Conversation Thread of the 3rd SPAM!

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: Conversation Thread of the 3rd SPAM!

Post by Lambuzhao » 06 Oct 2013 15:44

Fleur wrote:The Hong Kong Flag is so sexy! [:O]
Spoiler:
[+1]

It reminds me of sexyfolk like Linda Carter as Wonderwoman
Spoiler:
(Prolly too cheesy for anyone's good to youtube it; kind of "you had to be there" sorta thing us 70's folks are always pulling)
, Star from 一二功夫 (ancient videogame of yesteryear), plus The Bride from Kill Bill. Seventies action-stars + deadly pointsettia~shuriken of death + red = So, yeah, pretty sexy.

cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Post by cybrxkhan » 06 Oct 2013 18:58

I hate it when I get an interesting conworld or creative writing idea then I forget it the next day.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce

Shrdlu
greek
greek

Post by Shrdlu » 06 Oct 2013 19:10

cybrxkhan wrote:I hate it when I get an interesting conworld or creative writing idea then I forget it the next day.
Sounds like what happens to me every other night.
I kill threads!

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 06 Oct 2013 19:15

cybrxkhan wrote:I hate it when I get an interesting conworld or creative writing idea then I forget it the next day.
I know that feeling, especially when the idea is a picture flashing before my eye (or a melody) and five minutes later, it's gone... :mrred:
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » 06 Oct 2013 19:19

Click wrote:Gah, I have to interpret and analyse three poems, explain why they are thematically related and write a comparative essay about all three of them. [>:O] [D;]
The worst thing is that the teacher didn't teach my class how to write such an essay. Time to write educated-looking meaningless bullshit.
It's worse when you're fifteen. (How well I remember! How I wish I don't!)

It's still not all that great in college, though.

For instance, having to write about the "national character" of some country, as revealed in their literature, when as far as you can tell the literature reveals nothing except some good stories; and in some cases the countries in question either no longer exist, or didn't exist at the time the literature was written.

Or, having to come up with something new and original to say about the Visigothic empire in Spain of late-antiquity and early-medieval times, and then defend it with facts and logic. Hell, it was all over with so long ago that practically anything that could be said about it has been said; to come up with something original you'd just have to manufacture some bullshit that might as well be out of your own ass, something you don't even believe yourself, much less are able to find any evidence or logic for.

If you ever go to graduate school you can breathe a sigh of relief; almost anything you have to study or write about is something you're interested in yourself.
There remains one difficulty; picking the topic for your masters' thesis or doctors' dissertation.
You may pick something you're interested in only to find you can't think of anything to say about it.
Or, if you can't pick a topic, your advisor may kindly pick one for you; and you may then find you're bored to tears by it, and/or find it a mystery why anyone would be interested.

Of course, once you do pick a topic and finish your thesis or dissertation, a conversation like this will probably occur:
You: "Doktorvaterin, how many people are actually going to be interested in reading this?"
Your doktorvaterin: "Oh, lots!"
You: "How many is 'lots', exactly?"
She: "Oh, four or five!" (said with great excitement).

Fortunately that's no obstacle to having it accepted by the committee.

Click
darkness
darkness

Post by Click » 06 Oct 2013 20:04

eldin raigmore wrote:
Click wrote:Gah, I have to interpret and analyse three poems, explain why they are thematically related and write a comparative essay about all three of them. [>:O] [D;]
The worst thing is that the teacher didn't teach my class how to write such an essay. Time to write educated-looking meaningless bullshit.
It's worse when you're fifteen. (How well I remember! How I wish I don't!)

It's still not all that great in college, though.
Yeah, it's horrible. I've done quite a lot so far, and I only have one poem and the essay left. I'll be done in about a hour.
On a somewhat related note, I'd really like if I could ever write as quickly as I think. It'd save me a lot of time.
Edit: Finished at 21:52 per CET. Finally done and feeling pain in fingers after writing twelve pages of stuff I hate. Celebrate and feed me dark chocolate.

thetha
darkness
darkness

Post by thetha » 06 Oct 2013 23:33

Nothing is more infuriating than wanting to look something up then forgetting what it was by the time I get out my phone/laptop.

ol bofosh
roman
roman
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh » 07 Oct 2013 12:28

Meanwhile, in Spain, the zit-sit-seat-shit-sheat merger was taking hold:
¡O sit! Cover mi wid a sit; ai haf a sit on mai feis! Ai haf tu fain a sit and sit daun.

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 07 Oct 2013 16:24

Micamo wrote:
Chagen wrote:God dammit Micamo. This Tlingit PDF is too interesting. Urge to actually work on Ngith rising...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfiTebewnc
I legitmately have no idea if you're mocking me or...something

Seriously Micamo you are one of the most inscrutable people I have ever met.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 07 Oct 2013 17:59

Chagen wrote:I legitmately have no idea if you're mocking me or...something

Seriously Micamo you are one of the most inscrutable people I have ever met.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqUAD-FOJgY

Really though you should work on Ngith.
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 07 Oct 2013 18:30

Oh

Oh yeah that. Doing it, gotta get the phonology finished though.

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 07 Oct 2013 18:51

Isn't this a most delightful thing?
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter

Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » 07 Oct 2013 19:32

I have a tiny amout of basic verbal morphology now:

gwexiingeettakk'e?
surely-ANTIBEN-NEG-speak-2S-1PL.EXCL
Surely you're not speaking against us?

...But this is new ground and I honestly have no clue what I'm doing >_>

Click
darkness
darkness

Post by Click » 07 Oct 2013 20:59

Todótka.
[tʰɔˈθoːˀkɐ]
tʸ-aᵛ-dót-ø-kˤ-a›ø
INFER-EMPH-speak-PRS-MAL-1s3s
I'm sure they're not speaking against us.

cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Post by cybrxkhan » 07 Oct 2013 21:03

I'm supposed to be paying attention in an earth system science class since it's very relevant to conworlding, but I'm not.

- Ambrose Bierce

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 07 Oct 2013 21:26

Would anybody of you want to live in his conworld (if you had one)?
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 07 Oct 2013 21:32

cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Post by cybrxkhan » 07 Oct 2013 21:32

Egerius wrote:Would anybody of you want to live in his conworld (if you had one)?
I suspect this would be more likely for those of us who have conworlds based on our personal ideological, political, cultural, etc. ideals.

As for me, I guess I wouldn't mind living in a few of the societies of my conworld - at least towards their more "modern" times.

- Ambrose Bierce

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » 07 Oct 2013 22:11

Egerius wrote:Would anybody of you want to live in his conworld (if you had one)?
Yes and no.

cybrxkhan wrote:I suspect this would be more likely for those of us who have conworlds based on our personal ideological, political, cultural, etc. ideals.
As for me, I guess I wouldn't mind living in a few of the societies of my conworld - at least towards their more "modern" times.
My Adpihi are religious, and that would be the only fly in the ointment for living among them in their more "modern" times.

For Reptigan (their successor culture), I (and other atheists) would be better tolerated, though we'd have to put up with the fact that a lot of religious people around us were also tolerated. It's my opinion that given that Adpihi tolerated religious diversity -- it wasn't that they didn't tolerate the non-religious, it was rather that they didn't know what to make of them -- the religious people in and around Reptigan would be easier to get along with than some real-world religious are.

But, even more in Reptigan than in Adpihi, I don't know what kind of job I could get.

[hr][/hr]
Click wrote:Yeah, it's horrible. I've done quite a lot so far, and I only have one poem and the essay left. I'll be done in about a hour.
On a somewhat related note, I'd really like if I could ever write as quickly as I think. It'd save me a lot of time.
I like narrative poetry.
That includes Homer and Virgil and Rudyard Kipling.
Naturally I never read or heard Homer or Virgil in their native vernaculars; but I had practically memorized "Gunga Din", from hearing it, before I ever read it.

I permanently lost all respect for poetry-critics and poetry-teachers and criticism-teachers and authors of their textbooks when I took a class in college in which the poem whose first verse is
Long long ago when the world was a wild place
Planted with bushes and peopled by apes, our
Mission Brigade was at work in the jungle
Hard by the Congo
(and whose title may be "Bedtime Story" and whose author may be "George Mann MacBeth")
was presented as an example of a bad poem.
(My favorite line in that poem is "Unsheathing his sting was an instinct". (or was it "... reflex"?))
It can be found on page 19 in this PDF.

For the life of me I couldn't and still can't figure out any reason the textbook-editor and the instructor were against that poem except that it was science-fiction.

I know someone else will feel differently, and I know that I'll have a hard time supporting my own feelings by means of logic; but it's now my opinion that most mainstream fiction isn't worth reading unless you can't find anything else to read, and most mainstream literary criticism is worse than that; it's incomprehensible and unsupportable drivel about something that's not really worth talking about in the first place.
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 07 Oct 2013 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 08 Oct 2013 01:42

poetry-critics and poetry-teachers and criticism-teachers and authors of their textbooks
Regarding Classical studies ( :grc: , :lat: ), when Philology bowed its snowy head to the scimitar of
postmodern Lit-Crit; "those were dark times, indeed, the days of the Empire". The Sith had definitely taken over by then.
Would anybody of you want to live in his conworld (if you had one)?
The thought has romantically crossed my mind many a time. To bound on a snipey hassayampa through the smeuse, across the sward and down the wabe...why not?! Yet, I will paraphrase Peter Ustinov on discussing in an interview whether or not he'd want to live back in Ancient Roman Times:

"It's all well and good until you get a tooth-ache, isn't it? Where would you go? who would treat you?"

Technically, my conworld began a few thousand years ahead of our time, out of the ashes of (1980's) post-nuclear annihilation. Technically "now" in my conworld is eons ahead in time then when I generally (classically, romantically) think of it. So it's probably closer to the somewhere in the middle of the timeline in Asimov's "The Last Question". So toothaches would not be a problem anymore.