The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by elemtilas » 15 Sep 2016 16:24

Firebird766 wrote:"Criminals usually just get bits chopped off, but if you tell me how to make something like that and how much power we can get from it I can see if the Engineers would be interested. They have to keep the acolytes busy somehow." She wouldn't be giving them the information for free, of course. Have to pay tithe and rent somehow, and it'll do her reputation in Semistone good if she's actually seen doing something honest for her living instead of just claiming it's honest.
Egerius wrote:I don't know how much electricity you'd make, but you'd have to attach dynamos to each bike, connect the cables to a converter and feed the electricity to the main power — or a battery. I'm not an electrician, so you'd have to ask one of yours.
------

"If we were awash with iron, the Folk would all be dead. The others would blanket our cities and the air we breathe with it. It is to the benefit of all the land that the stone it comes from is rare and hard to work, and that others are too new to the world to know how to find it," Ironproof says bluntly. How hard can it be to understand this? Awful things are not suddenly made valuable just because they are rare! "There are things that are good and holy, things that are tainted to various degrees, and things that are nothing but taint. Iron can never be used for something good, because it is nothing but death and corruption."
Both Enca and Nico are at a loss to understand this strangeness, when it is obvious that all things are imbued with their proper natures at Creation. Enca pauses momentarily: I think your country must be very different from ours indeed!

We have learned much, but if you will be so gracious as to pardon us, we would speak of certain matters with the Werehounds and the Mannish girl over yonder...

They rise & bow as one, their left wingtips turned out & down towards the floor. They gather their things and cross the room.
Egerius wrote:Hm, is there something you'd ask me about?
...If we may join you? Enca begins.

Nico breaks in: We couldn't help but notice the picture in your crystal seer. The one with the airship? She has some kind of wings, but doesn't look like a bird. How can she fly with such strange wings?

They must be made with great dwimmery!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 15 Sep 2016 23:34

Egerius wrote:I don't know how much electricity you'd make, but you'd have to attach dynamos to each bike, connect the cables to a converter and feed the electricity to the main power — or a battery. I'm not an electrician, so you'd have to ask one of yours.

Hm, is there something you'd ask me about?
"Not really. I mean yeah, it'd be keen and clear if I could set up a trade route with your land and mine, even if it's just for water." It wasn't a bad idea. Morza would come and take over eventually, but she could make a lot of ingots in the meantime. And maybe she'd look just a little more legitimate in the eyes of the law. "But you can't come in with your machine without someone trying to take it, and it'll be impossible to find a route through the Underground; get deep enough in, and the doors slam shut with enough force to break tethers. So whatever I might be curious about won't matter in the long run."
elemtilas wrote: ...If we may join you? Enca begins.

Nico breaks in: We couldn't help but notice the picture in your crystal seer. The one with the airship? She has some kind of wings, but doesn't look like a bird. How can she fly with such strange wings?

Marcella looks up at the newcomers. "I dunno. Wings are wings, aren't they? Bits to stick out and catch the air. Do yours work?"

One might think that someone living in a place with no birds might not know what wings were. But outsiders told tales, and when she was young one had even tried to make wings from cloth and plastic to fly with. It hadn't worked well.

-----

The Emperor and his bodyguard both go back to their business of idly watching the happenings in the inn.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 16 Sep 2016 03:47

Firebird766 wrote:
elemtilas wrote: ...If we may join you? Enca begins.

Marcella looks up at the newcomers. "I dunno. Wings are wings, aren't they? Bits to stick out and catch the air. Do yours work?"
Wings are wings!? Well, obviously not! A bird's wings helps him fly, as does his tail and the shape of his body; and birds are the best at flying. An airship can fly because, like the bird, her wings are bird-wing-shaped; her tail fans out like the bird's; her body is shaped like a bird's and her wings bend and twist like the bird's. How can an airship fly when its wings look more like fence stakes? And it is not even painted to look like a bird! Very strange indeed.

And, of course ours work! Not for flying of course, we are not birds. Our wings are for talking, and for balancing, and sometimes for fighting or even embracing.
One might think that someone living in a place with no birds might not know what wings were. But outsiders told tales, and when she was young one had even tried to make wings from cloth and plastic to fly with. It hadn't worked well.
Enca notices the strange girl's hands. What happened with your fingers? We've some kin who were young during the days of the Old City. A few of them have fingers or toes with bits missing. They don't much like to talk about it, but I gather they were being punished for something. I think that's terribly foolish. Did the rulers really think this would deter them, and not just force them to become much more creative about not getting caught next time?

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 16 Sep 2016 18:13

elemtilas wrote:...If we may join you? Enca begins.

Physics, Argenzu says almost at the same time as the word ‘dwimmery’ falls.
The plane's wings are stiff, because the movement is done by turbines just underneath the wings.
And these wings have a special shape to lift the plane...

Hmm, you look familiar. Do you know, uh, Canash?
Firebird766 wrote:"Not really. I mean yeah, it'd be keen and clear if I could set up a trade route with your land and mine, even if it's just for water."
"But you can't come in with your machine without someone trying to take it, and it'll be impossible to find a route through the Underground; get deep enough in, and the doors slam shut with enough force to break tethers. So whatever I might be curious about won't matter in the long run."
Trade? Impossible — my folk barely made it to the moon and back; most of our space adventures are unmanned, slow, expensive and unreliable — I don't even know where in the universe you live – or whether you live in my universe at all...
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 17 Sep 2016 05:54

elemtilas wrote:Enca notices the strange girl's hands. What happened with your fingers? We've some kin who were young during the days of the Old City. A few of them have fingers or toes with bits missing. They don't much like to talk about it, but I gather they were being punished for something. I think that's terribly foolish. Did the rulers really think this would deter them, and not just force them to become much more creative about not getting caught next time?
Marcella shrugs. She didn't really see what the big deal was- other clusters sometimes went to taking heads instead of being nice enough to give a warning first. She was in the 'not getting caught next time' camp herself, but she wasn't about to say that out loud. "Well, if you have thieves' hands, then people know to watch you to make sure you don't make a grab for something. The real deterrent is second offense- someone with this gets caught stealing and they take the rest of your hands. That makes it real hard to keep stealing."
Egerius wrote:Trade? Impossible — my folk barely made it to the moon and back; most of our space adventures are unmanned, slow, expensive and unreliable — I don't even know where in the universe you live – or whether you live in my universe at all...
"Yep, impossible. Underground connects everything, yeah, but going from one end of the Underground to another is a rust-headed thought. Dunno what's the moon but I bet it ain't anywhere I can get."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 17 Sep 2016 23:59

Firebird766 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Enca notices the strange girl's hands. What happened with your fingers? We've some kin who were young during the days of the Old City. A few of them have fingers or toes with bits missing. They don't much like to talk about it, but I gather they were being punished for something. I think that's terribly foolish. Did the rulers really think this would deter them, and not just force them to become much more creative about not getting caught next time?
Marcella shrugs. She didn't really see what the big deal was- other clusters sometimes went to taking heads instead of being nice enough to give a warning first. She was in the 'not getting caught next time' camp herself, but she wasn't about to say that out loud. "Well, if you have thieves' hands, then people know to watch you to make sure you don't make a grab for something. The real deterrent is second offense- someone with this gets caught stealing and they take the rest of your hands. That makes it real hard to keep stealing."
Are you saying you're an actual thief!? Enca looks puzzled...how could anyone just...take...things? Or folk that were so maimed were called thieves, but they really weren't. They rarely did more than scrounge for a scrap of something to eat from a rubbish bin in an alley in the Old City. Men took great delight in nipping off bits of finger or toe or wingtip in those days!
Egerius wrote:
How can she fly with such strange wings? They must be made with great dwimmery!
Physics, Argenzu says almost at the same time as the word ‘dwimmery’ falls.
The plane's wings are stiff, because the movement is done by turbines just underneath the wings.
And these wings have a special shape to lift the plane...
But how can she dip and turn if she can't twist her wingtips? Ah, a turbine is a kind of whirling wind. Are you saying there are fans within those barrels under the wings? Our airships have great fans set up on the wings, but we don't put em in barrels! I remember watching the ships that went into the West during the War. They were very big indeed! Nine broad pairs of wings and twelve fans.

Our poor airship had but one pair of wings and one fan up at the beak. She was a grand old flier! Could soar with the eagles and play about with the most agile of roarkies! I suppose when we get home, we'll just have to build another...

Anyway, what is physics? I reckon it must be like wiscraft and dwimmery, if your folk can make airships at all like ours! Or is it like sums? Enca says you need to do a lot of sums to design a cracking airship. I hate sums, me. Writing too. Pains my arm no end. Enca's really good at all that. I do much better once the design is all sorted and we can talk about how to make the parts and bind em together!
Hmm, you look familiar. Do you know, uh, Canash?
Nico's head tilts slightly to the right. No, I know of no Daine by that name. Qanash is another, and very old!, name for our queendom. That was its ancient name, before Men came into the land. Now we call it Harathalliê but many folk know it as Westmarche. We live in the West Thriding, down by the river Canasawack and the border with Arcaster.

Wait. Are you saying we are not the first Daine you've seen before? This Canash was a Daine too?

Nico looks more closely at Argenzu What kind of person are you? I don't think we've tales or sawyery of anybody quite like you. You have no wings and do not look like us, so you aren't Daine. You are clearly not Man. You don't radiate, so aren't Teyor. You haven't tried to kill anyone or steal everything from them, so you aren't Hotai. I've heard tell of Werehounds, a kind of Man that has the form of a hound, but you don't really look much like a hound of any kind to me!

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 19 Sep 2016 20:09

"No. No no no no past tense was stupid when I was young I ain't losing my hands." You don't just ask something like that! What if one of Morza's agents was listening in? Marcella got here somehow, so one of them sure could. "Pretty sure you can't lose bits by scrounging through garbage, 'cause that means no one owns it anyway so it can't be stolen. Why would anyone throw out food, though? 's a stupid thing to do."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 20 Sep 2016 00:40

Firebird766 wrote:"No. No no no no past tense was stupid when I was young I ain't losing my hands." You don't just ask something like that! What if one of Morza's agents was listening in? Marcella got here somehow, so one of them sure could. "Pretty sure you can't lose bits by scrounging through garbage, 'cause that means no one owns it anyway so it can't be stolen. Why would anyone throw out food, though? 's a stupid thing to do."
I am sorry if this question has made you feel anxious! It's just that I can't help but notice some similarities. In the times of the Old City, Men would hang a Daine for a lesser crime. It is my opinion that they are simply barbaric and desirous of watching other beings suffer. I suppose they never cut our hands off because there are so many more fingers and toes to nip off!

The "crime" wasn't stealing food from a bin. The crime was being a Daine while stealing food from a bin. Enca's mouth hardens slightly, eyes narrow almost imperceptibly. I agree with you on this: Men in those times knew little of how to properly dispose of their waste. They never would have missed the scraps we were forced to take. Even their pigs and the rats in the alleys ate better than many of us. They've been gone these seventeen score years from the land, and we still find rubbish heaps full of useful materials.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 20 Sep 2016 00:47

Firebird766 wrote:Dunno what's the moon but I bet it ain't anywhere I can get."[/color]
A moon is basically a rock. Sometimes filled with methane or other stuff, but the moon of my world is basically a giant stone gravitating around Rodentèrra.
Getting there would require an insane amount of education, physical exercise and many, many tests and simulations — nothing for you, Argenzu says, looking at Marcella's muliated hand.
elemtilas wrote:
But how can she dip and turn if she can't twist her wingtips?
Hm... Actually, they do twist their wings — at least parts of it.
Huh... um..., Argenzu types something into his computer. Finally a picture pops up. See here. And right behind the turbines are the engines that put the whole thing into motion.
Anyway, what is physics? I reckon it must be like wiscraft and dwimmery, if your folk can make airships at all like ours! Or is it like sums? Enca says you need to do a lot of sums to design a cracking airship. I hate sums, me. Writing too. Pains my arm no end. Enca's really good at all that. I do much better once the design is all sorted and we can talk about how to make the parts and bind em together!
Physics is part testing and experiments, part numbers, part building. Its subjects are energy (heat and such), time and the movement of matter across space.
Wait. Are you saying we are not the first Daine you've seen before? This Canash was a Daine too?
Yup. He... she was here before, and uh... now I don't have any pictures of her, but it might help if I tell you that Canash was forced into a sex change by some other people.
Nico looks more closely at Argenzu What kind of person are you? I don't think we've tales or sawyery of anybody quite like you. You have no wings and do not look like us, so you aren't Daine. You are clearly not Man. You don't radiate, so aren't Teyor. You haven't tried to kill anyone or steal everything from them, so you aren't Hotai. I've heard tell of Werehounds, a kind of Man that has the form of a hound, but you don't really look much like a hound of any kind to me!
I am a rodent, as is my companion/friend. See here, no canines, Argenzu moves his head so the two Daines see the side, then he lifts his lips, so that his teeth are visible — indeed, there's a bit of a gap.[/quote]

Berenice continues drawing, smiles, and seems to ignore the conversation — this scene is way rarer than winning a lottery. Except... She does ask Argenzu something:
You're saving that on tape, right?

As if I'd miss that, he answers.
So, we call ourselves Verromani in Buonavallese — or Verrománs in Saselvan. Other people from my world call themselves by other names.
Oh, and I've met a Hotai here, Iarag — he didn't kill, he didn't steal, he actually was very friendly – though a bit rough.

We've got tales of Werewolves, too. And we have dogs.
Argenzu types something into his laptop. The TARDIS outside disappears, and a split second later, it re-appears on the same spot.
The beige box opens and a rather large figure slowly becomes discernible from the machine, slowly moving towards the entrance of the inn...

Edit: Corrected bad quoting and a spelling mistake.
Last edited by Egerius on 20 Sep 2016 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 20 Sep 2016 03:59

Egerius wrote:
Firebird766 wrote:Dunno what's the moon but I bet it ain't anywhere I can get."[/color]
A moon is basically a rock. Sometimes filled with methane or other stuff, but the moon of my world is basically a giant stone gravitating around Rodentèrra.
Getting there would require an insane amount of education, physical exercise and many, many tests and simulations — nothing for you, Argenzu says, looking at Marcella's muliated hand.
Selanna is what we call the greater of the three moons. Yeolê's Mirror. When we make guiraethrondein, you know, gazing up into the stars?, when we see Selanna, we can watch the clouds and storms pass across her face. We can see the seas and lands there; and we wonder what sorts of folks live there...

Men call her the sister of Gea.

Actually, our last flight was something of a try to see if we could fly there! Most folks thought we were nutso. But you hear stories. You know, folks coming from elsewhere...um...and here we are and here you are! Certainly some kind of airship ought to be able to get us from Gea to Selanna!
elemtilas wrote:
But how can she dip and turn if she can't twist her wingtips?
Hm... Actually, they do twist their wings — at least parts of it.
Huh... um..., Argenzu types something into his computer. Finally a picture pops up. See here. And right behind the turbines are the engines that put the whole thing into motion.
Enca and Nico sit transfixed, staring at the crystal seeing chest. Enca's eyes grow quite large. If one could fall in love with an airship design, well... Now that's a big airship! And it's all made of bronze(*) you say? I see -- it looks something like how our airships actually bend or twist their wings, yours kind of fold a bit. The end effect must be similar: when that flappy bit drops down, your bird'll drop height, just like ours!
Egerius wrote:
Physics is part testing and experiments, part numbers, part building. Its subjects are energy (heat and such), time and the movement of matter across space.
Nico's right wing flicks momentarily: Ya. That's thaumology all right! Dwimmery is the shifting of things seen & unseen and manipulating djuses and forces and joining them all up with devices and engines.
Egerius wrote:
Yup. He... she was here before, and uh... now I don't have any pictures of her, but it might help if I tell you that Canash was forced into a sex change by some other people.
Nico's gaze shifts from the airship to Argenzu, whose words take a moment to sink in. Enca pokes Nico in the ribs: Ah, she's a Walker -- a boygirl. Not many down our way. Sad really. Back in the days of the Old City, it was one of the sports of Men to maim a likely young boy, turn him into a girl and then abuse her or rent her out for abuse by wealthy nobles. Heartsick, if you ask me. Enca's nose crinkles in disgust at the thought of what this Qanash must have undergone I'll bet she was a stunner, this Qanash -- most Walkergirls are. Aren't they, Nico my love?

Nico's arms cross; chest, neck and face begin to redden noticeably. mmbll.mmbl

Nico met one once. Eyes were as good as brazed to that girl, eh! I know I shouldn't tease, but really, you could have taken all the hints she was giving out! I mean, sure they look like girls on the outside, but very few can mimic a girl well enough to pass. They're all boy inside!
Egerius wrote:
I am a rodent, as is my companion/friend. See here, no canines, Argenzu moves his head so the two Daines see the side, then he lifts his lips, so that his teeth are visible — indeed, there's a bit of a gap.
Nico shakes off the momentary embarassment & looks up at Argenzu again. A rodent? Like a rat? I say, that is quite a gap in your teeth! Nico returns the gesture and gives Argenzu a nice toothy grin.
Egerius wrote:Berenice continues drawing, smiles, and seems to ignore the conversation — this scene is way rarer than winning a lottery. Except... She does ask Argenzu something: You're saving that on tape, right?

As if I'd miss that, he answers.
So, we call ourselves Verromani in Buonavallese — or Verrománs in Saselvan. Other people from my world call themselves by other names.
Oh, Farromanni? That sounds like how the Arcastracians talk, over across the river from us! They call us Heltemanni. I think it means "brave folk" or something like that. Ya, and for that matter: older Daine of Westmarche have a lot of words like that when they talk. Most of us younger folk have learnt the common Daine speech; but our granma's daddi, he can really lay on the Old Talk! He'll say things like 'oo, naow-yit zwa til ze hevens i tha fluggel do opp't'gaan naow!'

But he can talk the Queranaran as well as any. Down our way, there's still an active society of old poetry composing. They cultivate the Old Talk. I like the rolling sound of it, but don't understand it well. A lot of his words are backward, you see.
Egerius wrote:Oh, and I've met a Hotai here, Iarag — he didn't kill, he didn't steal, he actually ways very friendly – though a bit rough.
Nico nods vigorously. Wait! An actual Hotai? That didn't kill you and spit you up for nammets? Sounds more like a Turghun. Ya, they're good folk! Once they get out of the mountains, that is, and learn to be civil a bit! They're some kind of mestizo between Daine and Hotai. If he had wings, he'll be a Turghun for sure. Lots of them live up near the fountains of Canasawack. What with the wars going on down south away, quite a few have taken to travelling through Westmarche to get down to Vana where the queen there is fighting off the Warlords. They make great warriors -- I'd certainly not want to tangle with a Turghun in a fighting mood!

In fact, I made good friends with one fellow come back from the wars. He stayed with us a year or so. We learned a lot from each other and had grand adventures over the river! Sure, they're a bit rough, but if you have a Turghun as a friend, you have a friend that will watch over you and your kin as well as he does his own. And they're as fierce as any Daine when it comes to defending their families!
Argenzu wrote:We've got tales of Werewolves, too. And we have dogs.
Ah, the hound! Surely the best of Daine companions! We keep three kindreds: the greathound, or harcu; the lesser hound (something like a wolf-dog) and of course the fox. Indispensable, all three!

What is a werewolf!?
Egerius wrote:Argenzu types something into his laptop. The TARDIS outside disappears, and a split second later, it re-appears on the same spot.
The beige box opens and a rather large figure slowly becomes discernible from the machine, slowly moving towards the entrance of the inn...

(*) "Bronze" is, apart from the actual alloy, a generic word for "metal of any general kind"

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 20 Sep 2016 05:56

Yeah this conversation's moved on a bunch. Marcella is going to call it a light-cycle and get home before streetdark. "It's been fun and thanks for the candy, so I'm gone. Friends'll worry if I'm away too long, might think something's happened. Have good times and stay light." With a goodbye wave, she collects her sock and shoe and leaves through the door she came in from.

------

As Marcella leaves, she passes by someone coming in. This someone is a woman in a long tunic that hangs past her knees, dyed carmine red and fastened with a sash in the same style (but different colors) as the arrogant man of House Otla. Trailing behind her is a young man in a plain, undyed tunic and trousers setup, also wearing a sash (albeit a simple white one), and carrying a large case.

As the pair claim a table, the woman calls out, "Anyone feeling tired? Ill? Are you prone to attacks of the stomach or lung? I'm offering a basic examination to anyone who so desires it, free of charge! My credentials are golden, and I have the support of two noble Houses, so be secure that you will get the best of care!"

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 22 Sep 2016 23:56

elemtilas wrote:Oh, Farromanni? That sounds like how the Arcastracians talk, over across the river from us!
No, no, I mean Verromani Ver, from Latin vir ‘man‘ and Romani from the river that flows across Buonavalle, Ruma.
Nico nods vigorously. Wait! An actual Hotai? That didn't kill you and spit you up for nammets? Sounds more like a Turghun. [...]
In fact, I made good friends with one fellow come back from the wars. He stayed with us a year or so. We learned a lot from each other and had grand adventures over the river! Sure, they're a bit rough, but if you have a Turghun as a friend, you have a friend that will watch over you and your kin as well as he does his own. And they're as fierce as any Daine when it comes to defending their families!
Or Turghun, I don't remember. Anyway, I've got that picture of him.
Argenzu shows the two Daines Iarag's picture on his laptop.
He lost his sister and I was fortunate enough to make a copy of an original drawing of Iarag's sister by Lefric Gower.
What is a werewolf!?
A werewolf is, according to legends, both ours and human, someone who transforms into a wolf-like creature under the influence of the full moon.

The creature that slowly becomes recognizable from the windows in the Inn is Argenzu's dog, Edelwulf.
He enters the inn, with a briefcase in one of his hands, and sits down quietly between Berenice and Argenzu.
Berenice gets out a book and an exercise book — she's doing her homework for her Alanic course. Her laptop is inside its case in the bag.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 23 Sep 2016 12:49

Egerius wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Oh, Farromanni? That sounds like how the Arcastracians talk, over across the river from us!
No, no, I mean Verromani Ver, from Latin vir ‘man‘ and Romani from the river that flows across Buonavalle, Ruma.
Oh. Ferromanni? Still sounds Arcastracian! I've heard of the Remanni, they live in the Peleg, far to the east, but no Romanni. If I remember right, the Arcastracians call a man ferres.
Egerius wrote:
Nico nods vigorously. Wait! An actual Hotai? That didn't kill you and spit you up for nammets? Sounds more like a Turghun. [...]
Or Turghun, I don't remember. Anyway, I've got that picture of him.
Argenzu shows the two Daines Iarag's picture on his laptop.
He lost his sister and I was fortunate enough to make a copy of an original drawing of Iarag's sister by Lefric Gower.
Both Enca & Nico tense up at hearing this, edging slightly closer together. They look at both images intently. Enca's eyes are teary: The poor lost fellow! Yes, he is Turghun. It is no small thing for a Daine to lose his twin! It is no better than having one's heart torn in half, for the loss of a twin is the loss of one self! The remaining half is damaged almost beyond repair. It is not this way for Men or Teyor, but for us, twins are bound as if one person living in two bodies. He must be so terribly lonely, wandering the paths of the world without her. It is not unknown for the bereft twin to seek out his own death, so that he might go on in search of his missing half. Enca sighs very deeply I do not know what I would do without my Nico!

The latter touches the images gently: What happened to them? Did he say?
Egerius wrote:
What is a werewolf!?
A werewolf is, according to legends, both ours and human, someone who transforms into a wolf-like creature under the influence of the full moon.
Like a skin changer? You know, folks that can make their bodies like those of a beast? Odd that they can only do this with the full moon? Is there a reason for that? What other interesting bits of sawyery do you know about?
Egerius wrote:The creature that slowly becomes recognizable from the windows in the Inn is Argenzu's dog, Edelwulf.
He enters the inn, with a briefcase in one of his hands, and sits down quietly between Berenice and Argenzu.
Berenice gets out a book and an exercise book — she's doing her homework for her Alanic course. Her laptop is inside its case in the bag.
Nico's eyes widen: Huy! Now that's a hound and a half! Ours can't carry anything in their paws.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 29 Sep 2016 01:35

No buyers? The woman is undeterred. You can't be a Naqin herb-doctor without being tenacious. "Come on now, step right up! There's got to be someone in here feeling down and out of sorts. I am a real, trained doctor and I am offering real exams at no cost. This is, again, absolutely free. Not one single ada will come out of your pocket, and for who knows how big the benefit?"

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 02 Oct 2016 16:06

Firebird766 wrote:No buyers? The woman is undeterred. You can't be a Naqin herb-doctor without being tenacious. "Come on now, step right up! There's got to be someone in here feeling down and out of sorts. I am a real, trained doctor and I am offering real exams at no cost. This is, again, absolutely free. Not one single ada will come out of your pocket, and for who knows how big the benefit?"
Enca can't quite contain curiosity, turns towards the strange but very nicely dressed girl: "Umm. What is a, er, duckter?" The left index finger wanders up to the little space behind the left canine tooth -- a sure sign of disquieted curiosity "And what are attacks of stomach and lung?"

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 02 Oct 2016 18:28

elemtilas wrote:Enca can't quite contain curiosity, turns towards the strange but very nicely dressed girl: "Umm. What is a, er, duckter?" The left index finger wanders up to the little space behind the left canine tooth -- a sure sign of disquieted curiosity "And what are attacks of stomach and lung?"
Well it was about time that someone final- that person has wings! Wow that's cool! "A doctor is a treater of illnesses and ailments, my dear good sir! Come, have a seat. Netza, if you would-" The young man sets the case down, then pulls a chair free from the table and gestures at it invitingly. "There we go. As for attacks of the stomach and lung, what I mean is how have they been working lately? Have you been experiencing excessive belching? Vomiting at all? Have you been wheezing or hard of breath lately? In fact, is there anything at all that has been ailing you?"

Retrieving the case, the woman opens it just slightly and pulls out a few things- a knife, a fire piston, a very small, covered oil lamp, and a long wooden tube with a flare on the end.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 02 Oct 2016 19:11

Firebird766 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Enca can't quite contain curiosity, turns towards the strange but very nicely dressed girl: "Umm. What is a, er, duckter?" The left index finger wanders up to the little space behind the left canine tooth -- a sure sign of disquieted curiosity "And what are attacks of stomach and lung?"
Well it was about time that someone final- that person has wings! Wow that's cool! "A doctor is a treater of illnesses and ailments, my dear good sir! Come, have a seat. Netza, if you would-" The young man sets the case down, then pulls a chair free from the table and gestures at it invitingly. "There we go. As for attacks of the stomach and lung, what I mean is how have they been working lately? Have you been experiencing excessive belching? Vomiting at all? Have you been wheezing or hard of breath lately? In fact, is there anything at all that has been ailing you?"

Retrieving the case, the woman opens it just slightly and pulls out a few things- a knife, a fire piston, a very small, covered oil lamp, and a long wooden tube with a flare on the end.
Now it is Enca's turn to blush red, eyes widen noticeably, the right fist raises slightly, elbow down, a sure sign of considerable annoyance! Enca stands, wings raised slightly, hands on hips, teeth clack smartly twice, dquu-dquu! "I am a gìrl! She sighs, shrugs, mumbles: "Men never get it right..."

Nico giggles quietly, wondering when someone was going to bring this up. He thought for sure it would be taciturn Berenice, all quiet in her "studying", but surely the most attentive stranger in the whole place.

Enca steps lightly over to the chair, a much more unfamiliar thing than the benches at the other tables. She steps carefully onto it and settles down into a comfortable squat, arranging her feet and wings just so and her colorful racca over her lap. "So, a duckter is a kind of healer? Why should my lungs attack me? Well, the only time I was short of breath was before Nico and I got here. We were flying up high in the air, then we started to feel dizzy. I think I fell asleep, because the next thing I remember is crawling out of the wreck of our poor airship! I have never been ill in the way Men become ill, if that's what you mean."

"What are those things you have in your medicine box?" Her left finger wanders again to her canine tooth. "Our healers remedy all manner of hurts and broken bones and even poisoning; but I've never known them to use knives or wooden trumpets. Is your magic a musical kind of healing?"

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 03 Oct 2016 05:08

elemtilas wrote: Now it is Enca's turn to blush red, eyes widen noticeably, the right fist raises slightly, elbow down, a sure sign of considerable annoyance! Enca stands, wings raised slightly, hands on hips, teeth clack smartly twice, dquu-dquu! "I am a gìrl!

elemtilas wrote:She sighs, shrugs, mumbles: "Men never get it right..." I have never been ill in the way Men become ill, if that's what you mean."

"What are those things you have in your medicine box?" Her left finger wanders again to her canine tooth. "Our healers remedy all manner of hurts and broken bones and even poisoning; but I've never known them to use knives or wooden trumpets. Is your magic a musical kind of healing?"
Oops that was a bit of a faux pas. Oh well. It was good that this winged woman corrected her, though- that meant that some things could be ruled out and others ruled in, that little comment about never being ill notwithstanding. "The knife is just for if I have to open a vial or whatever else; I'm not a priest, so I'm legally not allowed to offer or perform bloodletting. This hearing-tube, though- that's so I can listen to your lungs and heart. The lamp-" She gestures to her apprentice, who has gotten to work lighting a piece of tinder in the fire piston, so as to light the lamp with it. "-is to make it easier to examine you, particularly your eyes to see how your pupils react to sudden light."

"The chair will be more comfortable if you sit on it instead of squatting," mutters Netza the apprentice.

The woman sighs and pulls another item from the case- a short, flat strip of leather sewn to a handle- and swats Netza across the shoulders with it. "Don't be rude."

"I'm just saying, maybe you should ask if maybe she has some pain in her rump to be sitting like that?"

The woman raises the strap again, and the young man takes a step away from the table, hands out in an appeasing gesture. The woman sighs, lowering the strap. "I apologize for my apprentice. He hasn't learned yet how to act in front of patients. His name is Netza, by the way. Mine is Yavilremi Risatri, of House Aceres and Xohua both."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 03 Oct 2016 12:38

Firebird766 wrote:
elemtilas wrote: Now it is Enca's turn to blush red, eyes widen noticeably, the right fist raises slightly, elbow down, a sure sign of considerable annoyance! Enca stands, wings raised slightly, hands on hips, teeth clack smartly twice, dquu-dquu! "I am a gìrl!

elemtilas wrote:She sighs, shrugs, mumbles: "Men never get it right..." I have never been ill in the way Men become ill, if that's what you mean."

Oops that was a bit of a faux pas. Oh well. It was good that this winged woman corrected her, though- that meant that some things could be ruled out and others ruled in, that little comment about never being ill notwithstanding. "The knife is just for if I have to open a vial or whatever else; I'm not a priest, so I'm legally not allowed to offer or perform bloodletting. This hearing-tube, though- that's so I can listen to your lungs and heart. The lamp-" She gestures to her apprentice, who has gotten to work lighting a piece of tinder in the fire piston, so as to light the lamp with it. "-is to make it easier to examine you, particularly your eyes to see how your pupils react to sudden light."

"The chair will be more comfortable if you sit on it instead of squatting," mutters Netza the apprentice.

The woman sighs and pulls another item from the case- a short, flat strip of leather sewn to a handle- and swats Netza across the shoulders with it. "Don't be rude."

"I'm just saying, maybe you should ask if maybe she has some pain in her rump to be sitting like that?"

The woman raises the strap again, and the young man takes a step away from the table, hands out in an appeasing gesture. The woman sighs, lowering the strap. "I apologize for my apprentice. He hasn't learned yet how to act in front of patients. His name is Netza, by the way. Mine is Yavilremi Risatri, of House Aceres and Xohua both."
Now Nico's attention is drawn by all the activity of the strange healer; stands and bows to the two Rodents who are absorbed in their farseeing boxes; pushes one of the 'chair' things next to Enca. No more sure what to do with it than her, Nico too steps up on the broad base of it and settles into a kind of crouch, hair and wings draped over the back of it.

"You can hear her heart with that thing? I can hear her heart all the time." Nico pauses for a moment, head begins bobbing rhythmically.

"And what will that lamp tell you about her eyes? They're grey..."

"Blue, love. Just like yours, as I keep telling you."

"Anyway." Nico looks over at the other figure, wondering about the rough treatment. "She your Ma or something, the way she gets after you? Or a slave? I've heard Men keep slaves and sometimes give em a thump if they think the poor sods are out of line."

"Ss!" Enca's elbow digs into Nico's side. "She said he's her prentice, right? He's got rights and all, doesn't he? Anyway, Netza, I've never actually seen this 'chair' contraption before. Benches and stools, yes, but I'm not entirely certain what the cage thing is for." She reaches behind her back and taps the wood of the backrest.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 03 Oct 2016 19:18

elemtilas wrote:"You can hear her heart with that thing? I can hear her heart all the time." Nico pauses for a moment, head begins bobbing rhythmically.

"And what will that lamp tell you about her eyes? They're grey..."

"Blue, love. Just like yours, as I keep telling you."

"Anyway." Nico looks over at the other figure, wondering about the rough treatment. "She your Ma or something, the way she gets after you? Or a slave? I've heard Men keep slaves and sometimes give em a thump if they think the poor sods are out of line."

"Ss!" Enca's elbow digs into Nico's side. "She said he's her prentice, right? He's got rights and all, doesn't he? Anyway, Netza, I've never actually seen this 'chair' contraption before. Benches and stools, yes, but I'm not entirely certain what the cage thing is for." She reaches behind her back and taps the wood of the backrest.
"Indenture," Netza corrects idly, passing Risatri the lamp. "Standard apprentice contract."

The doctor is far more interested in explaining things than discussing the distinct and occasionally arbitrary differences between slavery and indentured servitude in her home country. "Your back leans against it and your arms go on the rests," she explains, rapping the back of the chair. "We use them in Naqil to correct postural issues, but some foreign places- like this inn, apparently- use them all the time. Being honest, cushions are much nicer to sit on, but we use what we have and all that." She tugs a string on the lamp's cover, opening an aperture through which light shines. "Looking at eyes lets me see if anything's wrong. Normally, your pupil expands with light on it. If it doesn't, then that means something's wrong and needs to be fixed. I can also check for forming cataracts, misalignment, all sorts of problems. Cataracts are easily fixed, some other things aren't."