Saltha AMA Reborn!

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Saltha AMA Reborn!

Post by Foolster41 » 05 Aug 2015 00:51

Someone in another thread brought up problems in a conworld, and I noted I saw the same problems in my own. I thought it's about time I made another one of these and see if I can kick my own butt into working on this, since I've been feel stuck and all but abandoned it.

I tried writing a story about visitors from another culture (humans who are very europe inspired), but I had trouble coming up with good situational conflicts to work with. I want Salthans to have a very different worldview then that of the visitors (and really, the visitors are semi stand-ins of my own worldview), but I have trouble really getting into their head. It seems most of the conflicts in my story involve nudity or punishment.

Here is the last thread, with a lot of info on the culture, which I've updated with new info and fixed spelling errors.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2334

More info on Saltha can be found at My wiki, and here is a travel guide.

Are there aspects where I'm perhaps being too timid/'stuck in modern thinking (this is a medieval society), and perhaps unrealistic? (I.e treatment of women, punishment severity, lack of punishment for adultery), or is it perhaps only slightly off, but still works? Are there aspects that would lend themselves to interesting conflict that I'm missing, perticularly for a man and his young son (aged 6-8 when they arrive)?

edit: Fixed travel guide link
edit 2: also fixed confusing statement above about worldview.
Last edited by Foolster41 on 07 Aug 2015 06:10, edited 2 times in total.

cntrational
roman
roman

Re: Saltha AMA Reborn!

Post by cntrational » 05 Aug 2015 00:59

Before I continue reading: is there an equivalent of wurst there?

Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 » 05 Aug 2015 01:03

As in Brat or Brock? I suppose it's possible they'd make something like it.
Edit: In fact, seems very likely since it's something enjoyed by many cultures. A good question for me is what it's like (how it's unique in their culture).

Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 » 01 Jun 2016 23:51

Hmm. I've been thinking about this culture again, and the in-world story I've written some of, and I feel stuck. I think someone suggested economy, but doing research, I'm not so sure how complex an economy there would be.

It seems like this world feels somewhat one-note to me, but I don't know what else to do with it, and what areas I need to expand on. Suggestions are very welcome!

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 02 Jun 2016 22:22

Perhaps you might find some questions on this list inspirational? It's a huge list of questions mostly compiled from the NaNoWriMo forum and trying to answer every question would be quite the undertaking, but if you skim down through it, maybe you'll find something that gets you thinking again.

Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 » 02 Jun 2016 22:27

alynnidalar wrote:Perhaps you might find some questions on this list inspirational? It's a huge list of questions mostly compiled from the NaNoWriMo forum and trying to answer every question would be quite the undertaking, but if you skim down through it, maybe you'll find something that gets you thinking again.
Thanks! I did do a lot of the questions on the SFWA list, but maybe some of these are not there.