(C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: (C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Jan 2015 22:03

shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:The point is, they go somewhere, and then they return, usually in a day or two.
As Keenir said, they return to farms/towns, not larger cities. It doesn't make much sense to me to have a good portion of a city's population just leave the city for several days at a time.
Well what's around a city? Farmlands/Herdlands? My initial question should have meant "Are all pastorialists nomadic", but that question is answered.

Now, I have to figure out how I'm going to explain cities that are at most 400km away from the nearest lake in the middle of a desert. Maybe there is a well or an oasis, but I don't have these kinds of things indicated on my map...
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 16 Jan 2015 22:32

Ahzoh wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:The point is, they go somewhere, and then they return, usually in a day or two.
As Keenir said, they return to farms/towns, not larger cities. It doesn't make much sense to me to have a good portion of a city's population just leave the city for several days at a time.
well, if they don't have to worry about being robbed...(why? owning nothing of value? everyone else is terrified of retaliation for even perceived thefts?)...then I suppose I could see them leaving for a week or so at a time. {for religious reasons, or traditional pursuits - like narwhal hunting}
Well what's around a city? Farmlands/Herdlands?
(that I can think of), most ranches are fenced...yes, the cattle are herded from one end to another, but they remain on their owner's property.
My initial question should have meant "Are all pastorialists nomadic",
all - no. portions of a given pastoral society - sure can be...like the sheepherders in Israel during the time of the Prophets.
Now, I have to figure out how I'm going to explain cities that are at most 400km away from the nearest lake in the middle of a desert.
do they have something in or veryyyyy near the cities, which allows them to import supplies of water from elsewhere? like mining towns.
(one of the largest ones was on Going to Extremes, because it is located in the hottest place on Earth - the Afar Basin...they quarry salt there, and water has to be hauled in on camels)
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 16 Jan 2015 22:37

Keenir wrote:well, if they don't have to worry about being robbed...(why? owning nothing of value? everyone else is terrified of retaliation for even perceived thefts?)...then I suppose I could see them leaving for a week or so at a time. {for religious reasons, or traditional pursuits - like narwhal hunting}
Yeah, that's what I meant. If most of the population leaves for a day or two at a time, outsiders are probably going to come in, destroy and steal everything, and maybe even kill the people that aren't out herding cattle or hunting narwhal.

My point is that it's quite risky.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Jan 2015 22:45

Keenir wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Now, I have to figure out how I'm going to explain cities that are at most 400km away from the nearest lake in the middle of a desert.
do they have something in or veryyyyy near the cities, which allows them to import supplies of water from elsewhere? like mining towns.
(one of the largest ones was on Going to Extremes, because it is located in the hottest place on Earth - the Afar Basin...they quarry salt there, and water has to be hauled in on camels)
I'm just going to reference my map here: http://i.imgur.com/UPr7yzV.png
Sure, cities like Qazhd are built around the manufacture and mining of sacred stones like Onyx and Turquoise.
The problem, however lies with Uzer, which appear smack dab in the middle of nowhere with the nearest source of water on the map some 400km away.
However, they may be a city that is right above an aquafier or ground water source and thus draws its water from wells. Or maybe it is located on an oasis or series of oases.

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 16 Jan 2015 23:26

Ahzoh wrote:
Keenir wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Now, I have to figure out how I'm going to explain cities that are at most 400km away from the nearest lake in the middle of a desert.
Sure, cities like Qazhd are built around the manufacture and mining of sacred stones like Onyx and Turquoise.
The problem, however lies with Uzer, which appear smack dab in the middle of nowhere with the nearest source of water on the map some 400km away.
However, they may be a city that is right above an aquafier or ground water source and thus draws its water from wells. Or maybe it is located on an oasis or series of oases.
entirely possible.

one other option is that Uzer is a holy city {like Jerusalem or Nan Madol}
... or is signifigant to your conpeople for some other reason...(an example - if there's a folk tradition or something, that says Uzer is the oldest continually-inhabited city, the eldest of all surviving cities from a bygone age, no leader is going to be the one who ruins his name by saying "okay folks, time to leave")

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Jan 2015 23:53

Keenir wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Keenir wrote:
entirely possible.

one other option is that Uzer is a holy city {like Jerusalem or Nan Madol}
... or is signifigant to your conpeople for some other reason...(an example - if there's a folk tradition or something, that says Uzer is the oldest continually-inhabited city, the eldest of all surviving cities from a bygone age, no leader is going to be the one who ruins his name by saying "okay folks, time to leave")
It's the Capital City where the Emperor resides. In fact, Uzer means "point of focus" in reference to this.

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 17 Jan 2015 02:21

Ahzoh wrote:
Keenir wrote: one other option is that Uzer is a holy city {like Jerusalem or Nan Madol}
It's the Capital City where the Emperor resides. In fact, Uzer means "point of focus" in reference to this.
then that {the imperial residence} can be sufficient reason, particularly since its a reference point, or once was.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Jan 2015 06:24

Does the deep depression on this map look realistic/plausible to you?
The depressions are about 40m deep below sea level, and the cuts from the lines indicate slopes, as opposed to steep ridges.

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 17 Jan 2015 12:53

[quote="Ahzoh"]Does the deep depression on this map look realistic/plausible to you?
The depressions are about 40m deep below sea level, and the cuts from the lines indicate slopes, as opposed to steep ridges.

depends. this isn't the sort of thing that can get "yes" or "no."

possibilities: collapsed volcanoes. (the lower right may've been a Deccan Traps or worse way way back when)
possibilities: canyons, dried-out lakes, wallows (made by pretty big critters & eroded to even larger)

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 17 Jan 2015 17:42

@ Ahzoh -

Your "aquifer" stories remind me of something that I experienced which you might be able to use. I lived in Piura, Peru for 3 years. Piura is a pretty much arid, desertic place, with some river/arroyos, but pretty much sandy & dry, like your con-region. Well, they used to have big fresh-water aquifers for the town, but, b/c of a boom in the Petrochemical industry back in the 60s-70s, the population exploded. They needed to drill for more wells to accommodate the new population. Unfortunately, one of the drillings hit a salt-water reservoir, which over the years seeped into fresh-water reservoir. To this day, all of the main wells in Piura give pretty noticeably brackish water from the tap. Okay for boiled veggies or soup, not so great for coffee or tea (or one's kidneys, especially).

Though your conculture might not have advanced plumbing/exploratory drilling technology, there could have been a kind of natural seepage and mixing after, say an earthquake, which made it hard for folks to stay in one town or another due to high salinity in the water.

:?: :wat:

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Jan 2015 18:10

Keenir wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Does the deep depression on this map look realistic/plausible to you?

possibilities: collapsed volcanoes. (the lower right may've been a Deccan Traps or worse way way back when)
possibilities: canyons, dried-out lakes, wallows (made by pretty big critters & eroded to even larger)
So there isn't a geographical factor that affects the existence of these things like the mountains, or presence of coast?
I think collapsed volcanoes would be more likely for the both of them... cause I have no ravines running through like a canyon would.

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 17 Jan 2015 19:52

Ahzoh wrote:
Keenir wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Does the deep depression on this map look realistic/plausible to you?

So there isn't a geographical factor that affects the existence of these things like the mountains, or presence of coast?
there probably is.

Israel's Dead Sea, Death Valley, Danikil(sp) Depression, and so on.
I think collapsed volcanoes would be more likely for the both of them...
Siberian Traps, that's what I was thinking of.
cause I have no ravines running through like a canyon would.
to me, ravines=canyons.

Mugitus
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Mugitus » 18 Jan 2015 23:00

Does anyone have any good online resources on how to design a realistic climate for your conworld? Everything I read is extremely complex.
Nimitzitta!

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 18 Jan 2015 23:41

Mugitus wrote:Does anyone have any good online resources on how to design a realistic climate for your conworld? Everything I read is extremely complex.
I don't know if either of those resource threads over in the Teach & Share section have anything on conworlding as opposed to conlanging, but I'd recommend checking those out just in case.

I can't recommend anything specific myself, since, like you said, the stuff I've personally come across is very complex, and I'm no climatologist.

loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn » 19 Jan 2015 01:51

I've been using Geoff's climate cookbook.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 19 Jan 2015 10:58

If a language uses the same form of a noun for both accusative and nominative functions but differing forms for dative and genative, what would you call the first form? Would it still be nominative, or would absolutive or some other term fit better?

The only other caveat here is that the form in question would be the least marked form, and thereby also citation form.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 19 Jan 2015 12:12

Thrice Xandvii wrote:If a language uses the same form of a noun for both accusative and nominative functions but differing forms for dative and genative, what would you call the first form? Would it still be nominative, or would absolutive or some other term fit better?

The only other caveat here is that the form in question would be the least marked form, and thereby also citation form.
While I feel that this question might have been meant for the Conlang Quick Question thread, there's no reason I can't try to answer it here. [:)] I'd call the nominative/accusative form simply the nominative, if I were you, especially since it's the citation/least marked form of the noun. Unless the language isn't nominative-accusative in terms of alignment, I wouldn't recommend use the term absolutive because of its possible connotations.

I hope that helps.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 19 Jan 2015 12:21

Oops! [:$] I meant to post it in the Linguistics and Natlangs Quickie thread!

Thanks.

I'm gonna move it over there for some follow up stuff.

Dezinaa
roman
roman

Post by Dezinaa » 20 Jan 2015 03:49

Kind of a strange question, but would blue or green skin/hair be possible in a mammal-like conspecies? There are apparently no blue or green mammals on earth (and for that matter, there aren't even any non-brownish/grayscale colored mammals).

I was thinking it might be possible to do something like butterfly coloring, which bends light waves instead of actually being a bright color. But I don't know if hair or fur or skin could do that.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 20 Jan 2015 03:51

Well, maybe it could be like the polar bear, which has black skin and clear fur, which appears white on the outside. It really depends on what they use for pigmentation. If this animal were to start using green pigments, then it is possible.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.