NaNoWriMo

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

NaNoWriMo

Post by cybrxkhan » 28 Oct 2013 02:47

So NaNoWriMo's coming up in a couple of days. I know a lot of us here are into writing, so anyone trying it?

For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo's this thing where you try to write a 50k novel throughout the month of November. Some people who take it more seriously than I do things like join forums specifically for NaNoWriMo, meet with local fellow writers, or worse, lock themselves in their rooms and actually spend hours writing a novel. I guess if you're interested you can see the website here: http://nanowrimo.org/. Of course you don't have to do 50k if you're not up for that, the whole point of the thing is try to get your creative juices flowing and write as much as you can.

Anyhow, this year I'll try my first serious attempt at it. Last year I managed ~2000 words, which was pretty impressive considering my pathetic writing record post-high school, but this year I'm going to try to go for the full thing.

At first I wasn't sure what novel idea I wanted to work on (there was one idea I really wanted to do since it was very personal and meaningful to me, but i couldn't because it's too complicated for me to tackle for NaNoWriMo), but I've decided to write a novel idea I've had for about a year or two that, unsurprisingly, takes place in my conworld, during the end of its post-lite steampunk apocalypse era (for lack of better wording), when the world is starting to reconnect itself and re-industralize - for better or worse - and the main character is one of the important political figures caught up in it who doesn't want to be caught up in it. The story I will be working one does seem to have traces of Asian-American themes (whatever that means) despite taking place in my conworld, and I do intend to explore the merits and drawbacks of neutrality and moderate (political) ideology. Generally though it's a somewhat light adventure, Indiana Jones-esque sort of thing, cybrxkhan's conworld style.

But yeah, that's me. What about you folks?
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce

thetha
darkness
darkness

Re: NaNoWriMo

Post by thetha » 28 Oct 2013 04:56

I'd really love to do this, but I don't believe there's any way I'll finish it. I like to write but I don't have the motivation right now to do anything of that magnitude. Maybe next year! ^^

prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Re: NaNoWriMo

Post by prettydragoon » 28 Oct 2013 19:45

I did NaNoWriMo in 2007... OMG, was it really that long ago? I got in 50,000 words of story on a technicality. What I figured was, I'd get that out of my system first, and next year, I'd write a real story of the novel nature. That "next year" hasn't come yet, nor do I think this year is it either. But I do think NaNoWriMo is a cool concept, and you should try it if you can make the time.
♀♥♀
I too have a minicity.