Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Click
runic
runic

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by Click » 25 Nov 2013 19:17

Plusquamperfekt wrote:Hello people, I'm new here. Some of you might already know me from ZBB, Unilang or the Facebook group "conlangs" [:)]
Welcome. [B)]

Tomos
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Tomos » 11 Dec 2013 23:19

Hello, I'm Tomos, I might not be here a lot but I thought this seemed like a nice enough forum. I haven't got very far with conlangs, I've experimented with a mix of Japanese and Welsh[might seem like a strange choice to mix language families but they're the ones I have the most knowledge of] where I just mix every Japanese word with every Welsh word but it's a bit of a work in progress. I live in Cornwall so my only real chance of meeting different language speakers are at Lands End in the height of the tourist season.

Ones I can have a conversation in:
:jpn: [:)] Learnt since September 2007, I've always been a fan of tokusatsu and Digimon above all else so Japanese was always a foregone conclusion.
:cym: [:)] Learnt since Summer 2008, plus I have Welsh speaking family so I've started to practice with them. Cornish and Breton are easy enough for me to pick up.
:fra: [:S] Don't really learn any more but I can remember enough from school, I actually started learning Japanese because I didn't like the way French was taught!

I've also had Korean,Mandarin and Thai books for a long time and my most recent language-related purchase was an Okinawan dictionary in the summer but it's not really going in. I'm also hoping for an Ainu dictionary for Christmas because I read about what the Japanese did to the Ainu and because I'm into stateless nations I thought it would be a good language to learn. I can remember odd words of most languages, mainly European and Asian ones.
:eng: [tick]
:jpn: :cym: [B)]
:bre: :cor: [:)]
:kor: :fra: :ita: [:S]
:zho: :tha: [:(]
:ryu: [:'(]
:ain: Want to learn,no resources

ZedSed
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ZedSed » 27 Dec 2013 17:11

Hi I'm Zed. I'm from Australia but I have lived in Beijing for the past five years. My first language is English, and my Mandarin is about intermediate. I like 'experimental' conlangs, especially when they require a complete overhaul of my perceptions of how a language 'should' work. I also have a thing for natlangs/conlangs with a strong derivational system and a small set of roots* (ie. Navajo, Ithkuil, etc...)

* Why? I think it's the laziness of not wanting to study long lists of vocabulary. And I like the creativity of coining new words on the fly
bp dt ʣʦ ʤʧ ɖʈ ʥʨ ɟc gk ɢq ʡ ʔ
m ɱ n ɳ ɲ ŋ ɴ
βɸ vf ðθ zs ʒʃ ʐʂ ʑɕ ʝç ɣx ʁχ ʕħ ʢʜ ɦh
ʋ ɹ ɻ j ɰ ʙ r ʀ ѵ ɾ ɽ ɮɬ l ɭ ʎ ʟ ɺ
ʘ ǀ ǃ ǂ ǁ ɓ ɗ ʄ ɠ ʛ ʍ ɥ ɧ
i y ɨ ʉ ɯ u ɪ ʏ ʊ e ø ɘ ɵ ɤ o ə ɛ œ ɜ ɞ ʌ ɔ æ ɐ a ɶ ɑ ɒ

How do you transcribe a big wet smoochy-woochy?

Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » 27 Dec 2013 17:53

We've already established this fact, Zed, but your post here confirms it even more; we have lots of conlinguistic preferences in common!

Welcome!

ZedSed
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ZedSed » 27 Dec 2013 18:06

Thanks Skógvur! [xD]

If you ever do get Vanga developed enough to be able to teach it, please don't forget to let me know. I wanna sign up!
bp dt ʣʦ ʤʧ ɖʈ ʥʨ ɟc gk ɢq ʡ ʔ
m ɱ n ɳ ɲ ŋ ɴ
βɸ vf ðθ zs ʒʃ ʐʂ ʑɕ ʝç ɣx ʁχ ʕħ ʢʜ ɦh
ʋ ɹ ɻ j ɰ ʙ r ʀ ѵ ɾ ɽ ɮɬ l ɭ ʎ ʟ ɺ
ʘ ǀ ǃ ǂ ǁ ɓ ɗ ʄ ɠ ʛ ʍ ɥ ɧ
i y ɨ ʉ ɯ u ɪ ʏ ʊ e ø ɘ ɵ ɤ o ə ɛ œ ɜ ɞ ʌ ɔ æ ɐ a ɶ ɑ ɒ

How do you transcribe a big wet smoochy-woochy?

Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » 27 Dec 2013 20:15

ZedSed wrote:Thanks Skógvur! [xD]

If you ever do get Vanga developed enough to be able to teach it, please don't forget to let me know. I wanna sign up!
[<3] [<3] [<3]

moose
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by moose » 28 Dec 2013 00:55

Hello! I never formally introduced myself even though I joined a while ago.
Uhhhh... I'm an Aquarius and I like long walks on the beach. Grew up speaking a little German around the house but being from Minnesota, English is my native language. No one could ever call me a linguistics expert, but I dabble. Maybe one of my creations might make it up here one day. We'l just have to see. [:D]

Glossaphile
rupestrian
rupestrian

Self-Introduction

Post by Glossaphile » 28 Dec 2013 09:12

Greetings! My name is Greg, and I'm a graduate student in linguistics at the University of Florida. I have a B.A. in Spanish and a solid foundational knowledge of French, Italian, Latin, German, and classical Greek. As a self-educational hobby, I often translate/adapt song lyrics from one language to another. I mostly work in the English-to-foreign direction, since this affords me with greater opportunity to exercise and expand my command of the target language(s), but I have been known to take the occasional foreign song into English. It's always a rewarding challenge, because one has to strike a delicate balance between fidelity to the original meaning and compatibility with the original rhythm/melody. Most of my work can be explored on my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/TranslatorCarminum/.

I am also no stranger to conlanging and conworlding, having been steadily developing the background mythology for an epic fantasy novel for several years now. This includes a fictional Romance language, Brujeric, spoken by a race of mages descended from Atlantean survivors who washed up on the shores of pre-classical Greece.

For the past couple of years, I have also been active in the cause of English spelling reform, having contributed to the considerable pool of proposed orthographic systems. I spend alot of time debating with fellow reform advocates as to just how English should be spelled and how reform should be implemented.

If you're at all curious either about the Brujeric world or my experiments in alternative English orthography, I will shortly be posting specific threads about them!

Prinsessa
runic
runic

Re: Self-Introduction

Post by Prinsessa » 28 Dec 2013 10:27

Awesome! Your channel had me singing along with Latin Aladdin before I realised that the vocals in the video were actually in Latin too (I started by looking at a video that was only subbed, but not dubbed, so I just expected this one to be as well, before I noticed)! Too bad the sound quality of the clip was so bad, because the singing was pretty good. [:(]

I believe you're not the only one here who's working on an Atlantean language with some connections to Greek, or Greeks, actually. [:D]

We have a public introduction thread for everyone, though, so this thread will probably be merged with that as soon as a moderator see this, just so you don't get confused when your message seemingly disappears!

Click
runic
runic

Post by Click » 28 Dec 2013 15:50

Welcome!

Valosken
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Valosken » 28 Dec 2013 19:32

I'm looking forward to that Romance language.
First, I learned English.
Dann lernte ich Deutsch.
Y ahora aprendo Español.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 28 Dec 2013 20:43

Valosken wrote:I'm looking forward to that Romance language.
[+1] Me too. It's fun to read only the conlang part of a message and already understanding quite a bit.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

atman
greek
greek

Post by atman » 29 Dec 2013 18:22

Skógvur wrote:I believe you're not the only one here who's working on an Atlantean language with some connections to Greek, or Greeks, actually.
Indeed he isn't [;)] . And I think there's still a lot to do before my Atlántiqa can be considered a reasonably complete and well-documented language.
Glossaphile wrote:As a self-educational hobby, I often translate/adapt song lyrics from one language to another. I mostly work in the English-to-foreign direction, since this affords me with greater opportunity to exercise and expand my command of the target language(s), but I have been known to take the occasional foreign song into English. It's always a rewarding challenge, because one has to strike a delicate balance between fidelity to the original meaning and compatibility with the original rhythm/melody. Most of my work can be explored on my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/TranslatorCarminum/.
Translating songs is an excellent exercise (and something I should do more often myself).
Glossaphile wrote:This includes a fictional Romance language, Brujeric, spoken by a race of mages descended from Atlantean survivors who washed up on the shores of pre-classical Greece.
Well, it looks like Brujeric and Atlántiqa form a nice couple of polar opposites. Paraphrasing your sentence above, Atlántiqa is spoken by a (strictly free of magic or other fantastic elements) people descended from pre-classical Greeks who washed up on/migrated to/colonized the islands we know as the Azores, Madeira, the Canaries...
Երկնէր երկին, երկնէր երկիր, երկնէր և ծովն ծիրանի.

Argyraella
rupestrian
rupestrian

A silver wind comes in!

Post by Argyraella » 11 Jan 2014 06:31

Greetings, everyone!

Like many others I learn other languages so that I can interact with those who speak such languages and understand their cultures and for a long time I have known about the concept of conlangs but for much of the past the concept didn't make sense to me because I had no incentive to learn a 'language' that almost no one speaks except possibly the creator, and what I found even more bizarre is that some conlang creators possibly don't even speak their inventions!

I've tried to invent a language a few times before but never got far and I still can not easily explain why ·· though I will admit that I probably did not have a good understanding of the concept so I thought if I join these message boards I can interact with some 'conlangers' to better understand their processes of thought and ideas. What do you all think?
⚧♥♀
ἀργυρ~ἄελλα
silver~whirlwind

Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka » 11 Jan 2014 06:35

Tomos wrote:I'm also hoping for an Ainu dictionary for Christmas because I read about what the Japanese did to the Ainu and because I'm into stateless nations I thought it would be a good language to learn.
Have you seen the translated Unilang Ainu course?

Tomos
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Tomos » 11 Jan 2014 14:03

No I didn't see that, thank you very much!
:eng: [tick]
:jpn: :cym: [B)]
:bre: :cor: [:)]
:kor: :fra: :ita: [:S]
:zho: :tha: [:(]
:ryu: [:'(]
:ain: Want to learn,no resources

thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha » 11 Jan 2014 22:22

Welcome, Argy! I think that's a fine idea. We have plenty of places on the forum for real languages too!

Thakowsaizmu
mongolian
mongolian

Re: A silver wind comes in!

Post by Thakowsaizmu » 14 Jan 2014 04:36

Argyraella wrote:Greetings, everyone!
Hi Argyraella!

hak yau
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by hak yau » 19 Jan 2014 15:14

Hello, i am a newbie in this stuff, you can call me Entun, i do not understnd lnguistics very well, so you maybe find my conlang is too simplistic, i am glad to be helped :)

Best Regards