(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by eldin raigmore » 14 Aug 2019 00:36

Didn’t she, or someone anyway, also use colors, and/or stones?
Wouldn’t there be a difference between the hypothetical Project Cinnabar, the hypothetical Project Vermilion, and the hypothetical Project Terlinguaite?

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 14 Aug 2019 02:32

eldin raigmore wrote:
14 Aug 2019 00:36
Didn’t she, or someone anyway, also use colors, and/or stones?
Wouldn’t there be a difference between the hypothetical Project Cinnabar, the hypothetical Project Vermilion, and the hypothetical Project Terlinguaite?
I must admit I can't recall any specific names xe used, but I believe you're correct about someone, or multiple someones, using color names. As for stones, it's very possible. I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to geology, so if presented with a number of "Project X" names, I doubt I'd know whether they referred to minerals, stones, or other substances/materials.
Edit: I've realized since responding to Thrice Xandvii that Corphishy recently started a thread for a "Project Garnet", which may be what prompted the question. In any case, it seems that the tradition is alive.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 14 Aug 2019 05:07

I kind of like the "Project X" naming scheme, even though I've never used it. I tend to come up with a name for the language right away, although it's certainly subject to change. ("Lihmelinyan" was originally called "Mantian", before I decided to make the latter an umbrella term like "Romance"). But the "Project X" naming scheme makes me think of tech companies and their various code names for unreleased software. It's cool :)

LinguistCat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by LinguistCat » 15 Aug 2019 01:36

I hadn't really even noticed this was a major naming scheme. I guess I'm a little too stuck in my own head and mostly skim thread titles for things I'm interested in, so names like this would hardly even register...