The Majestic 4th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: The Majestic 4th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 17 Dec 2016 15:16

OTʜᴇB wrote: I guess all we can do is try and get some people into better music (of any genre) and hope a trend emerges. If you think about it: If the trend becomes like that of Mozart or
OTʜᴇB wrote: I guess all we can do is try and get some people into better music (of any genre) and hope a trend emerges. If you think about it: If the trend becomes like that of Mozart or Bach, pretty much EVERY pop artist is going to go bankrupt within weeks as near all of them have absolutely no idea what they're doing and just recede and disappear - we can only hope [:P]
It's probably been said before, but there's a big BIG difference between being an artiste, and being a performer, and then again being a businessperson.

Excelling in not just one, but ALL THREE categories, necessarily amplifies the odds and shrinks the pool of potential candidates.

Apart from Mozart, in (older) modern popular music, I think of Elvis, Paul McCartney, David Bowie, Prince, MJ, Ozzy Osbourne, Gene Simmonds, Juan Gabriel.
I kind of think MJ and Elvis were light in the business-savvy dept, but more than made up for it in the performing & output areas.

But, it really does come down to personal aesthetics and de gustibus non est disputandum.
It's great to be around folks who can make informed decisions, but that isn't always the case.
Some openness is required, certainly.

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 17 Dec 2016 15:19

Lambuzhao wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I'd say that Celldweller is a modern day Beethoven. Haven't seen anyone mix genres the way he does.
M'kay.

So....

Curious, I picked a couple of tunes by Celldweller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkCUJdmUarw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMimeO279YE

I don't know how random a sample it is, since I don't know one song from another.

Soooooo..... how exactly is this guy/band like a modern day Beethoven?
What genres is he mixing in these songs, exactly?

:wat:
Despite the looks of it, I am not trying to bait or flame, or whatever.

I don't really know this kind of music, apart from stuff my son plays.
It sounds like there's dubstep, hmmm..., Eon sounds like it has some heavy metal chops/samples....
What else? [:S]
Educate me, plz. [:)]

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 17 Dec 2016 18:11

Lambuzhao wrote:Despite the looks of it, I am not trying to bait or flame, or whatever.

It sounds like there's dubstep, hmmm..., Eon sounds like it has some heavy metal chops/samples....
Eh, two song isn't really a sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBspxpQLfl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4x8PC25nY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszEi81v6Ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr43fE59s8Q
Etc: https://www.youtube.com/user/celldwelle ... 23&sort=dd
The comparison to Beethoven is a bit of a hyperbole, nonethless the work is high quality.
Channel page wrote:Celldweller creates a fusion of digital and organic textures: intricately designed soundscapes constructed from Drum & Bass, Electro and Modular Synths, woven together with aggressive Rock, Metal and Orchestral elements. Celldweller ignores genre boundaries and creates a pioneering vision of the future of electronic music.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 18 Dec 2016 20:38

I hate being so ruinic ...
Spoiler:
[:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » 19 Dec 2016 22:01

I just realised that I've started using weird grammatical constructions in my speech:

"I found an interesting" meaning "I have found something that is interesting"
This just seems to be a drop of the word "thing", but it could be something else entirely.

"Do a follow" meaning "Follow me"
My theory on this one is that it stems from phrases such as "do the cooking" in that I'm changing the article to refer to an in-specific task and defaulting to the verb "to do" e.g. "Do a cooking" or "Do a food."

Has anyone else noticed interesting things in the way they speak? If so, would you care to share it?
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 19 Dec 2016 23:13

"Do a" + verb is a memetic construct bud. You've been infected with memes.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 19 Dec 2016 23:30

Do a barrel roll.

Dezinaa
roman
roman

Post by Dezinaa » 20 Dec 2016 00:40

Do a digital dancing!

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 20 Dec 2016 02:36

qwed117 wrote:"Do a" + verb is a memetic construct bud. You've been infected with memes.
Stop it son, you are doing me a frighten.

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 20 Dec 2016 05:36

Hey, stop it, fren.
You're doing me the real big frighten.
[O.O]

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 20 Dec 2016 05:37

Ahzoh wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:Despite the looks of it, I am not trying to bait or flame, or whatever.

Eh, two song isn't really a sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBspxpQLfl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4x8PC25nY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszEi81v6Ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr43fE59s8Q
Etc: https://www.youtube.com/user/celldwelle ... 23&sort=dd
The comparison to Beethoven is a bit of a hyperbole, nonethless the work is high quality.
Channel page wrote:Celldweller creates a fusion of digital and organic textures: intricately designed soundscapes constructed from Drum & Bass, Electro and Modular Synths, woven together with aggressive Rock, Metal and Orchestral elements. Celldweller ignores genre boundaries and creates a pioneering vision of the future of electronic music.
Thank you!
[:)]

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 22 Dec 2016 21:48

Oh, hey everybody. I'm not dead. [xP] Just been VERY busy with moving and my new job lately, although with the holidays, I finally have some time to get caught up on things I enjoy, like the CBB!

I've still been active on CWS, so I've still been doing some conlanging, just not around here. It's nice to be back, though. [:D]

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 26 Dec 2016 12:07

And thus the year 2016 quoth: "Let them suffer during Christmas!"
George Michael, the man who sung Last Christmas, died at 53 year of age, yesterday.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 26 Dec 2016 14:38

Egerius wrote:And thus the year 2016 quoth: "Let them suffer during Christmas!"
George Michael, the man who sung Last Christmas, died at 53 year of age, yesterday.
Yeah, it's the back end of Monday here. I woke up to the news this morning and didn't want to bring the room down (id est: here, the list) in the midst of what should be happy holiday times (for those whom this would matter). I'm bummed, to be sure, but am not as effected as I'd've thought. Grief fatigue in the face of many music icons of my formative years leaving us? It just hasn't sunk in on the heels of a lovely holiday? Already did histrionics over Bowie and Bing? It's a hard call...

However, were I to offer a prayer to any permutation of the Cosmos that might care to be listening to my supplication, it's this: Artists can come with issues, we get it! Of course, you know better than we, but how 'bout taking a break next year, and stop claiming some of them so early. The Universe will rock on, to be sure, but an extra song or two for us, on this side?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 26 Dec 2016 19:48

still alive

i have a secret project

don't tell anyone
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 26 Dec 2016 21:05

Micamo wrote:still alive

i have a secret project

don't tell anyone
Oo! What is it? I won't tell --- honest!

:mrgreen:

Good to see you back from your wayward sojourn!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 26 Dec 2016 21:18

Junji Ito is a cool guy.

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 26 Dec 2016 21:31

elemtilas wrote:Oo! What is it? I won't tell --- honest!

:mrgreen:

Good to see you back from your wayward sojourn!
As the last of the suns nested and went to sleep, sure as the tides, the lights came out. Rising up from the bay, they flowed into the city streets, casting their pale blue glow onto the shops and parks the stay open and active all hours of the night. But though their movement seems natural, like water seeping into the cracks in a stone, the lights are only for real people. Somehow the lights never reach the magic-dead places, those dark and filthy alleyways where starving freg children huddle against each other in fear of their throats being slit as they slept. I think the lights know that we suffer. Do they stay away because they are ashamed, or because they do not care?
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter

Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval » 26 Dec 2016 21:35

Meanwhile I can't even be bothered to work on a "public" project. [xD]
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 26 Dec 2016 21:38

Micamo wrote:As the last of the suns nested and went to sleep, sure as the tides, the lights came out. Rising up from the bay, they flowed into the city streets, casting their pale blue glow onto the shops and parks the stay open and active all hours of the night. But though their movement seems natural, like water seeping into the cracks in a stone, the lights are only for real people. Somehow the lights never reach the magic-dead places, those dark and filthy alleyways where starving freg children huddle against each other in fear of their throats being slit as they slept. I think the lights know that we suffer. Do they stay away because they are ashamed, or because they do not care?
You've wandered into places both distant and perilous!

Sounds like the narrator is one of the freg children? Who are freg children and why does no one care for them?

They remind me of the home- and family-less Daine children back in the bad old days of the Old City. No one cared if one of them ran afoul of a gang of human youths. They could be killed or broken or brutalised with impunity.

And don't stop there! Lets keep it flowing!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera