(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 6375
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by eldin raigmore » 26 Sep 2018 01:39

Did she have to stand still until the spiders were through tailoring it?

User avatar
fruityloops
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 99
Joined: 04 Oct 2017 04:09

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by fruityloops » 27 Sep 2018 16:12

eldin raigmore wrote:
26 Sep 2018 01:39
Did she have to stand still until the spiders were through tailoring it?

https://inhabitat.com/ecouterre/worlds- ... n-display/

User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 6375
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Bonfire Night

Post by eldin raigmore » 05 Nov 2018 22:17

Who is doing what to observe Guy Fawkes’s Day?


—————

Did we miss our patroness St. Hildegard’s day not only this year 9/17/18 but also last year 9/17/17?

User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2794
Joined: 10 Nov 2012 20:52
Location: California

Re: Bonfire Night

Post by Dormouse559 » 06 Nov 2018 03:16

eldin raigmore wrote:
05 Nov 2018 22:17
Who is doing what to observe Guy Fawkes’s Day?
I tried to blow up a parliament, but the owls just swiveled their heads and saw me, so that didn't go so well. [:S]

User avatar
rgj40q
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 27
Joined: 06 Oct 2018 21:14

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by rgj40q » 10 Nov 2018 07:26

The CBB was inaccessible for a few days. Is it going to be allright?

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7781
Joined: 13 May 2012 02:57

Re: Bonfire Night

Post by Lambuzhao » 10 Nov 2018 07:27

eldin raigmore wrote:
05 Nov 2018 22:17
Did we miss our patroness St. Hildegard’s day not only this year 9/17/18 but also last year 9/17/17?
Uff!

Remiss!!

A (sort-of) poem to Hildegard in an unknown tongue:

O crizanta Kulzhilzmaiz
Chorztum gaudium mei bischinizis
Vrizoil et Veriszoil
orzchisum rangziarum
Razinthia et Scorinzin
Nostra


O Anointed great-great-grand-stepmother
the joy of my youthful self
Virgin and Womb
of measureless tongues
Our Interpreter and Whisperer

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7781
Joined: 13 May 2012 02:57

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Lambuzhao » 10 Nov 2018 12:06

This needs to be made into a door-sign

https://goo.gl/images/hZVYMx




"Shhh! Conlangers at work!"

User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 6375
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Bonfire Night

Post by eldin raigmore » 11 Nov 2018 05:55

Dormouse559 wrote:
06 Nov 2018 03:16
eldin raigmore wrote:
05 Nov 2018 22:17
Who is doing what to observe Guy Fawkes’s Day?
I tried to blow up a parliament, but the owls just swiveled their heads and saw me, so that didn't go so well. [:S]
LOL! [:D] [xD] :mrgreen:

___________________
Lambuzhao wrote:
10 Nov 2018 07:27
eldin raigmore wrote:
05 Nov 2018 22:17
Did we miss our patroness St. Hildegard’s day not only this year 9/17/18 but also last year 9/17/17?
Uff!

Remiss!!

A (sort-of) poem to Hildegard in an unknown tongue:

O crizanta Kulzhilzmaiz
Chorztum gaudium mei bischinizis
Vrizoil et Veriszoil
orzchisum rangziarum
Razinthia et Scorinzin
Nostra


O Anointed great-great-grand-stepmother
the joy of my youthful self
Virgin and Womb
of measureless tongues
Our Interpreter and Whisperer
That’s very good!

Tanni
greek
greek
Posts: 783
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 02:05

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Tanni » 12 Nov 2018 10:36

fruityloops wrote:
18 Sep 2018 20:21
I don't know if this belongs here but I wanna ask, in my world, the main races are mainly humanoid arthropods of different kinds and a few of them can produce silk. what impact would this have on society?
Depends on how much silk they produce. If it is much, then they also need much to eat. As far as I know, real spiders eat their nets to recycle the material. They might need special food. They might use their silk not just for clothing, but also for dwelling, i. e. building cocoons. They might have different kinds of silk, as spiders do. If they are more involved, they might have lots of kinds of silk for different purposes, e. g. building a cocoon, making it watertight, differend kinds of silk threads or tissues, sticky threads/tissues for attaching the threads/silk tissue to stones or trees, different qualities of silk tissues, different kinds of silk tissues for healing purposes (not just for themselves, but also for other species, so they could be some kind of healers).

BTW: I like your idea! My world has intelligent and sentinent giant spiders. Their silk has all the above mentioned properties, some silk tissues are used for treating wounds and to prevent them from infections (also of other species, especially Catys and Humans), and they live in huge cocoons together with some Catys.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.

User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 6375
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by eldin raigmore » 12 Nov 2018 19:12

How come Antarctica 🇦🇶 doesn’t have any indigenous ants 🐜 on it?

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7781
Joined: 13 May 2012 02:57

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Lambuzhao » 18 Nov 2018 18:03

Not just Antarctica! Greenland, Iceland, parts of Polynesia and the Hawaiian Islands lack native ant species, and… ooooh.
I see what you did there. [B)]

Silly Billy! Y'got me!!
[xP]

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7781
Joined: 13 May 2012 02:57

Re: Bonfire Night

Post by Lambuzhao » 18 Nov 2018 18:04

eldin raigmore wrote:
11 Nov 2018 05:55
Dormouse559 wrote:
06 Nov 2018 03:16
eldin raigmore wrote:
05 Nov 2018 22:17
Who is doing what to observe Guy Fawkes’s Day?
I tried to blow up a parliament, but the owls just swiveled their heads and saw me, so that didn't go so well. [:S]
LOL! [:D] [xD] :mrgreen:

___________________
Lambuzhao wrote:
10 Nov 2018 07:27
eldin raigmore wrote:
05 Nov 2018 22:17
Did we miss our patroness St. Hildegard’s day not only this year 9/17/18 but also last year 9/17/17?
Uff!

Remiss!!

A (sort-of) poem to Hildegard in an unknown tongue:

O crizanta Kulzhilzmaiz
Chorztum gaudium mei bischinizis
Vrizoil et Veriszoil
orzchisum rangziarum
Razinthia et Scorinzin
Nostra


O Anointed great-great-grand-stepmother
the joy of my youthful self
Virgin and Womb
of measureless tongues
Our Interpreter and Whisperer
That’s very good!
I thank thee!
[;)]

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7781
Joined: 13 May 2012 02:57

Re: Bonfire Night

Post by Lambuzhao » 18 Nov 2018 18:06

Dormouse559 wrote:
06 Nov 2018 03:16
eldin raigmore wrote:
05 Nov 2018 22:17
Who is doing what to observe Guy Fawkes’s Day?
I tried to blow up a parliament, but the owls just swiveled their heads and saw me, so that didn't go so well. [:S]
I think you have to give more of a Whoot to be more successful in that venture. [B)]

User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 6375
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by eldin raigmore » 18 Nov 2018 19:10

Lambuzhao wrote:
18 Nov 2018 18:03
Not just Antarctica! Greenland, Iceland, parts of Polynesia and the Hawaiian Islands lack native ant species, and… ooooh.
I see what you did there. [B)]

Silly Billy! Y'got me!!
[xP]
My brain’s way of coming up with the question might have been punny, but I actually want to know.

Army ants 🐜 are found both on Africa and on South America, and appear to be related. The currently favored explanation is that army ants evolved and spread before Africa and SA drifted apart. Surely ants-in-general evolved and spread before army ants did. So I wonder why the parts of the world without ants don’t have them. Were they all parts of Laurasia but not of Gondwanaland, or something?

User avatar
WeepingElf
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 193
Joined: 23 Feb 2016 18:42
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Contact:

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by WeepingElf » 18 Nov 2018 21:31

Antarctica was part of Gondwanaland, but it eventually became too cold for ants to thrive, I think.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

User avatar
Lambuzhao
korean
korean
Posts: 7781
Joined: 13 May 2012 02:57

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Lambuzhao » 19 Nov 2018 00:50

WeepingElf wrote:
18 Nov 2018 21:31
Antarctica was part of Gondwanaland, but it eventually became too cold for ants to thrive, I think.
There are a few southerly species :
Jack jumper ants (Tasmania)
Clubbed Trigger ants (New Zealand)
Bullhead ants (Southern Africa)
Monomorium bidentatum (Patagonia)
Weaver ants Œcophylla (Tierra del Fuego)

So there are clearly more than one possible candidate for rafting.


It seems that ants are kind of bound by minimum temps
https://phys.org/news/2013-03-ants-temperature.html

But that's not to say that certain species cannot collectively buck the cold
https://phys.org/news/2016-06-mountaine ... -body.html

https://biology.stackexchange.com/quest ... ts-to-cold



IMHO I think that ants are incapable of digging far into/combatting permafrost, though.

And I bet that in a place like Antarctica, no (complex) plant associations with large taprooted plants/shrubs/trees might have something to do with it as well.

User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 6375
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by eldin raigmore » 19 Nov 2018 05:04

1. Thanks, Lambuzhao.

2. Rafting?
2A. From where?
2b. To where?
2c. When?

3. I’m almost sure you’re right about the permafrost. Probably the plants, too. But Antarctica still had macroflora sometime after it drifted to the South Pole — right? Would it have kept its ants until the bigger and middle-sized plants all died?

this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Aug 2018 06:33

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by this_is_an_account » 24 Nov 2018 22:18

How does one type combining diacritics on this site? I'm on mobile using an IPA keyboard, and if I type a diacritic, it doesn't do anything.

User avatar
Pabappa
sinic
sinic
Posts: 254
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 02:41
Contact:

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Pabappa » 25 Nov 2018 02:45

That's why all my conlangs have simple phonologies 😛... I have not found a way to type without copypasting, so if I'm typing anything fancy it means I'm on my big screen PC. Just not a common need, I guess, so no integrated keyboards.
Last edited by Pabappa on 25 Nov 2018 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry guys, this one has the worst sting.

User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2794
Joined: 10 Nov 2012 20:52
Location: California

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Dormouse559 » 25 Nov 2018 03:09

this_is_an_account wrote:
24 Nov 2018 22:18
How does one type combining diacritics on this site? I'm on mobile using an IPA keyboard, and if I type a diacritic, it doesn't do anything.
I don't think there is a way to directly type combining diacritics on this site. I use Aszev's X-SAMPA to IPA converter. I remember you asking about combining tone and nasalization markers, so I'll use that as an example. If you type /e_M~/, you'll get /ē̃/.

Post Reply