National Anthems

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: National Anthems

Post by Shemtov » 23 Dec 2018 01:44

I like :fra: 's anthem but one thing concerns me: Given that depending on what historian you ask, Vichy France was either a "Puppet of the Nazis in disguise" or "had high-level collaborators", how they kept the reference to "sang impur" in the lyrics after the war?
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien

Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio » 25 Dec 2018 23:38

Presumably, people after WWII (and/or before WWII) didn't understand "sang impur" as having a racial meaning. Apparently there's a common, but ahistorical, interpretation of the lyric taking "sang impur" to be the opposite of "blue blood," so people understand the line to mean, roughly, "Let the blood of low-born Republicans water our fields." Perhaps there are older popular interpretations of the line.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad

Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov » 27 Dec 2018 01:52

Clio wrote:
25 Dec 2018 23:38
Presumably, people after WWII (and/or before WWII) didn't understand "sang impur" as having a racial meaning. Apparently there's a common, but ahistorical, interpretation of the lyric taking "sang impur" to be the opposite of "blue blood," so people understand the line to mean, roughly, "Let the blood of low-born Republicans water our fields." Perhaps there are older popular interpretations of the line.
Yeah, after posting that question to some French people on another forum, they acted like I was nuts. They didn't even understand the idea that the term could be retroactively considered "tainted" like the Swastika. I could argue that given the semantics "Impure blood" is not the best term to translate "Sang Impur", perhaps "Despised Blood" would work better as a translation for Anglophones.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien