The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by Egerius » 03 Sep 2016 16:34

Argenzu listens eagerly to Marcella. After she stops taking, he takes the camera and makes multiple photographs of the coins, verse, reverse, edges.
Now he, instead of taking out his money, loads an image on his laptop's screen which displays three almost identical sets of banknotes and coins. Only now he gets out his purse – under the table – and takes out one set of coins for demonstration.
Most coins are round, except the 10, 20 and 50 nummu coins, which are octagonal. The one and two denaru coins have a bimetal look, similar to the 1 and 2 euro coins in Europe *here*, except that the two denari coin has an inner square with rounded corners which stands on one of them.
The 1, 2 and 5 nummu coins are of bronze colour, the 10, 20 and 50 nummu coins are silver. No coin substantially consists of precious metals.

The notes on the screen have a value of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 denari/sols/lire, varying in colors from denomination to denomination.

Do you have banknotes? Like those on the screen? We use both in everyday purchases, but you wouldn't, says buy a single bread roll of 15 nummi with anything higher than a 10 denari note – that would be too much change.
Before I forget mentioning it, the Ladroman Republic is in a monetary unit with the Saselvan Republic and the Argemontese Republic. That's why the banknotes are so similar – and even the coins. We can use any of the three currencies, denaru, sol and lira anywhere in the three countries and they are accepted equally.
I think I have a Saselvan coin somewhere...
Argenzu crams not only a 1 sol coin out of his purse, but also a 2 lire coin. The designs are almost identical, except for the writing and the motifs on the reverse of the coins.
Firebird766 wrote:"The smell of tobacco makes people not breathe? That's madness talk. Everyone smokes."
Argenzu comes over to Berenice and Otla. He speaks in a stern voice.
Do you want to get cancer? Because smoking gives you cancer, slowly, but steadily, until you cough up blood, your teeth rot and your lung becomes as black as night.
You heard the lady — no smoking inside.

Argenzu sees the old man holding the lighter. He shakes his head, takes the hand of the man in which the lighter is and pushes it close to the chest of that man.
Then he goes back to his place.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 03 Sep 2016 18:45

Marcella looks at the variety of coins and banknotes on the screen. There's quite a few of them- more than she would normally expect anyone would have. Six coins and eight notes, in three different varieties each? That would get simplified in short order in the City. "No, just the coins. Coins can be melted down for the metal, if you have the fuel and an intake forge. Paper money can't. It's pretty useless.
Egerius wrote:Do you want to get cancer? Because smoking gives you cancer, slowly, but steadily, until you cough up blood, your teeth rot and your lung becomes as black as night.
You heard the lady — no smoking inside.
Ugh, this beast-man sounds like one of those alarmist doctor types. Weren't they all discredited years ago? Well, only thing you can do with those types is be blunt and hope they realize you can't be badgered into believing whatever madness they're spouting. "You stomp away only so you can eavesdrop? Is that what I'm hearing? What I do is my own business. Back off."

Marcella rests her forehead in the palm of her hand. Great. It looks like bars are the same everywhere. Any moment now there will be yelling and then punching and then she'll never get that drink she ordered back on page 15. "If you two fight I'm not splitting you up," she says to Argenzu as he comes back. "You're both bigger'n me and I'd get bruised up right quick."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 03 Sep 2016 22:10

Firebird766 wrote:Ugh, this beast-man sounds like one of those alarmist doctor types. Weren't they all discredited years ago? Well, only thing you can do with those types is be blunt and hope they realize you can't be badgered into believing whatever madness they're spouting. "You stomp away only so you can eavesdrop? Is that what I'm hearing? What I do is my own business. Back off."

the old man quietly slides a small brass knob on the side of the silver dish. a very quiet sound as of air flowing emanates from within.

u. ruu a iiri et asoaso. he makes a fluttering motion with his fingers, indicating the flow of smoke from smoker to smoke dish.

gwunggwung an ruu!

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 04 Sep 2016 01:28

Firebird766 wrote:Marcella looks at the variety of coins and banknotes on the screen. There's quite a few of them- more than she would normally expect anyone would have. Six coins and eight notes, in three different varieties each? That would get simplified in short order in the City. "No, just the coins. Coins can be melted down for the metal, if you have the fuel and an intake forge. Paper money can't. It's pretty useless.
And it's getting even funnier: We play with plastic, too. That is, my balance is saved on a magnetic strip and a microchip of a card. I don't use it much, though, because it's getting out of hands with those damn hackers...
Ugh, this beast-man sounds like one of those alarmist doctor types. Weren't they all discredited years ago? Well, only thing you can do with those types is be blunt and hope they realize you can't be badgered into believing whatever madness they're spouting. "You stomp away only so you can eavesdrop? Is that what I'm hearing? What I do is my own business. Back off."
I've got the ears for that. Big, sensitive rodent ears. Besides, if you're going to do something that affects me too, I make use of my liberty to throw in my opinion – the smoke spreads and I'm going to inhale the shit you're about to puff. If you want, I can show you what happens of you smoke too much – no charges, guaranteed. [;)]
He's right, Berenice says, smoking's really bad. It's even running on television on World Cancer Day. Chocolate tastes way better than this shitty tobacco, anyway.
Marcella rests her forehead in the palm of her hand. Great. It looks like bars are the same everywhere. Any moment now there will be yelling and then punching and then she'll never get that drink she ordered back on page 15. "If you two fight I'm not splitting you up," she says to Argenzu as he comes back. "You're both bigger'n me and I'd get bruised up right quick."
I've got someone else to beat up people for me. Nobody's going to risk that, Argenzu says, while leaning over to Marcella.
If you want your drink, close your eyes and wait a few seconds. The service works telepathically.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 04 Sep 2016 03:48

Ok, it doesn't look like there's going to be a fight right now, though Marcella is a little worried about who that 'someone else' might be. But if there's not going to be a fight, then she can wait for her drink in pe- okay, really? It's going to just appear on the table while she's distracted? Fine, she can deal with that. She's not sure if it really is the telepathy Argenzu mentioned, or just a really sneaky waiter, but whatever. It's... beer? That works.

Now, back to the money conversation and less on the annoying-stranger conversation."Plastic, really? That's kind of a weird thing. I mean, yeah some of it can be melted down but a lot just gives off fumes and that's no good. I'm not really sure how you would save a balance on a piece of magnet, either. Just seems silly to me."

---

Otla waves off the old man. Blowing air isn't fire, and fire is really what he wants right now. "Just because you've never had good tobacco-" is what he starts to say before Berenice's words really catch up to him. "Wait, chocolate? You mean cocoa? You've had cocoa?" He sounds one part surprised and one part outraged. Cocoa consumption is heavily restricted in Naqil, after all. It's a nobleman thing, not fit for commoners. And these beastmen certainly don't look for noblemen.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 04 Sep 2016 04:49

Firebird766 wrote:Otla waves off the old man. Blowing air isn't fire, and fire is really what he wants right now. "Just because you've never had good tobacco-" is what he starts to say before Berenice's words really catch up to him. "Wait, chocolate? You mean cocoa? You've had cocoa?" He sounds one part surprised and one part outraged. Cocoa consumption is heavily restricted in Naqil, after all. It's a nobleman thing, not fit for commoners. And these beastmen certainly don't look for noblemen.

hrhrh! the old man nods patiently, smiles, makes namaste. clearly not as civilised as the other folk around the place this evening, but nevertheless quite the interesting specimen!

other duties need tending, and he has kept Them waiting long enough. nothing for it now but to hope the half-barbarian will figure out how the smoke and vapour ingesting wonder vessel of happy tobacco ritual ash and smoke works; but there will probably be ashes to sweep up later all the same . . .

for now, he sidles away, broom in hand, humming quietly to himself.

he pads over to the small door by the hallway leading to the comfort rooms, enters, closes the door but fails to latch it properly.

only the very observant and the ultra-violet seers will notice the flashes of deep blue light from under the door.

when the door falls open a crack, the only occupants of the closet are a curious old broom and a banged up dust pan.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 04 Sep 2016 12:11

Firebird766 wrote:Now, back to the money conversation and less on the annoying-stranger conversation."Plastic, really? That's kind of a weird thing. I mean, yeah some of it can be melted down but a lot just gives off fumes and that's no good. I'm not really sure how you would save a balance on a piece of magnet, either. Just seems silly to me."
Yeah, I'll explain. It's not a magnet on which the balance is saved, but a paste of iron. It is charged by a magnet in a specific way, and that pattern corresponds then to your name, your banking institution, your balance and I believe a few other things saved on that strip, and the microchip in a software-coded form.

Oh, and there's different kinds of plastic. The flexible type is recycleable, the stiff one isn't, but you'd have to ask a chemist for the details.
"Just because you've never had good tobacco-" is what he starts to say before Berenice's words really catch up to him. "Wait, chocolate? You mean cocoa? You've had cocoa?" He sounds one part surprised and one part outraged. Cocoa consumption is heavily restricted in Naqil, after all. It's a nobleman thing, not fit for commoners. And these beastmen certainly don't look for noblemen.
In my world, chocolate is a common, everyday good. People eat it, people drink it, people bathe in it... And it comes in many varieties and brands. If you want some, ask Argenzu. I can't eat it.
Berenice points at Argenzu. He gets out four bars of chocololate out of his bag.
One is milk chocolate, another white, the third is milk chocolate with nougat filling and the last one is milk chocolate with caramel filling.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 04 Sep 2016 18:46

Egerius wrote:Yeah, I'll explain. It's not a magnet on which the balance is saved, but a paste of iron. It is charged by a magnet in a specific way, and that pattern corresponds then to your name, your banking institution, your balance and I believe a few other things saved on that strip, and the microchip in a software-coded form.

Oh, and there's different kinds of plastic. The flexible type is recycleable, the stiff one isn't, but you'd have to ask a chemist for the details.
Yeah she knows about the different kinds of plastic. There's the kind that makes up junk toys, the kind that makes up piping, the kind that makes up bags... But that's less important than the weird magnet strip money thing. "That seems weird. How do you tell how much you have? With coins, you can just count them. But I don't think you can see the magnetics on a thing."
In my world, chocolate is a common, everyday good. People eat it, people drink it, people bathe in it... And it comes in many varieties and brands. If you want some, ask Argenzu. I can't eat it.
Berenice points at Argenzu. He gets out four bars of chocololate out of his bag.
One is milk chocolate, another white, the third is milk chocolate with nougat filling and the last one is milk chocolate with caramel filling.
Otla's face says it all. As much as he'd like to see what kind of cocoa comes in bar form instead of cans of powder or easily-storable bricks, he'd much rather pretend that Argenzu doesn't exist. "Well of course you can't eat it," he says, leaning forward in his chair. "You're commoners. I don't care how common it is in your land, cocoa is for noblemen."

Marcella, on the other hand, has no compunctions against shifting an aluminum eighth-ingot in Argenzu's direction before grabbing at the milk-chocolate-and-caramel bar. Look, candy is one of those things that gets bought up very quickly when it appears in the Markets. Chocolate, especially so. Unless she's physically stopped, she's having one.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 04 Sep 2016 21:45

Firebird766 wrote:"That seems weird. How do you tell how much you have? With coins, you can just count them. But I don't think you can see the magnetics on a thing."
I'd need a machine for that. That machine would read the magnetic strip and the chip and assemble the charge into something comprehensible. Or you can get a printout at your bank's ATM.
Otla's face says it all. As much as he'd like to see what kind of cocoa comes in bar form instead of cans of powder or easily-storable bricks, he'd much rather pretend that Argenzu doesn't exist.
Argenzu sees Otla's face and immediately grabs the camera to make more than just one photo of that wonderful view.
Ha! I wanted to see that face all the time. :mrgreen: And that it is a result of such a simple thing like chocolate bars makes it eight times more amusing. [xD] He laughs.
"Well of course you can't eat it," he says, leaning forward in his chair. "You're commoners. I don't care how common it is in your land, cocoa is for noblemen."
Not where I come from, Prince Rainbow. There's something called allergies. If you had one on peanuts, you'd ban everything they are in and you'd burn the plants until they're extinct, because they'd kill you when you merely touch them.
Heh, baffled by an ordinary chocolate bar. Send me these shots, Argenzu!
Berenice giggles, then laughs out loud. Meanwhile, the overly laughable photos Argenzu made appear on Berenice's laptop screen, one by one.
Marcella, on the other hand, has no compunctions against shifting an aluminum eighth-ingot in Argenzu's direction before grabbing at the milk-chocolate-and-caramel bar. Look, candy is one of those things that gets bought up very quickly when it appears in the Markets. Chocolate, especially so. Unless she's physically stopped, she's having one.
Oh, thank you.

It's one of these two-bar special editions – in my world, one standard bar is 100g, so you can keep 100g for yourself and sell the other half to someone else. And watch out for the aluminum wrapping.

Argenzu takes the milk chocolate bar, looks directly into Otla's eyes, slowly unwraps the chocolate and slowly begins chewing on one of the bars.
*Mmmh — fo deliffiouf! And eatff of vem coft me dust 1,79 denari...
Mhh — so delicious! And each of them cost me just 1,79 denari...

*Spellings are used for the story here.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 04 Sep 2016 23:15

Egerius wrote:Not where I come from, Prince Rainbow. There's something called allergies. If you had one on peanuts, you'd ban everything they are in and you'd burn the plants until they're extinct, because they'd kill you when you merely touch them.
Heh, baffled by an ordinary chocolate bar. Send me these shots, Argenzu!
Berenice giggles, then laughs out loud. Meanwhile, the overly laughable photos Argenzu made appear on Berenice's laptop screen, one by one.
Argenzu takes the milk chocolate bar, looks directly into Otla's eyes, slowly unwraps the chocolate and slowly begins chewing on one of the bars.
*Mmmh — fo deliffiouf! And eatff of vem coft me dust 1,79 denari...
Otla's very mature response... is to storm out in a huff. Better catch him quickly if you want the rest of that interview, Berenice!
It's one of these two-bar special editions – in my world, one standard bar is 100g, so you can keep 100g for yourself and sell the other half to someone else. And watch out for the aluminum wrapping.
Oh, that's a good idea! Her fence would give her right arm for some good chocolate, and not even just to resell! Or she could just eat the lot of it herself. But later. If it comes in two halves, then it would be wasteful to eat both at once. She chews through the first bar slowly and surely- why chomp it down when you can savor it instead?

"Aluminum?" she asks, pausing between bites. "This wrapper is aluminum?" Aluminum is easily the most valuable metal in the City, by both volume and weight. Making a wrapper out of it is exactly the kind of ridiculous thing that only neighborhood leaders would do, and even then most would rather keep it in a more practical form, like ingots or silverware or sheets to stamp things from. It's just another thing that solidifies her opinion that Argenzu is clearly a very powerful person. "I don't suppose I could have your wrapper, and buy the rest of the bars from you, too?"

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 05 Sep 2016 01:04

Firebird766 wrote:Otla's very mature response... is to storm out in a huff. Better catch him quickly if you want the rest of that interview, Berenice!
What a mature and responsible prince, Argenzu south out of the door. Then he takes his arms up in the air and claps four times, very slowly.
Berenice goes back near Argenzu and Marcella.

Firebird766 wrote:"Aluminum?" she asks, pausing between bites. "This wrapper is aluminum?" Aluminum is easily the most valuable metal in the City, by both volume and weight. Making a wrapper out of it is exactly the kind of ridiculous thing that only neighborhood leaders would do, and even then most would rather keep it in a more practical form, like ingots or silverware or sheets to stamp things from. It's just another thing that solidifies her opinion that Argenzu is clearly a very powerful person. "I don't suppose I could have your wrapper, and buy the rest of the bars from you, too?"
You can have the wrappers, Argenzu says, but the other bars are my week's chocolate reserves. I don't have an unlimited amount of money.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 05 Sep 2016 02:38

To be fair, Otla isn't a prince. He never said he was, and Naqil isn't a monarchy anyway. But that's just semantics, since he's already left.

Argenzu has aluminum wrapping his candy- he clearly has money to spare, in Marcella's mind. But she's not going to say that out loud. You just don't risk annoying people who are like that, no matter how friendly they seem. "And ingots aren't good in your outside city, I get it. Guess there'd be no way for 'em to know the metal's pure, since Engineer word stops at the Underground."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 06 Sep 2016 00:09

A commotion is heard outside the main door to the hall. Then voices. Two. They sound alike, though one is a little louder than the other.

Just go in already! It's amazing! We must have crashed near a village, for this is surely a caravansary of some kind!

The door opens slightly, and two faces can just be seen. One of them pushes it open and two figures sidle in and look around, a little uncertain of their new surroundings.

They are Daine, both quite tall; their skin is pale and hair and feathers are the darkest black. Both are wearing some kind of patchy britches made from thick canvass, a nondescript brown in colour & buttoned just below the knees with bright bronze knoblike fixtures. The britches are tied up at the waist and suspended by a leather brace buttoned at the waist. Rucksacks of leather and canvass are slung across one shoulder and a kind of thick leather cap with small brass rivets is on each head and a strap with round, smoked glass spectacles is around the upper part of the face, leaving only nose & mouth visible. Wool leggings, a wool scarf and a number of bronze and silver trinkets around arms, ankles and necks complete the outfits. Shoulders, chests and arms of each are painstakingly inked with delicate vines, leaves and swirls. Both appear to be scraped up and bruised.

They push the darkened lenses from their eyes and examine the room with ice blue eyes. The only way to distinguish one from the other by sight is that one has very long wavy hair and the other has close shorn, spiky hair.

Where is this? says the louder voiced, spiky haired figure.

And when? says the quieter, longer hair figure.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 06 Sep 2016 01:05

elemtilas wrote:Where is this? says the louder voiced, spiky haired figure.

And when? says the quieter, longer hair figure.
"You are in a place of minor excitement and much corruption," says a man near them. His white, feathery moth antennae twitch slightly with interest. He is their opposite- slight in figure instead of all, with white hair and dark skin. His clothes are fine silken robes, green and white with gold ornamentation. Like them, he is not alone, but his companion- a bodyguard with an unamused expression on her face- is silent.

"You intrigue us. We have never seen avian Folk whose wings are separate from their arms, and gryphons have other signs. Come sit and tell us of yourselves."

The Folk's tone is gentle, but it is plain that he expects them to accept his request.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 06 Sep 2016 03:52

Firebird766 wrote:"You are in a place of minor excitement and much corruption," says a man near them. His white, feathery moth antennae twitch slightly with interest. He is their opposite- slight in figure instead of all, with white hair and dark skin. His clothes are fine silken robes, green and white with gold ornamentation. Like them, he is not alone, but his companion- a bodyguard with an unamused expression on her face- is silent.

"You intrigue us. We have never seen avian Folk whose wings are separate from their arms, and gryphons have other signs. Come sit and tell us of yourselves."

The Folk's tone is gentle, but it is plain that he expects them to accept his request.
The pair glance at one another and shrug. (A Daine shrug is no mere twitch of a shoulder -- it's a feast for the eyes, as both arms and wings are of necessity involved in the motion. It also doesn't exactly mean what it means among Men...)

Um, okay, says the longer haired one. They unhook their rucksacks, dumping them to the side on the table and settle on to the bench opposite the strange looking folks across from them. They also pull off their goggles and caps. The short haired one runs practiced and graceful fingers along the scalp, fluffing up the spikes a bit; the other simply shakes the hair into some semblance of order. Rather unsuccessfully, it might be noted. I'm Three Dogs Running, and this is Brass Spoon. Most folks just call us Nico and Enca, though! Our kin's from Sulerrio in the South Thriding; we've a workshop there. We started out with automotivated hobbyhorses, but they're an awful pain in the bum! So we decided to work on airships in stead! We were testing out a new bird this morning, one with the motivator up ... dqâ! Nico turned away from the strangers for a moment: Enca, what's wrong with you? That hurt!

Enca had given Nico's shin a kick. Just mind what you tell this stranger, is all. They aren't Daine. And I don't trust that girl. She's done nothing but stare at you since we pushed through the door. Didn't I say it was a bad idea to enter the stone tawell? You never know when one of those places will wake up!

How was I to know there'd be an inn just at the edge of the tawell? Anyway, I was only going to say we ended up crashing here outside this caravansary! And anyway, there's no hiding that. Poor bird's broken up outside a ways. Even the motivator is all useless shards now. This Nico said with an obvious pang of guilt mixed with sadness, before sneaking a glance at Enca -- hm, arms crossed and I'm being given that look. Turning back to the strange dark fellow, he changed tack: You seemed interested in our wings? What's strange about them? Nico gives both wings a little flutter, opening them out so the stranger can see them. Ours are no different than any other kind of Daine. They say there's a kind of birdfolk live up in the mountains south away. I don't think they have arms. Is it them you're thinking of?

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 06 Sep 2016 04:48

"We are His Most Holy And Eminent Majesty; Emperor of Emerald, Malachite, and Jade; Glorious Crusader." It's a mouthful of a name, and it isn't even his full title. The bodyguard looks downright bored as he recites it. To the noblemen of the Broken Empire, this would be so rude as to be considered treasonous, but the Empire That Calls The Sun was more lenient than they. "We grant you permission to shorten it in your speech."

"I am Counter Ironproof," says the bodyguard, after receiving a nod from Crusader. "Pretend I'm not here."

Glorious Crusader files away tawell, caravansary, and airships away to consider later. Not to ask about, of course- there's a limit to the things he's allowed to publicly express ignorance about. There's no shame in seeking knowledge, but there are a startling number of foreigners and even countrymen who consider it a fault for the Emperor to do so. And the Emperor must be infallible in these trying times. "Birds have wings that are their forelimbs, and as such so do those Folk who take after them. Gryphons have them separate, but gryphon Folk have other tells. You have no talons, nor tails, nor fur. You call yourselves Daine, but we cannot tell what manner of Folk a Daine is. We are interested; it is not usual for us to not know something."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 06 Sep 2016 12:48

Firebird766 wrote:"We are His Most Holy And Eminent Majesty; Emperor of Emerald, Malachite, and Jade; Glorious Crusader." It's a mouthful of a name, and it isn't even his full title. The bodyguard looks downright bored as he recites it. To the noblemen of the Broken Empire, this would be so rude as to be considered treasonous, but the Empire That Calls The Sun was more lenient than they. "We grant you permission to shorten it in your speech."

"I am Counter Ironproof," says the bodyguard, after receiving a nod from Crusader. "Pretend I'm not here."
Enca's nose crinkles slightly, as if to say 'I am most certainly not going to pretend you're not here!'

Nico is startled to hear of a male with any kind of political authority: Coo, a greatqueen that's a boy? Now, that's strange! Our greatqueen has a jade throne, somewhere in the Old City, they say. But she don't use it. That was the big city of Men, before our folk retook the land. No one lives there now.
Glorious Crusader files away tawell, caravansary, and airships away to consider later. Not to ask about, of course- there's a limit to the things he's allowed to publicly express ignorance about. There's no shame in seeking knowledge, but there are a startling number of foreigners and even countrymen who consider it a fault for the Emperor to do so. And the Emperor must be infallible in these trying times. "Birds have wings that are their forelimbs, and as such so do those Folk who take after them. Gryphons have them separate, but gryphon Folk have other tells. You have no talons, nor tails, nor fur. You call yourselves Daine, but we cannot tell what manner of Folk a Daine is. We are interested; it is not usual for us to not know something."
Oh, yeah, we've birds a-plenty. Toothed and untoothed; great and small. Nico examines arms & legs & chest: Nah, no fur. Some Daine have hair on their forearms & legs; none of us have tails or claws. As for what Daine are, well, that's us! You know, People. You mean to say there are no actual People where you're from? Well, we learn as a we live, as they say!

Most folk of Westmarche are Sharrundaine; Enca and me are syamay-syamay - mestizos. Our Da came wandering out of the West and kind of got on with Ma. He's Arhrawdaine. They're from the high mountains beyond the Mere. It's cold there, they say, high up in the hill country near the sea. We're taller than most Sharrun folk, our skin white like snow. Theirs are light, but not like ours. Da's eyes are very dark, like charcoal; Ma says ours are blue like hers, but I don't really know what that means. Her eyes look the same to me, only quite a bit lighter.

Enca speaks up then: You're eyes are blue, same colour as Ma's, Nico. It's not a hard concept to understand, really!

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 06 Sep 2016 16:08

Firebird766 wrote:"And ingots aren't good in your outside city, I get it. Guess there'd be no way for 'em to know the metal's pure, since Engineer word stops at the Underground."
Oh, we have our ways in Buonavalle, Argenzu says, while he takes one of the wrappings, carefully separates paper from aluminum and writes something on the blank side of the paper. Berenice is again listening to music.

As new people enter the inn, both Berenice and Argenzu look at the entrance and observe the entering folk. And they keep listening and observing.

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 06 Sep 2016 23:50

The only thing Argenzu might notice about Crusader, other than his clothes and antennae, is that neither he nor his bodyguard are touching anything served in the inn. They stick to what they brought in with them.

Marcella casts about for a conversational topic. She still needs to finish her drink, so it's not like she can just up and leave. It should be something productive, that she might be able to take advantage of if the knowings turn out right. "How did you get here? I came in through what I thought would be a shiny new Underground entrance, but you had to be told about the Underground so you couldn't have done the same."

---

Interestingly, the Empire That Calls The Sun also tends to favor women over men, for various reasons mostly relating to lifespan. "We are a rarity, yes. At the time of our ascendance, we were the only with the highest and most spiritually pure of all aspects. Were that not the case, we may have become a priest instead of the Sun-Caller.

"Were that the case, my liege, perhaps you would be free to pursue the Great Enemy yourself instead of delegating down to your armies," interjects Ironproof.

"Perhaps. As for those of where we are from, there are Folk, there are animals, and there are a few rare others. The others are not like you- they have no wings, and they have no aspects of animals like Folk do. Folk are most certainly people. The others- it varies, but occasionally one is as well. They lack wings or any other aspects, however, and we are still unsure what Daine may be. Can you tolerate iron?" No matter what animal they take after, there is not a single Folk that does not burn under the touch of that most treacherous metal. Some fear it more than fire.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 07 Sep 2016 00:12

Firebird766 wrote:The only thing Argenzu might notice about Crusader, other than his clothes and antennae, is that neither he nor his bodyguard are touching anything served in the inn. They stick to what they brought in with them.

Marcella casts about for a conversational topic. She still needs to finish her drink, so it's not like she can just up and leave. It should be something productive, that she might be able to take advantage of if the knowings turn out right. "How did you get here? I came in through what I thought would be a shiny new Underground entrance, but you had to be told about the Underground so you couldn't have done the same."
I and Berenice came here with my TARDIS, that beige box out there. It is inspired by a Terran television show.