The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by elemtilas » 07 Sep 2016 03:25

Firebird766 wrote:Interestingly, the Empire That Calls The Sun also tends to favor women over men, for various reasons mostly relating to lifespan. "We are a rarity, yes. At the time of our ascendance, we were the only with the highest and most spiritually pure of all aspects. Were that not the case, we may have become a priest instead of the Sun-Caller.
You sound more like a monk than a greatqueen! They have attained the purest spiritual existence any Daine can. I don't know how they do it, but they also long outlive most folk. I even met a monk once who was a child when Men first wandered into our lands from the West. I don't even know how long ago that was! Many ages I'm sure!

Do you mean your whole realm calls to the Sun Queen? We call her back from her sojourns into the South Beyond at Yeol, when the Winter Queen is strongest. There's ancient stories told then, and all the warriors and the sheriffs of the Thriddings dance around a bonfire all night long, singing to the Sun Queen, until she arises on the morning after Longest Night. Then we await the coming of the armies of the Spring Queen.

Even Men know how to call the Sun Queen back from the South; but they've forgotten why. Now Nico's nose crinkles in disgust: They even sacrifice a youngster to some wild beasts to ensure the return of the Sun. Or so I've heard.
"Were that the case, my liege, perhaps you would be free to pursue the Great Enemy yourself instead of delegating down to your armies," interjects Ironproof.
Who is that? Are you also a great warrior, that you might have gone after this Great Enemy?
"Perhaps. As for those of where we are from, there are Folk, there are animals, and there are a few rare others. The others are not like you- they have no wings, and they have no aspects of animals like Folk do.

I see. We have yemanggo, the plants, allemanggo, the animals and beasts and wûtqanggo, people, spirit beings and Powers.

Folk are most certainly people.

But how can they be true People if they are among the Wingless?

Nico!! Watch what you speak! Enca turns away from observing the strange folk gathered here, wondering what it is has brought them all to this curious place.

But it's true! Even Men themselves admit they are among the Fallen, that they've lost their true selves as people, that...

Enough! Enca takes Nico's face between the hands, says quietly: Some truths are enough simply to know. Especially in a place like this whose purpose we do not know! You speak with this boy-queen as if you're old chums, and yet obviously neither he nor his left-hand girl are Men nor certainly Daine nor even Teyorkind. And beyond are two Werehounds, who appear to be dressed like Auntimoanians. The only one of Mankind here is the girl at their table. Now, enough of this "true People" business! Do you understand me?

Nico's head bows slightly & nods slowly: Ya, I understand. It was wrong to speak so.

The others- it varies, but occasionally one is as well. They lack wings or any other aspects, however, and we are still unsure what Daine may be. Can you tolerate iron?" No matter what animal they take after, there is not a single Folk that does not burn under the touch of that most treacherous metal. Some fear it more than fire.
Nico's eyes widen at the mention of the black metal. Iron! That's very rare indeed! Iron touches some Daine that way. I've worked the black metal twice or thrice only. Da won't come near the stuff, and our little brothers are no better. I have to wrap my hands with cloth when working it, and even then they ache with cold for days after and my nails turn black. The grey scars disappear in a fortnight or so. It's funny: one time, I worked on a piece of black metal for days on end. My hands and forearms were all grey and numb with cold, but I couldn't stop working on it. People said I was acting strangely.

You were delirious is what you were, Nico! You had no idea of time or place except with that horrible piece of iron in your hands. That iron is like a horrible old spider, luring you away and wrapping you in her webs! You terrified me, those days.

Yeah, I know -- but I couldn't help it either! I think I finished the work, though. Anyway, Ma said I stumbled out of our workshop, sweating and vomiting. Da said I looked like an old ash pit and if I kept at it for much longer, the black metal would have killed me.

I believe him! cried Enca. As it turned out, you slept nearly a month, wandering in far places where I couldn't reach you. It was all we could do to get a little water and flummery into you and hope that you'd wake up. No healer could help. They all said you'd just have to sweat the iron out and wander back from your distant dreaming as best you could.

Nico looked from Ironproof back to her greatqueen. So, what is it with the long feathers on your heads? You said some folk in your land "take after" some kind of animal or beast. Are these what you mean? Is that why you're interested in our wings?

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 07 Sep 2016 05:00

"How does a box take you anywhere?" asks Marcella. What television is can wait for another time. Or she can just ask the next Wanderer from outside she meets. Either/or.

------

Crusader nods at Ironproof to field this one.

"There are a few misconceptions here. First, we call the sun, not the Sun Queen," Ironproof says. "I'd offer an explanation, but this isn't a temple so it would diminish His Holiness to start preaching here. Second of all, we're not wingless," She loosens a strap her armor just enough to shift it slightly to reveal a glimpse of mottled black-and-white elytra covering her back. Apparently her animal is some sort of beetle. "Third, it's not wings that make a person, it's a Name. You do have True Names, I assume?"

As her liege pulls a goatskin bag from apparently thin air and begins pouring its contents into a copper goblet -also pulled from thin air- she continues on. "Your wings interest His Holiness because they should be different. Folk have traits pulled from an animal they share their sprouting grounds with. Any animal, whether it be a bird, fish, insect, game, or lizard. Flying insects are, of course, the highest of all of them, and the silkmoth the highest of all. His Most Holy's antennae are proof he's one of them. But when bird Folk show wings, they always have them as part of their arms."

"Were you Folk, that iron would have burned hot instead of cold," says Crusader without preamble. Ironproof immediately quiets. "We are no longer concerned with that; you are not Folk- we have decided. What making of iron did you create?"

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 07 Sep 2016 06:57

Firebird766 wrote:Crusader nods at Ironproof to field this one.

"There are a few misconceptions here. First, we call the sun, not the Sun Queen," Ironproof says.
Nico's eyes cross ever so slightly, then whispers to Enca: There's a difference?

Enca shrugs slightly: These folks are obviously from a very far country, where maybe they don't know these things.
"I'd offer an explanation, but this isn't a temple so it would diminish His Holiness to start preaching here.

I'm sorry, but what is preaching? And what is a temple?

Second of all, we're not wingless," She loosens a strap her armor just enough to shift it slightly to reveal a glimpse of mottled black-and-white elytra covering her back. Apparently her animal is some sort of beetle. "Third, it's not wings that make a person, it's a Name. You do have True Names, I assume?"
Nico looks at the strange girl's back with interest; prods Enca in the side as if to say 'they're actual people!' No, wings don't make one a person; they are simply a sign that one ìs a true person. Enca sighs -- not this again! There'll be no arguing now this strange girl has shown us her wings! You see, our wings are manifest even in the lower worlds, as are those of angelkind. The wings of Teyorkind are not; only those who can see their true beings with other eyes can see their wings. The wings of Men, of the Fallen, those are lost. Some say it would require the work of a great hero to get them back, so that Men can become people again.
As her liege pulls a goatskin bag from apparently thin air and begins pouring its contents into a copper goblet -also pulled from thin air- she continues on.
The trick is not lost on Enca. 'So! You have a bartleigh box hidden somewhere. Impressive. That's good dwimmery.' Of course we have true names. All things in the world do. Those we don't reveal to strangers, and often not even to friends or family. Nico is the only person in all worlds who knows my true name. Do your folk reveal your true names to those they've only just met, or are they kept secret?

Daine of all kindreds take and are given many names in a lifetime. In some ways our names tell our stories. My given name is Swiftfeather Brass-Spoon Oldhound Bluefeathers and the family calls me Zanderam; Nico's is Bluefeathers Redstone Oldspoon Three-Dogs-Running, also called Chrisopol. Our Ma and Da gave us a name each, and our commere and compere also gave us a name each. These names always have meaning for a family, usually what was going on when a baby is being born. Most folks just call us Enca and Nico. Among other artificers that we know, we're often called the Flying Circus, on account of we love airships so much!

The true name, now that is a thing of power! It is a matter of great trust to give it to someone else; and a great burden of loyalty to receive another's true name. Nico and me are twins, as you can see. Like all twins, we share much of our heart and soul with each other. We also share our heart names -- that's what we Daine call the true name.
"Your wings interest His Holiness because they should be different. Folk have traits pulled from an animal they share their sprouting grounds with. Any animal, whether it be a bird, fish, insect, game, or lizard. Flying insects are, of course, the highest of all of them, and the silkmoth the highest of all. His Most Holy's antennae are proof he's one of them. But when bird Folk show wings, they always have them as part of their arms."
Enca's earlier mistrust seems to have evaporated -- perhaps showing off your wings does help to improve relations! This is interesting. Many Daine kindreds, and even tribes of Men, have for a custom the association of their families with a particular animal, like a tutelary guardian. Your custom seems to be different.

Nico chimes in: Hmm. I for one wouldn't want to have my arms and wings bound together that way! That sounds very uncomfortable. How can they spread their wings wide while keeping their arms down? Nico stands up to demonstrate: a seven foot tall Daine with fists planted on either hip and a sixteen foot wingspan (all stretched out, anyway!) is a bit of a sight.
"Were you Folk, that iron would have burned hot instead of cold," says Crusader without preamble. Ironproof immediately quiets. "We are no longer concerned with that; you are not Folk- we have decided. What making of iron did you create?"
Enca and Nico look at one another again, shrugging. Clearly we're not quite what this strange fellow is thinking of!

Of course iron burns hot, if it's in t'forge! Only a fool would touch it then without stone gloves or good tongs. For Daine like us, it's the cold metal that's the danger.

Anyway, this girl came visiting from east away, over by Tarrio on the Marches. Her brother rode with the sheriffs and was killed in a fight. He carried, of all strange things, an iron sword. Twas a slender thing, more fitted for display than hard work. Maybe he thought it would cut through anything. Anyway, it was shattered, and so was his head. No healer could mend such a terrible wound! The sword came back to Tarrio and the sister eventually found herself in Sulerrio on a visit. It was the time of the Midsummer Fair, and artificers and makers and weavers and crafters of all sorts had gathered to show off their skills and trade some goods. Me and Enca both were there. She saw my metalwork and opened her kit bag and tipped out a load of broken iron sword shards into a wooden bowl Enca had made.

She says: can you make a neck piece from these? I said: sure! (Any chance to work the black metal -- and this was no ordinary stuff, twas good skymetal!) She says: no, not just a big clunky torc; I want to turn this broken sword into a delicate thing of great beauty.

So I thought about it, melted it all down, drew out all kinds of wire and made tiny ingots. She got an neck piece made of the finest skymetal wire, twisted into vines and leaves, filigree, beadwork, syogun(*) flowers, enamelwork and delicate tracery.

Hm. Shame I can't remember what it actually looked like!

Enca continued: It actually was quite beautiful. It was made to flow like cloth almost, and it draped over her left shoulder and whenever she moved her arm, tiny bells, each of them well tuned, would tinkle a merry air.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 07 Sep 2016 12:51

Firebird766 wrote:"How does a box take you anywhere?" asks Marcella.
I either type in my destination, or I use a fingerprint/DNA scanner. Then I insert a key, push a button and moments later I am where I want to be, Argenzu replies.

Berenice starts drawing the scenery with the Dainefolk on a piece of paper she brought with her.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 07 Sep 2016 17:24

That is one of the weirdest things Marcella's ever heard. "...what? How? What powers it? Don't go to the City with it, or someone'll confiscate it." Morza alone would give his right eye for something like that. Archon would happily give Morza's right eye, too. Rust and ink, Archon would make the streets run with blood if it meant he could go anywhere in an instant.

-----

"We know how True Names work, and no Folk would share one with another without need. We know hers-" At this the Crusader nods at Ironproof. "-because it is necessary." Bodyguards needed to be sworn to extreme loyalty when protecting someone so important. There were far too many stories about kings or emperors who neglected this and found their guards suborned.

Now that was an impressive wingspan indeed. "Bird Folk cannot do that. Their arms are their wings- to spread one is to spread both. That is, if they have wings. Some have beaks insted, or talons, or merely a coat of feathers."

Ironproof waits a polite second for Crusader to continue before jumping in with her own concerns. "I beg your pardon, you said you made something to wear? Out of iron? I hope you padded it well underneath, because the girl certainly had no sense at all in her head," she says, bluntly. There were some fool Folk who thought iron could be used in such a way, usually to repel other Folk, but it always burned them eventually.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 07 Sep 2016 17:42

Firebird766 wrote:That is one of the weirdest things Marcella's ever heard. "...what? How? What powers it? Don't go to the City with it, or someone'll confiscate it." Morza alone would give his right eye for something like that. Archon would happily give Morza's right eye, too. Rust and ink, Archon would make the streets run with blood if it meant he could go anywhere in an instant.
Luckily I live on a different rock than him. Besides, the TARDIS would not work without me.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 07 Sep 2016 18:18

Egerius wrote: Then I insert a key, push a button and moments later I am where I want to be, Argenzu replies.
Firebird766 wrote:That is one of the weirdest things Marcella's ever heard. "...what? How? What powers it? Don't go to the City with it, or someone'll confiscate it." Morza alone would give his right eye for something like that. Archon would happily give Morza's right eye, too. Rust and ink, Archon would make the streets run with blood if it meant he could go anywhere in an instant.
Enca can't help but take notice at the mention of any kind of flying machine, shifting gaze towards the two Werehounds across the room. Particularly one that can arrive at one's destination within moments! The response is barely audible: I'm with you, sister -- either this Werehound is lying or is a right dwimcrafty fellow indeed!

"We know how True Names work, and no Folk would share one with another without need. We know hers-" At this the Crusader nods at Ironproof. "-because it is necessary." Bodyguards needed to be sworn to extreme loyalty when protecting someone so important. There were far too many stories about kings or emperors who neglected this and found their guards suborned.
Nico's jaw drops and eyes widen. People would actually seek to harm or kill a queen and to say nothing of a queendom's sheriffs turning on its own folk! That seems wonderously strange... I've heard tell of these things happening in the realms of Men. Their queens have, um, knights that stand round their table and throne, watching out for other Men of ill will. Our queens need no such. The sheriffs watch over all the land and folk of a queenhold. Daine would never think of bringing harm to others by treachery!

Enca whispers: There was the Kin Strife, dear Nico. Don't forget that.

Nico pauses, trying to remember the lessons about that war. Yeah... That was very bad. But in the end, folks came to their senses! Even the Outsiders could see they were wrong. And wasn't it the Greatqueen herself as put a stop to the killings?
Now that was an impressive wingspan indeed. "Bird Folk cannot do that. Their arms are their wings- to spread one is to spread both. That is, if they have wings. Some have beaks insted, or talons, or merely a coat of feathers."
Nico smiles at the thought of being covered in feathers or having a beak in stead of a jaw. I think if I had to have a beak in stead of my jaw, I'd rather have one with teeth, like an eagle's. Much more fearsome! But I wonder how they can talk? Or whistle? We often use feathers as decoration, but I don't think I'd fancy being all covered with them!
Ironproof waits a polite second for Crusader to continue before jumping in with her own concerns. "I beg your pardon, you said you made something to wear? Out of iron? I hope you padded it well underneath, because the girl certainly had no sense at all in her head," she says, bluntly. There were some fool Folk who thought iron could be used in such a way, usually to repel other Folk, but it always burned them eventually.
Enca laughs at this. No, no padding! I know I wouldn't even touch the thing, but she seemed quite thrilled with it and wore it the rest of the fair. Many folk saw her and commented on the brightly polished metal against her skin, the beauty of the craft. And they were right to do so! Wasn't it my Nico that made it for her? And the colors of the enamelwork and polished stones complimented her eyes beautifully. She was never burned by the skymetal that I know of, and for all I know, she's wearing it still. I'm sure she never knew at what cost it was made; but I am happy the metal was made into a thing of beauty. Iron and skymetal are far too rare to be wasting on swords and weapons!

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 08 Sep 2016 06:46

"There's a lot more than one dangerous person in the City," Marcella corrects. After all, she never once mentioned Archon out loud- he's not exactly someone you want to talk about if you want to make a good impression. "Some of them are even women, like Ix-Ajaw and Ma Regina."

------

"Watch your tongue," snaps Ironproof. No one said anything about guards turning on their betters. There are plenty of other useful things you can do with a True Name, as you should well know." Talk of treason, especially treason in the Empire, had to be curbed even if it was from some stranger who wouldn't know any better.

As Crusader sips from the goblet he summoned, she continues along the train of thought she had initially been on. Namely, that iron as something to wear is a horrible idea. "Was she some other, than? Possibly human? If a Folk were to wear something like that, they would die in agony from iron burns."

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 08 Sep 2016 11:45

Firebird766 wrote:"There's a lot more than one dangerous person in the City," Marcella corrects. After all, she never once mentioned Archon out loud- he's not exactly someone you want to talk about if you want to make a good impression. "Some of them are even women, like Ix-Ajaw and Ma Regina."
None. None of these names make sense in any language I know.
Argenzu takes off his glasses and wipes his face. He types something into his computer.
An image of a plane taking off loads.

And honestly, I give a fuck on these people. If they don't know and can't locate Newman-576d, the Terran name of my home planet, they won't find me. And even then, good luck finding a rodent out of billions in a world nobody knows.

While he talks, Argenzu turns around his laptop to show that picture to Marcella. And he hands over the paper wrapping he's been writing on.
The writing reads "I gave the aluminium wrapping to Marcella. A. M. 23. X 3016 AUC/2216 AT" in Buonavallese and Wínlandisc.The style is simple.

So. You don't have TV, computers, cars, freaking sunlight and, as it seems, formal, state-regulated education.
What about airplanes?

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 08 Sep 2016 18:43

Firebird766 wrote:"Watch your tongue," snaps Ironproof. No one said anything about guards turning on their betters. There are plenty of other useful things you can do with a True Name, as you should well know." Talk of treason, especially treason in the Empire, had to be curbed even if it was from some stranger who wouldn't know any better.
But!...Nico can hardly reply when Ironproof continues, turning back to Enca.
As Crusader sips from the goblet he summoned, she continues along the train of thought she had initially been on. Namely, that iron as something to wear is a horrible idea. "Was she some other, than? Possibly human? If a Folk were to wear something like that, they would die in agony from iron burns."
Enca catches a glimpse of the Werehound's airship that has appeared in his(?) crystal seeing box...how can that be? There are no fans, and her wings do not mimic those of a bird, her tail seems all strange and she is not properly painted! (An airship should look more like this!)

Oh, no! She wasn't a Man, just Sharrundaine. Very pretty, but much sadness and gaiety in her eyes. I know such a thing would burn me! But it delighted her no end. Some folk simply react differently to the black metal.

I've met some folk of Mankind -- strange creatures, Men. There is a country of Men to the west of our place, across the river. When we were little, I used to swim across the river at the shallows and talk with the children who lived in the old farm just over the border. I remember they each wore a tiny amulet of iron on a string round their necks. One time the eldest girl asked me why I didn't wear such an amulet. I said the metal would hurt me and they called me an Elf-child, because only an Elf-child would be burned by iron, and that's why they all wore them, to keep the Elves from snatching them.

I said I was no Elf, and they said sure you are: you can't touch iron and when you throw off your dirty rags to swim in the river, you look like a white swan. They said all Elves are skinchangers, and there was no arguing with them after that. Now, I've never met an Elf, but I've met several skinchangers, and I know I'm not either!

Why is it your folk believe iron is such a horrible thing to wear? It doesn't seem to hurt most folks -- just Daine like us. And apparently Elves!

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 08 Sep 2016 19:58

Yay, writing. Marcella can write, but only in the language of the City- which is basically what you get when you throw thousands of languages into one blender and hit 'start.' In short, she doesn't know what it says but the Engineers might have a clue, if she can get the note to them without being dragged in for a sermon. Maybe she'll be able to find out what was so important that it had to be written instead of spoke.

"That's why I've been saying don't take it t' the City. Finding you'll be real easy if you just up and appear on their front door." She peers at the picture. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a clear reference for scale, except for the houses in the background. And since those look tiny compared to the plane... "If we had those I think someone would have bragged about it already. That thing could crush an entire block."

------

"Iron. Burns. To touch," Ironproof says as if explaining something very basic along the lines of 'the sun is bright' or 'Folk without wings can't fly.' "Wounds inflicted by it can't be healed by magic and leave ghastly scars if they do heal naturally. Some fools try to use it as a weapon, but for every bandit or infantryman that manages to cause pain with it, there are three more that burn themselves by mistake."

"It doesn't stop the Great Enemy from using it, but he never did care about what happens to his soldiers. He's a madman."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 09 Sep 2016 00:50

Firebird766 wrote:"Iron. Burns. To touch," Ironproof says as if explaining something very basic along the lines of 'the sun is bright' or 'Folk without wings can't fly.'
Enca returns a bit of a blank look. Obviously this girl isn't saying anything profound here! Well, ya! It makes my feathers stand on end just getting near the stuff! I can't imagine myself actually touching the stuff. But, well, some people just aren't affected by it that way!
"Wounds inflicted by it can't be healed by magic and leave ghastly scars if they do heal naturally. Some fools try to use it as a weapon, but for every bandit or infantryman that manages to cause pain with it, there are three more that burn themselves by mistake."
Nico says: Don't I know it! I survived all that contact with iron and no one was able to heal the sickness. Anyway, it's much too valuable to be used as a weapon. Swords and knives are easily lost during battle. Better to make hammers or ploughs or bolts or something with the stuff. You know, something useful!
"It doesn't stop the Great Enemy from using it, but he never did care about what happens to his soldiers. He's a madman."
Hmm. This Enemy of yours sounds horrible. No good leader does those kinds to his warriors -- there's no respect in harming your own lads! The warriors are the leader's brothers after all and they look out for one another, not let each other fall into needless harm. Even Men know these things, even if they don't always do them.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 09 Sep 2016 05:16

"Valuable, nothing. It's a blight on the land. You've clearly never seen someone who's breathed in iron dust." Ironproof has. It's hard not to, when His Holiness gets it in his mind to personally attend battlefields. Sure, it's great for morale, but Ironproof would really like to not have to try to protect her liege from entire armies at a time, thank you very much.

"The Enemy is an abomination," says Crusader, grimly. "He cares for nothing but his own grasping for power, and he would happily slay thousands to claim a single acre more of land. We will see to it that he is destroyed."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 09 Sep 2016 06:59

Firebird766 wrote:"Valuable, nothing. It's a blight on the land. You've clearly never seen someone who's breathed in iron dust." Ironproof has. It's hard not to, when His Holiness gets it in his mind to personally attend battlefields. Sure, it's great for morale, but Ironproof would really like to not have to try to protect her liege from entire armies at a time, thank you very much.
Does your country have so much iron that it is valueless? asks Nico. That folk can waste it on breathing the dust? In every land I've heard tale of, it is exceedingly rare. Unless it fall from the sky... And even then, it is most uncommon. No one can mine for it, and even the Gnomes who delve deepest of all say they've not found any.

I guess that's good for the Elves! There is so little of it for them to fear. Hopefully they will not take advantage -- their powers are formidable. Even we would find a war them most difficult.

Sss! Enca hisses in disgust. They are nasty folk. Worse even the evil of the Hotai -- they think nothing of what is right or good. Nor evil nor wrong. They follow only their own whims. Let them stay buried in their hills!
"The Enemy is an abomination," says Crusader, grimly. "He cares for nothing but his own grasping for power, and he would happily slay thousands to claim a single acre more of land. We will see to it that he is destroyed."
Well, he sounds like a simply horrific queen! Queens do not grasp for power; they accept the doom of their commission gracefully on behalf of all their folk and they reign wisely and justly, a servant to all, for a time and then walk away from the throne when called. Men make war on one another (and us!) in order to grab land and power. Our Greatqueen put a stop that kind of thing a long while ago; and it sounds like you and your greatqueen have a noble quest to put paid to such a tyranny!

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 09 Sep 2016 12:38

Firebird766 wrote:She peers at the picture. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a clear reference for scale, except for the houses in the background. And since those look tiny compared to the plane... "If we had those I think someone would have bragged about it already. That thing could crush an entire block."
Look closely — there are more planes near the hangar — that long building with the arched top; that's how big planes really are, Argenzu elucidates.
Anyway, I've never been flying. It's expensive, and I don't entirely trust these things.

Do you have, um, radio?

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 09 Sep 2016 18:02

Ironproof rests her forehead on her palm, frustrated. How do they not know the most basic of all things? How did they survive without knowing the most basic of all things? Even children just wandered in from the woods don't need to be told this! "It's valueless because it's poison and death. I really don't see why you're having trouble understanding this. Do your people routinely use harmful and corrupt things in everyday crafting?"

"Our quest is holy," Crusader corrects Enca. "We would be diminished were we to ignore the grievous insult he has given to the world."

------

"Eh, kinda?" Marcella says, shrugging. "The Engineers have a set-up in the Old District ventilation tower, but it's only on if they have something important to say. I managed to get a turn-crank radio, so I can hear it at any time, but sometimes people just don't have the batteries to listen in. There's also the occasional walkie-talkie but those tend to end up in the hands of neighborhood leaders, or cabal,"

She thinks for a moment. He's been asking a lot about what they do and don't have, so he'd probably be interested in a quick simplification. "You can probably assume that if you need lots of fuel to use the tech, it's long been disassembled for parts. Fuel's needed for streetlamps, cooking, and forging useless stuff into good stuff. Batteries are much more flexible."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 09 Sep 2016 19:06

Firebird766 wrote:Ironproof rests her forehead on her palm, frustrated. How do they not know the most basic of all things? How did they survive without knowing the most basic of all things? Even children just wandered in from the woods don't need to be told this! "It's valueless because it's poison and death. I really don't see why you're having trouble understanding this. Do your people routinely use harmful and corrupt things in everyday crafting?"
Both Nico and Enca are at a loss. Nico tries to make sense of the senseless: Well...anything can be máde into something harmful. Many things may be nature bé harmful and lifegiving all at once. Like water -- try to breathe that for too long and we'd die! Or wood -- if the frames of a burning house fall on a person, he'd be burnt to a cinder before he could escape! Even iron -- I can smell it in the blood of a freshly butchered animal or in the blood of an injured person. There's a little bit even in our blood. A monk could put it better I'm sure, but it's just the nature of things to be both, um, hannan and haurin. Um, like white and black or high and low, all at once. Do you understand what I mean?

Your country must simply be awash in the black metal for you to value it so little and to think of it as poison! I reckon too much of it wouldn't be a very good thing! Really, in all my life, I think I've seen maybe a stoneweight* of the stuff, and most of that was the sword the visitor brought me to rework!
"Our quest is holy," Crusader corrects Enca. "We would be diminished were we to ignore the grievous insult he has given to the world."
What is meant by "holy"?

(*) A stoneweight is a measure of weight in Westmarche equalling about two and a quarter pounds.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 09 Sep 2016 23:17

Have you considered letting criminals generate electricity with stationary bicycles? It could work if there's enough inmates, a battery and everyone would take turns of... half an hour to one hour, maybe.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 10 Sep 2016 07:35

"Criminals usually just get bits chopped off, but if you tell me how to make something like that and how much power we can get from it I can see if the Engineers would be interested. They have to keep the acolytes busy somehow." She wouldn't be giving them the information for free, of course. Have to pay tithe and rent somehow, and it'll do her reputation in Semistone good if she's actually seen doing something honest for her living instead of just claiming it's honest.

------

"If we were awash with iron, the Folk would all be dead. The others would blanket our cities and the air we breathe with it. It is to the benefit of all the land that the stone it comes from is rare and hard to work, and that others are too new to the world to know how to find it," Ironproof says bluntly. How hard can it be to understand this? Awful things are not suddenly made valuable just because they are rare! "There are things that are good and holy, things that are tainted to various degrees, and things that are nothing but taint. Iron can never be used for something good, because it is nothing but death and corruption."

"So it has been, ever since the fall of the First," says Glorious Crusader. "So it shall be until her folly is forgiven."

Automatically and as if reciting a prayer, Ironproof answers, "May it happen before the Time of Turmoil."

"If you want to know what is holy, you must come with us to our world and visit the temples of First and Silver Stream. You are an other, so you will not be able to enter the one we speak to, but we can have an attendant show you to ones that those who are not Folk may visit."

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 14 Sep 2016 23:51

Firebird766 wrote:"Criminals usually just get bits chopped off, but if you tell me how to make something like that and how much power we can get from it I can see if the Engineers would be interested. They have to keep the acolytes busy somehow." She wouldn't be giving them the information for free, of course. Have to pay tithe and rent somehow, and it'll do her reputation in Semistone good if she's actually seen doing something honest for her living instead of just claiming it's honest.[/color]
I don't know how much electricity you'd make, but you'd have to attach dynamos to each bike, connect the cables to a converter and feed the electricity to the main power — or a battery. I'm not an electrician, so you'd have to ask one of yours.

Hm, is there something you'd ask me about?