(C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: (C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Ahzoh » 27 Oct 2014 02:57

Lambuzhao wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I wonder what the colours of my flag could represent:
The wings represent crows, a highly valued bird, while the symbol represents a cultural hero.
The black may also represent "whither the crow flies" i.e. maybe a Vrkazh concept of "Lebensraum".

The symbol of the hero is in red, evoking the whole "blood of the ancestors" motif, i.e. "the symbol is red because his/her blood flows in us" {unless, of course, their blood is not red}

The blue color could mean anything, but for some reason it reminded me of how Native American, Turkic, and othe rcultures associate cardinal directions with psrticular colors.
which see:
https://sites.google.com/site/colorsoft ... ated-links

:?:
Lebensraum... Yeah, I'm not sure I want something that is a major component of Nazi/fascist ideologies...

That is not blue, it's turquoise.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 27 Oct 2014 04:53

Ahzoh wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:The black may also represent "whither the crow flies" i.e. maybe a Vrkazh concept of "Lebensraum".
Lebensraum... Yeah, I'm not sure I want something that is a major component of Nazi/fascist ideologies...
I'm not sure Lam was at all suggesting modelling Vrkazh on the Third Reich. Would one feel better calling it "Manifest Destiny"? Or set it to Schoolhouse Rock and call it "elbow room". "Whither the crow flies" suggests to me freedom and vastness, which I can certainly imagine a desert people plugging into, and would probably count as "maybe a Vrkazh concept of 'Lebensraum'" (which, stripped of all the baggage, just means "living space").
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 27 Oct 2014 05:14

Lao Kou wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:The black may also represent "whither the crow flies" i.e. maybe a Vrkazh concept of "Lebensraum".
I'm not sure Lam was at all suggesting modelling Vrkazh on the Third Reich. Would one feel better calling it "Manifest Destiny"? Or set it to Schoolhouse Rock and call it "elbow room". "Whither the crow flies" suggests to me freedom and vastness, which I can certainly imagine a desert people plugging into, and would probably count as "maybe a Vrkazh concept of 'Lebensraum'" (which, stripped of all the baggage, just means "living space").
I would certaintly consider Friedrich Ratzel's definition, "Ratzel believed that the development of a people was primarily influenced by their geographical situation and that a people that successfully adapted to one location would proceed naturally to another."

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 30 Oct 2014 14:17

Could desert countries have an abundance of iron, copper and tin? Is there a scientific means of determining the distribution of these materials?

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 30 Oct 2014 20:11

Ahzoh wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
I would certaintly consider Friedrich Ratzel's definition, "Ratzel believed that the development of a people was primarily influenced by their geographical situation and that a people that successfully adapted to one location would proceed naturally to another."
....Maybe "Sphere of Influence" is less fascist?
...or how about "As the crow flies"...?
[:S]

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 30 Oct 2014 20:33

Ahzoh wrote:Could desert countries have an abundance of iron, copper and tin? Is there a scientific means of determining the distribution of these materials?
I am quite sure northern Chile's Atacama Desert region is pretty rich in mineral resources. The Andes mountains nearby certainly are. Peru has been kicking itself in the pants ever since losing it to Chile back in the 19th century.

I would say that, as long as a desert had mountains are nearby, the case could be made that abundant valuable minerals (gems, ores) can be discovered. But there are numerous minerals of interest to you to be had in the deserts themselves, which see-
http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/deserts/minerals/

Here's a short article about Morocco's untapped mineral wealth:
http://rough-polished.com/en/expertise/59230.html

Here's a paper on Fractals and Power Laws to predict the location of mineral deposits-
http://www.maths-in-industry.org/miis/5 ... posits.pdf

Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy » 03 Nov 2014 00:52

How practical would it be to use cobalt for things like weaponry, tools, etc?
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 04 Nov 2014 14:56

IMUO, I would say not very practical... But... I cannot find any mention of cobalt as a material for weapons...
Could the colour black symbolize existence and tangibility rather than nothingness?
Think not a shadow, but of what gives a shadow,
Think of a black stain on white linen,
Think of a silhouetted shape in the darkness.

Although black is visualized as something unseen and full nothing, I would argue that white is blank and clean, with nothing on it.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 04 Nov 2014 15:39

Corphishy wrote:How practical would it be to use cobalt for things like weaponry, tools, etc?
Not in the slightest.

I mean, where are you getting the cobalt from? Cobalt is a devil (note the name) to produce - it occurs with other stuff, and smelting it will turn it into powder (it oxidises rapidly). And kill you (because it usually occurs alongside arsenic, and arsenic oxides are toxic). A very small amount is available in recent meteorites, but even then you need to unentangle it from the nickel.

Once you've gotten your raw cobalt - great, its physical properties are fairly similar to bronze and steel. There's no particular reason to use it rather than bronze or steel, however, since the latter would be much cheaper. I'm also not sure about oxidation: apparently it forms a protective oxide layer, like aluminium, but I don't know if that oxide layer is something you're going to want to be bashing against an anvil or a shield. Maybe, maybe not, you'd need to talk to someone who knows about this stuff.

Short version: it's possible it's entirely useless (if the oxides can be bashed away too easily). Best case scenario, it's useful but not especially. And it's hell to obtain.

It is of course incredibly useful in creating superalloys, but a culture would have to be modern to be able to do that reliably (as opposed to, say, a particular 'miracle mine' that gives really good 'steel').

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 04 Nov 2014 18:55

Could the colour black symbolize existence and tangibility rather than nothingness?
Think not a shadow, but of what gives a shadow?
A black stain on white linen?
A silhouetted shape in the darkness?

Although black is visualized as something unseen and full nothing, I would argue that white is blank and clean, with nothing on it.

Also, could crows and ravens survive in arid climates?

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 04 Nov 2014 19:18

Ahzoh wrote:Could the colour black symbolize existence and tangibility rather than nothingness?

Why would you think that it couldn't? Color symbolism is primarily convention, and convention is arbitrary. The only thing you can say for certain is that they'd associate colors with objects in their environment that *are* that color; Green with grass, Blue with sky, Brown with dirt, etc. But these may not be the most salient associations in art and visual design.
Apparently.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 04 Nov 2014 19:39

Micamo wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Could the colour black symbolize existence and tangibility rather than nothingness?

Why would you think that it couldn't? Color symbolism is primarily convention, and convention is arbitrary. The only thing you can say for certain is that they'd associate colors with objects in their environment that *are* that color; Green with grass, Blue with sky, Brown with dirt, etc. But these may not be the most salient associations in art and visual design.
You are entirely right, despite that my spiritualist friend disagrees...
However, I don't know if there are human universals or near-universals regarding cultural views, as it applies to human psychology.

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 05 Nov 2014 01:45

Micamo wrote:

Apparently.
There are also Hooded Crows and Pied Crows that live in arid areas of Africa and the Middle East, but these are not entirely black. Such birds would not only be full of nothing, but also be blank and clean... in a manner of speaking. [B)]

Indubitably.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 08 Nov 2014 18:37

What do you think of the idea of relatives painting the body of the deceased? Or too morbid?

thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha » 08 Nov 2014 19:04

Painting how? It sounds like a similar idea to the practice of using sarcophagi in Egypt.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 08 Nov 2014 19:32

Teddy wrote:Painting how? It sounds like a similar idea to the practice of using sarcophagi in Egypt.
Exactly. Aozoh, your con people might first paint their deceased with natural colors first and then seal them with translucent wax or something prior to dropping/depositing/burying them in the desert.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 08 Nov 2014 20:21

I mean physically painting their flesh... with artistic designs and vibrant colours. They would do it to the entire body, not an inch would be spared, well, except maybe the genitals...

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 09 Nov 2014 02:11

Ahzoh wrote:What do you think of the idea of relatives painting the body of the deceased? Or too morbid?
Why morbid? IMO not morbid at all. Depending on how long the process took, it might become unsanitary, though.

It would make a lil more sense if they preserved the body of the deceased by painting it with colored unguents, pastes of preserving salts that reacted with the flesh to make certain colors or hues, and then finished with some kind of perfumed oil or gum or lacquer that, over time, reacted with the former substances to create maybe metallic/iridescent sheens on the flesh of the deceased, and a kind of preserving final coating.
I mean physically painting their flesh... with artistic designs and vibrant colours. They would do it to the entire body, not an inch would be spared, well, except maybe the genitals...
Shave and paint the wedding-tackle as well! Why stop there? Or maybe the nether-portions get painted all one color like black/sienna/red/indigo...? To juxtapose with the other palette for the cadaver.

:?:

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 09 Nov 2014 02:25

Ahzoh wrote:I mean physically painting their flesh... with artistic designs and vibrant colours. They would do it to the entire body, not an inch would be spared, well, except maybe the genitals...
Geez, I guess you can't take it with you. [xP]
Lambuzhao wrote:Shave and paint the wedding-tackle as well! Why stop there? Or maybe the nether-portions get painted all one color like black/sienna/red/indigo...?
If preservation is also in the mix, that would take away the need to explain why "down there" is left as a nosh to the desert creepy crawlies.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 09 Nov 2014 02:31

I like Lam's idea about preserving, however, I would still want that they use pigments and dyes and all that other stuff they used to paint in ancient cultures... like maybe how Ancient Egypts mixed their colours with some gummy substance or maybe they will make oil paints like the Sumerians...

I imagine it would only take an hour since the extended family is involved.
"I remembered one instance of this corpse painting... At first they used preserving salts to give the body a bit of colour and to allow them time to paint. The family, with large containers of a variety of paints would adorn the deceased man's body with all sorts of large triangle shapes of green and blue and orange, with gold coloured lines separating each one from the other. The genital region would be all coloured black by the deceased man's adult children, as well as spouses, though for some, the undergarment is still left over the corpse. The chest and the back would have been painted with vibrant crows wings and the face decorated with blue stars. The corpse in its entirety would come to represent the designs of the family and those designs would have been inspired by how the family felt about the individual and thus each painting was a representation of what he was in life." Now doesn't that sound beautiful?