What are you studying? / What is your job?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
Ketumak
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 32
Joined: 31 Dec 2014 20:50
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by Ketumak » 26 Mar 2016 21:25

I studied Philosophy. Someone from my home village once drily observed, "There's not much call for philosophers round here". They were right of course, and I ended up studying some more to become a librarian.

After a couple of long-distance moves though, I've wound up cataloguing books in the Romance languages, so I get to use my languages. [:)]
Good: :fra: :esp: :por: | OK :ita:

Mohai

User avatar
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek
Posts: 621
Joined: 15 Feb 2016 06:10
Location: Northern California

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 27 Mar 2016 16:54

^I've considered maybe studying philosophy alongside linguistics. I'm sure I will be met with people who tell me both subjects are pointless and lead to nothing. Of course around here everyone wants to work for Google and Facebook. I wouldn't mind being a professor or a librarian, though. Any job that involves lots of books is fine by me ;)
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4546
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by Creyeditor » 27 Mar 2016 17:04

I'm studying linguistics. I guess if you are commited and dedicated to your studies and work, there is at least a small chance here that you may get some money later on.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7750
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by Lambuzhao » 27 Mar 2016 17:32

Whoops; did not say what I studied in college (U/Fac):

Undergraduate: Political Science major, double-minor in History & :lat:.

Post-Bac: Classical Studies, but veered toward Linguistics/Historical Grammar whenever possible.

Masters: Secondary Ed, World Language (L2 Acquisition)concentration . I also took a boatload of grad-level :esp: classes, and whenever possible, in :esp: Linguistics, Historical Linguistics, & Dialectology.

:mrgreen:

User avatar
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic
Posts: 307
Joined: 29 Jan 2012 10:22

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by prettydragoon » 28 Mar 2016 17:52

I'm an accountant. This is what I do for fun.
Image
♀♥♀
I too have a minicity.

User avatar
Xing
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5311
Joined: 22 Aug 2010 17:46

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by Xing » 28 Mar 2016 21:41

Undergratuate: Degree in philosophy, with additional courses in political sciences and Hebrew. Graduate: Archival sciences, which led me to my current job as an archivist.

User avatar
Ketumak
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 32
Joined: 31 Dec 2014 20:50
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by Ketumak » 29 Mar 2016 13:58

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:^I've considered maybe studying philosophy alongside linguistics.
There are philosophers with a strong interest in language, of course, and I've known a couple of people take degrees in philosophy and linguistics and enjoy them. So, on the face of it, it sounds like a good choice to me.
Good: :fra: :esp: :por: | OK :ita:

Mohai

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 11461
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by shimobaatar » 13 Jul 2016 00:52

I'm going to college later this summer. As of right now, I plan to major in linguistics, and possibly anthropology as well, if possible.

User avatar
k1234567890y
runic
runic
Posts: 3008
Joined: 04 Jan 2014 04:47
Contact:

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by k1234567890y » 13 Jul 2016 03:51

both of my undergraduate degree and poatgraduate degree had little to do with linguistics or anthropology, my postgraduate degree was mathematics and my graduate thesis had nothing to do with linguistics.

also I have no job now, and I am not going to seek for full-time one, I am only interested in part-time work-at-home jobs now. The only job I have ever done is part-time translator translating texts from Chinese to English and it only lasted about 3 months...
...

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4406
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by qwed117 » 13 Jul 2016 05:32

I just finished my first year of high school. I'm still not really sure where I want to go. Polysci/Law is once possibility, Micro/Bioethics is another. Linguistics/History is not in the board unfortunately
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman
Posts: 960
Joined: 14 May 2016 10:59
Location: SW England

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by OTʜᴇB » 13 Jul 2016 13:54

I finished Secondary School in early June and start College in September. I'll be doing Maths, further Maths, Physics, and Computing. I'm also looking into training in Classical composition. I want to be able to write a Symphony. I've been writing since I was 5 but have only really got into orchestral stuff last week. I went from Dubstep to Shostakovich in 2 days [xD].
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3362
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by elemtilas » 13 Jul 2016 18:15

OTheB wrote:I finished Secondary School in early June and start College in September. I'll be doing Maths, further Maths, Physics, and Computing. I'm also looking into training in Classical composition. I want to be able to write a Symphony. I've been writing since I was 5 but have only really got into orchestral stuff last week. I went from Dubstep to Shostakovich in 2 days [xD].
Have you considered what kind of music(s) the speakers of your invented language have in their culture?
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
kiwikami
mind
mind
Posts: 1334
Joined: 26 May 2012 16:24
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by kiwikami » 13 Jul 2016 19:20

Entering my senior year of college this fall - majoring in linguistics, minoring in psychology and cognitive science. Going to go on to a PhD program in linguistics, but I'm rather indecisive as to where. I've been employed for a couple of years as a research assistant to one of my linguistics professors (and for one year as a research assistant to another professor at the same time... they didn't seem to like each other much, which made it all quite amusing), but those are very much part-time dabblings in the wide world of "jobs" (a world I feel remarkably unprepared to enter as of yet; thank goodness for grad school).

I have a feeling I'm going to end up working either in psycholinguistics or on the natural language processing and artificial intelligence side of things. We'll see. There's plenty of time to change my mind and decide my true calling is elsewhere. (Like particle physics. Which I love dearly. Hm.)
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

User avatar
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman
Posts: 960
Joined: 14 May 2016 10:59
Location: SW England

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by OTʜᴇB » 13 Jul 2016 19:35

elemtilas wrote:
OTheB wrote:I finished Secondary School in early June and start College in September. I'll be doing Maths, further Maths, Physics, and Computing. I'm also looking into training in Classical composition. I want to be able to write a Symphony. I've been writing since I was 5 but have only really got into orchestral stuff last week. I went from Dubstep to Shostakovich in 2 days [xD].
Have you considered what kind of music(s) the speakers of your invented language have in their culture?
No as my language is not linked to a culture. I would be interested in creating a conworld though as I think it would be quite entertaining. Besides, none of my languages would really be valid as natlangs for a developed culture as they're too orderly and with no special rules or exceptions or irregular words.
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

User avatar
gach
MVP
MVP
Posts: 716
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 00:26
Location: displaced from Helsinki

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by gach » 13 Jul 2016 20:09

As this thread got bumped back up, it's maybe good to celebrate here that I accepted today a postdoc position in Göttingen (in solar and stellar physics). That's only one and a half months away so let's hope that the housing situation isn't too bad there.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4406
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by qwed117 » 13 Jul 2016 20:13

gach wrote:As this thread got bumped back up, it's maybe good to celebrate here that I accepted today a postdoc position in Göttingen (in solar and stellar physics). That's only one and a half months away so let's hope that the housing situation isn't too bad there.
Congrats (or as the poorly translated Korean Picross app on my phone says "Conglats")
[:D]
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 11461
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by shimobaatar » 13 Jul 2016 22:48

gach wrote:As this thread got bumped back up, it's maybe good to celebrate here that I accepted today a postdoc position in Göttingen (in solar and stellar physics). That's only one and a half months away so let's hope that the housing situation isn't too bad there.
Congratulations! Hopefully the housing situation will be good.

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4546
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: What are you studying? / What is your job?

Post by Creyeditor » 14 Jul 2016 19:07

kiwikami wrote:Entering my senior year of college this fall - majoring in linguistics, minoring in psychology and cognitive science. Going to go on to a PhD program in linguistics, but I'm rather indecisive as to where. I've been employed for a couple of years as a research assistant to one of my linguistics professors (and for one year as a research assistant to another professor at the same time... they didn't seem to like each other much, which made it all quite amusing), but those are very much part-time dabblings in the wide world of "jobs" (a world I feel remarkably unprepared to enter as of yet; thank goodness for grad school).

I have a feeling I'm going to end up working either in psycholinguistics or on the natural language processing and artificial intelligence side of things. We'll see. There's plenty of time to change my mind and decide my true calling is elsewhere. (Like particle physics. Which I love dearly. Hm.)
Well, I do not know what you're interests are, but I know of a PhD program in formal linguistics in Germany.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

Post Reply