How to make a website for my conlang?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
nmn
greek
greek

How to make a website for my conlang?

Post by nmn » 03 Mar 2013 12:45

I had made and hosted simple websites before, but still I want to ask those who have experience - how have you approached the creation of a site for your conlang? Did you write everything manually or did you use something preexisting/some kind of system? Where do you host it?
Also, how can I make boxes in which the visitor can enter some words and see if they are correct, much like the ones in this site?
Thanks in advance.

Xing
MVP
MVP

Re: How to make a website for my conlang?

Post by Xing » 03 Mar 2013 13:28

I've written my website manually (php +html)

I've been thinking of adding an sql dictionary. We'll see if I can ever arse myself to do that.

Batrachus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Batrachus » 03 Mar 2013 14:05

Some stuff is not possible to make if you don't understand webdesign. Learn HTML.
:ces: Native
:slk: Mutually intelligibile with native language
:eng: Almost fluent
:esp: Little
:deu: Little more
:epo: Everybody can speak it!
:con: Speedlang

dh3537
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by dh3537 » 03 Mar 2013 20:10

I write everything manually using html, php, and sql.
Also, how can I make boxes in which the visitor can enter some words and see if they are correct, much like the ones in this site?
For the button's onclick event, they used Javascript to display the text.
I use 000webhost for my blog right now. It's free and fast.
If you want to make a dictionary, you're probably going to have to make a sql database and use php to fetch entries from the database and display them. W3Schools has some good articles/tutorials about that including this one. I also use phpmyadmin (it has a more-or-less user-friendly graphical interface) to manage my dictionary database (i.e. add/remove entries). I don't have one up and running at the moment. You can see this one uses MySQL and PHP (but it isn't working for me; I think the website creator is working on it; I also think the website creator is on CBB).

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 04 Mar 2013 22:10

I also do mine by hand.

While there is a slight learning curve, I found there were far more resources and tutorials than for other methods of documenting conlangs. (Yes, that means you LaTeX, you suck balls for making yourself overly complicated and I hate you now.) The basics of HTML and CSS are easy to grasp and there's an ocean of options for formatting and design.

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 05 Mar 2013 21:36

HTML and CSS are enough for simple website.

I prefer to add some PHP though, at least for including menus and stuff (so that they become easier to update).

Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco » 07 Mar 2013 16:42

to scale graph of methods arranged by hassle

google sites.
any wikifarm ever
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
learn to make websites

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 07 Mar 2013 17:13

I have yet to see a wiki that I thought was a good way of documenting a language.
If you want something that works well you're going to have to put the effort in, IMO.

Trailsend

Post by Trailsend » 07 Mar 2013 19:17

Torco wrote:to scale graph of methods arranged by hassle

google sites.
any wikifarm ever
learn to make a simple, static website
-
-
-
maintain and add to a google sites website over time while staying sane
-
learn how to make a dynamic website (e.g., with a searchable dictionary)
figure out how to usefully structure a wiki
-
???
Fixed.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 16 Mar 2013 13:51

Lately I have been planning of doing some kind of wiki for my conlangs - maybe like Wikipedia, but with my own conlangs.

Is there any particular wiki software that you'd recommend? Should I just opt for mediawiki (that Wikipedia uses), or are there other options you'd recommend?

silvercat
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by silvercat » 19 Mar 2013 21:05

I use tiddlywiki. It's all one file (aside from pictures). You can put on a portable drive and take it with you to edit anywhere. By default it can't be edited online (although that can be changed, I believe) which keeps other people from messing with it. Unfortunately Firefox changed some things so you have to install a plugin to work with it.
Current conlang: Ŋyjichɯn, formerly known as Ŋyazchyn, formerly known as Ochyn.
Other conlang blog posts

SLiV
greek
greek

Post by SLiV » 20 Mar 2013 09:18

I've been working on my own conlang's website for the past three weeks. By hand as well, using HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL and I'm probably gonna use JavaScript as well. Granted, I already had a bit of experience in programming. It's utterly incomplete, but here's what I've got so far on my website.

But yeah, I think you could go a long way with just HTML and CSS, both of which are pretty easy to learn.
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating

ol bofosh
roman
roman
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh » 20 Mar 2013 09:48

I use wikispaces for Alahithian and Gnoughish.

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 20 Mar 2013 20:05

I've just installed pmwiki, and I'm learning the various features.

Tmt97
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tmt97 » 20 Mar 2013 20:31

I know html fairly well, if you decide to create the website yourself, and you need any help just send me a message. I would highly suggest learning html though. Its very useful, and it isn't that hard to learn. Just look up a few tutorials and guides on google.

Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco » 22 Mar 2013 14:37

Trailsend wrote:
Torco wrote:to scale graph of methods arranged by hassle

google sites.
any wikifarm ever
learn to make a simple, static website
-
-
-
maintain and add to a google sites website over time while staying sane
-
learn how to make a dynamic website (e.g., with a searchable dictionary)
figure out how to usefully structure a wiki
-
???
Fixed.
a true but less useful model: anything below learn to make a static website is well beyond the proximate development zone of anyone asking the question hey guise, how i make a website.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 22 Mar 2013 23:15

What do the most beginningest of beginners do? For instance, going about getting a website?

abi
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by abi » 27 Mar 2013 01:36

Dormouse559 wrote:What do the most beginningest of beginners do? For instance, going about getting a website?
Usually start out on free web spaces, like Geocities (RIP) or Angelfire to learn the basics then move on to more advance stuff.

Trailsend

Post by Trailsend » 28 Mar 2013 07:18

Dormouse559 wrote:What do the most beginningest of beginners do? For instance, going about getting a website?
It's not actually necessary to "get" a website before you start building one. All you need is a web browser (which you clearly have) and a plain text editor. You can write your website in HTML using the text editor, save it as a .html file, and then open that file using your web browser to see what you've made.

I actually found this preferable to writing my documentation in a word processor, because I felt like I had a lot more freedom over formatting, and because if you write your website well, it's really easy to make major formatting changes later on, which is hard to do with a 50-page word processor file. (Granted, this might just be because I know HTML way better than I know advanced techniques of word-processor-foo.)

Then, once you've reached a point where you want to publish your document, you can look into finding a place to host your web page on the internet. There are a variety of free places to do this—I used to use webs.com, but I honestly haven't touched them in years, so I don't know whether they're still decent. I believe if you become a member of the LCS they provide you with some hosting space.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 28 Mar 2013 07:22

Oh, I actually figured out how to do the HTML part (after much struggling with counterintuitive default settings on my Mac). The links in this thread have been quite useful. I was actually asking more about hosting. Sorry for being unclear.

I'll check out the services you and abi have mentioned. Thank you.