Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by sangi39 » 10 Jan 2015 20:46

Xing wrote:Should we have any suggestions/guidelines against edit button misuse? I came to think about this when I read this post the conversation thread. It has happened once in a while that someone deletes all the content in his/her posts in one or more threads by replacing them with a smiley or something similar. It can make it more difficult to follow the threads.
My general thinking is that if, after a year, the thread, or that specific section of a thread hasn't been used or referred to, then editing to delete the content of a post should be fine. If it's something like the conversation threads, which go on for dozens, if not hundreds of pages, then I don't really see a problem with a similar set of rules being applied.

If it's editing for the sake of reformatting, and it doesn't really break the flow of the thread in general, then I don't see any harm in doing the same (I've redone the general formatting for my Proto-Sirdic thread so that I didn't have to start a new thread, and it only had a couple of posts from other users (typically as simple as "looks nice") so it saved on having near-duplicates of the same thread).

After that, I have no idea. Is it possible for mods to revert such edits?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 10 Jan 2015 22:47

I doubt it, not unless there's some phpBB mod installed here that saves old versions of posts. I've been a mod on a couple of phpBB boards and at least on the versions of phpBB we were running then, it wasn't possible.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 10 Jan 2015 22:56

alynnidalar wrote:I doubt it, not unless there's some phpBB mod installed here that saves old versions of posts. I've been a mod on a couple of phpBB boards and at least on the versions of phpBB we were running then, it wasn't possible.
So really you'd only be able to try and develop guidelines to either limit post deletion or to prevent it entirely really.

Would a formal request to be allowed to delete post content be worth thinking about?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 11 Jan 2015 07:14

My Image on the issue is this:

I've almost never seen an issue with it in which the cause wasn't someone rage-quitting or otherwise attempting to go ahead and completely alter the appearance of their comments in order to make themselves look less ridiculous or foolish. In both those cases, usually someone has quoted what they actually said and has thus made their attempt moot.

In cases where the above is NOT the case, it seems to be that the intent is merely to clarify or to earnestly improve the formatting or phrasing or somesuch. I don't see a need to limit edits. But, I also love to edit my posts like a dozen times to fix grammar or clarify after having read it a few times, etc.

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 11 Jan 2015 12:13

One case of large-scale post-deletion occurred in this thread in the Scandinavian section. I don't know the reason why the posts were deleted; I wasn't really paying much attention to the thread. It has happened at a few occasions in the English section too. I don't know know about the other language sections.

Perhaps many cases of frivolous post-deletion occur when the threads are about to turn into flamewars, and thus there would in any case be reasons for the mods tot take some action. Maybe it's mostly a personal annoyance for me - that I find it a rather stupid behaviour, and that you basically shouldn't post something if you can't stand for it later.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 11 Jan 2015 12:58

Xing wrote:Maybe it's mostly a personal annoyance for me —that I find it a rather stupid behaviour, and that you basically shouldn't post something if you can't stand for it later.
While I happen to agree... I don't know that there's a good way to discourage that behavior without also hampering the normal behavior of others.

Blanking posts through editing them is gonna happen as long as folks retain the ability to correct their own. Unless there is some tech in the forums that I don't know about to change that.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 09 Apr 2015 06:55

I have a question. Suppose I post a detailed post aboot how grammatical number works in Kankonian, with glosses for my sentences. Which banner rank would that earn me?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 60,137 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 09 Apr 2015 08:10

Probably none. The ranks generally require more than one post. Also they require a range of detail, not just a focus on one single aspect.

But in conjunction with other posts it would probably go towards the mind rank. I can't know till I read it.

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 15 May 2015 10:53

I have two questions:

- what does the MVP status do? I noticed some users have it and I don’t see any explanation of it anywhere
- what are standard ranks? is there a list of them anywhere? how do you earn them and why would you bother?

GrandPiano
runic
runic

Post by GrandPiano » 15 May 2015 13:47

:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 15 May 2015 14:13

Thanks. I don’t know how I missed that post. I feel silly now.

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 15 May 2015 14:27

MVP is just a special ranking that Aszev can award to people he thinks are cool posters. It gives no special privileges.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 16 May 2015 22:10

Micamo wrote:MVP is just a special ranking that Aszev can award to people he thinks are cool posters. It gives no special privileges.
thank you.

One last question. Can I nominate other people for ranks? E.g, I think elemtilas has shared so much of his World that he deserves the rank of Ice. Or does the user have to ask for a rank themselves?

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 17 May 2015 00:02

Anyone can recommend any other member.
You will have to provide links to any appropriate posts.

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 17 May 2015 00:06

Ossicone wrote:Anyone can recommend any other member.
You will have to provide links to any appropriate posts.
Basically this whole thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4585

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 17 May 2015 00:15

gestaltist wrote:
Micamo wrote:MVP is just a special ranking that Aszev can award to people he thinks are cool posters. It gives no special privileges.
thank you.

One last question. Can I nominate other people for ranks? E.g, I think elemtilas has shared so much of his World that he deserves the rank of Ice. Or does the user have to ask for a rank themselves?
Did you mean "Body", which is the conculture/conworld/conhistory/etc. "accomplishment" rank? "Ice" is for diachronic conlanging.

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 17 May 2015 00:16

shimobaatar wrote:
gestaltist wrote:
thank you.

Did you mean "Body", which is the conculture/conworld/conhistory/etc. "accomplishment" rank? "Ice" is for diachronic conlanging.
Yes I did! Sorry for the confusion.

Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » 17 May 2015 00:19

I'd be very surprised if my rank was for conworlding... :roll:

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 17 May 2015 07:20

Send me a PM with the stuff. (If not I'll forget.) Also keep in mind I have a slight backlog to work through.
What rank, for who, relevant thread.

cntrational
roman
roman

Post by cntrational » 01 Jun 2015 03:29

Micamo became an MVP?

'bout time.