What are you listening to/watching?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Re: What are you listening to/watching?

Post by Lao Kou » 01 Jul 2018 10:48

shimobaatar wrote:
30 Jun 2018 21:24
I'm afraid I don't follow any of your last 4 posts, Lao Kou.
Apologies. And I should have consolidated. The program I was watching was on TV5 Monde, a French channel (for me, *the only* channel). I'll loosely translate it as "After Hours" There is meant to be a provocative portion with a politician, where the grilling is moderated by the emcee to keep it relatively civil. But when even the emcee loses control of himself, what are you supposed to do?

(Im)migration (among others) is a complex issue that I certainly don't have the answer to (perhaps Sal does [;)] ). But for to it degenerate into a "Hitler knew what to do" narrative is baffling and infuriating, I'm still infuriated.

Never again? It's knocking at the door! Someone voted for this.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 02 Jul 2018 13:43

Lao Kou wrote:
30 Jun 2018 20:18
Lao Kou wrote:
30 Jun 2018 20:13
I know it's very NCNC to do this here, but I'm watching a TV5 Monde program, and watching even the host lose it.
Someone voted for this point of view.
¡Calma, calma; que no panda el cúnico!
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
{somewhat loose trans.}

Have a chamomile tea, Bubbele.
[:$]

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 03 Jul 2018 02:12

I have been watching frankly ludicrous amounts of Mystery Science Theater 3000 lately. Which wouldn't be such a problem if I didn't keep staying up until midnight doing it! The episodes are just so long... and sometimes the movies are so aggressively terrible I have to take longer breaks than the host segments allow.

However, I'm watching a whole lot of new ones I've never seen before! I've watched all the really famous ones--you know, Manos, Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, The Final Sacrifice--but now I'm getting into some really special lesser-known ones. My most recent watch was The Wild Wild World of Batwoman, which is hysterical. The movie is completely incoherent, but the riffing is top-notch, and the host segments about the "Cheating" short are gloriously violent. ("Gypsy, he stole from your essay." "Really? FRY HIM! FRY HIM! I WANT HIS FAMILY DEAD!!!")

(If it gives you any perspective on how much MST3K I've been watching, I'm also writing a novelization/rewrite of The Touch of Satan for Camp NaNoWriMo. I liked that movie! I think it could have been kind of okay if you cut out all the awkward pauses and mentions of walnut ranches!)

Anyway, I've decided to start watching episodes in order, rather than at random, so next up is Alien from LA. Should be... interesting.

(and for those poor souls who are unfamiliar with MST3K, it's the origins of RiffTrax. A guy and his robot pals are forced to watch terrible movies by evil scientists. They make amusing commentary on them for viewers at home. If you'd like to give it a go, Space Mutiny is an excellent choice)

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 06 Jul 2018 15:08

Lambuzhao wrote:
02 Jul 2018 13:43
Lao Kou wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:
I know it's very NCNC to do this here, but I'm watching a TV5 Monde program, and watching even the host lose it.

Promises of a future appearance by Angélique Kidjo (Diiiiiiiiiiivaaaaaaaaa!) helped abate the ire. Still, if that politician knows what's good for him, he'll steer clear of me, because I will turn him into a toad, and we all know I can [}:D] .

道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 09 Jul 2018 03:08

Modern version of an Estonian folk song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHZce1TCa8

Bizarre, but I love the sound of the Estonian language [:)]
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » 10 Jul 2018 01:46

Celtic folk music from the Isle of Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKC43U1xQMw

I'm thinking of writing lyrics to this song in Mannish or something.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 15 Jul 2018 13:45

Nitrome - Twin Shot 2 (Walkthrough)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l-V8SbN0Fs

For no other reason than to listen to the complete soundtrack, with the fun tinny sound effects sprinkled in.

My son loved this game to the death, and for me, it epitomizes what he calls "life happening" music.

I can now successfully get my Graham Haley on and begin my Summer cleaning! :roll:
[:P]

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 15 Jul 2018 13:46

Ælfwine wrote:
10 Jul 2018 01:46
Celtic folk music from the Isle of Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKC43U1xQMw

I'm thinking of writing lyrics to this song in Mannish or something.
AYE! Got to, Friend of Elves!
[:D]

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 15 Jul 2018 13:55

Lao Kou wrote:
06 Jul 2018 15:08
Lambuzhao wrote:
02 Jul 2018 13:43
Lao Kou wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:

Promises of a future appearance by Angélique Kidjo (Diiiiiiiiiiivaaaaaaaaa!) helped abate the ire. Still, if that politician knows what's good for him, he'll steer clear of me, because I will turn him into a toad, and we all know I can [}:D] .

Why just a toad? Back in time would be better. [>:)]
Here, I've one for you (paraphrasing) :

Winds blow and stars turn round,

Into the past with the speed of sound,

Take these idiots to the time and place,

Back to the scene of Salem's disgrace

Let 'em have some some good old Puritanical fun! [}:D]
That'll learn 'em!!!

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 15 Jul 2018 14:08

alynnidalar wrote:
03 Jul 2018 02:12
I have been watching frankly ludicrous amounts of Mystery Science Theater 3000 lately. Which wouldn't be such a problem if I didn't keep staying up until midnight doing it! The episodes are just so long... and sometimes the movies are so aggressively terrible I have to take longer breaks than the host segments allow.

However, I'm watching a whole lot of new ones I've never seen before! I've watched all the really famous ones--you know, Manos, Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, The Final Sacrifice--but now I'm getting into some really special lesser-known ones. My most recent watch was The Wild Wild World of Batwoman, which is hysterical. The movie is completely incoherent, but the riffing is top-notch, and the host segments about the "Cheating" short are gloriously violent. ("Gypsy, he stole from your essay." "Really? FRY HIM! FRY HIM! I WANT HIS FAMILY DEAD!!!")

(If it gives you any perspective on how much MST3K I've been watching, I'm also writing a novelization/rewrite of The Touch of Satan for Camp NaNoWriMo. I liked that movie! I think it could have been kind of okay if you cut out all the awkward pauses and mentions of walnut ranches!)

Anyway, I've decided to start watching episodes in order, rather than at random, so next up is Alien from LA. Should be... interesting.

(and for those poor souls who are unfamiliar with MST3K, it's the origins of RiffTrax. A guy and his robot pals are forced to watch terrible movies by evil scientists. They make amusing commentary on them for viewers at home. If you'd like to give it a go, Space Mutiny is an excellent choice)
I was quite baptized with fire regarding MST3k. My college buddies invited me down for a weekend to the Shore, and we languished in the Sun drinking all manner of gutrot beverages and mounching Uncle Oogie's pizza, garlic knots etc., and then, all night long, we watched MST3k and the original Ren & Stimpy (seasons 1 & 2) episodes harvested via VHS, in all its gritty glory. I wanted to see more of the Japanese version of the Planet of the Apes ¿Saru no Gundan?, being a POTA nut and a fan of horrific old kaiju-tv series like Johnny Sokko and Ultraman. Youtube would help scratch that itch years later.

I think the only way to see MST3k is as some kind of 'death-race' endurance marathon. I recommend a Ren and Stimpy short here and there (nothing past season 2, though, IMHO. If you wade into season 3 or beyond, yer on yer own, kid! ) , to help decompress but keep the WTF levels high. [;)]

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 15 Jul 2018 20:45

In English it's translated "Time of the Apes"
Here's the whole hour and a half episode -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whTivrZJu1E

BTW: «I don't care!»
[:P]

lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd » 20 Jul 2018 20:49

LORN - ANVIL
try an other world...
without the need for technology...
conlang...

lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd » 20 Jul 2018 21:00

Kai Tangata
Electric Maori...

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 28 Jul 2018 23:15

I've been re-watching the first season of Person of Interest. My framework for doing this has been: which episodes should people really watch?

I'm somewhat frustrated to discover, the answer is: all of them. Of the 23 episodes, I'd recommend watching at least 20 of them. The other three aren't bad (they're better than a couple that I'd have to recommend for plot reasons), they're not not essential. And even they progress the plot.

The first season of PoI could be a great lesson for TV writers in terms of structuring a season - it's such an evolution over the conventional 'big bad' format. If you take the 'big bad' format: there's a monster (or case, etc) of the week, and then a season-long arc building up a 'big bad' in the background, a higher-level challenge. POI likewise splits time between COTW and arc, but it's arc isn't just one arc: it basically has four major external arcs (the mysterious backgrounds of both lead characters, law enforcement trying to catch them, and two different criminal organisations). Not to mention the 'internal' individual character arcs of the two protagonists, and to a lesser extent the supporting cast, and the relationship arc between the two protagonists. These arcs are woven through the episodes - so no arc has to feel strung out too long with too little material, as a lot of modern TV shows do (some, in fact, feel too hasty) - and, like an MPOV fantasy novel, there's a kind of feeling that you have to watch on in case the next episode follows your favourite arc. Meanwhile while each arc comes to a greater or lesser level of conclusion, several of them are really just being set up for later seasons - so in later seasons the arcs can feel 'important' and weighty even if they don't get many episodes, because they've been going on for years. Indeed, one of the most important arcs at the end of S1 is a fifth external arc that's barely presaged in the season - the finale is more a launching pad for a new plot than a conclusion of an old one (though it is that too). It's not a perfect season, but it's a remarkably good one - I remembered how I liked it more as it developed into less of a procedural show, but actually it's about a good a procedural as you're ever likely to find!

FWIW, my "abridged version" would be all the episodes barring 5, 12 and 16. And I have a really soft spot for 16. None of these are 'don't watch' episodes, they're just 'not essential' episodes. Oh, and you could also maybe skip 14.
[the worst episodes may be 2 and 3 (and the main plot of 1 is weak too), but they're essential for their masses of set-up and backstory].

However, if that abridgement is too long, a 'super-abridgement' would be 1-4, 6-7, 10-11, 13, 15, and 19-23. Skipping 8-9 and 17-18 will cost you some character backstory and minor plot developments - a few things will be unexplained, but it should basically make sense.

And an absolute 'I just want the core plot' indispensable episode list would probably be 1-3, 7, 10-11, 19-23. [you could in an emergency drop 3, 7, 19, and I guess if necessary 20. And i guess 2 if you're smart and paying attention to the others?].

The best episodes, btw? 4 (Cura Te Ipsum), 7 (Witness), 11 (Super), and 23 (Firewall). 20 (Many Happy Returns) is a fan favourite and not without reason, though I might prefer 22 (No Good Deed). So I suppose a really minimal 'i don't care much about continuity but just want goo episodes' list might be 1, 4, 7, 11, 20-23. Which is already as long as some entire seasons of recent shows...

----------------

Before that, I rewatchd the first season of Halt and Catch Fire. It's... so much worse than it became. It's still an enjoyable show in the first season, but I can understand why many people didn't give it time - it's much more melodramatic and over-the-top than it would become in its genius later seasons. It's amusing, in a way: a lot of the first season is a debate between doing something well and doing something profitably, and the show sort of illustrates that: the first season tries to do it profitably (and ends up sort of trapped - too 'prestige' for mass market, but too cheesy for critics), but by the fourth season it's given up on any pretence of commercial viability and just sets out to be one of the greatest seasons of TV ever...

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 12 Aug 2018 13:45

Isao Tomita - Debussy Arabesque No. 1 (Snowflakes are Dancing)

This particular version, quirky and just downright silly in parts, was used as the Intro and Outro theme for the PBS program Star Hustler. It was weekly program of about 15 minutes, hosted by Jack Horkheimer of the Miami Space Transit Planetarium. it would air Sunday evenings at around 10:30 or thereabouts.

Believe it or not, I broke out into tears listening to this song once again. After aeons upon aeons, it just reminded me of such an innocent time. Not nostalgia exactly, nor, Sehnsucht, añoranza, nor saudade, but a kind of peaceable wonderment. For a few minutes, pressing the big red shiny candy-like History Erase button had no consequence at all.

And he never failed to prepare his fellow stargazers for the "celestial fireworks" both big and small, that would ensue each week.
Looking back, I think his predictions of uncanny views of the Jovian satellites, meteor showers, comet arrivals, and brilliant conjunctions were the absolute only reason for my teen self to get up before the crack of dawn with honest zeal.

What a different time it was.

In his own words, I admonish you all, Conlangers and Conworlders and Fellow Stargazers, to "keep looking up".

Wherever you are, Mr. Horkheimer, on behalf of us all, I promise that we will.
[:)]

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 12 Aug 2018 17:02

Lambuzhao wrote:
12 Aug 2018 13:45
Isao Tomita - Debussy Arabesque No. 1 (Snowflakes are Dancing)

This particular version, quirky and just downright silly in parts, was used as the Intro and Outro theme for the PBS program Star Hustler. It was weekly program of about 15 minutes, hosted by Jack Horkheimer of the Miami Space Transit Planetarium. it would air Sunday evenings at around 10:30 or thereabouts.

Believe it or not, I broke out into tears listening to this song once again. After aeons upon aeons, it just reminded me of such an innocent time. Not nostalgia exactly, nor, Sehnsucht, añoranza, nor saudade, but a kind of peaceable wonderment. For a few minutes, pressing the big red shiny candy-like History Erase button had no consequence at all.

And he never failed to prepare his fellow stargazers for the "celestial fireworks" both big and small, that would ensue each week.
Looking back, I think his predictions of uncanny views of the Jovian satellites, meteor showers, comet arrivals, and brilliant conjunctions were the absolute only reason for my teen self to get up before the crack of dawn with honest zeal.

What a different time it was.

In his own words, I admonish you all, Conlangers and Conworlders and Fellow Stargazers, to "keep looking up".

Wherever you are, Mr. Horkheimer, on behalf of us all, I promise that we will.
[:)]
Hmm.

Maybe something like
elendelasuruein — watch the stars wheel overhead; rejoice in the changing seasons and years; recollect the past with nostalgia and grief intermingled; recount the years and ages of the world via mythistorical narrative or song (< Tur. elendelarê < elenaleya, star + Tur. yassuervian, watch with grief and joy in turns)

or perhaps
guiraethrond — that sense of awe & reverence about the created order and the longing and nostalgia for the long ages of moons and stars that have gone before and will never come again — a sense of awe and wonder about something created by another — this sense of awe and reverence applies not only to past history, but also to mythological history and also allohistory and thus to the makings of storytellers, riddlers, wordsmiths and glossopoets.
guiraethrondein — (stopping a walk) to gaze up longingly at the moon & stars

?
[<3] [<3] [<3]

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 09 Sep 2018 15:51

DONG - Michael Says Prime Numbers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEaYbDWyQE

Michael makes what could potentially be one of the most boring of lists to read into a recitation of pure aplomb, suspense and joy . I could listen to this for 3 hrs [:P]

Makes me wanna record a reading of my list of primes in Rozwi all the more [;)]

lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd » 09 Sep 2018 16:19

did you know this fascinating artist Roman Opalka

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 09 Sep 2018 16:33

lsd wrote:
09 Sep 2018 16:19
did you know this fascinating artist Roman Opalka
The Static of Numbers

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera