ASD Over/Under Diagnosis

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: ASD Over/Under Diagnosis

Post by qwed117 » 31 May 2015 05:42

Zontas wrote:Anyways, my super-interest are internet review shows like The Nostalgia Critic or JonTron.
So do I, and quite interestingly, I find that that also shows a more ASD-related side of me eg, I like watching only a couple of his episodes, but most remarkably, I only watch the ones with the obvious jokes. I can't get other comments that he makes. (PS, do you watch "A Dose of Buckley"?
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: ASD in Online Communities

Post by qwed117 » 31 May 2015 05:44

clawgrip wrote:
qwed117 wrote:PS:I'm looking for r/p-values, for the test
For the question "I am fascinated by numbers" I gave the answer "definitely disagree" In other words, I don't know what you're talking about. Please explain!
R-value is association of a number to a linear (note, not r^x, not r^2, just r) data set, it wouldn't be the best for a system that can't be measured continuously. P-value is accuracy in percent wrong.
Spoiler:

Zontas
roman
roman

Post by Zontas » 31 May 2015 05:47

qwed117 wrote:
Zontas wrote:Anyways, my super-interest are internet review shows like The Nostalgia Critic or JonTron.
So do I, and quite interestingly, I find that that also shows a more ASD-related side of me eg, I like watching only a couple of his episodes, but most remarkably, I only watch the ones with the obvious jokes. I can't get other comments that he makes. (PS, do you watch "A Dose of Buckley"?
I have a good deal of patience for trying to detect subtleties (meaning i watch episodes again and again until i get the jokes), plus i already know some of the references thanks to pop cultural osmosis making thing that would be subtle in a vacuum more blatant. I still miss a lot of the jokes tho and wind up laughing at the delivery or timing rather than the writing.

Not really a fan of Buckley. I watch very few YouTube shows that aren't review or analysis shows.
Edit: I took the test and got a 37.
Last edited by Zontas on 31 May 2015 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
Hey there.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 31 May 2015 05:52

I tried to take this test, but am puzzled by what some of the questions mean. For instance,

11. I find social situations easy.

By "social situatuons", do they mean being introduced to someone's friend, or do they mean eating at a formal dinner?

Also, the question about what it would be like to be someone else. Do they mean being in someone ekse's situation, or do they mean having someone else's personality? The former is much easier to imagne than the latter.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » 31 May 2015 05:57

Khemehekis wrote:I tried to take this test, but am puzzled by what some of the questions mean. For instance,

By "social situatuons", do they mean being introduced to someone's friend, or do they mean eating at a formal dinner?

Also, the question about what it would be like to be someone else. Do they mean being in someone ekse's situation, or do they mean having someone else's personality? The former is much easier to imagne than the latter.
They didn't specify what kind of social situations, so I assumed they means all social situations in general.
As for the second one, I assumed the former. I think the question is supposed to be testing how well you can empathize with others.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 31 May 2015 06:03

Zontas wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
I have a good deal of patience for trying to detect subtleties (meaning i watch episodes again and again until i get the jokes), plus i already know some of the references thanks to pop cultural osmosis making thing that would be subtle in a vacuum more blatant. I still miss a lot of the jokes tho and wind up laughing at the delivery or timing rather than the writing.

Not really a fan of Buckley. I watch very few YouTube shows that aren't review or analysis shows.
Edit: I took the test and got a 37.
*I usually watch his youtube 10 worst songs*
When I do watch his videos, I almost always go to the one's I've already seen, and like, the 2012, Roman Reloaded Roast (aliteration, guys, check it out)
I find it easiest to laugh at this, but as I gradually attempted to watch his other videos, I realized I didn't really understand what he was thinking (most specifically in Call Me Maybe).
Spoiler:

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 31 May 2015 06:04

clawgrip wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:I tried to take this test, but am puzzled by what some of the questions mean. For instance,

They didn't specify what kind of social situations, so I assumed they means all social situations in general.
As for the second one, I assumed the former. I think the question is supposed to be testing how well you can empathize with others.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4177?
also Good Night.
Just a quick thing:

Earlier today, I was talking to my mom, when I detected a slightly off-color defensive tone, so I backed off greatly. After I did that and said I said that I noticed a tone shift. She said it never happened. Then she said that I didn't back off at all. *insert shrug emojicon from before*
Spoiler:

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 31 May 2015 06:26

clawgrip wrote:

I enjoy meeting new people. I also have deep relationships with my friends, from Jolene to Oneika to Tristan to John. I don't have trouble making friends, and my friends are important to me. I see the Aspies online, and people who suspect they have Asperger's, saying, "I'm shy", talking about how they have hang-ups about having to interact with other people, and I totally can't relate to that. An example is Space Dracula from the ZBB, who described himself as "a shy, reserved, asocial intellectual", and said, "I feel much more at ease with books than with people". Space Dracula and other Aspies will say they have trouble ordering food at a restaurant -- you know the drill. That's just not Khemehekis.

On the other hand, I have trouble with, and avoid, situations wherein I am expected to behave rigidly. I have long hair and a beard, and wear sunglasses indoors and out except when I'm sleeping (fun fact: sometimes I accidentally wear my sunglasses into the shower). I am loud and hostile to the "inside voice" norm. I have been openly bisexual since I was 13. I need to spit quite frequently, and don't hide it when I do. I don't dress up (I just wear my turtleneck and khakis everywhere I go).

I remember one night back when I was in high school, when I was having dinner at my house with my family. I was eating steak (T-bone steak, mind you, so there was a bone to hold onto) with my bare hands, when my mother asked if I wanted to practice eating steak with a knife and fork. I told her I didn't.

"You may want to practice", my mother said, "Because when you get older you might be in social situations where it may not be acceptable to eat steak with your hands."

"I won't be in any such situations", I said.

"What?", my father asked. "You mean you don't plan to go to college?"

Psychologists speak of people's frames of reference. My chief frame of reference is establishmentarian vs. countercultural, and I know clearly where I fit on that spectrum. I don't think in terms of being a social person vs. being a non-social person.
♂♥♂♀

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 31 May 2015 08:34

I got 47/50 on the test Qwed linked to in the OP.

I've not been diagnosed with any form of autism, including Asperger's, but there's definitely something going on in terms of my ability to interact socially (even with close friends,I find it difficult to look anyone in the eye, I'll talk past the point that they've become disinterested, I apparently have little in the way of volume control or ability to read a room [according to family and friends and to some extent people I work with], my conversation topics and line of conversation are seemingly erratic despite them having an underlying flow in my head, I just skip that part out-loud, and most conversations I have I find difficult to continue), the way I spend my spare time, a predisposition for feeling anxious as a result of breaks in routine (even if I know that the reason for the break is something I'll enjoy), and a number of "ticks" or "rituals" (counting my teeth*, clicking my tongue, repeating movements and motions with knives at work, hand movements and the like), as well as noticeably talking to myself during situations where talking to another person is probably the better option.

*Counting seems to turn up a fair amount, especially when it comes to threes. I'll eat certain "countable" foods (sweets, crisps, pasta to an extent, biscuits, etc.) and drink all drinks (in terms of sips/mouthfuls) in threes and find it very difficult to eat the remaining one or two, either offering them to someone else or just leaving them. If I can force something to either be 3, an odd multiple of 3, or a prime, then I will.

I also seem to have some low level of dermatillomania. I've had a number of scabs on my left arm and my right leg (it almost exclusively seems to be these two, never my right arm or left leg, I assume due to right-handedness), which I've gotten either due to burns from work or picking at a keratin build-up, which have failed to heal over the course of several months because I'll pick at them at least once a day. I'll also bit my lips, the skin on the inside of my left cheek and the skin around my finger nails, sometimes to the point of bleeding in the case of the former two.

I wouldn't say I'm nearly as high on the autistic scale as this test might suggest (re-taking it two more times, I got 47 again and then 46), but without a professional diagnosis, I'll just leave it as me being weird [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

gach
MVP
MVP

Re: ASD in Online Communities

Post by gach » 31 May 2015 10:31

qwed117 wrote:
clawgrip wrote:
For the question "I am fascinated by numbers" I gave the answer "definitely disagree" In other words, I don't know what you're talking about. Please explain!
R-value is association of a number to a linear (note, not r^x, not r^2, just r) data set, it wouldn't be the best for a system that can't be measured continuously. P-value is accuracy in percent wrong.
A slight correction is in place here.

The r-value typically refers to the linear Pearson correlation coefficient. It measures the linear dependence between any two variables where their simultaneous values can be correlated. More complex correlation between variables is of course also possible but it's missed by the Pearson coefficient. For this purpose other higher order correlation coefficients have been defined.

P-values are associated with the immensely popular null hypothesis significance testing of classical statistics. What they measure is the probability that some test statistic (set by the test construction and often quite an arbitrary thing) reaches equal or higher values than what is calculated from the data simply through pure random fluctuations under some null hypothesis (typically chosen as a "no observed effect" alternate for your scientific proposition). Thus, they provide a measure of how consistent the data is to the null hypothesis. Note that they specifically don't say anything about your alternate hypothesis nor can they give you the probability that the null hypothesis is true or false. It really is a complex issue and consequently the majority of people using significance testing work under some misconception of how to interpret the results and what questions can calculating a p-value even give an answer to.

This was off topic, sorry for that. If people have more interest in venting about bad practices in statistics, we can absolutely start a new thread for that. I've had to do a fair amount of statistics in my research for years and have some baggage from my experiences.

Click
darkness
darkness

Post by Click » 31 May 2015 21:16

I got 9/50. I feel weird here. [D;]

kilenc
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kilenc » 01 Jun 2015 00:51

Click wrote:I got 9/50. I feel weird here. [D;]
fear not! i only got a 7.
eventually ill work out a good conlang :)

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 01 Jun 2015 01:09

kilenc wrote:
Click wrote:I got 9/50. I feel weird here. [D;]
fear not! i only got a 7.
I think the majority of us will get less than <24
Spoiler:

Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval » 01 Jun 2015 01:16

Then I have just barely escaped normality (24). [}:D]
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 01 Jun 2015 01:20

Micamo wrote:
kilenc wrote:i agree with some of the other posters, that youre basing a lot of this on stereotypes and some online survey. i dont think you can accurately make a professional medical diagnosis based on fleeting interactions with someone on an internet board. so i have no reason to doubt ahzoh or anyone elses diagnoses.

even if i did have a reason, confronting that person about it seems more rude than its worth being. after all, why does it harm you in any way if ahzoh has been diagnosed with autism and doesnt have it? its really not anything that involves you.
Because being autistic on the internet is like being a "fake geek girl." Discussions about your experiences somehow have to be accompanied with proof that you're "real", or you'll get shouted down by certain people with bizzare complexes about it.

Anyway: Since this has become a "post your number" thread, I got 41.
I'd disagree, it's more like being a "console gamer master race". You probably show ineptitude in doing it, but once every 1000 blue moons, there's a single person who understands how console games are different from computer games, and actually make note of that.
Spoiler:
gach wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
clawgrip wrote:
A slight correction is in place here.

The r-value typically refers to the linear Pearson correlation coefficient. It measures the linear dependence between any two variables where their simultaneous values can be correlated. More complex correlation between variables is of course also possible but it's missed by the Pearson coefficient. For this purpose other higher order correlation coefficients have been defined.

P-values are associated with the immensely popular null hypothesis significance testing of classical statistics. What they measure is the probability that some test statistic (set by the test construction and often quite an arbitrary thing) reaches equal or higher values than what is calculated from the data simply through pure random fluctuations under some null hypothesis (typically chosen as a "no observed effect" alternate for your scientific proposition). Thus, they provide a measure of how consistent the data is to the null hypothesis. Note that they specifically don't say anything about your alternate hypothesis nor can they give you the probability that the null hypothesis is true or false. It really is a complex issue and consequently the majority of people using significance testing work under some misconception of how to interpret the results and what questions can calculating a p-value even give an answer to.

This was off topic, sorry for that. If people have more interest in venting about bad practices in statistics, we can absolutely start a new thread for that. I've had to do a fair amount of statistics in my research for years and have some baggage from my experiences.
I'm an overbearing 13 year old. I haven't taken Calc yet. [;)] (Thank god for emoticons and emoji)
Spoiler:

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 01 Jun 2015 01:44

So, how should I answer the question "I find social situations easy"?
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 01 Jun 2015 01:54

Khemehekis wrote:So, how should I answer the question "I find social situations easy"?
1. Slap table in outrage
2. Spend five minutes arguing with computer screen over what they could possibly mean by 1) "social situation" and 2) "easy" -- I mean, easy as compared to what, a root canal? What kind of social situation, a rave? A Quaker meeting?
3. Shout into screen, cursing all on-line personality test question writers for a) making all their questions so bloody imprecise and b) making no provision for ambivalent answers as well as no provision for multi-part answers that address fourteen different types of, e.g., "social situation" and the sliding scale of "ease"
4. Select answer "D", "definitely disagree".

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 01 Jun 2015 01:56

elemtilas wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:So, how should I answer the question "I find social situations easy"?
1. Slap table in outrage
2. Spend five minutes arguing with computer screen over what they could possibly mean by 1) "social situation" and 2) "easy" -- I mean, easy as compared to what, a root canal? What kind of social situation, a rave? A Quaker meeting?
3. Shout into screen, cursing all on-line personality test question writers for a) making all their questions so bloody imprecise and b) making no provision for ambivalent answers as well as no provision for multi-part answers that address fourteen different types of, e.g., "social situation" and the sliding scale of "ease"
4. Select answer "D", "definitely disagree".

Oh. "26", for whatever little the random number generated at the end of the quiz may mean.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan

Post by HoskhMatriarch » 01 Jun 2015 01:59

I got a 26, but so many of the questions were so ambiguous, and "what kind of theatre: Hollywood, arthouse, "foreign films", which country's "foreign films", Broadway, opera, Italian opera, German opera, all other counties' operas, Theatre of the Absurd, Shakespearean theatre... and for that matter, what kind of museum? Dinosaur museum, art museum, history museum, museum for a specific person, which specific person..." should probably be the last of my questions, considering all the questions about generic social situations and "chitchat"...
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 01 Jun 2015 02:04

After selecting "Definitely disagree" on question 11, I got these results:

Your score was 24 out of a possible 50.

Scores in the 0 - 25 range indicate little or no Autistic traits.

My assessment thereof? I would say that's accurate. I can read facial expressions and tone of voice normally. I don't have hang-ups about having to interact with other people. I don't have a special interest. There's nothing in the world that interests me so much I feel tempted to go on and on about it when I speak (not even conworlding). I'm a good conversationalist who doesn't feel the need to resort to trains or computers or Pokémon or whatever (but then again, I don't have a special interest) when I don't have anything to talk about. Oh, and I can't stand routine.
♂♥♂♀