Yabushio: timeline

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Re: Yabushio: municipality map

Post by clawgrip » 19 Apr 2015 02:32

I also have the municipality sizes. For now, the upper tier:

Kanba: 245.1 km²
Morio: 174.7 km²
Yetobara: 165.9 km²
Ofodo: 117.2 km²
Tadzuru: 110.3 km²
Tōgọ̄: 94.5 km²
Kurashiba: 79.4 km²
Tsuma: 60.4 km²
Kofori: 56.7 km²
Beppu: 40.3 km²
Ama: 35.1 km²
Nishinomiya: 31.6 km²
Ganya: 27.5 km²

Subtotals:
Yabushiojima Department: 892.6 km²
Okinoshima Department: 346.1 km²

Total:
1238.7 km²

So far, the population has climbed somewhat over 2 million, so I think I will be doing some readjustment on that to drop it down a bit.
Last edited by clawgrip on 19 Apr 2015 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Re: Yabushio: municipality map

Post by clawgrip » 19 Apr 2015 06:32

Here is the Tadzuru municipal emblem:

And the municipal flag:

It shows a crane (tsuru) against a stylized character 田, thus it represents the name of the city, Tadzuru (田鶴).

I drew the image of the crane myself, but honestly, it is a fairly common Japanese design that I mostly just copied.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Re: Yabushio: maps, flags

Post by clawgrip » 19 Apr 2015 10:08

Here is the Yetobara municipal emblem:

And the municipal flag:

The manji design reflects the existence of many Buddhist temples in this region, including the most famous, Zenpō-ji (善法寺), with its famous 12-metre tall Buddha statue.

These are also fairly traditional Japanese designs that I have combined in my own way.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 19 Apr 2015 16:40

Here is the Ofodo municipal emblem:

And the municipal flag:

The emblem is a stylized combination of 大土, the kanji for Ofodo. It is meant to evoke the natural environment of the area.
Last edited by clawgrip on 20 Apr 2015 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 19 Apr 2015 19:48

I hope I haven't said this before, but I really like how well you combine older, more traditional Japanese design elements with more modern ones, like the designs used for many of the flags of Japan's prefectures. These designs are reminiscent of prefectural flags, but they have a very unique feel to them on top of that.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 20 Apr 2015 02:26

Thanks. That's pretty much what I'm doing, looking at both traditional seals and modern flags.

Here is the Ganya municipal emblem:

And the municipal flag:

The triangle is meant to be reminiscent of the shape of the municipality itself. The three corners and three sections of the triangle represent the three towns/villages in Ganya. The character in the middle is a stylized version of the cursive character 元, the first character of the name Ganya (元屋).

I feel like I should shrink the 元 slightly. EDIT: I have resized it. It looks better.
Last edited by clawgrip on 22 Apr 2015 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako » 20 Apr 2015 02:30

Your flags are very well done. Do you plan to make them for only municipalities, or are there organizations and non-governmental flags as well?

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 20 Apr 2015 02:40

masako wrote:Your flags are very well done. Do you plan to make them for only municipalities, or are there organizations and non-governmental flags as well?
Thanks. I am not sure what all I will do. I have military flags and emblems as well. I may make a variation of the national flag to represent the "royal" family.

masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako » 20 Apr 2015 02:45

That would be interesting.

Perhaps variations to show divergent lines of heredity?

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 20 Apr 2015 03:24

That seems interesting, but I think there would be just one, used for official purposes, like the British royal standard or the Japanese Chrysanthemum flag. Probably I could call it 貴旗 kiki "noble flag".

masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako » 20 Apr 2015 11:16

Still, your efforts are creative and thorough. Kudos.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 20 Apr 2015 15:15

I think, sadly, I'm going to have to move Yabushio's second city from Ama to Togo. As much as I want Ama to be the second city, due to the mountainous terrain, I estimate that a population of around 225,000 in that city is going to result in a density of something like 16000 ppl/km² (based on an extremely rough calculation of usable land), which is equivalent to the Wan Chai district in Hong Kong, Shinagawa Ward in Tokyo, or Nakahara Ward in Kawasaki. The area where I've placed Togo City is less mountainous and has a lot more usable land. I not so sure I want the population density to be so extreme in this country. I'll have to think about this one.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 20 Apr 2015 16:14

As for my next emblem/flag, I have come up with the design principle before the imagery. This time, I want to design an emblem that is stylistically bound by an imaginary hexicon, but is not necessarily clearly hexagonal in shape. Here are some real Japanese examples:

The first one fits into a horizontal hexagon, while the other three fit into vertical ones (the last one being most obvious).

I probably won't make my design as intricate as these...I think it should be a little simpler. But we'll see what happens. I have an idea to test out.

Ketumak
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Ketumak » 20 Apr 2015 20:54

I am also liking these flags. They're simple, yet original.
Good: :fra: :esp: :por: | OK :ita:

Mohai

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 20 Apr 2015 23:16

clawgrip wrote:Thanks. That's pretty much what I'm doing, looking at both traditional seals and modern flags.

Here is the Ganya municipal emblem:

And the municipal flag:

The triangle is meant to be reminiscent of the shape of the municipality itself. The three corners and three sections of the triangle represent the three towns/villages in Ganya. The character in the middle is a stylized version of the cursive character 元, the first character of the name Ganya (元屋).

I feel like I should shrink the 元 slightly.
I know it runs counter to how most prefecture flags are designed, but it seems to me like the triangular aspect is begging to be aligned to the left edge...

Other than that I'm a fan of your vexicollogical efforts of late!

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 21 Apr 2015 04:14

Thanks.

I understand where you're coming from with the triangle, since there are a lot of flags with a triangular element on the left side, but is there any flag where the charge or emblem etc. is aligned to an edge? It seems unusual to me.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 21 Apr 2015 04:42

Good question. I'm sure there are, but I don't know of an example off the top of my head.

I do think shrinking the 元 element might be a good idea. Also, were the triangle pointing up and not to the right, I'd have never gotten that leftward vibe. Dunno how you feel about that.
Edit: The coat of arms on Spain's flag is off-center toward the left...

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 21 Apr 2015 05:31

The triangle is angled the way it is due to the shape of the county itself. Take a look at Ganya in the map on the previous page. The emblem is actually slightly off centre to the right due to its visual weight imbalance, to make it appear centred. Maybe that's bugging you. I do appreciate the comments, but I think I'm going to keep it as is. The 元 does appear to be interfering with the outer triangles though, so I guess I'll have to shrink it.

After some time thinking, I got a good idea for my next emblem/flag.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 21 Apr 2015 16:02

Okay, I have completed my hexagon-based design.

Here is the Nishinoshima municipal emblem:

Monochrome version:

And the municipal flag:

This is the flower of the nodaikon plant, which is plentiful in the region. They actually often have a lot of purple in the petals, but I left it out for simplicity.

photo: http://www.gakujoken.or.jp/kodomo_da2/c ... 03_009.jpg

I feel like there is something vaguely off about this design. A little too regular?

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 21 Apr 2015 16:31

I've redone it with a bit of curvature. I think it looks a bit better:

Third version of the flag. This is probably the best one so far: