underused settings in world building

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
LinguistCat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: underused settings in world building

Post by LinguistCat » 09 Feb 2019 07:23

elemtilas wrote:
09 Feb 2019 05:39
Khemehekis wrote:
09 Feb 2019 05:17
LinguistCat wrote:
08 Feb 2019 15:59
This is funny since, in fanfiction, while not as common as high school aus or coffee shop aus, there are at least some university aus out there. How many are based on fantasy stories and how many actually have fantasy elements I wouldn't be able to tell you. But there's definitely at least some market for these stories out there. Then again, fanfiction has the advantage of people already knowing and relating to the characters, whereas writing a completely new story might have trouble pulling people in.
What's "aus", besides the German word for "out"?
aus < alternate universe(s) < Australia
I suppose Australia IS an alternate universe [:P]

But yeah, I did mean "alternate universe" and forgot not everyone would know that abbreviation in context.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 09 Feb 2019 07:31

I would have written "AU's".

When I saw "aus", I actually wondered if it was a borrowing from the German word, and referred to a fish "out" of water setting.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 58,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 15 Feb 2019 03:52

Khemehekis wrote:
07 Feb 2019 00:41
Reyzadren wrote:
31 Jan 2019 23:28
Quick example: Most members here present low fantasy conworlds with bronze age analogues or get really technical with scifi, except 1 conlanger who does urban fantasy (you go girl! [:D]). I guess I am one of the few who use "typical mixed fantasy" for the conworld.
The Lehola Galaxy is based on new-age conspiracy theory. It has planets with Greys, planets with reptoids, starchildren and other splicechildren, abductions, ARV's, ufopoleis, and governments that attempt to enslave humans.

I don't do fantasy. There are no elves, dwarves, orcs, dragons, etc. in Lehola. It could be called science fiction, but it's not science fiction in the model of Star Trek, nor is it particularly close to Isaac Asimov, Olaf Stapledon, or Poul Anderson.
The 8th World, the world where Long-longs live, has elements inspired by some alternative beliefs to the fact like pleistocene civilization(e.g. "Atlantis", Lonmai Luna is set as the 8th World version of "Atlantean" language) and illuminati-freemasonry-new world order conspiracy theories, which I used to be somewhat fascinated with(and I am outgrowing of them).
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 15 Feb 2019 04:26

back to the topic, how many creations have used elements from the Voodoo religions for a fantastic setting, or have religions with elements inspired by Voodoo religions in a more realistic conworld setting?
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!