Other Creativity

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Other Creativity

Post by qwed117 » 21 Feb 2020 09:38

The names being in the ocean and vaguely similar to European place name (eg. Odessia > Odessa, Ukraine) makes me feel like that it's some sort of Mediterranean Sea inversion, but my eye can't see it
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » 21 Feb 2020 09:48

qwed117 wrote:
21 Feb 2020 09:38
The names being in the ocean and vaguely similar to European place name (eg. Odessia > Odessa, Ukraine) makes me feel like that it's some sort of Mediterranean Sea inversion, but my eye can't see it
It is. Breccia/Eskeria would be the Iberian peninsula and Illyria is just Italy flipped again. The rest is squiggles because I didn't want to make the world too big. Illyria is basically just a fake Roman empire in the setting.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 21 Feb 2020 13:51

The river going through the mountains is weird, but not actually impossible. Sometimes, if the river is there before the mountains arrive, the river can cut a deep gorge through the mountains. We could assume that the upper course of the river is essentially within a basin of lower-lying hills.

The only example of this on earth that springs to mind (but I'm not a geographer!) is the Yarlung Tsangpo, which runs north of and parallel to the Himalaya, effectively trapped, until eventually it breaks through the Himalaya, becoming the Brahmaputra. The result is spectacular: the Tsangpo Gorge is the deepest canyon system in the world, and one of the longest (longer and deeper than the Grand Canyon). At its deepest/highest point, it's 6,000m from river to hilltop, three times the depth of the Grand Canyon. [The gorge is also one of the strangest and most inaccessible places. It was only proven to link the two rivers in 1914, and only actually travelled through in 2002; the area is still being explored. It combines arctic and tropical biomes and has many unique species.]