Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Hālian » 13 Mar 2019 06:20

Whatever happened to tables? I see that they were implemented a while ago but that the markup involved no longer renders.
Image Safir Alliance (website under construction)
:ru-ta: Hoennese Realm

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 25 Mar 2019 00:19

Lambuzhao wrote:
10 Mar 2019 00:38
I prefer Monoceras, but pot/eɪ/to pot/æ/to…
[B)]
Isn't it "pot/eɪ/to, pot/ɑ/to"?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 60,137 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 15 Apr 2019 04:35

eldin raigmore wrote:
07 Mar 2019 03:19
I agree with what Linguistcat just said.
Indeed, I felt its lack just minutes ago.

(I mean I wanted a “like” button.)

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 04 May 2019 16:22

I'm going to miss the "special" ranks, not only because they've been an easy way to identify who wrote a post at a glance (especially for those of us who just can't figure out how to get a profile picture/avatar that's the right size), but because I thought it was a fun system that gave board members some interesting goals, if they wanted them. However, I can't deny the logic behind getting rid of them, so even though it'll take some getting used to, visually, I agree with and support this decision, for whatever that's worth. Hopefully a way can be found to get the system working again so they can be brought back some day, though.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 04 May 2019 17:02

shimobaatar wrote:
04 May 2019 16:22
I'm going to miss the "special" ranks, not only because they've been an easy way to identify who wrote a post at a glance (especially for those of us who just can't figure out how to get a profile picture/avatar that's the right size), but because I thought it was a fun system that gave board members some interesting goals, if they wanted them. However, I can't deny the logic behind getting rid of them, so even though it'll take some getting used to, visually, I agree with and support this decision, for whatever that's worth. Hopefully a way can be found to get the system working again so they can be brought back some day, though.
I'm guessing that "the system of awarding these ranks hadn't really been working for quite some time" really means "no one wanted to deal with them anymore". For a couple years, I made requests for special ranks, particularly on behalf of others, but never heard back and never saw any change in ranks. So I just figured the moderators were no longer into that. Or perhaps it was just the mods I asked... [:'(]

Me, I actually disagree with the decision to discontinue the ranks entirely. So long as the system works, they are fun, they do serve to recognise special merit, they also serve as goals new (and old) folks can aspire to. Some of the ranks were, perhaps, unattainable and others seemed to be duplicates. But for the most part, many ranks were (on paper) quite easy to obtain. A fairly large number of folks, at least in my estimation, were eligible and often for multiple ranks.

Rather than ditching them, I'd put in a vote for the creation of a new system (based on the old, perhaps, but maybe with a number of new ranks) and perhaps hire a moderator whose primary duty is handling that part of the system!

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 05 May 2019 00:06

As the person who was primarily in charge of the special ranks, I also enjoyed them a lot, but they took a while to review and award. (That is part of what made them special.) Getting a special rank meant that I had thoroughly read and responded to your conlang. At that time I had much more free time to do that sort of thing. Once I no longer had time to do this, there wasn't really anyone available who did.

So the ranks essentially became unattainable, which feels unfair to newer members. They were fun while they lasted, but could not be sustained.

Also, in regard to the like button: I could not find a suitable plugin for it that was still being maintained. You'll just have to live with typing out "I like this." or "Cool idea." or "I enjoyed reading your post." and then pushing submit.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 05 May 2019 02:32

Ossicone wrote:
05 May 2019 00:06
As the person who was primarily in charge of the special ranks, I also enjoyed them a lot, but they took a while to review and award. (That is part of what made them special.) Getting a special rank meant that I had thoroughly read and responded to your conlang. At that time I had much more free time to do that sort of thing. Once I no longer had time to do this, there wasn't really anyone available who did.

So the ranks essentially became unattainable, which feels unfair to newer members. They were fun while they lasted, but could not be sustained.

Also, in regard to the like button: I could not find a suitable plugin for it that was still being maintained. You'll just have to live with typing out "I like this." or "Cool idea." or "I enjoyed reading your post." and then pushing submit.
Too bad about the like button. The idea has grown on me somewhat.

As for the ranks, there are always possibilities. Some new blood to manage them might reinvigorate that aspect of the place. Clearly, it's not a one person job, even if that one person is yourself!

Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine » 13 May 2019 19:53

Have we ever considered adding an option to create polls? I wanted to ask the general community which path I should next take with my conlang, but I was dismayed to find that a simple poll feature does not exist on this board.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 14 May 2019 03:32

Ælfwine wrote:
13 May 2019 19:53
Have we ever considered adding an option to create polls? I wanted to ask the general community which path I should next take with my conlang, but I was dismayed to find that a simple poll feature does not exist on this board.
I’m sure this is not what you’re looking for, but the yay/nay thread could be used for that purpose.

Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » 14 May 2019 18:40

The board does have a poll feature, it's just never been enabled. My rationale behind this has been that a) polls are easily abused or turned into something annoying (like if you end up having lots of polls with dumb/simplistic/loaded questions), and b) polls don't really give any depth unless the people also reply in posts, in which case the poll isn't really needed to begin with.

But of course, maybe neither of this would be a problem. If people would appreciate being able to make polls, I'm not against reconsidering.
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 17 May 2019 21:10

Aszev wrote:
14 May 2019 18:40
The board does have a poll feature, it's just never been enabled. My rationale behind this has been that a) polls are easily abused or turned into something annoying (like if you end up having lots of polls with dumb/simplistic/loaded questions), and b) polls don't really give any depth unless the people also reply in posts, in which case the poll isn't really needed to begin with.

But of course, maybe neither of this would be a problem. If people would appreciate being able to make polls, I'm not against reconsidering.
I’m fine either way.

masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako » 25 May 2019 18:53

shimobaatar wrote:
04 May 2019 16:22

Omzinesý
runic
runic

Post by Omzinesý » 07 Jun 2019 15:00

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I started my current project in my Scrap Thread and Id like some moderator to move it to its own thread. It starts from the post Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:18 (at some time zone I havent checked).

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 07 Jun 2019 16:56

Omzinesý wrote:
07 Jun 2019 15:00
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I started my current project in my Scrap Thread and Id like some moderator to move it to its own thread. It starts from the post Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:18 (at some time zone I havent checked).
Done [:)] I haven't changed the title or anything (I think you can do that by editing the title of the first post?), but it's this thread
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Omzinesý
runic
runic

Post by Omzinesý » 08 Jun 2019 10:33

sangi39 wrote:
07 Jun 2019 16:56
Omzinesý wrote:
07 Jun 2019 15:00
Done [:)] I haven't changed the title or anything (I think you can do that by editing the title of the first post?), but it's this thread
Thank you!

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 26 Jul 2019 21:24

Several users (four so far) have reported PMs from a user called LolitaVek777, containing "XEvil can break ANY Captcha!..." and the like, which is obviously spam. The user has been banned, and I expect more users will make more reports, but just so people are aware, this instance has been dealt with. Just need to keep on top of any other users doing similar things.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 27 Jul 2019 07:03

You may want to ban any user with the substring *loli* in their screenname. They’re probably trying to rope in pedophiles.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 01 Aug 2019 06:56

eldin raigmore wrote:
27 Jul 2019 07:03
You may want to ban any user with the substring *loli* in their screenname. They’re probably trying to rope in pedophiles.
Unless the screenname is something like LOLingMyHeadOff182.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 60,137 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 01 Aug 2019 13:46

Khemehekis wrote:
01 Aug 2019 06:56
eldin raigmore wrote:
You’re right.
Maybe *lolita* then.

LinguistCat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by LinguistCat » 01 Aug 2019 15:35

eldin raigmore wrote:
01 Aug 2019 13:46
Khemehekis wrote:
01 Aug 2019 06:56
eldin raigmore wrote:
You’re right.
Maybe *lolita* then.
Gothic Lolita is also a thing and often gets shortened to Lolita (and has nothing to do with pedophiles/"lolicons"). But I don't know any legitimate reasons lolicon would be used, and for the other strings it could just be a "Lets keep an eye on it" deal.