CBB Fanfic Society

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

CBB Fanfic Society

Post by elemtilas » 14 Oct 2015 15:36

Having read gestaltist's story set in Micamo's Tazar, I got to thinking that this would make for an interesting game. Given the original worldwright's approval and encouragement, I think the idea could be extended to other worlds and other interested writers.
Micamo wrote:I actually find the idea of other people writing in my conworld really interesting: Especially seeing the places where they take the information I've showed them, interpret the blanks, and fill in missing parts with something completely different from what I have in my own head.
This Game is not something quick like a translation relay, but something that would be more open ended and unconstrained. Also, it is not turn oriented, so you can work on and submit a story any time. The rules are pretty simple:
  • 1. find someone else's world that you like and
    2. set and write a story of any length in it!
For those interested in offering their world for the Game, some advice:
  • - Offer an enticing sketch of an interesting region and timeframe rather than a list of technical details. Aim for a broad-stroke depiction of setting or world-concept.
    - An interesting character may be more difficult to sufficiently portray in a short sketch, but if you've already been presenting & developing a character, then you might consider pointing out those stories in the sketch as possibilities.
    - It will be a big help for a prospective offering to already have a number of interesting posts about it, either hosted here (e.g. a thread in the C&C forum) or else a link to an external site or other work depicting this otherworld. If someone likes your world, but they've only got two sentences of description to work with, it will be difficult to write a story set in your world. If someone likes your world, and you're able to provide scores or hundreds of pages of material for them to work with, it will be much easier to write a story!
For purposes of the game, it would I think require the willing participation of the worldwright, not so much to write the story, but to answer questions about those "missing parts" or to provide background. It's one thing for the writer to kind of make an educated guess as to what goes in that blank and there really is a blank; but it's quite another to grope around in the dark only because the world's maker has not yet chosen to reveal something that's already been worked on and is actually pretty well set in stone.

Of course, it would be very nice to see the stories here and also the worldwright's comments on them and also whether or no the story would be considered "canon" within that world. I think this game could also extend to pictures or music or poetry or even technical writing.

Micamo's sketch of Tazar:

Tazar - A city built in a wasteland of poisoned dust. The zombie apocalypse happened so long ago nobody even knows there was a time before, and society has just adapted to deal with the dead getting up to eat people. The chosen servants of an imprisoned god raise an army of the dead, and wait until the day he can be freed.

Gestaltist's original story set in Tazar:

It was the merciful thing to do - Jatuun told himself. Why did it taste so bitter, then? The girl was extinguished - her small body limp like a puppet after a show, with those tender short limbs sprawled in all directions. He picked her up. The least he could do was to make sure she would find peace in death.

People looked at him with suspicion as he carried the tiny carcass, but nobody stopped him. Death was business-as-usual in Tazar. It was life that raised eyebrows. But the vial was well-hidden under his coat.

It was well past midnight when the bonfire died down. Jatuun spent the last few hours looking into the flames, making sure nothing was left of his victim but ashes. He disregarded the stench of the burnt flesh. Had he come to Tazar to feel good, he would have been in a brothel in Dakar, and not in these god-forsaken slums. He had the money. But he was never one to value primitive pleasures. Not when the stakes were so high.

He saw the girl in the dying flames: her trustful eyes looking up to him, her curly raven-black hair, her bashful laughter. She wouldn't have survived anyway, he told himself. His jaw was tense, and every muscle in his body ached - the wall he had raised around his soul. He couldn't afford to feel.
Last edited by elemtilas on 15 Oct 2015 14:55, edited 2 times in total.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

druneragarsh
greek
greek

Re: CBB Fanfic Society

Post by druneragarsh » 14 Oct 2015 18:04

This sounds interesting!

The Drunworld is free to write in. Questions can be PM'd to me or preferrably posted into the Drunworld thread.
A quick overview:
Tech level: late 1800s/early 1900s, but with better contraceptives.
Main culture: the Drún. Matriarchal-ish, dark-skinned, most technologically advanced
Other cultures:
Eyþi. Patriarchal and agrarian.
Žilèði. Matriarchal, high population density, relatively high income disparities.
Ḳixaḷi. Matriarchal-ish, seafarers.
Mira. Matriarchal-ish, live in the mountains, relatively relaxed culture in many ways.

I am planning on writing a story about two immigrants (from Mira and Ḳixa-) in a Drún research lab, discovering the electron.

(Okay, I need to decide on names for the regions. And demonyms. The current ones are language names.)
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 14 Oct 2015 19:15

I'd like to let people write some stories about my 8th world, which is basically an alternative earth. but I haven't talked to people much about the 8th world much...

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 14 Oct 2015 21:57

The best way to get people to post is probably to post a lot of interesting stuff yourself first. I had a good enough idea of Tazar to write in it. But there is several stories on the forum to draw inspiration from.

Linguifex
roman
roman

Post by Linguifex » 14 Oct 2015 23:28

I would love it if when I got enough material up that someone would write fanfic of my stuff. It's actually part of the goal I have in mind for creating this world.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.0
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 15 Oct 2015 02:54

Maybe I should just post a quick overview about two consecutive time periods of the 8th world...

There are virtually no magic in the 8th world, as in our world, however, there are no native mammals in the 8th world, all mammals in the 8th world were brought by the coming of human beings.

Time period one:

Time: about 10475 BC, before the end of the Pleistocene Civilization
Tech level: 2010s~2020s, but with commercial nuclear fusion power
Dominant Sentient Species: Human
Other Sentient Species: Long-longs
Main countries(all of them are human countries except for the Land of Long-longs):
- Republic of Liunan
- Republic of Ketzers
- Q'oligo Nation
- Republic of Yakimese
- The Land of Long-longs

After the downfall of the 3rd Dynasty of the Kingdom of Q'oligo in 10500 BC, the cold war between the Kingdom of Q'oligo and the Republic of Liunan finally came to the end, and the Republic of Liunan became the sole superpower of the Pleistocene Civilization of the 8th world. However, new challenge had just begun, there are rumors about a group of terrorists with a secular belief trying to get some nuclear weapon to attack Republic of Liunan.

Time period two:

Time: about 10460 BC, after the worldwide bio-nuclear war that destroyed the Pleistocene Civilization

After the short but worldwide bio-nuclear war, the Pleistocene Civilization came to the end, it also brought the decline of Long-longs, and the new civilization would be the civilization of different ethnicities of human beings, but the new civilization would restart from neolithic age, as all new rebuild attempts that inherited technologies of the Pleistocene Civilization would be fail.

Although some people had been sent to vaults, some people failed to find a refuge and was forced to stay on the ground, those who stayed on the ground tried to rebuild civilization by their own, the most of them was the Town of Boards, which was led by Donggiya Dehi, a human of Ketzer ethnicity and he was a physician in the Republic of Liunan before the war. Although the Town of Boards managed to use technologies from the Pleistocene Civilization seemed to have a bright future, some worries arose due to the shortage of electricity and the cooling climate...

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 15 Oct 2015 05:42

I honestly think that listing names, time periods, and tech levels is the wrong way to give prospective fanfickers what they need. When I write fanfiction, it's for one (or both) of two reasons:

1. This work that is not mine has a cool character which I'm interested in using.

2. This work that is not mine has a really interesting setting concept which I'm interested in exploring.

Now, establishing interesting characters to work with in the space of just a few sentences summary is really hard, so I'd focus on the second thing. What concepts of your setting do you think make it interesting or noteworthy?

Ch'shkwil' - A permanently frozen forest where the realm of dreams and emotions touches and overlaps with the real world. Most everything is haunted and possessed. The last, immortal survivors of the Founders who colonized the planet millennia ago hide the dark secret that destroyed their civilization and guard the Farcasters that lead to other worlds.

Tazar - A city built in a wasteland of poisoned dust. The zombie apocalypse happened so long ago nobody even knows there was a time before, and society has just adapted to deal with the dead getting up to eat people. The chosen servants of an imprisoned god raise an army of the dead, and wait until the day he can be freed.

Pakara - A decaying empire built in the trees above a flooding swampland. A plague ravages the populace, and petty lords and kings scramble to keep what little they have left.

Kanar - A society symbiotic with giant spiders, living in palaces woven of silk. Every man has a thousand wives, and society is built on the backs of eunuch slaves and sapient, humanoid plants who grow out of pods in the ground.

--------

Oh, by the way, if anyone feels the need for my express permission, it should go without saying that anyone's free to write whatever stuff they want set in my world. Knock yourselves out.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 15 Oct 2015 07:08

Yat-Vrkhazh:
The motherland of an empire is situated on the west coast between two mountain ranges in the north and a tropical rainforest in the south. Periodically, creatures from another universe claw their way through a metaphysical barrier and wreak destruction and suffering on the empire's inhabitants.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 15 Oct 2015 11:17

Micamo wrote: Kanar - A society symbiotic with giant spiders, living in palaces woven of silk. Every man has a thousand wives, and society is built on the backs of eunuch slaves and sapient, humanoid plants who grow out of pods in the ground.
This is new too me and very cool in an incredibly over-the-top way.

I am cool with people writing stories in WOTS but I would prefer if you spoke to me first. There is a lot of stuff I haven’t posted about that is set in stone. But there is even more stuff that I haven’t even thought about yet, but I have a certain vision of how the world should turn out in the end.

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 15 Oct 2015 17:33

Ahzoh wrote:Yat-Vrkhazh:
The motherland of an empire is situated on the west coast between two mountain ranges in the north and a tropical rainforest in the south. Periodically, creatures from another universe claw their way through a metaphysical barrier and wreak destruction and suffering on the empire's inhabitants.
any event happened in Yat-Vrkhazh? like wars, plagues, tyrannies, conspiracies against the current emperor/empress, etc.?

Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena » 15 Oct 2015 17:35

Micamo, where may I find all the public documentation about Ch'shkwil'? I was thinking of story set in a similar world, so I would like to give it a try within an already outlined conworld. If you like.

cntrational
roman
roman

Post by cntrational » 15 Oct 2015 17:50

this counts as fanfic
Micamo wrote:Kanar - A society symbiotic with giant spiders, living in palaces woven of silk. Every man has a thousand wives, and society is built on the backs of eunuch slaves and sapient, humanoid plants who grow out of pods in the ground.

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 15 Oct 2015 19:01

Serena wrote:Micamo, where may I find all the public documentation about Ch'shkwil'? I was thinking of story set in a similar world, so I would like to give it a try within an already outlined conworld. If you like.
I've not written as much as I'd like to, but: http://www.aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4604

Feel free to ask any relevant questions.
cntrational wrote:this counts as fanfic

I know this was a joke, but the humanoid plants I was talking about aren't actually rooted to the ground. They work like fruit, moving around to distribute the plant's seeds. Except instead of relying on an animal to come and take the fruit, the "fruit" has a muscular system and gets up and moves around on its own. As an added benefit, it eats the plants that compete with its progenitor, and acts as its own pollinator. In Kanar these plant-folk are purposefully grown and used as a force of slave labor.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

cntrational
roman
roman

Post by cntrational » 16 Oct 2015 01:38

At least the "plants rights" bit was right!

Linguifex
roman
roman

Post by Linguifex » 18 Dec 2015 08:28

I'm considering opening up my conworld to fanfic of a certain kind, although this fanfic would be more like collaborative worldbuilding instead of straight-up fanfic. If I did, I'd insist that you allow collaborative work and that I'd get the final say over its being canon. There's a large continent to the east that I've yet to do a lot with. I'm thinking that would be the best place for a CBB fanfic to be placed.

I just have to figure out how I'd credit you in materials that I hope to be able to release someday.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.0
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 » 19 Dec 2015 00:24

This is a great idea! I'd be fine with people writing in the world of Saltha. I'm not sure if it's very interesting a world yet, I feel like there's a lot of detail missing to make it more than a bit of a bland setting, but I'm not sure what to do to unbland it.

Saltha is a desert country on the coasts inhabited by lizard-folk mainly, though there are outsider visitors such as humans. They are a medieval/fantasy technology level. They are democratic republic, overthrowing a tyrannical monarch during a war (sort of if a coup against Hitler had succeeded during WWII). Culturally while they value value their new freedoms that they saw were severely lacking under the king, they highly value for the most part unity, and see themselves as a united people rising up and changing their system of government, and so have a somewhat collectivist outlook (not sure if this makes sense?)

Their religion of the 5-and-1 (five divines, self existing, not created by, opr necessarily servants to the God Santh, but to call them "Gods" would be blaphemy) centers on discipline and purification, and a sort of "just in case" outlook. They use ritual self-beatings as part of their prayers (though nothing super severe, a few whacks with a short whip on the back). They also give monthly punishments to their children, to cover for any misdeeds they might have done over the month that wasn't punished "just in case" (though this punishment is the same as the normal spanking).

Their divines are:
Lykei: Female divine of travels, speed, dexterity, thieves and children. Depicted as a nude female, sometimes with a piece of cloth that wraps around her groin that flows out-behind her, giving a sense of movement. She is sometimes depicted as having feathery bird-like wings. She is free-spirited, carefree and somewhat of a trickster.

Rela: Male Salthan depicted as being wreathed in flame. He is the divine of power, besieging warriors, fire, rage and persecuting lawyers. He is called "the punisher", "the great refiner", "the accuser". One cult see him as some day overthrowing the God Santh and becoming God himself.

Kakela: Male salthan depicted as a giant head with stubby feet and a shield. He is the divine of endurance, city guards, defending lawyers and

Kai: Female salthan depicted in a long robe with a scroll. She is the divine of wisdom, knowledge, students and teachers.

Gikari/gikaria: A divine who has a duel nature of male and female. Some say that it is one gender, or that it can change genders at will, or is simultaneously both. Obviously the reason behind this duel nature is to appeal to any gender/orientations as an symbol of love. Gikar is the divine of love, sex, romance and seduction.

I hope this is interesting.More info can be found on the wiki. The sections "Customs" and "Religion" are particularly recommended.

edit: And really there are a few time periods one could write about. Some that I think might be interesting:
  • First contact with humans (~370 KG). Humans and Salthans realizing they are not the only race on the planet. (both meeting the Sylvanians was later). Could be sort of travelogue/first contact type story, about how some don't trust the new arrivals and wanting to harm them.
  • During the reign of the last king (60-1 KG), when there were mostly maybe about rebellion, and political intrigue. This was a time of Isolation, so no non-Salthans would probably be there without a good reason
  • Reconstruction/Republic (1 NG+): tenuous new relations with former enemies such as the human Braydonians (a knight culture), cat-people Sylvanians, and possible revenge from their former allies, the technologically (steampunkish sort of) advanced human nation of Trahern. Royalist Conspiracies, the rise of the cult of Rela.
  • Something else? (I suppose if you wanted to imagine a modern or future time for this setting, go for it.)