Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by elemtilas » 27 May 2015 21:51

Aqua wrote:Hi, I'm Aqua and I'm new here.
Welcome!
I started conlanging/world building while I was still in school, but it never went beyond the "toying around with this idea" phase and some substitution alphabets. Recently though I've been getting more and more into it and it makes me sad that all my ideas never amounted to anything.
Don't even fret over that! There is never any time better than the present to get some of those ideas worked on, so just jump right on in to the deep end and enjoy the water!
So I've started developing with a bit more of a goal in mind and I figured it might be nicer and more fun if I had a community to talk to :)
Yes, there is a very great positive aspect to having a community around for asking questions, bouncing ideas around and, once things start taking shape, showing off a bit!

Aqua
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Aqua » 27 May 2015 22:07

Thanks for the welcome, elemtilas :D

salpfish
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by salpfish » 03 Jul 2015 16:02

Beginning the possible migration from Reddit... :S

I'm salpfish, been conlanging for nearly two years. I'm a native speaker of Finnish and English, and I'd say I'm moderately proficient in Spanish, Japanese, and Viossa—a side conlanging project slash linguistics experiment I worked on with some friends on the conlanging subreddit Skype group.

Now, due to a couple of recent shitstorms that you probably don't care about, a bunch of subreddits have ended up closing down, /r/conlangs among them. And I've poked around here a bit before and heard good things, so I decided to do something I've been meaning to for a long time and signed up over here! There'll probably be some others as well, considering the subreddit had upwards of 7,000 subscribers, I think? Obviously not that many people will suddenly sign up here, but still, it'll probably be a few. Hopefully that's not a problem, I do know your community is a little more "serious" so that may take a little time for some to adjust to.

But regardless, it's nice to meet you all!
[6:23:38 PM] Salpfish: so the /m/ is slightly [b]ified

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 03 Jul 2015 16:49

salpfish wrote:Beginning the possible migration from Reddit... [:S] ... But regardless, it's nice to meet you all!
Welcome! I only just joined up relatively recently (I guess last November or so) and having been unchurched for some time. Was on Conlang for many years, and still read the List via the Archive, but haven't been active there in ages. I like the happy combination of conlanging and conculturing here; and of course folks here are quite nice I've found. Sorry about the shitstorms at Reddit -- those sort of things happen in any online community -- hopefully you'll find the community here a little more amenable!

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 03 Jul 2015 16:53

[+1] Welcome to the board! I'm sorry to hear they just closed it down like that, but I hope things will work out for you and the other reddit conlangers.

Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » 03 Jul 2015 17:15

Hello there. I'm Adarain, better known to many by my real name, Sascha. I'm from Switzerland, native speaker of the Swiss German dialect spoken around Chur. Fluent in Standard German and English. Additionally, I'm conversational in Brazilian Portuguese and Viossa (see also Salpfish's intro post further above), and I'm learning Vallader (a dialect of Romansh).

I have thus far never created a conlang to a point where it's worth showcasing, though I am working on a few:
  • Nankhuelo is a conlang inspired by everything I can find about amazonian languages. It's, however, a priori and embedded into a very incomplete conworld
  • I am also working on a germanic auxlang as a achool project. You will hear about this in the German section of.the forum once it's complete enough that I want to gather criticisms.
  • Additionally, I am participating in a little group-project of creating a conworld and a language and then evolving it into various daughter-languages. You will definitely
    hear about this one at some point. I hope you like to reconstruct things >:D
  • And then there is Viossa, a pidgin we created over skype by not speaking english and trying to understand each other. It's mostly a Germanic/Japanese crossover with a bunch of other influences and some interesting oddities. Viossa is, as of now, classified though. You will hear more about it around christmas.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 03 Jul 2015 17:21

Hello, Adarain, and welcome to the CBB!

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 03 Jul 2015 17:42

Welcome/Willkommen!
Adarain wrote:learning Vallader (a dialect of Romansh)
Oh, very good!
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » 03 Jul 2015 18:13

Good in what way? I assume you’re referring to me learning a minority language, but I’d like some clarification :)
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.

Gwaur
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Gwaur » 03 Jul 2015 18:22

Hi thaar. I'm on the same boat as Salpfish a few replies ago. Although I'm definitely not going to leave /r/conlangs this easily, I still like a forum that stays open (hopefully) all the time.

So, here I'm gonna answer most of the questions proposed in the original post, but not in a list, but a paragraph or two.

So, my common username all over the Internets is Gwaur, but I also occasionally use my anglicized name which is Paul J. Morton. It's not a hiding name or anything, it's just in case someone can't yacks to learn my real name which is Pauli J. Marttinen.

I'm Finnish, and so speak Finnish natively, and English fluently, and Viossa (an online pidgin) quite proficiently. I also have substantial knowledge of Swedish and Japanese. I'd like to learn Hungarian by hanging around a Hungarian IRC channel, but I haven't found one that's not dead yet.

I've done quite a few more or less developed conlangs, but my current non-abandoned conlangs are Zoģaŋ (fusional erg-abs), Amrangean (aggl. nom-acc), and Viossa (a pidgin I and a bunch created over Skype video calls without using a shared language). Here's some more information, though not much.

I live in Tampere, Finland, where I'm studying for bachelor's in classical music composition. So, you can probably guess, I'm into all music theory and history thingies, and I enjoy listening to classical music (favourite composers include Liszt and Sibelius). Other types I enjoy are epic orchestral film and game music (think Shore (LoTR) and Hisaishi (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away), not Zimmer (eww)). Also certain forms of techno, rock/metal and jazz/funk are really to my liking. I also easily get hooked on my own tracks.

Two more types that always break my heart are lamenting folk songs and lamenting Renaissance chorales, both of which I have collected into playlists just for occasions like this.

Interests besides linguistics and music are programming, fantasy and science-fiction. The Silmarillion is my definite favourite book ever, and Star Trek TNG my favourite show ever. Hobbies besides conlanging include YouTubing, video games (favs include Super Mario World and Half-Life), writing, conworlding (creating a universe with both a fantasy and a scifi side, linked to our real universe). The only physical activity is swimming and pragmatic biking. Politically I'm quite left and liberal-leaning.

In ten years I'll hopefully be a successful film and/or game and/or concert composer, or living off a big lottery win.

Plugs: YouTube channel, Soundcloud page, Twitter page, Instagram page.
Last edited by Gwaur on 03 Jul 2015 19:13, edited 2 times in total.
[12:27:39 AM] Jaceb: hello fellow Germanic *brōþēr
[12:28:01 AM] Gwaur: I still identify as uralic!
[12:28:09 AM] Gwaur: my pronoun is hän!

My Language Stuff in one page

ieuan
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by ieuan » 03 Jul 2015 18:22

Following on from Salpfish and Adarain, I'm another reddit migrator.

I'm Ieuan, I got into conlanging about two months ago and after lots of sketches I currently have two main langs I'm working on, known as Endál and Aninterite (probably a temp. name). Both are priori but the latter is somewhat Welsh based. I'm also learning Viossa, which has been mentioned above.
In terms of natlangs, I'm a monolingual English speaker with a small skill in Spanish, from High School. I'm planning on learning Welsh.
Outside of languages, I also like to play rugby and 5-a-side football, and read about Maths and History.
Last edited by ieuan on 03 Jul 2015 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 03 Jul 2015 18:36

Adarain wrote:Good in what way? I assume you’re referring to me learning a minority language, but I’d like some clarification :)
I haven't seen anybody speaking any Romansh variety here - I'm a bit worried about the survival of minority Romance languages, so it's a good thing that you learn it! [:D]
Spoiler:
Und hier gibt es auch einen eigenen Forum-Teil für Deutsch-Sprecher, hast du den schon gesehen?
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.

Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » 03 Jul 2015 20:01

Yes, I’ve seen the German area. Btw, are you the guy who talked about Romlangs at the LCC? If so, we’ve already met, we quickly talked about the awesomeness of the Romansh word s-charpa :P
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.

plathhs
sinic
sinic

Post by plathhs » 03 Jul 2015 20:37

ieuan wrote:… I'm a monolingual Welsh speaker … I'm planning on learning Welsh.
Croeso i CBB! But wait … I suppose that first ‘Welsh’ was supposed to be ‘English’, given the language you wrote in?

ieuan
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by ieuan » 03 Jul 2015 20:57

plathhs wrote:
ieuan wrote:… I'm a monolingual Welsh speaker … I'm planning on learning Welsh.
Croeso i CBB! But wait … I suppose that first ‘Welsh’ was supposed to be ‘English’, given the language you wrote in?

...that's what I get for writing my intro on my phone. Diolch! :P

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 03 Jul 2015 21:35

Adarain wrote:Yes, I’ve seen the German area. Btw, are you the guy who talked about Romlangs at the LCC? If so, we’ve already met, we quickly talked about the awesomeness of the Romansh word s-charpa :P
Sorry, I wasn't even at the LCC. But I also have romlangs - and one is developed just well enough for sporadic use.

bur_sangjun
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by bur_sangjun » 06 Jul 2015 12:52

Hello, I'm bur_sangjun, more commonly known as Sam, from the UK. I'm also on the boat out of Reddit, though as one of the moderators there I'm responsible for shutting it down as part of the shitstorm, not worth going into the reasons behind it, anyway, coming here as Reddit appears to be slowly dying off now, not our community, but the site as a whole.

Anyway, the only Conlang I'm remotely known for is "Vahn", an Oligomorphemic (Oligosynthetic is such a terrible word) language based off of 37 primitive morphemes. It has one other speaker other than myself (named Arthur), and is designed to be more naturalistic than a lot of Oligo's (aUI, Toki Pona).
:uk: L1 English
:con: C1 Vahn
:nld: B1 Dutch
:zho: A2 Chinese
:kor: A2 Korean
:tur: A1 Turkish

Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » 06 Jul 2015 13:50

Why hello there, par/sam/. I thought you were on the /siː biː biː/, not the /siː biː biː/ :P
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.

Isoraqathedh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Isoraqathedh » 09 Jul 2015 09:26

Hi, finally got the required courage to start posting here. People tend to truncate my username from the left to three to six characters. I have about fourteen languages under my belt, and speak about a sixth as many languages. I wrote most of my notes in an increasingly top-heavy pile of notebooks. To date there are about sixteen of them.

The only problem is, I don't actually know how to show you these things short of just giving you the scans themselves.

Otherwise, I think I would do well here.
Conlangs: EP (EV EB) Yk HI Ag Cd GE Rs, Ct, EQ, SX Sk Ya (OF), Ub, AKF MGY, (RDWA BCMS)
Natural languages: zh-hk, zh-cn, en

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 09 Jul 2015 20:13

Hi, Isoraqathedh, welcome to the board! [:D]