China as a Future Superpower?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
threecat
sinic
sinic

China as a Future Superpower?

Post by threecat » 20 Oct 2013 01:31

Please read :When China Rules the World: The End of the Western World and the Birth of a New Global Order by Brian Jacques and commnet.

Thakowsaizmu
mongolian
mongolian

Re: China as a Future Superpower?

Post by Thakowsaizmu » 20 Oct 2013 03:20

China's not a future superpower, China is a superpower.

Unless you mean China as a superpower insofar as a man was bit by a radioactive China and now he's China-Man. But that sounds a little sexist and racist [:|]

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 20 Oct 2013 04:12

threecat wrote:Please read :When China Rules the World: The End of the Western World and the Birth of a New Global Order by Brian Jacques and commnet.

Could you summarise the argument of the book?

As Thakow says, China is already (at least in a sense, depending on how you define it) a superpower. The larger and richer the nation is, the more power and influence it has. (Though still, many smaller nations together could be more powerful than a single superpower...)

Xonen

Post by Xonen » 20 Oct 2013 13:29

Thakowsaizmu wrote:China's not a future superpower, China is a superpower.
Maybe by some definitions, but this doesn't appear to be generally accepted just yet.
Unless you mean China as a superpower insofar as a man was bit by a radioactive China and now he's China-Man. But that sounds a little sexist and racist [:|]
Well, if you're worried about sexism, then you could just make him form one half of a dynamic duo, wherein he kicks crime and fights ass together with Ceramic-Matrix-Composite-Woman, or something. The possibilities are endless.

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 20 Oct 2013 13:58

:?: :!: :?: :?:
Absolutely the exact first thing that bipped into my head when I read this title.

Þanco, Thakowsaizmu.

Although I agree strongly with Jacques' assertion
At its core, China is a civilization-state rather than a nation-state, a fact which will become steadily more apparent
Does this mean that China becomes the superpower,
I'm not so sure.

I cannot doubt that history is cyclical; there will be a time when China will rise greatly in prominence into the New World Order a few decades down the road.

Will China be architecting this New World Order and dictating it to the world, again, not so sure.

知不知,尚矣;不知知,病矣。

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 20 Oct 2013 18:13

China is a superpower?
Time for me to learn that distant oïl-dialect known as Parisian French... Allons-y!
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

threecat
sinic
sinic

Post by threecat » 23 Oct 2013 21:54

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
That comment's quite funny.I'm not offended.[:)]

Click
runic
runic

Post by Click » 25 Oct 2013 20:39

Put a space after a full stop. [;)]

masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako » 25 Oct 2013 23:31

I agree that China is a well developed nation, but I would not use the term "superpower".

This is an ok article if you have the time to read it.

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 26 Oct 2013 10:16

Interesting article.

I do not think that the trend that China shows of "stretching out" into the world is so strange, new or foreign for the Middel Kingdom. From what (little) i have studied of Chinese culture and politics,
I have come to realize that the Chinese are big into the longer than long term focus. In other words, they consider many paces down the road what actions today may cause. Whether the borders are spatial or temporal, I think that China considers a "big picture" that is beyond the limits of the past 200 or so hurtful (to China) years, and the hurly burly of Western democracy and capitalism. If you pardon the mixed metaphor, all of those, to China, are nothing more than a storm in a teacup.

China's involvement in Africa is especially interesting. Are they cleaning up their act, regarding humanitarian aide? Are they making tentacular gains into these countries under humanitarian shadow and pretext? Promoting regimes with poor human rights issues; is the underlying motive not ultimately a Communist agenda? To foment the revolution?And if not that, at the very least expose the haves, while augmenting the situation for the havenots to rise? I'm no expert on (Chinese) communism, though I studied Marx quite a bit in University some years back. China is smart where Russia was not: in the purse. If the goal is for Communism again, China is getting there by using the weapon of capitalism against itself: investment, investment and investment. The USSR (OMG, CCCP! Flashbacks of ancient Olympic hockey games and rockets...Brezhnev...whoa) could not outcompete the West. Despite what my professors said in college (late 1980s - USSR will turn in 30-50 years, no sooner); communism was due to fall there and in the satellites "yesterday" at the latest. But China...well, China has this staying power; it never lost its foothold in international markets. China's like a fisherperson who caught itself a big fish in the West. i loathe the idea that China will assume a superior position to the West; the days of Western (i.e. US) monopolity are done. It's as if the fisherperson is tugging at the hook and make some blood. But I fear that China may go further. Billions of dollars of puppet-strings in the US alone is disconcerting. Counts of cybersnooping by China during recent elections in the US doesn't help. Will the fisherperson twist and yank out the hook? The big fat fish oughtta be nervous.

Despite the sobering measure that China's economy is 1/5 that of the US (!), I think that China is, if not a superpower in the classic sense, then an anti-superpower (No, Lord Blackadder did not tell me that term) at the least.

I don't know if any of this made sense. I haven't had my first coffee of the morning yet. God help you when I have.

Interesting article, masako.
[;)]

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 26 Oct 2013 10:18

Interesting article.

I do not think that the trend that China shows of "stretching out" into the world is so strange, new or foreign for the Middel Kingdom. From what (little) i have studied of Chinese culture and politics,
I have come to realize that the Chinese are big into the longer than long term focus. In other words, they consider many paces down the road what actions today may cause. Whether the borders are spatial or temporal, I think that China considers a "big picture" that is beyond the limits of the past 200 or so hurtful (to China) years, and the hurly burly of Western democracy and capitalism. If you pardon the mixed metaphor, all of those, to China, are nothing more than a storm in a teacup.

China's involvement in Africa is especially interesting. Are they cleaning up their act, regarding humanitarian aide? Are they making tentacular gains into these countries under humanitarian shadow and pretext? Promoting regimes with poor human rights issues; is the underlying motive not ultimately a Communist agenda? To foment the revolution?And if not that, at the very least expose the haves, while augmenting the situation for the havenots to rise? I'm no expert on (Chinese) communism, though I studied Marx quite a bit in University some years back. China is smart where Russia was not: in the purse. If the goal is for Communism again, China is getting there by using the weapon of capitalism against itself: investment, investment and investment. The USSR (OMG, CCCP! Flashbacks of ancient Olympic hockey games and rockets...Brezhnev...whoa) could not outcompete the West. Despite what my professors said in college (late 1980s - USSR will turn in 30-50 years, no sooner); communism was due to fall there and in the satellites "yesterday" at the latest. But China...well, China has this staying power; it never lost its foothold in international markets. China's like a fisherperson who caught itself a big fish in the West. i loathe the idea that China will assume a superior position to the West; the days of Western (i.e. US) monopolity are done. It's as if the fisherperson is tugging at the hook and make some blood. But I fear that China may go further. Billions of dollars of puppet-strings in the US alone is disconcerting. Counts of cybersnooping by China during recent elections in the US doesn't help. Will the fisherperson twist and yank out the hook? The big fat fish oughtta be nervous.

Despite the sobering measure that China's economy is 1/5 that of the US (!), I think that China is, if not a superpower in the classic sense, then an anti-superpower (No, Lord Blackadder did not tell me that term) at the least.

I don't know if any of this made sense. I haven't had my first coffee of the morning yet. God help you when I have.

Interesting article, masako.
[;)]

hadad
sinic
sinic

Post by hadad » 31 Oct 2013 15:34

The United States isn't going anywhere. It won't join Italy and Iran anytime soon either, as miniregional powers that used to be superpowers. It'll likely become more like the Russian Federation, a superpower insofaras it is a global power with global influence, but it won't enjoy the top spot anymore. Just like Britain, France, Spain, Germany, etc... once did.
Know phrases in more languages than can fit in this signature.
Speaks English and Spanish.
Reads Sumerian.
There is more.

Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco » 29 Nov 2013 16:51

My answer to China as a Superpower is a very zen Mu: the answer is neither yes nor no but 'the question is wrong'. This means that I think that if china were to become the richest, most powerful, most influential state in the world stage <and it still has a looong way to go to do so> its hegemony would not function the way we imagine hegemony when we use the word Superpower: Superpower is basically a category that has been used to describe the states and the Glorious Union of Free Soviet Repu... *ehem* sorry, the soviet union. and I guess to a lesser degree the colonialist powers of post-renaissance europe like Britain and, to a lesser degree, the Iberian empires earlier. However, as the chinese often point out, China is not Europe and, with regards to the chinese state, development and foreign policy has not and will probably not follow European lines completely: I mean, sure, capitalism... lots of capitalis, but not really economic freedom per se: China has very little of that.

Historically, China-as-a-hegemon has sought submission and suzerainty from client nations, not annexion -as in colonialism- or political coopting of the local elites and political apparatuses -as the cold war superpowers did. China seems to be putting a lot of money in Africa and its probably through investment, not through political influence, that its hegemony -if it does get hegemony- will be manifested. I don't see the Chinese annexing anything other than Hong Kong and maybe bits and pieces of Mongolia and India. China was most of the world's GDP <Gross Product, I guess, since there's nothing domestic about the world's economy> for the bigger part of what we imagine as the middle ages, and no one gave a fuck outside SE Asia. Still, we might end up all having to learn Mandarin just yet... at least along the pacific coast.