The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by elemtilas » 03 Oct 2016 20:54

Firebird766 wrote:"Indenture," Netza corrects idly, passing Risatri the lamp. "Standard apprentice contract."
"See?" Nico whispers: "He's dentured up. I heard all about dentures. That's just slavery with papers!"
The doctor is far more interested in explaining things than discussing the distinct and occasionally arbitrary differences between slavery and indentured servitude in her home country. "Your back leans against it and your arms go on the rests," she explains, rapping the back of the chair. "We use them in Naqil to correct postural issues, but some foreign places- like this inn, apparently- use them all the time. Being honest, cushions are much nicer to sit on, but we use what we have and all that."
"Oh, I see..." Enca gracefully scoots her feet off the chair and on to the floor, sits ramrod straight. She doesn't like the way the sticks on the sides -- the armrest? -- press against her wing-arms. Not sure quite what to do with her arms, she just folds her hands in her lap, watching the duckter expectantly.

Nico giggles again, feet slide off the chair and thump onto the floor, back slouches into the back rest, left leg gets crossed up over the right knee and both arms comfortably lounge along the armrests. "This chair thing isn't half bad, cuz! Look, sis! You can hitch your wing-shoulders up over the top of the back-cage thing."
She tugs a string on the lamp's cover, opening an aperture through which light shines. "Looking at eyes lets me see if anything's wrong. Normally, your pupil expands with light on it. If it doesn't, then that means something's wrong and needs to be fixed. I can also check for forming cataracts, misalignment, all sorts of problems. Cataracts are easily fixed, some other things aren't."
Nico's eyes narrow slightly: "When I look in Enca's eyes, they let me see if she's happy or if she's being moody! I can also see the pulsing red that dances in time with her heart. Can I look in there too and see the waterfalls in her eyes? How would you fix a waterfall in someone's eyes?"

Enca doesn't much like the sound of having waterfalls in her eyes! "I hope that's only a metaphor, my love! I'm sure she couldn't mean an actual cataract!" She looks up at Risatri while she's preparing her strange tools. "I've never known any Daine who has needed a healer to fix their eyes, unless they've been injured. Are there many children born among your kind with broken eyes? I know Men suffer many strange maladies that we know nothing of."

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 03 Oct 2016 22:52

elemtilas wrote:Nico's eyes narrow slightly: "When I look in Enca's eyes, they let me see if she's happy or if she's being moody! I can also see the pulsing red that dances in time with her heart. Can I look in there too and see the waterfalls in her eyes? How would you fix a waterfall in someone's eyes?"

Enca doesn't much like the sound of having waterfalls in her eyes! "I hope that's only a metaphor, my love! I'm sure she couldn't mean an actual cataract!" She looks up at Risatri while she's preparing her strange tools. "I've never known any Daine who has needed a healer to fix their eyes, unless they've been injured. Are there many children born among your kind with broken eyes? I know Men suffer many strange maladies that we know nothing of."
Right, she's being too much of a doctor. Best to tone down the jargon a hair, even if it says a lot about education these days that someone would think something as simple as 'cataract' is unknowable jargon! Someone should write the Council about that. Not Risatri, though, she doesn't want to shake the boat too much. Also, she really doesn't know how the newcomer got 'waterfall' from 'cataract'. Must be a foreign thing. "A cataract is just a clouding of the eye. It comes from old age or injury alike, and is rarely seen in children. It's not completely unknown, however. Cataracts are fairly simple to treat, though such surgery is only recommended if the affected eye is too cloudy to see with."

"Other possible things that can be seen are swellings, ulcers -small scrapes, scratches, or other such injury-, blood in the eye, or infection. East of the mountains, it's not uncommon for people to have irritated eyes from dust and sand. For those, most of what I can do is just relieve the pain and bind the eye so it can heal on its own."

She holds up the hearing-tube. "I don't just do eyes, however. Which of you wants an examination first?"

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 04 Oct 2016 00:35

Argenzu, Edelwulf and Berenice looks at the scenery unfolding before their eyes.
Berenice starts drawing again, Argenzu slightly re-positions his camera to capture the treatment better and Edelwulf, who is wearing a cloak, a pair of trousers and a pair of shoes, keeps watching the two Daines, the doctor and the apprentice.

Berenice mumbles: What a doctor — presenting her craft in an unsanitized room, with food... I thought our doctors are bad, but this is a definite no-go.
Argenzu is wiping his glasses with a piece of black microfibre-cloth and rolls his eyes.
He also seems to enjoy a higher standard of medical care.

Edelwulf, who is still watching the doctor doing his work, places his briefcase on the table which is becoming a little crowded.
He opens it: inside is a laptop, a charger and a book or two.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 04 Oct 2016 00:49

Firebird766 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Nico's eyes narrow slightly: "When I look in Enca's eyes, they let me see if she's happy or if she's being moody! I can also see the pulsing red that dances in time with her heart. Can I look in there too and see the waterfalls in her eyes? How would you fix a waterfall in someone's eyes?"

Right, she's being too much of a doctor. Best to tone down the jargon a hair, even if it says a lot about education these days that someone would think something as simple as 'cataract' is unknowable jargon! Someone should write the Council about that. Not Risatri, though, she doesn't want to shake the boat too much. Also, she really doesn't know how the newcomer got 'waterfall' from 'cataract'. Must be a foreign thing. "A cataract is just a clouding of the eye. It comes from old age or injury alike, and is rarely seen in children. It's not completely unknown, however. Cataracts are fairly simple to treat, though such surgery is only recommended if the affected eye is too cloudy to see with."
Enca's brows furrow slightly, her finger wanders again to that space behind her long canine tooth. At last she says: "I have never heard anyone, young or old, speak of storms and clouds within their eyes, and know of no one whose eyes weaken with age. How old does one have to be before these waterfalls begin leaking out that they need to be fixed?" Enca's mind is still focusing on the idea of waterfalls within one's eyes and how uncomfortable that must be for Risatri's kin who suffer so.

Without missing a beat, Nico pipes up: "So, will the water start gushing out of Enca's eyes if you find a waterfall in there? Or is it like when one is crying?"

"Nico! Whisht and let the healer describe what she means!"

"Anyway, sis, I met a girl once who'd injured her eye in a fight. Got knifed. She said the juice all squeezed out. Anyway, a healer put some mud on her eye and made dwimcraft. When the eye healed, twas all white! Not a trace of grey or black at all. But ever after, when she closed her grey eye, she became able to look at someone with the white eye and see the things they had seen or experienced, even when she wasn't there with them. She said it was a fair enough trade!"
"Other possible things that can be seen are swellings, ulcers -small scrapes, scratches, or other such injury-, blood in the eye, or infection. East of the mountains, it's not uncommon for people to have irritated eyes from dust and sand. For those, most of what I can do is just relieve the pain and bind the eye so it can heal on its own."
"Yeah, dust in your eyes is no grand thing, we can tell you! cried Nico. "That's why we wear those glass spectacles when we're up in the air." Nico's left wing flicks a bit, indicating their belongings spread on the next table, bespectacled helmets on top of all. "Our healer has washed out my eyes a time or two, when we were kids, and got into the dirt too much! Nico nods, seemingly assured that this odd wingless duckter knows what she's talking about. "What's an efexion? I'm sure it sounds like something I've never put anywhere near my eyes, or any place else!"
She holds up the hearing-tube. "I don't just do eyes, however. Which of you wants an examination first?"
"Uy!---"

"Nico! I'm the elder, and your elder sister---"

"---by three heartbeats!---"

"---by three heartbeats! I'll go first, healer Risatri. If it were possible, Enca would sit all the straighter in her chair; she does grasp the arm rest things, not quite sure what this examination will require her to answer. "Though I still do not think I like the idea of waters gushing from my eyes. I don't think I want one of these cataracts you speak of. I'm sure I don't have a fexion either, and I'm certain Mother or Mothersisters would have said if I did."

Nico shifts the chair sideways, the better to watch how duckter Risatri will administer the examination. "Healer, what kind of examination is this? Is it written, like Men give to their scholars? Enca can write real pretty, and she can read too, so you won't have call out the examination questions! Our masters examine their prentices and journeymen by asking them questions and demanding examples of their skill. Is it this kind of examination?"

"Whisht and let her get on with it! Anyway, twill be your turn next, Nico my love! And we'll see what kinds of answers you come up with for healer Risatri's questions!"

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 05 Oct 2016 00:31

Neither of the two seem to realize they're being watched, and definitely not that they're being recorded. Netza really looks like he wants to comment, but Risatri beats him to it. "There are no waterfalls, and no storms. Eyes don't have weather in them except in old stories. Clouding just means that it looks white and opaque like clouds do."

The doctor looks quite happy about how eager Enca is, even if she is pretty sure it's just for the novelty and not because either of the two think they have any afflictions to take care of. Hey, it's practice, and experience for Netza, and maybe it will convince someone with an actual problem that she isn't a snake-oil salesman. "It's a different kind of examination. It's the kind where I examine you to make sure everything is as it should be. I'll still be asking questions, though. My first one is a general 'how are you feeling?' Is there anything about you that you would complain about? A persistent itch, a rash, a pulled muscle, an injury- anything at all. I'll of course be doing other things while you answer, to save time."

It can't hurt to explain what she's doing as she's doing it, either. "The first thing I'd like to do is comb your hair to look for lice." She holds out her hand, and Netza plucks a bone comb from the case and hands it to her. "It's a common affliction wherever people gather together, and it's easier to treat if it's caught early on."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 05 Oct 2016 02:54

Firebird766 wrote:Neither of the two seem to realize they're being watched, and definitely not that they're being recorded. Netza really looks like he wants to comment, but Risatri beats him to it. "There are no waterfalls, and no storms. Eyes don't have weather in them except in old stories. Clouding just means that it looks white and opaque like clouds do."
Enca lets this sink in, then treats Risatri to her fangsome smile: "Oh, I see! Tis a metaphor only!" She lets out a short sigh: "That is a comfort to know! I've never seen any Daine with eyes such as you describe, though, but you may certainly look into mine." She pauses a moment. Then glances over at Nico. "Perhaps you can look in there and convince my dear Nico that my eyes are, in fact, blue as I know them to be? Everything with Nico is grey! It is at once saddening and mirthsome to speak of colours with a boy --- they simply refuse to understand!"

Nico doesn't comment, but only grins, revealing his own fangsome smile.
The doctor looks quite happy about how eager Enca is, even if she is pretty sure it's just for the novelty and not because either of the two think they have any afflictions to take care of. Hey, it's practice, and experience for Netza, and maybe it will convince someone with an actual problem that she isn't a snake-oil salesman. "It's a different kind of examination. It's the kind where I examine you to make sure everything is as it should be. I'll still be asking questions, though. My first one is a general 'how are you feeling?' Is there anything about you that you would complain about? A persistent itch, a rash, a pulled muscle, an injury- anything at all. I'll of course be doing other things while you answer, to save time."
"Nothing apart from the scrapes and bumps we got crashing our airship into the woods outside this place. Well, just outside the old tawell --- you never know where you're going to end up, once you step through such a Gate!"

She promptly lifts her right leg up onto the table, hitching up her racca and the sleeve of her britches. Her toes are long, the foot narrow, the leg also long and slender. "See, I cut my leg on something when we crashed, but it's healing nice." She points to bits of her right shoulder, chest and face that have been scraped up in the accident. "Nothing broken, anyway. Except my pride. I sure didn't think I'd ever be a one to pass out while flying!"
It can't hurt to explain what she's doing as she's doing it, either. "The first thing I'd like to do is comb your hair to look for lice." She holds out her hand, and Netza plucks a bone comb from the case and hands it to her. "It's a common affliction wherever people gather together, and it's easier to treat if it's caught early on."
"What are lice? Is that some kind of fexion? That is a very pretty comb you have, Risatri! The teeth are so fine in it --- your bone carvers are very skilled indeed! Nico and me have combed each other's hair and feathers since we were very little. Admittedly, he does a good job spiking mine up; but I'm afraid there's little I can do with his unruly mane!" Enca turns away from Risatri slightly, lowers her wings a bit to give the girl access to her head. Risatri can now clearly see a broad swath of freckle-like marks that begin up on her head and run down her spine to about the mid-lumbar region, the swath thinning and narrowing the farther down it goes; also, the short hair-like feathers between her shoulder blades.

"Only careful with my ears! I've stabbed them enough times with my own comb!" She pushes up some of the spikes of hair, revealing the long, slender curving point of her left ear. Several cuffs of decorated bronze and silver adorn the outer curves.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 06 Oct 2016 02:05

(Just so Risatri and Netza know what they're dealing with, this is what Enca and Nico look like.

And also Enca ready for the comb.)

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 08 Oct 2016 20:56

((Sorry for the delay- it's been hectic lately. Also I'm basically going on the assumption that all is well, and that the scrapes and bumps are healing nicely. Is Nico colorblind?))

"Lice are an infestation, not an infection," Netza says softly. "Little bugs, but you can see them. Infection all you can see is what your body does to try to cast it out. Outsiders say it's even littler bugs that you can't see just because they're so little, but priesthood's not too sure on that."

Risatri is gentle but insistent with the comb, and very thorough as she looks closely for lice and nits. She's not nicking any ears, either. While she's at it, she takes the opportunity to quickly glance-over the scrapes. They look fine on first impression, so they can wait until she's done here for a proper look. The feathers are interesting, but not in a medically-relevant way, so questions about them can also wait. "You crashed your... airship?" The word doesn't quite translate over in its full form, but the individual parts do and she does have some imagination in her. Albeit, what she's imagining is literally a sailing ship in the sky like something out of old sailor tales, but it's still the same idea. "I can't imagine it was going too terribly fast if all you got out of it were some scrapes and cuts."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 09 Oct 2016 06:01

Firebird766 wrote:(Sorry for the delay- it's been hectic lately.)
(No worries! I love this kind of interaction, and can never wait for the next installment to come through! I hope you're not anywhere where you'll be meeting Matthew this weekend!)
(Is Nico colorblind?))
(Yes. Probably more so than most boys. Some boys can see some washed-out colour, most typically reds, and thus see the world kind of like this. Others are tritanopic. Most are simply monochromats. Girls are tetrachromats and find boys highly annoying, because they are so dìfferent and so recalcitrant when it comes to colours. But should Risatri pursue that line of questioning, she might actually discover some interesting compensations.)
"Lice are an infestation, not an infection," Netza says softly. "Little bugs, but you can see them. Infection all you can see is what your body does to try to cast it out. Outsiders say it's even littler bugs that you can't see just because they're so little, but priesthood's not too sure on that."
"Oh, a festation!" replies Enca. "I hope I have none of these lice! We keep our houses clean and our bodies clean. We don't get many bugs or such inside! Maybe this fexion thing is like poisoning? You know, like if you eat certain things or become wounded you can get all fevered and shaky until the poison is removed. Some kinds of poisons will kill even the strongest Daine. Like if you're bitten by a dragon or scratched by an octoped: few healers can fight off that kind of poison! That's the only thing that worries me about my shoulder and chest. Here, on the side under my arm. She points to a rather nastier gash over her ribcage, on her right side. "My leg is okay, but these other wounds ware pretty deep, and we were only able to get out the biggest bits. At least the bleeding stopped, and it doesn't hurt much now."
Risatri is gentle but insistent with the comb, and very thorough as she looks closely for lice and nits. She's not nicking any ears, either. While she's at it, she takes the opportunity to quickly glance-over the scrapes. They look fine on first impression, so they can wait until she's done here for a proper look. The feathers are interesting, but not in a medically-relevant way, so questions about them can also wait. "You crashed your... airship?" The word doesn't quite translate over in its full form, but the individual parts do and she does have some imagination in her. Albeit, what she's imagining is literally a sailing ship in the sky like something out of old sailor tales, but it's still the same idea. "I can't imagine it was going too terribly fast if all you got out of it were some scrapes and cuts."
Enca's eyes light up at the mention of her poor airship! "Oh yes! She was a dear! A real sweet flier. I think we got the tail sorted this time --- Nico, be a dear and fetch out the notebook!" Nick gets up from his comfortable slouch, and back over to the table where the --- hound? --- seems to be as engrossed in the goings on with Enca as the two Rodentfolk. He tips out the contents of his rucksack --- an assortment of interesting bits of this and that. Some small wooden utensils that look like chopsticks, very nicely carved; a spoon; some tools: a bronze scraper, a mallet-hatchet of brass; some things that look like they might be pens; a tiny whistle made of brass and wood; some silver rings, large and small; a packet of cheese & what appears to be a packet of hearthcakes; a small bottle of water; assorted random drawings of airscapes, leaves, a drawing of Enca, drawings of wings, houses, tools and the like. At last a small leather bound journal drops out, its pages filled with airships of various kinds and designs...

"No, airships don't travel very fast. We figure our bird could fly perhaps 720 stadia in an hour's time. It would take about two days to walk that distance. (*) That's a little faster than the caravan train can run; though quite a bit faster than the great bladder airships!"

Nico opens the notebook to a certain page, which has this picture of their airship drawn on it. They both sigh longingly at the same moment. Enca continues: "Ayya! That's our Yterrica! She sure was a dream to fly."

(*) 720 stadia comes out to about sixty miles as the harcu runs. That can be done in two days, if harcu doesn't stop every five minutes to smell everyone else's piss. :roll:

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 09 Oct 2016 11:05

Firebird766 wrote:"Outsiders say it's even littler bugs that you can't see just because they're so little, but priesthood's not too sure on that."
Bacteria and viruses... Argenzu says, forcefully, as if he corrected the apprentice.
Berenice shruggs and whispers:
Hey, let them do their business. It's none of ours.
Argenzu does not respond. Edelwulf, his sentient dog, enjoys classical music on his laptop.
Argenzu closes the lid on his laptop, puts a blue, old-looking note-book on the lid and starts writing in it.
And only now he responds to Berenice:
You see, we know about the germs that infiltrate our bodies. Why shouldn't others, too?

You yourself told me the other day "Spread the Truth, as the Megalobiblión says".
Now I spread the truth. Scientific truth, but withholding it would be a disadvantage to others.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 10 Oct 2016 04:31

Someone rides by on a hoverboard and makes it to the tavern. Once the hoverboard is about four yards away from the tavern, he stops and looks for a rack outside the tavern to lock it up.

The hoverboard's rider walks inside. Now you can see he is a 17-year-old boy with a brown mop, blue eyes and freckles. He wears black skateboarding shoes, black vinyl pants, and a plain white T-shirt. His left eye is a glass eye to replace the eye he lost to a dart when he was 7, even though in his time, they have prosthetic eyes that can actually see, an offer he had passed up on.

The boy asks, "Are there age restrictions on this bar? Wasn't that long ago that the drinking age in America was 21 still . . ."

He looks around the bar, and sees a number of patrons who are clearly under 21. He wipes sweat from his forehead, and says, "Whew, it's safe here, I suppose". Then he turns to the patrons and says, "Hi, I'm Jim Musiclover. I'm 17 years old. I'm from California. I'm the lead singer of a band called Purple Kohlrabi. We're big in 2028. Have any of you from here heard of us?"
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 60,137 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 10 Oct 2016 05:19

Khemehekis wrote:Someone rides by on a hoverboard and makes it to the tavern. Once the hoverboard is about four yards away from the tavern, he stops and looks for a rack outside the tavern to lock it up.

The hoverboard's rider walks inside. Now you can see he is a 17-year-old boy with a brown mop, blue eyes and freckles. He wears black skateboarding shoes, black vinyl pants, and a plain white T-shirt. His left eye is a glass eye to replace the eye he lost to a dart when he was 7, even though in his time, they have prosthetic eyes that can actually see, an offer he had passed up on.

The boy asks, "Are there age restrictions on this bar? Wasn't that long ago that the drinking age in America was 21 still . . ."

He looks around the bar, and sees a number of patrons who are clearly under 21. He wipes sweat from his forehead, and says, "Whew, it's safe here, I suppose". Then he turns to the patrons and says, "Hi, I'm Jim Musiclover. I'm 17 years old. I'm from California. I'm the lead singer of a band called Purple Kohlrabi. We're big in 2028. Have any of you from here heard of us?"
Nico barely shifts from his comfortable slouch, but lifts up his right wing, peering under the feathers the better to see the newcomer. "A Manchild. Of some sort, anyway! Dunno what a drinking age is, but I don't think they have that here. And ya, it's safe here. The good duckter here is seeing to it we're safe from all our hurts and fexions, which, my friend Ergentsu over here assures us come in the bactrial and viral sorts. Mind you, I've never heard of any of these kinds of bugs folks here go on about. I'll be happy to get home again, where we don't have fexions and festations and bactrial anythings! Nor lice!"

"Anyway, I'm Nico." He flicks his other wing in the direction of Enca and the others: "My sister Enca; the good healers and over here, Ergentsu and Berenice and Ethelwulf." Nico stands, makes a bow towards the newcomer, then resumes his comfortable slouch in the big wooden chair.

"I'm rather lost on the rest, friend Gem. What are twentytwentyeight, colrabbies, and 'lead singers'? 'Purple' sounds suspiciously like a colour, and I don't do well with those. He casts a sidelong glance towards Enca, saying: "Anyway, your eyes look grey to me!" But Enca is too absorbed in the healer's combing to take notice of his antics. "Anyway. Apart from the throbbing red bit in the middle. But only on one..." Now Nico sits up and turns with interest towards Jim: "I say! Only one is right --- the other is wrong! The wavy tendrils and arcades are there, but in the left they are not layered. They're ... painted? It appears cold, like crystal --- is it a work of craft? Or dwimmery? Can you see with the crystal eye? Too bad twas your left eye. There must be a story there!"

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 10 Oct 2016 06:25

((Luckily I'm on the other side of the country from that particular nastiness. We actually have the opposite problem- massive drought.))
Egerius wrote:Bacteria and viruses... Argenzu says, forcefully, as if he corrected the apprentice.
"Yeah, those things. Outsiders came talking about them, but priesthood's pretty sure it's all environment instead. Bad air, not enough sun, rotten magic."

"Bad food, too. Like the maize in Kyskin," comments Risatri, setting the comb down. You seem to be free of lice, fortunately. I'd like to have a look at that wound on your side, now. You said there might still be some bits in there?" She leans down to have a look at the injury. "I'm going to gently touch the area around it. Tell me if it hurts, and if so then at what distance from the wound it does." She's mostly checking for infection, swelling, and heat.

That's an airship? It looks like a giant bird. Interesting. It would probably be especially interesting to her most recent employer. Once she's done here, she'll want to see if she can learn how it works.
Khemehekis wrote:He looks around the bar, and sees a number of patrons who are clearly under 21. He wipes sweat from his forehead, and says, "Whew, it's safe here, I suppose". Then he turns to the patrons and says, "Hi, I'm Jim Musiclover. I'm 17 years old. I'm from California. I'm the lead singer of a band called Purple Kohlrabi. We're big in 2028. Have any of you from here heard of us?"
"Never heard of you," says Netza. "Never heard of the place you're from, either. Drink up, though. I haven't heard of anyone putting an age restriction on drinking."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 10 Oct 2016 12:33

Firebird766 wrote:((Luckily I'm on the other side of the country from that particular nastiness. We actually have the opposite problem- massive drought.))
(( [:'(] ))
Egerius wrote:Bacteria and viruses... Argenzu says, forcefully, as if he corrected the apprentice.
"Yeah, those things. Outsiders came talking about them, but priesthood's pretty sure it's all environment instead. Bad air, not enough sun, rotten magic."
"Imbalance of something or other, is what I've heard Men blame their ills on. I don't doubt that they've got some truth in that," adds Enca.
"Bad food, too. Like the maize in Kyskin," comments Risatri, setting the comb down. You seem to be free of lice, fortunately. I'd like to have a look at that wound on your side, now. You said there might still be some bits in there?" She leans down to have a look at the injury. "I'm going to gently touch the area around it. Tell me if it hurts, and if so then at what distance from the wound it does." She's mostly checking for infection, swelling, and heat.
"Maybe they didn't store their corn well? Tis easy enough to spoil." Enca turns in the chair to face Risatri, so she can look at her wounds better. "It still aches, and the pain in sharper if I lift my arm or wing back. Nico pulled out a good sized piece of bamboo strut." She indicates a slightly diagonal line of bruising some inches long. Bamboo struts can be a real pain in the side! "It doesn't seem to hurt anywhere else."

That's an airship? It looks like a giant bird. Interesting. It would probably be especially interesting to her most recent employer. Once she's done here, she'll want to see if she can learn how it works.
Khemehekis wrote:He looks around the bar, and sees a number of patrons who are clearly under 21. He wipes sweat from his forehead, and says, "Whew, it's safe here, I suppose". Then he turns to the patrons and says, "Hi, I'm Jim Musiclover. I'm 17 years old. I'm from California. I'm the lead singer of a band called Purple Kohlrabi. We're big in 2028. Have any of you from here heard of us?"
"Never heard of you," says Netza. "Never heard of the place you're from, either. Drink up, though. I haven't heard of anyone putting an age restriction on drinking."
Nico wonders at this: "Why would any one disallow a child or a youngster from drinking? Our little ones to drink all the milk or water they need. They won't start on tea or juice much until they're a little older, though." Half to himself he says: "Men are strange folk indeed!"

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 10 Oct 2016 23:44

elemtilas wrote: Nico barely shifts from his comfortable slouch, but lifts up his right wing, peering under the feathers the better to see the newcomer. "A Manchild. Of some sort, anyway! Dunno what a drinking age is, but I don't think they have that here. And ya, it's safe here. The good duckter here is seeing to it we're safe from all our hurts and fexions, which, my friend Ergentsu over here assures us come in the bactrial and viral sorts. Mind you, I've never heard of any of these kinds of bugs folks here go on about. I'll be happy to get home again, where we don't have fexions and festations and bactrial anythings! Nor lice!"

"Anyway, I'm Nico." He flicks his other wing in the direction of Enca and the others: "My sister Enca; the good healers and over here, Ergentsu and Berenice and Ethelwulf." Nico stands, makes a bow towards the newcomer, then resumes his comfortable slouch in the big wooden chair.

"I'm rather lost on the rest, friend Gem. What are twentytwentyeight, colrabbies, and 'lead singers'? 'Purple' sounds suspiciously like a colour, and I don't do well with those.
Jim looks at Nico and notices the wings. A winged sapient! Surely we wasn't in California anymore.

"Nice to meet you, Nico", says Jim. "Twenty twenty-eight is the year on my world's calendar. Here it's two thousand and twenty-eight years after the birth of Jesus Christ, so we say twenty twenty-eight. Well, not really. Jesus was actually born two thousand and thirty-two years ago."

Jim continues. "A kohlrabi is a vegetable. Like a cabbage, except it looks more like a human hand. It looks like some plant from outer space, more or less. Kohlrabi's really green, except we called our band Purple Kohlrabi to sound trippy. The bands out here put their names together from colors, numbers and foods." Jim put one finger up when he said "colors", a second when he said "numbers", and a third when he said "foods".

"And a lead singer is the member of a band who does most of the singing. Usually the lead singer writes the band's songs too. I know I write my band's songs. We can say . . . maybe . . . that Stan Dzwonkowski is the lead singer of Sulfur Pie, or that Zach Stillwell is the lead singer of Thirst. Thirst are a band from a genre called kuro. A dark, foreboding sound. It's really pleasant to listen to with headphones on and my eyes closed."
He casts a sidelong glance towards Enca, saying: "Anyway, your eyes look grey to me!" But Enca is too absorbed in the healer's combing to take notice of his antics. "Anyway. Apart from the throbbing red bit in the middle. But only on one..." Now Nico sits up and turns with interest towards Jim: "I say! Only one is right --- the other is wrong! The wavy tendrils and arcades are there, but in the left they are not layered. They're ... painted? It appears cold, like crystal --- is it a work of craft? Or dwimmery? Can you see with the crystal eye? Too bad twas your left eye. There must be a story there!"
"Oh," said Jim. "My eyes are blue. Arcades? You mean like a video arcade? But, yeah . . . it's a glass eye."

Jim continued with the story. "When I was 7, my brother Matt and I would like to play with darts. One day, a dart hit me in the left eye. I was screaming in pain, and the dart immediately put the eye out. My mother drove me to an eye specialist, and the doctor removed the blinded eye. I was fitted with my first glass eye. When I got older, they invented an artificial eye that can actually see when your eyes are open. It's connected to the nerve of your remaining eye. But you can see the machinery inside, so I said no thank you. I wanted to keep my glass eye because it actually looks like a real eye. To humans, at least. But you . . . you have a strange vision. And what does that word 'dwimmery' mean? It sounds like 'dimwit' or 'nim' -- those are words we use for saying someone's stupid, like 'idiot' or 'moron'."

Jim took another look at Nico's wings. "Those wings . . . can you actually fly?"
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 10 Oct 2016 23:55

Firebird766 wrote: "Never heard of you," says Netza. "Never heard of the place you're from, either. Drink up, though. I haven't heard of anyone putting an age restriction on drinking."
"Oh", said Jim. "California is a beautiful place, Netza. It has beaches . . . and palm trees . . . and eccentric people. I bet the people here would fit right in in California! As for the drinking age . . . when people in America first started voting, the voting age was 21. Then in the twenties, the nineteen-twenties, that is, not 2028, they made alcohol illegal! In the thirties, it became legal again, but only people over 21 could drink it. Then in the seventies, America lowered its voting age to 18, and many states lowered their drinking age to 18 or 19. But in the eighties, this organization called MADD -- I believe that stands for Making Age Discrimination Defensible -- rallied the government to raise the drinking age back to 21 everywhere in the country. Then in the eleventies, the decade before mine, young people got the voting age lowered to 16. And America reconsidered its drinking age laws. Now you can buy a drink at a bar at age 12 in America. It's legal to drink if you're 8 or 10 . . . you just can't buy a beer or a margarita. However, if an adult gives alcohol to a child under 5, the adult gets arrested."

Jim looked around. "What kind of drinks do you have here? Do you have maltuccinos? If not, may I have some gin?"
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 11 Oct 2016 01:50

Khemehekis wrote:Jim looks at Nico and notices the wings. A winged sapient! Surely we wasn't in California anymore.

"Nice to meet you, Nico", says Jim. "Twenty twenty-eight is the year on my world's calendar. Here it's two thousand and twenty-eight years after the birth of Jesus Christ, so we say twenty twenty-eight. Well, not really. Jesus was actually born two thousand and thirty-two years ago."
Nico scratches his head, thinking where he's heard this before. "Oh! Iyesushuê he was when he came among Men, that's what the monks say. I don't know when he was born. Our Ma's mother used to tell how her Da's older brother went off wandering into the West and saw him there, when he went down to look at the Sea. Anyway, you name your years with numbers? That's different! Ours are named with names. Now is the year of the Mended Peacock and last year was Brass Waterpot and before that, Mended Scapula. Easy as a meat pie!"
Jim continues. "A kohlrabi is a vegetable. Like a cabbage, except it looks more like a human hand. It looks like some plant from outer space, more or less. Kohlrabi's really green, except we called our band Purple Kohlrabi to sound trippy. The bands out here put their names together from colors, numbers and foods." Jim put one finger up when he said "colors", a second when he said "numbers", and a third when he said "foods".

"And a lead singer is the member of a band who does most of the singing. Usually the lead singer writes the band's songs too. I know I write my band's songs. We can say . . . maybe . . . that Stan Dzwonkowski is the lead singer of Sulfur Pie, or that Zach Stillwell is the lead singer of Thirst. Thirst are a band from a genre called kuro. A dark, foreboding sound. It's really pleasant to listen to with headphones on and my eyes closed."
"So, bands are groups of musicians, and you are their rimesmith? That is a great gift indeed, to make songs and sing them for people! Our rime makers do not sing with other musicians, and not often with more than one other singer. Is it usual for you to sing with other musicians and singers, then?" Nico's trying to keep up with the strangeness of this fellow's speech: "But, what are Stantsuoncuoios and Sax and curro and edfuuns?"
Can you see with the crystal eye? Too bad twas your left eye. There must be a story there!"
"Oh," said Jim. "My eyes are blue. Arcades? You mean like a video arcade? But, yeah . . . it's a glass eye."
"Blue..." Nico scratches his head again, hope that this boy would be sensible too now dashed! "You sound like my sister now! Oh, arcades? No, not like in a garden; but you know, the fine arches and tendrils, the forest of trunks and intertwined branches in the grey part of your eye surrounding the throbbing red part in the middle(*)."
Jim continued with the story. "When I was 7, my brother Matt and I would like to play with darts. One day, a dart hit me in the left eye. I was screaming in pain, and the dart immediately put the eye out. My mother drove me to an eye specialist, and the doctor removed the blinded eye. I was fitted with my first glass eye. When I got older, they invented an artificial eye that can actually see when your eyes are open. It's connected to the nerve of your remaining eye. But you can see the machinery inside, so I said no thank you. I wanted to keep my glass eye because it actually looks like a real eye. To humans, at least. But you . . . you have a strange vision. And what does that word 'dwimmery' mean? It sounds like 'dimwit' or 'nim' -- those are words we use for saying someone's stupid, like 'idiot' or 'moron'."
"You have duckters too! Just like Risatri here. And your duckters only work with eyes? Our healers must be able to treat any wound, not just those in the eyes or the shoulders or the fingertips!" He laughs with the thought of twenty different healers attending to someone who's just been roughed up playing football! "Anyway, the crystalsmith that crafted your eye was quite skillful! And you sound like my sister again --- I'm sure my vision isn't thát strange! Any boy can describe perfectly sensibly what a person's eye looks like!"

"Dwimmery? That's just one of the forces flowing and swirling all round us. Can't see it, really, but you can see its effects, how it interacts with living and resting beings; most Daine can find its streams and use them to make things anew or change things already made. Like, it's easy enough to pick up a stick of wood and cause it to burn with fire --- just have to nudge the flow of dwimmery a bit. Great factitioners can take a stick of wood and trap a flow of dwimmery inside it, so that with a touch it will glow like a lamp! Or cause a ball of silver wire to weave itself into a big flower. Or gifted healers can mend a shattered leg or sliced off arm."
Jim took another look at Nico's wings. "Those wings . . . can you actually fly?"
Nico smiles at the thought: "No, we can't fly, leastways not without an airship! Boys can leap from great heights and use our wings to slow our fall, and perhaps glide a bit. See ---" He stands up to show Jim his wing in comparison to Enca's: "Mine are longer and have longer feathers than a girl's wings. Girls always say we look like penguins flying when we go leaping. But I don't care if I look like a penguin in flight! It's so much fun to just drop off a tall tree or a cliff by the riverside and for a moment feel like I'm flying!" He pauses a moment, lost in thought: "I guess that's why I like flying in Enca's airships so much!"

(*) By "throbbing red part in the middle of the eye", what Nico means is that he can see Jim's retina, though I certainly hope it isn't detached like in the image! What he's seeing, really, is the heat of the blood against the retina. Jim's left eye caught him off guard --- on first glance, it appears quite normal, but on the other hand, it didn't anything like the other eye.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 11 Oct 2016 01:56

Khemehekis wrote:
Firebird766 wrote: "Never heard of you," says Netza. "Never heard of the place you're from, either. Drink up, though. I haven't heard of anyone putting an age restriction on drinking."
"Oh", said Jim. "California is a beautiful place, Netza. It has beaches . . . and palm trees . . . and eccentric people. I bet the people here would fit right in in California! As for the drinking age . . . when people in America first started voting, the voting age was 21. Then in the twenties, the nineteen-twenties, that is, not 2028, they made alcohol illegal! In the thirties, it became legal again, but only people over 21 could drink it. Then in the seventies, America lowered its voting age to 18, and many states lowered their drinking age to 18 or 19. But in the eighties, this organization called MADD -- I believe that stands for Making Age Discrimination Defensible -- rallied the government to raise the drinking age back to 21 everywhere in the country. Then in the eleventies, the decade before mine, young people got the voting age lowered to 16. And America reconsidered its drinking age laws. Now you can buy a drink at a bar at age 12 in America. It's legal to drink if you're 8 or 10 . . . you just can't buy a beer or a margarita. However, if an adult gives alcohol to a child under 5, the adult gets arrested."

Jim looked around. "What kind of drinks do you have here? Do you have maltuccinos? If not, may I have some gin?"
Nico can't even fathom how Netza will reply to this stream of words --- none of them make any sense! Except for the bit about Men being eccentric! And the bit about the trees in this Califurniya: there are indeed kindreds of trees that look kind of like a hand; and beech trees are well enough known in the East! Nico just scratches his head and waits to see how Netza will respond. Maybe this Gem will make better sense to another Man?

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 11 Oct 2016 03:15

((Elemtilas, how well is Enca's wound healing? Is it inflamed, infected, none of the above?))

Netza blinks. He never told this lad his name, and the birdfolk just referred to the two of them as 'the healers,' which was a very nice thing to say even if it isn't true in his particular case, him being only an apprentice. How did he know his name? "Have you been eavesdropping on us? Not a very nice- a perfectly normal thing, to be curious about someone. Of course." He quickly changes verbal course as Risatri glares at him. Apparently she doesn't want to alienate a potential patient. "Your country sounds like a mad- perfectly normal country with nothing in it at all that is strange even if banning alcohol is something only the cactus-mad would do."

Risatri spares another glare as she continues examining the wound. "I'm going to try to feel for any debris left in there," she says to Enca. "I'll try not to make it hurt too much, but it will hurt a little and there's not much to be done about that."

"I'm sorry, but it's really hard to make weird foreign stuff sound positive. I mean, ban alcohol? That sounds like something Muisa would do. You might as well ban cocoa, or slavery."

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 11 Oct 2016 04:12

Firebird766 wrote:((Elemtilas, how well is Enca's wound healing? Is it inflamed, infected, none of the above?))
((It is slightly inflamed, but infection will not really be much of an issue. Her immune system will handle the bugs. She's more worried about toxicosis (though obviously not by that name): Daine are hardy folk and may not suffer from viral or bacterial infections, but there are many kinds of toxins that will make one sick! Even the best immune systems can't fight off noxious chemicals! A wound such as she's got, a sort of subcutaneous pocket where the bamboo strut was removed and probably left some smaller pieces inside, would make a nice place for the wrong kinds of bacteria to set up shop and discharge their nastiness into the wound bed. If that should infiltrate her bloodstream, she could be in for a painful fight against whatever the toxin du jour happens to be. A Daine healer would simply remove any obvious bits and pieces stuck in there; wash out the pocket with a tea concocted of extracts of certain plants and mushrooms, making for something very like an antibacterial irrigant; then press the wound closed and dress. Irrigation is the solution to pollution, eh, wot! Her immune system would be able to take care of any nasties still in the cleaned wound and either heal over on its own, if she fancied a bit of a scar (Enca seems the sort of girl that would rather fancy a cool scar on her side!), or if the healer is dwimcrafty, could sort of nudge the edges together with nary a scar to be seen.))
Netza blinks. He never told this lad his name, and the birdfolk just referred to the two of them as 'the healers,' which was a very nice thing to say even if it isn't true in his particular case, him being only an apprentice. How did he know his name? "Have you been eavesdropping on us? Not a very nice- a perfectly normal thing, to be curious about someone. Of course." He quickly changes verbal course as Risatri glares at him. Apparently she doesn't want to alienate a potential patient. "Your country sounds like a mad- perfectly normal country with nothing in it at all that is strange even if banning alcohol is something only the cactus-mad would do."
Nico is not sure if the apprentice-healer-slave is angered at him or the newcomer...He decides it must be Gem the healer is annoyed at. Nico never even mentioned alcohol; and that's a madness of Men to be sure!
Risatri spares another glare as she continues examining the wound. "I'm going to try to feel for any debris left in there," she says to Enca. "I'll try not to make it hurt too much, but it will hurt a little and there's not much to be done about that."
"I don't mind," replies Enca. She braces herself a bit anyway, just in case she decides to change her mind on not minding! "You are a healer. And the healing touch of such a gifted one may be endured, though painful, for it brings about wholeness." Enca takes a deep breath, winces a little from the aching wound, then begins to hum softly, the tune interlaced with snatches of strange and deep words the Inn could never hope to translate. Her eyes defocus a little, as if seeing someplace Else, and her body relaxes. She nods towards Risatri, apparently ready for the worst.
"I'm sorry, but it's really hard to make weird foreign stuff sound positive. I mean, ban alcohol? That sounds like something Muisa would do. You might as well ban cocoa, or slavery."
"But you're a slave yourself!" cries Nico. "Well, a denturer, anyway. Near as I can figure, that's just a nice way for one Man to call someone his slave. I should think you'd be against slavery, even though you'll eventually prentice out of it, right?" Nico's lips curl into a fang-bearing snarl and his brows furrow intensely for a moment: "If I were a slave, I should surely seek to get away! And I should never hold one either." His features return to normal then, and he continues: "But Men are strange folk indeed, begging your pardons, friends! But we find all the Wingless to be strange in some ways. Heh! Though I guess you must find us strange in some ways too; and as the monks are fond of saying, each to her own ways, odd as we may find them!"