not because that is in my heart. It is rather exasperation! Especially when I hear a queen among Men speak so, one who ought to know better, one who ought lead Men away from corruption of heart and aggression in her statecraft, rather than lead them headlong into the everlasting Fall!

Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu » 28 Mar 2015 20:46

Greetings. I am the Shangu Mbuzha Wolu Meha Zhalu of Qu. Here, I am reading of so many different peoples and it surprises me. In Qu, there is one language, one culture. We assume always the outsiders speak one language and live along one culture. (In the past, we think the outsiders do not speak a language but just make some noises. We were wrong.) I learn existence is much bigger than I think before it is smaller. My eyes are open like I awaken for first time. I am learning humility. In Qu, I am a person who is important but in the all world, I am beginning understand I was a big fish in a small pond. Now I am in ocean.

I am on Earth. There is a teacher here who teaches me English but I still will need to learn much. I make many mistakes. My teacher says I should tell here about the Qu culture and learn about some other cultures. I think I do not understand all I read it but I try.

Slavery.

You who oppose slavery, I do not understand what do you do with criminals who you do not have to kill because they are not very dangerous. We kill the bad criminals. We make the less bad criminals are the slaves when there is not danger and we can use them for work. Criminals usually make bad children who grow up and they are criminals too, so children of slaves have to be slaves too but when they are children they do not have to work the same hard.

Incest.

We know a woman and a man who are already in one family should not together make a new family. Niniva, the mother of everything, does not like it and sometimes she makes a bad baby. We all must keep happy Niniva and Uo'u. So if someone wants to do this we must stop it.

LGBT.

In Qu, there is not problem. I learn many cultures do not like the LGBT but in Qu there is not problem about this. To us, the men men are often lazy. They live in their bachelor houses for a long time and do not help the women with the children. But many men men decide to join a house and take their responsibility. I am a balu. It means like a police or solider. If a balu is a man man, there is not big problem. Men men are often better balus. But there is law all balus have to create many children. The reason is that we make superior babies. So sometimes, a balu who is for men must lie on top of woman, but later he can again do the same with men. At women women, there is not problem. They create children sometimes, but they often are teachers. I do not know much about the the T. We sometimes say the men who fail the initiation are women and it is true some behave like women. I think a T person would is not happy in Qu but there is one good thing. There is not 'she' and 'he'. There is not pronoun problem.
elemtilas wrote:Frankly, philosophers are a usually a bunch of old white-beards in togas that like nothing more than to tuck in to a seven course dinner and argue about nothing the whole time!
It is strange to me! In your world, are philosophers men? Or do your women have beards?
Last edited by Imralu on 29 Mar 2015 05:10, edited 1 time in total.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 28 Mar 2015 23:22

elemtilas wrote:I hope you won't take it amiss, but in my younger days I had little else to eat apart from rat! But rats in Gea do not talk or look like people of any sort! They're dirty animals that inhabit the sewers and live on filth -- but I shouldn't talk! In those days, we too were dirty People, inhabiting sewers and living on filth! Perhaps the closest we know of here are a people called Cresa -- Men call them wererats. I have never met one, but they say these Cresa are about four feet tall and are very clever.
I couldn't describe the look of our people better than likening us to rats, so there's a picture from one of the spacecrafts which brought us to our world: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigentlich ... igera1.jpg
We looked like this more than four million years ago, on a planet inhabited by homines, that is, humans. We know where their planet is and our scientists are working hard to get someone there. Scientists say that the homines were facing a global disaster and had to make sure that at least some of their fauna and flora survived.
I wonder who was so interested in our survival and future - they have shipped not only us through space, but also descriptions of machines, sciences, theories, pictures, sound recordings, film and digital data we have not even deciphered yet.

And you too seem to have a history full of suffering and fear?
When you see your wererats, show them the picture I sent you and tell them I want to know more about them.
Spoiler:
Oy! Tell me about your magic boxes! In Auntimoany we have magic boxes, too! We call them pegopansophicon, and they are surely a wonder of the age! Mine has what they call an Inter Face, this kind of pliable crystal window out of which a face appears: it bids me good morning! and asks me what I wish to hear about. All I have to do is say something like "Open the Encyclopedicon and tell me about, oh, say, Polupodes" and the device will show me pictures and read from the articles it knows about Polupodes. Let's see. It has an iconograph, and a vocicaptrix -- but I think my voice sounds so ridiculous when the imps inside repeat what I've spoken into the wee brass horn! It doesn't sound like me at all -- I think that could stand some further work! It's got a lotus tempestas which can tell all about the weather at any time or place in Gea. Of course, there's a horoscopion, as well as a calendricon; those are pretty handy, though most people have little enough need to know how many minutes are gone since the third hour! It's got an arithmetispex, but I don't really use that -- I've got ten fingers and ten toes and can use them to do me sums well enough! Anyway, the thing counts by twelves, which is bloody annoying, and I haven't been able to figure out how to get to count properly in scores. (shrug) Oh, and a bonus -- it's got a wee bartleigh box in it! That's pretty deep dwimmery there, and terribly expensive. But, I can put anything at all in the wee brass door and the bartleigh box will keep it ready for me whenever I want to get out again -- no matter how small or how big the thing is! Mine is cased in eisenwood and brass, and is about the size of a pocket mancalio. Um, that's a kind of book, maybe about the size of two hands put side by side.

It's funny you call your pegopansophicon a "computer" -- for us, a computer is a person employed by an accountancy firm. They spend their days at a checkerboard counting out jetons and balancing accounts of money.
We have many different forms of computers, from big walls of boards equipped with silicon chips down to tiny chips in our cars, phones and washing machines.
The computers used by normal people have looked like this or this for the past decade (some were good to be carried around, other models were more of a game machine).
The crystal images found in the spacecrafts suggest that we're just leaving the Terran 1990s.
Our computers, which are working with just a binary number system, can receive voice commands, but the technology is rather limited.
Can you expand your pegopansophicons? We can, either by plugging in an extra board into the main board or by connecting extra peripherals in the rear connectors.
Also, our computers are keeping this inter-dimensional connection up, a mainframe from every country in my world is dedicated to the data stream reaching all of you (and, it seems, our software works too well, translating every term, even those I didn't want to be translated).
Spoiler:
Your magister is wise indeed! What are your schools like? I never went to a school when I was young, so had to learn everything on my own. When I moved to Auntimoany after the war, my cousins here taught me how to disconfabulate the runes and about things like geography and sawyery.
Thank you very much! We are learning not only about ourselves, but also about the humans who were here before us - for a very short time before moving on to another planet, so we know about and respect more than just ourselves.
Our schools are big buildings, centered around a playground and a small garden. For children before the age of seven (but not younger than four), there is a kindergarden - very useful for the parents who have to work (or lone parents).
Elementary schools have a more playful approach on a basic education (reading, writing, basic mathematical skills and sports) than high-schools.
We also have religious education, in a separate building, once a week for two hours (it's the seventh day, the Jòrno Sabeto or 'Day of Knowledge'), with separate rooms for the separate beliefs - and we're learning about the other beliefs. Visiting the church school is boring sometimes, but it's required in the school curriculum.
And we have universities (I'm visiting the one in the capital Buonavalle), where we learn about the things we like - apart from courses which prepare us for an academic career or working as a teacher.

Schools have been ideologically biased when my parents were at school, but since the peaceful revolution of 2984, this is a thing of history across the world.
Spoiler:
We call them harku. They are very smart and can even understand language. I don't think they call themselves "people", but I'm sure they're pretty close! There is also a kindred of Men who are Werehounds -- very secretive lot! They're especially wary of us, because we can distinguish them from ordinary Men. I'm not sure why they wish to hide their doggy natures, though. I understand they make the best physicians of all kinds of Men.
Werehounds? We had legends about werewolves.
I guess your werehounds don't want to be prosecuted, they are afraid of being killed because they are different from 'normal people'.
Do not fear them; the more one knows, the better he can help.
Ahzoh wrote:The talking rodents speak more fitting than you, tempered by an age of reason.
No matter how wisely the words are chosen, a sharp tongue remains cutting like a knife, my friend.
Last edited by Egerius on 29 Mar 2015 22:54, edited 3 times in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 28 Mar 2015 23:30

Imralu wrote:Greetings. I am Uolu Meha Jalu of Qu. Here, I am reading of so many different peoples and it surprises me. In Qu, there is one language, one culture. We assume always the outsiders speak one language and live along one culture. (In the past, we think the outsiders do not speak a language but just make some noises. We were wrong.) I learn existence is much bigger than I think before it is smaller. My eyes are open like I awaken for first time. I am learning humility. In Qu, I am a person who is important but in the all world, I am beginning understand I was a big fish in a small pond. Now I am in ocean.
Hihi! It is a strange wonder indeed to speak with other people through this magic box... I am still not certain if everyone lives in distant lands, or if somehow they live in other worlds, or if that is even possible! If that is so, then All That Is must be much bigger than ever we thought!
You who oppose slavery, I do not understand what do you do with criminals who you do not have to kill because they are not very dangerous. We kill the bad criminals. We make the less bad criminals are the slaves when there is not danger and we can use them for work. Criminals usually make bad children who grow up and they are criminals too, so children of slaves have to be slaves too but when they are children they do not have to work the same hard.
Among us Daine, crime is a thing almost unheard of and it is a difficult thing for us to understand, even when we see other peoples behaving wickedly! For us, whenever a Daine willfully harms another, it is because his soul is sick, his spirit somehow broken. Perhaps his guardian daimon is stronger than his guardian angel? This sickness weakens him and he may be led by that sickness to do things an ordinary Daine would not do. If the harm is not great, if the soul-sickness does not have a strong hold on the person, it may be he can be healed. We would sing over such a one, impart to him a healing grace. He might have to be confined for a time -- as anyone with a broken leg or blood poison must be -- before we could release him. If the sickness is too strong and the harm done too great, then other punishment must with heavy heart be meted out. A great crime, such as a rape or a murder, must certainly be punished, for the soul that can contemplate and carry out killing another person must surely be damaged beyond our grace to heal! Among us Daine, being separated from others of our kind is the worst punishment; so such a one is branded and cast out from all society. I have heard that, among less wise Daine folk, these may also be beaten and scourged -- so ardent is the passion against him inflamed! Sometimes they will even let such a one loose, only to hunt him down... I am uncertain which is worse: being soul-sick and willingly murdering a person, or being soul-well and choosing to hunt down or kill one who is so afflicted. These are great sorrows of the heart indeed!

Among Men, it is a different matter indeed. They are prone to commission of crimes, of failures to live rightly. And therefore, they have laws and courts of justice and judges and gaols and instruments of torture and instruments of execution. Thankfully, in Auntimoany the Men are very civilized and they do truly seek to do the work of justice fairly and honestly; they insist upon fair trials and require evidence and testimony. Men who have committed lesser crimes, I have heard, must pay some kind of fine -- money -- according to a schedule that equates a given crime with a certain amount of money. Some of that fine is paid to the aggrieved victim, while a small portion is paid to the court itself. Great crimes are punished upon the body of the guilty criminal: a murderer will almost surely be hanged; some crimes demand immurement; others torture or even death by combat. I think this is a lunacy of Men, but they always gather round the place of execution -- to watch! I have seen Men being hanged from the Great Yardarm. It is like a street theatre among Men: the children all watch and play games, there are quickfood vendors selling their wares; the magistrate in full regalia pronounces judgement publicly. The guilty is made to climb up to a very high platform where his noose is waiting for him, suspended from a great yard arm some distance away. The only sounds are the solemn beat of a single drum and the occasional howls of the victim's kin. The noose is fixed. A single viol strikes up a most merry tune you'd ever want to dance to! -- Dan Jones hys Jygge, and sure enough the poor fellow is invited to join the merry dance. Sometimes they need a little encouragement, in the form of a shove from the executioner. But soon enough the poor sod is swinging free upon the yardarm, dancing the liveliest jig upon the airs you ever saw, all to the gay and mournful strains of the viol. By tradition, he won't stop playing til the poor fellow stops dancing, so the tune often goes on and on, but a skillful fiddler can bend and twist the tune around a bit, just to give some variation. Then, once he's dead, it's off the noose and the medical college comes to collect the body in time for the afternoon anatomy lecture.
elemtilas wrote:Frankly, philosophers are a usually a bunch of old white-beards in togas that like nothing more than to tuck in to a seven course dinner and argue about nothing the whole time!
It is strange to me! In your world, are philosophers men? Or do your women have beards?[/quote]

Hihi! Here in Auntimoany, indeed most of the philosophers are Men -- and in fact, most of them are men -- males! And beards do seem to be a requirement for the job. Perhaps that is why there are no Daine among the philosophers of the Eastlands? We never grow hair on our faces! For long, it has been something of an exclusive avocation to which only males could belong. Even so, there have been some very famous women philosophers; but they have generally formed their own schools.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 29 Mar 2015 01:13

Egerius wrote:
elemtilas wrote:I hope you won't take it amiss, but in my younger days I had little else to eat apart from rat! But rats in Gea do not talk or look like people of any sort! They're dirty animals that inhabit the sewers and live on filth -- but I shouldn't talk! In those days, we too were dirty People, inhabiting sewers and living on filth! Perhaps the closest we know of here are a people called Cresa -- Men call them wererats. I have never met one, but they say these Cresa are about four feet tall and are very clever.
I couldn't describe the look of our people better than likening us to rats, so there's a picture from one of the spacecrafts which brought us to our world: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigentlich ... igera1.jpg
We looked like this more than four million years ago, on a planet inhabited by homines, that is, humans. We know where their planet is and our scientists are working hard to get someone there. Scientists say that the homines were facing a global disaster and had to make sure that at least some of their fauna and flora survived.
I wonder who was so interested in our survival and future - they have shipped not only us through space, but also descriptions of machines, sciences, theories, pictures, sound recordings, film and digital data we have not even deciphered yet.
We would never suffer Men, nor Hotai, nor anyone else to cause such a disaster that the whole World became unfit to live in! That image -- I have never seen a creature like it!, though it kind of looks like a squirrel... It doesn't look much like the rats I've around the City, anyway! "Homines" are Men? Sounds foreign. Maybe Rumelian? They talk like that. I've heard some of the sailors say words like that: "omins, omins!" And the sailors turn and say "cafetan!"

If that is what your folk looked like long ago, do you look much different now? I think we've always looked very much like we do now...we certainly didn't look like birds in our youth!
And you too seem to have a history full of suffering and fear?
Yes. My father's country, that queendom that is now called Westmarche, was for a very long time under the dominion of invading Men and Daine became their slaves. That history has been overturned!
When you see your wererats, show them the picture I sent you and tell them I want to know more about them.
I shall! I am sure there must be sòme Cresa living in the City -- Auntimoany is the Great Stewpot, after all! There are us Daine, of course, and Men -- there are blaowemen, suwartmen and blaqmen -- there are some folk called Gnomes, these are very skilled craftsmen and they work gems and metals mostly, and they are very fine artificers; there are the Werehounds, whom I've mentioned; there are Dwarrows, whose love is bronze, and iron when they can get it, there is one Dwarrow who has become a famous hair dresser, if you can credit that!
Oy! Tell me about your magic boxes!
We have many different forms of computers, from big walls of boards equipped with silicon chips down to tiny chips in our cars, phones and washing machines.
You have pegopansophicons in your walls and in your self-actuated laundry devices!? What is a 'car'? What is a 'phone'? I do like chips, though! I go down to Uncle Quham's Happy and Felicitatious Family Eating Establishment of Telerani Cookery and Cuisine -- that's a mouthfull, isn't it! -- they do a really good chicken and hot goober paste with salt-n-vinegar chips! Mmm! Extra strong vinegar please!

Umm. Why do you put chips in your self-actuating laundry device?? Do you eat while doing your laundry? We don't have a laundry machine, because Mother's sister is afraid the dwimmery will get all out of control. I've heard wild stories, but our neighbour has one -- one of Lord Maytagge's new Mark VI All-In-Ones -- and I haven't heard where it's given them any trouble. But we usually just go to one of the public laundries. They do a good job, and it's not like we have anywhere near as much clothing as most Men. Sometimes for the heck of it, we'll go down to the aqueduct spillway and do our washing there -- and then we can splash about in the cold water for a while and have some fun!

Oh, yes, pegopanshophicons...
Our computers, which are working with just a binary number system, can receive voice commands, but the technology is rather limited.
Can you expand your pegopansophicons? We can, either by plugging in an extra board into the main board or by connecting extra peripherals in the rear connectors.
Also, our computers are keeping this inter-dimensional connection up, a mainframe from every country in my world is dedicated to the data stream reaching all of you (and, it seems, our software works too well, translating every term, even those I didn't want to be translated).
I wish your magic box could translate what you just said, because even though you're talking Avantimannish, I can't make head nor foot of half of what you just said! You must be very dwimcrafty indeed to understand how your pegopansophicons work!

But yes, we can expand the box's capacities. For example, if I liked to make many iconographic images (and make them of a large size) I can go back to the artificer and have him install an ART -- an Archive Retrieval Tablet. The imps inside will paint the images upon this tablet, which can then be removed and other imps inside a different box, will repaint those images upon a much larger art canvass. Pretty nifty, that! But I think the little images that come out of the box are okay as is! It is possible to exchange one Inter Face for a new one -- but I've heard that Inter Faces can become a bit touchy if you try to change them. I guess they become attached to their mistresses or masters and feel quite put out if they're to be dismissed. One handy thing is that I can swap out the imps that know all the books: like, one imp can usually remember two or three books, so if I have a big library, I'd need a lot of imps that know all the books! Happily, there is a little brass door on the side where I can extract one case that holds a book imp and slide another case in. Then thát imp becomes ready to recite from the book I want to hear!

Are the board you shove into your computers written upon? Is that how your computers recite? I know the Daine of Westmarche carve their writings upon boards. When their reciters read, they close their eyes and touch the boards to read what's written there!

I meant to ask: what are the tiles for in front of the Inter Face? It looks like a game -- is it a board for a game? I like board games -- I'm pretty good at foxes and ludo; not so good at shatarancge or taula. On second thought, I think I like games at cards better! What kinds of games do you play? You said you have playing grounds for your little ones; what about for older folk? Or do they not like to play games any more??
Thank you very much! We are learning not only about ourselves, but also about the humans who were here before us - for a very short time before moving on to another planet, so we know about and respect more than just ourselves.
So, there are no Men in your world? I think that would be sad; it would mean much destruction and war and the end of many fair things! But the philosophers say this is to be our fate indeed!

Our schools are big buildings, centered around a playground and a small garden. For children before the age of seven (but not younger than four), there is a kindergarden - very useful for the parents who have to work (or lone parents).
Elementary schools have a more playful approach on a basic education (reading, writing, basic mathematical skills and sports) than high-schools.
We also have religious education, in a separate building, once a week for two hours (it's the seventh day, the Jòrno Sabeto or 'Day of Knowledge'), with separate rooms for the separate beliefs - and we're learning about the other beliefs. Visiting the church school is boring sometimes, but it's required in the school curriculum.
Oh, that sounds very lovely! I do so love gardens! I do not know what the inside of a school for the children of Men looks like; but we Daine school our little ones at home or sometimes several families together will teach them all in a bunch. Are your high schools built up on pillars or a hill? I don't think Men have schools of religion for their children, but I know the Kristians and the Jews and the Boddhians all have monasteries where their young men study for their priesthoods. We learn the songs and stories of the Powers and the Heavenly Father from a young age.
And we have universities (I'm visiting the one in the capital Buonavalle), where we learn about the things we like - apart from courses which prepare us for an academic career or working as a teacher.
We have universities, too. There are three, I think, here in the City. One of them is for students of physick and philosophy; another is for the Philosophical Arts -- I have a young cousin who is studying there. She is one of very few Daine who take a formal course at university. She wishes to study architecture, so she can conserve the ancient stone works of the Teyor in our cities.
Werehounds? We had legends about werewolves.
Oh, yes! Werehounds are quite different than Werewolves! They are gentle folk, retiring and intelligent.
I guess your werehounds don't want to be prosecuted, they are afraid of being killed because they are different from 'normal people'.
Do not fear them; the more one knows, the better he can help.
Oh, we don't fear them -- if anything, they are deathly afraid of us Daine! But for no good reason. We have no cause to wish them any harm. I tried talking with one once, but she kept insisting I was wrong. Huh. We are nòt wrong about those things! For one, their aura is all different. Two, we get a different feeling when in their presence than we get in the presence of other Men. I would help, but they are so afraid to teach us anything about themselves...

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 29 Mar 2015 01:30

I find it impossible at current to read the conversation. Can you guys keep it more concise or something?
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 29 Mar 2015 01:38

qwed117 wrote:I find it impossible at current to read the conversation. Can you guys keep it more concise or something?
I'm also find this less of a debate, and more another version of the "be your own conpeople" thread minus speaking in your conlang...

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 29 Mar 2015 01:50

Ahzoh wrote:
qwed117 wrote:I find it impossible at current to read the conversation. Can you guys keep it more concise or something?
I'm also find this less of a debate, and more another version of the "be your own conpeople" thread minus speaking in your conlang...
[+1]
While I feel like this is accurate, we must debate; At least they have a logically acceptable pretense for their talks. I find the "Be your own conpeople" thread to be like literary diarrhea, even worse than sixth grade poetry, or the Name Game.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.