(C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Re: (C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by alynnidalar » 25 Dec 2014 16:34

I make them in GIMP, with the same caveat.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 25 Dec 2014 17:53

Buffaloman wrote:I'm trying to make a world map for my conworld, and I fiddled around on AutoRealm for a little while before realizing how lost I really was. If you have made a map for your conworld, which program did you use?
A neat little app called Penz-n-Paper! :mrgreen:

elemtilas

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 25 Dec 2014 18:28

elemtilas wrote:
Buffaloman wrote:I'm trying to make a world map for my conworld, and I fiddled around on AutoRealm for a little while before realizing how lost I really was. If you have made a map for your conworld, which program did you use?
A neat little app called Penz-n-Paper! :mrgreen:

elemtilas
You mean that old thing where if you draw it wrong you have to start from scratch again?
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 25 Dec 2014 19:13

Ahzoh wrote:You mean that old thing where if you draw it wrong you have to start from scratch again?
Not necessarily, if you have a rubber.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 25 Dec 2014 20:33

Egerius wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:You mean that old thing where if you draw it wrong you have to start from scratch again?
He said PEN, how do you erase a pen?

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 25 Dec 2014 20:39

Ahzoh wrote:
Egerius wrote:
He said PEN, how do you erase a pen?
I do remember once owning a pen that you could rub out. I think they're still a thing, but I'm not quite sure how they actually work.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 25 Dec 2014 22:52

From what I remember, they erase somewhat, but not as well as pencil.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 26 Dec 2014 02:16

Dormouse559 wrote:From what I remember, they erase somewhat, but not as well as pencil.
Eitherway the end result is an ireversible blurry smudge on otherwise clean paper.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 26 Dec 2014 03:41

Ahzoh wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:From what I remember, they erase somewhat, but not as well as pencil.
Eitherway the end result is an ireversible blurry smudge on otherwise clean paper.
And here I just do what they did back in the day -- put a patch over the error and continue onward! Or accept the mistake as a scribal error, or a mythinterpretation of fact... Just because I made the map or wrote the book about some aspect of the World doesn't mean it reflects my supposed external omniscience! That's half the fun, recognising how and where the in-world author would make mistakes.

elemtilas

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 26 Dec 2014 15:28

The trick to running PENZ-n-PAPER app to the maximum potential is that you also need to have the third-party shareware DOS program PNCL installed. It is admittedly, the most primitive thing going, BUT it's ability to erase with minimal smudging makes it ideal as the base layer on any map.

Then, one can retrace with the PENZ function if one so desires.

I'm old school, so I would be content to just chug along with PNCL and maybe also COLOR-PNCLZ 2.0.

[;)]

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 28 Dec 2014 21:02

I've consistently said that Silvish is spoken along the border betwen France and Italy. I kind of want to create a small country in that area, but I'm not sure how to go about it. It's not as easy when your conlang isn't spoken on an island in the middle of the ocean. Should I appropriate existing geography - quietly Silvicize the region - or imagine some extra land? What have those of you in similar situations done?

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 28 Dec 2014 22:52

Dormouse559 wrote:Should I appropriate existing geography - quietly Silvicize the region
IMO this is best. If Lichtenstein and Andorra can do it why can't you?
Dormouse559 wrote:or imagine some extra land?
This is another frequently-used technique.

IMO whatever you come up with is probably gonna be OK.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 28 Dec 2014 22:57

Dormouse559 wrote:Should I appropriate existing geography - quietly Silvicize the region
What about people living under the earth for some reason? Cathars fleeing into the mountains and then founding a city inside it?
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 28 Dec 2014 23:30

Didn't really think about that … I suppose they could always send in the Spanish Inquisition.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 29 Dec 2014 01:22

Dormouse559 wrote:Didn't really think about that … I suppose they could always send in the Spanish Inquisition.
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

(It was just hanging there begging to be said, might as well be by me.)
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 29 Dec 2014 01:49

Lao Kou wrote:(It was just hanging there begging to be said, might as well be by me.)
I certainly wasn't setting that up or anything. [;)]
eldin raigmore wrote:
IMO this is best. If Lichtenstein and Andorra can do it why can't you?
Yeah! Why can't I? They think they're so special, but I can make an obscure principality just as well as they can, better even!

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 29 Dec 2014 03:04

Dormouse559 wrote:I certainly wasn't setting that up or anything. [;)]
I thought not.
eldin raigmore wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:If Lichtenstein and Andorra can do it why can't you?
Yeah! Why can't I? They think they're so special, but I can make an obscure principality just as well as they can, better even!
Indeed. I saw a documentary, within the last year I think, about these and there are a few of them -- five? or dare I say it, seven? peppered around the region. I think there's room for another. Start printing your commemorative postage stamps now. [:D]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 29 Dec 2014 03:27

Dormouse559 wrote:
me wrote:IMO this is best. If Lichtenstein and Andorra can do it why can't you?
The microstates in Europe usually include Andorra, Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, San Marino, and Vatican City; Luxembourg sometimes almost counts as a microstate; less often so does Iceland. Some folks don't consider Vatican City a state.
Of these the one closest to the French-Italian border is Monaco; but it's on the Mediterranean, nowhere close to Switzerland.
The triple point where the Swiss-French border, the Swiss-Italian border, and the French-Italian border all meet, is as near as dammit Mont Dolent.
The town closest to that big enough to show up on Google Maps seems to be Chamonix, France.
It's 69 km (41 mi) by car (actually you have to get out and walk -- and/or climb and/or ski -- shortly before you get there), but much closer "as the crow flies".
Bourg-Saint-Pierre, Switzerland is even closer (27 km) by bus or trolley or train (I can't tell what that symbol means, but it's 6 times per day); but even it is closer "as the crow flies" than by bus, trolley, train, or whatever it is.
Saint-Rhemy-en-Bosses, Italy, is a bit closer than Chamonix. But you have to go through Bourg-Saint-Pierre to get to Mont Dolent from Saint-Rhemy-en-Bosses. A bus/train/tram/trolley/whatever goes there twice a day.
OTOH to get there from Entreves, Italy, you have to go through Chamonix.
Edit: Orsieres, Switzerland is even closer; 14 km away. It's called a "hamlet". It's hard to tell which spots represent cities, which spots represent towns, which represent villages, and which represent hamlets; and some just represent resorts.
A "Prayon" (whatever that is), or something, goes to Mont Dolent every 2 hours.
How big do you want your microstate to be?
Andorra, Liechtenstein, and Malta all have more than one city apiece, and San Marino has several municipalities in addition to the City of San Marino; but Monaco and Vatican City are city-states with just one municipality each. (Monaco does have five "quarters" and ten "wards".)
Between Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco, and San Marino, the most populous is Andorra at about 85,000 residents, and the biggest is also Andorra at about 470 square kilometres.
San Marino is least populous at about 33,000 residents, and Monaco is smallest at about 2 km2 .

If your microstate were a circle centered on Mont Dolent and reaching halfway to Bourg-Saint-Pierre (not quite to Orsieres) it would be about the size of Andorra, I think. OTOH I could be wrong.
I don't know how your con-people could make their livings there. There are probably people living there now in real life, though apparently not enough to form a village.
Your conpeople might think of Orsieres as "the big city".

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 29 Dec 2014 04:15

Lao Kou wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:Didn't really think about that … I suppose they could always send in the Spanish Inquisition.

No one expects the Spanish Selvesc Inquisition!

No ispeita ‘l huom l’enquisiczoni selvesca!
Spoiler:
In bad Silvish, no less!

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 29 Dec 2014 05:56

eldin raigmore wrote:The microstates in Europe usually include …

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Wow, that's really helpful, eldin. Thank you. I don't know exactly what size I want for this microstate, larger than Monaco, but smaller than Andorra, which tells us nothing [:P] In the end though, whatever size ends up historically feasible. Mt. Dolent and its immediate vicinity seem pretty desolate for a microstate to work out. But based on highly cursory research on the area, the Savoy region switched back and forth several times between France and Sardinia/Italy. It seems like it might be promising territory.
Lambuzhao wrote:No ispeita ‘l huom l’enquisiczoni selvesca!
Spoiler:
In bad Silvish, no less!
Not bad at all. Your naturalizations of "Inquisition" and "expectat" are nearly perfect (though Silvish uses a different verb for "expect"). As a relatively recent borrowing, "Inquisition" doesn't get the customary ending. I'd say: "Negn'n s'aspreta all'Enquisizioni selvesc!"