Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Khemehekis » 30 Oct 2016 04:30

GrandPiano wrote:Small typo I noticed: The hover text for the Wikipedia icon ( :wikip: ) says "Wikpedia" rather than "Wikipedia".
Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 60,137 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 30 Oct 2016 05:05

Khemehekis wrote:Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
That's a typical British pronunciation of the word. The first vowel in -ary and -ory is usually deleted or reduced in British English.

Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis » 30 Oct 2016 05:28

Dormouse559 wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
That's a typical British pronunciation of the word. The first vowel in -ary and -ory is usually deleted or reduced in British English.
Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 30 Oct 2016 05:35

sangi39 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
Aszev wrote:sangi39 and Dormouse559 have been appointed moderators.
Thank you, Aszev, and congratulations to the two new mods!
And thank you Elemtilas [:)] I don't know about Dormouse559, but I was a bit surprised by the offer, but I'm quite looking forward to it [:)]
So tell us all about your elevation ceremony! I'm sure there were loads of secret handshakes and recitations from the Ancient and Enlightened Ritual before the official regalia and wands of power were bestowed.

Best of luck, and hopefully you two can help sort out the backlog of things needing attention!

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 30 Oct 2016 05:52

Khemehekis wrote:Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
Yes, most if not all of them. Some of the more striking examples for me are "laboratory", "respiratory" and "library" /ləˈbɒɹətɹiː ɹɪˈspɪrətɹiː ˈlaɪb(ɹ)(ə)ɹiː/

The chance to make this topic into yet another English-pronunciation thread distracted me.
sangi39 wrote:And thank you Elemtilas [:)] I don't know about Dormouse559, but I was a bit surprised by the offer, but I'm quite looking forward to it [:)]
I was a little surprised, too, but I'm sure it'll be a good experience. [:D]
elemtilas wrote:So tell us all about your elevation ceremony! I'm sure there were loads of secret handshakes and recitations from the Ancient and Enlightened Ritual before the official regalia and wands of power were bestowed.
As you can see from our avatars, we have donned the traditional moderator cowls.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 30 Oct 2016 06:33

Thats unusual to begin with. Unless (x-sampa) dIkS@nr\I is more common than I thought it was.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 30 Oct 2016 07:23

Dormouse559 wrote:Some of the more striking examples for me are "laboratory", "respiratory" and "library" /ləˈbɒɹətɹiː ɹɪˈspɪrətɹiː ˈlaɪb(ɹ)(ə)ɹiː/

The chance to make this topic into yet another English-pronunciation thread distracted me.
One should never forego a YAEPT opportunity. [B)] À propos of nothing other than this YAEPT reminded me of it... I did a double-take recently, as I always do, hearing a Brit on TV say [ɪnˈkwa͜ɪəri] for <inquiry>. I would anticipate Britons to say [ˈɪnkwɪri]/[ˈɪnkwəri] and Americans to say [ɪnˈkwa͜ɪəri], but it appears to be just the opposite (though I imagine there's some free variation in there, even within idiolects). Oh well. My own little personal cross to bear. [>_<]
cowls.
"Cowl" is such a cool word. [:D] And congrats to you and sangi39. Do we need cake?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis » 30 Oct 2016 07:40

Lao Kou wrote:
cowls.
"Cowl" is such a cool word.
Do you have a Géarthnuns word for "cowl"? (In Kankonian, it's hulor.)
♂♥♂♀

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 30 Oct 2016 10:00

Khemehekis wrote:Do you have a Géarthnuns word for "cowl"? (In Kankonian, it's hulor.)
Well, we do now! [xP]

The go-to staple of Géarthçins fashion is the rhkasheförs, a unisex, long piece of cloth, commonly translated as "chlamys, chlanis". Everyone has at least one, and it functions like Linus' blanket. It's a shawl! It's a blanket! It's a shawl! It's a tent! It's a shawl! It's a scarf! It's a shawl! It's a hobo's bundle! It's a shawl! It's a cowl! That's probably how that would play out locally.

But to say we did, a "cowl" is rhkaçejets, a "rhka-hood". That captures the total awesomeness of a monk's cowl. What the Batman sports, however, we'll leave to another lexical day.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » 30 Oct 2016 12:33

Khemehekis wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
It varies. I remove it in "secretary", "military", "factory" (I sometimes leave in vague hints of a schwa in factory) etc., but not in "dictionary"
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » 30 Oct 2016 12:45

GrandPiano wrote:Small typo I noticed: The hover text for the Wikipedia icon ( :wikip: ) says "Wikpedia" rather than "Wikipedia".
It's fixed now! Thanks for pointing it out [:)]
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 30 Oct 2016 13:52

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
It varies. I remove it in "secretary", "military", "factory" (I sometimes leave in vague hints of a schwa in factory) etc., but not in "dictionary"
I syncopate it in all of those words, and furthermore before /ɹ/ my /t/ becomes /tʃ/: /ləˈbɒɹətʃɹi/

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 30 Oct 2016 14:12

Fine, I don't care if we need it or not. For Dormouse and sangi, Cake!

道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 30 Oct 2016 15:27

Lao Kou wrote:Fine, I don't care if we need it or not. For Dormouse and sangi, Cake!

All hail our new overlords!!

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 30 Oct 2016 16:28

DesEsseintes wrote:All hail our new overlords!!
:yout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcUHQYhPTE

Down to the sugar caves, lads!

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 31 Oct 2016 00:40

elemtilas wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:All hail our new overlords!!
:yout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcUHQYhPTE

Down to the sugar caves, lads!
Nooooo! You've exposed my secret identity! Now I shall have to report to the Queen and let her know of my failure [:(]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 31 Oct 2016 11:18

So I have a mod question: will either of you be taking over the rewarding of ranks? Ossicone seems largely absent these days.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 31 Oct 2016 13:01

DesEsseintes wrote:So I have a mod question: will either of you be taking over the rewarding of ranks? Ossicone seems largely absent these days.
Now that is a good question. I'd assume we have the same responsibilities regarding the rewarding of ranks as the Elder Mods ( [:P] ), so I may have to have a quick chat with Aszev about the procedure on that one [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » 31 Oct 2016 19:08

Frislander wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
I syncopate it in all of those words, and furthermore before /ɹ/ my /t/ becomes /tʃ/: /ləˈbɒɹətʃɹi/
I do something like that, but mine seems to be a little more like [t͡ɕ]
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 31 Oct 2016 19:42

That discussion of words in -ary reminds me of the Transatlantic accent - championed by the likes of Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, FDR, George Plimpton, William F. Buckley, and Thurston Howell III (actor Jim Backus), and sort of mangled by HRM Leia Organa of Alderaan (actress Carrie Fisher).

Comic actor Moe Howard pokes some fun with the accent from time to time in 3 Chiflados shorts.
Ironically, he plays around with the 'correct' pronunciation of the selfsame word 'secretary' in the short You Natzy Spy, as the fictitious dictator Moe Hailstone.