Dragons of Terngata
High concept: dragon riders in a post post-apocalyptic setting.
Setting: takes place several eras later in earth’s history. Earth’s land masses scattered and floated into the air during an unnamed cosmic event. What remained of humanity and other lifeforms have since changed and evolved to accommodate this changed landscape. The most notable lifeform that came out of this event: dragons. Dragons were powerful six limbed (sometimes 4 to 2) creatures, once ruling the skies until humans tamed them. 6 tribes of humans were formed soon after: the aggressive and warrior like Rogga, the resourceful and free spirited Azuru, the mischievous semi-nomadic yelno, the mysterious and magical Pergus, and the sturdy and peaceful Vekuda. The sixth tribe, the Shiryan use to rule over most of the 5 tribes before they were killed off under unknown circumstances. What remains of them are their advanced technology. There’s still rumors that a few of their kind still live, so are their dragons.
The tribes (so far)
- Rogga - tribe of ferocity. Found in the canyons and grasslands of the northwest regions. Tribal paint is red with markings resembling fire or claws. Dragons of this tribe breathe fire.
- Azuru - tribe of adaptability. Are found in nearly every coast of Terngata with the northern tribes living in tundra. Tribal paint is blue to sky blue and the markings resemble patterns of sea life or waves. Dragons of this tribe are amphibious and shoot out electricity.
- Vekuda - tribe of prosperity. Found in the tropical jungles and forest of the south east regions. Tribal paint is green or brown, resembling woodland animal markings or plants. Dragons of this tribe are sturdy and strong and have a limited control on plant life.
- Yelno - tribe of endurance. Found in the arid desert highlands in the far southwest. Tribal markings are yellow to orange with geometric lines and shapes. The dragons of the yelno are the fastest flying of the dragon breeds and their wings are believed to create gust of wind.
- Pergus - tribe of knowledge. Found in the snowy mountaintops of the north east. Tribal markings are purple to gray and riddled with arcane markings that glow when tribesmen use their magic. Dragons of this tribe can control energy and teleport in and out of existence.
- Shiryan - tribe of purity. Were once widespread throughout most of terngata before most of their kind were wiped out. Their tribal markings are white and look like diamonds or tears. Only 20 of their dragons remained and were believed to have telepathic and telekinetic capabilities.
the shadewalkers - a small group of people who have no known territory but mainly leave in the Obsidian Wastelands, islands that live under majoriy of known floating continents. They're mounts are called shadewings or dragon killers, resembling giant feathered bats and aptly named for being the main predators of dragons. The people who ride them gained a reputation for hunting down dragon riders who wander too far down the Wastelands.
seers of the silvereye - once the advisors of Shiryan royalty, seers now serve as adivsors to most of the tribes of Terngata. they don't have dragons of their own and tend to ride on pergus breed dragons.
sky pirates - thiefs and looters of the skies, sky pirates wander the open skies to seize any trading dragons they spot. as a collective, their very loose knit but answer to the self proclaimed "pirate king".
rouge dragons - descendants of dragons that were consdered untameble by humans. they comprise most of the territories in terngatta and tend to be found in the wild. because they're feral, they've proven themselves to be formiable threats for any dragon rider.
i had to omit the creation myth due to how nonsensical it was but long story short:
- dragons use to prey upon humans for hundreds of years after the Great shatter ( a event that cause the worlds contients to split apart float in the sky).
- we don't know where dragons came from but it's belived a god made them as punishment for humanity's sins
- a human manged to tame one of their kind which lead to most of them being breed for their loyalty.
- dragon tounged were named after the woman that tamed these dragons (silvertounge)
- follwers of silver tounge formed into the shiryan tribe, which ruled over the lesser tribes ( or caste in this case before the shiryan died off).
- some incident killed off thosands of shiryan tribesfolk with only 300 of their kind managed to survive it. msot of them went into hiding after that. no one could work out what caused the shiryan downfall.
if you got any suggestions please tell me. it's kinda new in a sense and i'm still refining it.