My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 84
Joined: 25 Mar 2017 16:40

My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by teengirlsquad » 19 Nov 2017 12:06

Image

Use a latitude/longitude-based distance calculator, divide the result from 111, and subtract the result from 90. (BTW, I'm mostly curious about the climates in it.)

EDIT: OK, so here's my attempt to justify the existence of this thread: because I wanted a thread for my specific alternate world. If there's a thread where it could be merged into, then just merge this thread with it, I guess.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/ ... ad.368765/
http://www.worlddreambank.org/P/PLANETS.HTM
Last edited by teengirlsquad on 08 Dec 2017 12:48, edited 2 times in total.


User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1768
Joined: 11 Feb 2015 11:23

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by gestaltist » 05 Dec 2017 14:24

teengirlsquad wrote:
05 Dec 2017 13:04
bump
Bump what?

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3281
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by elemtilas » 05 Dec 2017 15:51

gestaltist wrote:
05 Dec 2017 14:24
teengirlsquad wrote:
05 Dec 2017 13:04
bump
Bump what?
Perhaps this?
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 84
Joined: 25 Mar 2017 16:40

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by teengirlsquad » 05 Dec 2017 16:00

elemtilas wrote:
05 Dec 2017 15:51
gestaltist wrote:
05 Dec 2017 14:24
teengirlsquad wrote:
05 Dec 2017 13:04
bump
Bump what?
Perhaps this?
This thread, jeez.

User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6261
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by eldin raigmore » 05 Dec 2017 19:46

teengirlsquad wrote:
19 Nov 2017 12:06
[ img ] https :// i . imgur . com / Y3AMwFP . png [ /img ]

Use a latitude/longitude-based distance calculator, divide the result from 111, and subtract the result from 90. (BTW, I'm mostly curious about the climates in it.)
Your image is impressive, and I like it.
But I don't understand the rest of your Original Post.
In particular; what is your question?

Is your alternate world basically Earth tilted and given a different axis? And/or, shrunken or expanded?

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3281
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by elemtilas » 05 Dec 2017 21:17

teengirlsquad wrote:
05 Dec 2017 16:00
elemtilas wrote:
05 Dec 2017 15:51
gestaltist wrote:
05 Dec 2017 14:24
teengirlsquad wrote:
05 Dec 2017 13:04
bump
Bump what?
Perhaps this?
This thread, jeez.
Oh.

Really? Why? I mean, it's a picture of Earth. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I will be blunt: I really don't understand the point of the image or what you're getting at with it!

Lat/Lon won't be any different. Just looking at the distribution of vegetation, desert and icecap, it's apparent you've not altered the climactic zones any, which means you haven't actually altered the planet's orientation, tilt or anything else. Perhaps you were thinking, "I'll make a map of 90deg rotated Earth", but this is a rotated picture of ordinary unrotated Earth...

Now, 90 degree Rotated Earth is an interesting concept, and well worth your consideration as a project!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Kehgrehdid
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 140
Joined: 14 Sep 2010 02:30

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by Kehgrehdid » 06 Dec 2017 02:11

Best coverage you're going to find for this type of question, even though the earth is 90 degrees from your rotation, with tongue in cheek humor to boot: https://what-if.xkcd.com/10/
"Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it."

I marvel that the hardest parts of my life (fear, mistakes, guilt, sin, doubt, failure) are of man, while what I crave most (rest, hope, love, peace, forgiveness) are of God.


User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3281
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by elemtilas » 06 Dec 2017 14:59

Kehgrehdid wrote:
06 Dec 2017 02:11
Best coverage you're going to find for this type of question, even though the earth is 90 degrees from your rotation, with tongue in cheek humor to boot: https://what-if.xkcd.com/10/
Wow! Now that's a cool resource! I'll have to look at that more closely.
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3281
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by elemtilas » 06 Dec 2017 15:03

teengirlsquad wrote:
06 Dec 2017 11:20
I was inspired by this: http://www.worlddreambank.org/P/PLANETS.HTM
Nice find! So, what have you come up with for your world?
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6261
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by eldin raigmore » 07 Dec 2017 19:50

What can we say that Chris Wayan and/or Randall Munroe haven't said?
Is there something specific they (or one of them) have said that you don't understand and want one of us to explain or clarify?
Do you have a question neither of them has addressed?

teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 84
Joined: 25 Mar 2017 16:40

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by teengirlsquad » 09 Dec 2017 12:11

BTW, I've been told on alternatehistory.com that the monsoons in my alternate world are gonna be intense, because of how the continents are generally aligned, like, there are lots of large landmasses facing the water.

User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6261
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by eldin raigmore » 12 Dec 2017 17:16

teengirlsquad wrote:
09 Dec 2017 12:11
BTW, I've been told on alternatehistory.com that the monsoons in my alternate world are gonna be intense, because of how the continents are generally aligned, like, there are lots of large landmasses facing the water.
Interesting!

But it doesn't explain why *there*'s monsoons should be different in intensity than *here*'s monsoons.
It doesn't explain any other difference, either, except location (*there*'s will mostly be in or near their tropics; *here*'s are mostly in or near our tropics).

Because, *there* has the same landmasses and the same oceans (and probably many of the same, or at least similar, great lakes and inland seas) as *here* has.
Also AFAICT the same mountains and mountain-ranges and plains etc.

So *there* has the same amount of landmass facing the same amount of water as *here* has.

----------

If that isn't true, or that's not what you meant, could you please clarify?

teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 84
Joined: 25 Mar 2017 16:40

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by teengirlsquad » 13 Dec 2017 11:50

eldin raigmore wrote:
12 Dec 2017 17:16
teengirlsquad wrote:
09 Dec 2017 12:11
BTW, I've been told on alternatehistory.com that the monsoons in my alternate world are gonna be intense, because of how the continents are generally aligned, like, there are lots of large landmasses facing the water.
Interesting!

But it doesn't explain why *there*'s monsoons should be different in intensity than *here*'s monsoons.
It doesn't explain any other difference, either, except location (*there*'s will mostly be in or near their tropics; *here*'s are mostly in or near our tropics).

Because, *there* has the same landmasses and the same oceans (and probably many of the same, or at least similar, great lakes and inland seas) as *here* has.
Also AFAICT the same mountains and mountain-ranges and plains etc.

So *there* has the same amount of landmass facing the same amount of water as *here* has.

----------

If that isn't true, or that's not what you meant, could you please clarify?
OK, that person said that these places are gonna have strong typhoons. (Then again, this was from back when my alternate Earth was slightly different. Doesn't look too different, but put my other alternate Earth on one tab and this one on another tab, and you'll see both of them move.) Image


User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6261
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by eldin raigmore » 15 Dec 2017 01:29

teengirlsquad wrote:
13 Dec 2017 11:50
OK, that person said that these places are gonna have strong typhoons.
"Typhoon" comes from the Chinese words for "giant wind". It basically means "hurricane in the Pacific or Indian Ocean".
"Monsoon" means "Really wet, really long-lasting, seasonal rainstorm". In the tropics, days and nights stay pretty much equal-in-length all year round, so there isn't a cool season vs a hot season; instead there's a wet season vs a dry season. "Monsoons" signal the start of the wet season.
([citation needed] for all of that. I could be wrong.)

teengirlsquad wrote:
13 Dec 2017 11:50
(Then again, this was from back when my alternate Earth was slightly different. Doesn't look too different, but put my other alternate Earth on one tab and this one on another tab, and you'll see both of them move.)
Image
I could see only one of them, and it didn't move.

teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 84
Joined: 25 Mar 2017 16:40

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by teengirlsquad » 15 Dec 2017 14:25

BTW, who else here has actually done the calculation I've talked about here?

teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 84
Joined: 25 Mar 2017 16:40

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by teengirlsquad » 16 Dec 2017 11:45

teengirlsquad wrote:
15 Dec 2017 14:25
BTW, who else here has actually done the calculation I've talked about here?
Personally, I wound up at 33.8378.

teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 84
Joined: 25 Mar 2017 16:40

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by teengirlsquad » 20 Dec 2017 16:26

Could anybody here make some climatic guesses?

Post Reply