On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Locked
SolarisCBB
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 5
Joined: 23 Jul 2015 14:26

On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by SolarisCBB » 02 Jun 2016 04:12

Can someone seriously tell him to stop? He'll just bump years old insignificant posts and flood the front pages. Just wanting to bring it to attention. It's really fucking annoying.

Ælfwine
greek
greek
Posts: 843
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 00:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Ælfwine » 02 Jun 2016 04:22

Well at least there's a bit more activity than usual...
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 191
Joined: 30 May 2016 05:51

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by shanoxilt » 02 Jun 2016 04:24

Ælfwine wrote:Well at least there's a bit more activity than usual...
Seriously. This place was a graveyard.

Image
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

User avatar
Linguifex
roman
roman
Posts: 950
Joined: 03 Aug 2012 07:07
Location: Ohio

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Linguifex » 02 Jun 2016 04:27

Ælfwine wrote:Well at least there's a bit more activity than usual...
The CBB was plenty active before this. Most of the front page here, even excluding shanoxilt's reposts, is from the past couple of days.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.0
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Ælfwine
greek
greek
Posts: 843
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 00:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Ælfwine » 02 Jun 2016 04:29

shanoxilt wrote:
Ælfwine wrote:Well at least there's a bit more activity than usual...
Seriously. This place was a graveyard.

Image
Digging bodies up isn't the answer though.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 191
Joined: 30 May 2016 05:51

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by shanoxilt » 02 Jun 2016 04:36

Ælfwine wrote:Digging bodies up isn't the answer though.
A topic isn't dead just because nobody is discussing it. That's the first thing you learn in philosophy.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

SolarisCBB
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 5
Joined: 23 Jul 2015 14:26

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by SolarisCBB » 02 Jun 2016 04:44

shanoxilt wrote:
Ælfwine wrote:Digging bodies up isn't the answer though.
A topic isn't dead just because nobody is discussing it. That's the first thing you learn in philosophy.
This isn't fucking philosophy, this is a conlanging billboard.

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4406
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by qwed117 » 02 Jun 2016 05:05

SolarisCBB wrote:
shanoxilt wrote:
Ælfwine wrote:Digging bodies up isn't the answer though.
A topic isn't dead just because nobody is discussing it. That's the first thing you learn in philosophy.
This isn't fucking philosophy, this is a conlanging billboard.
I find it unreasonable to hate shanoxilt's actions, even if it may be on a conlanging bulletin board. Part of why the board is dead is that many of the teen+college conlangers are studying absurdly heavily for finals, and have little to no time to conlang. This is a natural cycle. You can't interrupt it
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Keenir
runic
runic
Posts: 2556
Joined: 22 May 2012 02:05

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Keenir » 02 Jun 2016 05:06

shanoxilt wrote:
Ælfwine wrote:Digging bodies up isn't the answer though.
A topic isn't dead just because nobody is discussing it. That's the first thing you learn in philosophy.
If they aren't dead, then they're hibernating - and you should never awaken a hibernating thread unless you honestly seriously intend to take part in that discussion.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

User avatar
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 191
Joined: 30 May 2016 05:51

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by shanoxilt » 02 Jun 2016 05:12

Keenir wrote: If they aren't dead, then they're hibernating - and you should never awaken a hibernating thread unless you honestly seriously intend to take part in that discussion.
I do intend, but nobody is discussing but instead kvetching.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

User avatar
Linguifex
roman
roman
Posts: 950
Joined: 03 Aug 2012 07:07
Location: Ohio

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Linguifex » 02 Jun 2016 05:14

shanoxilt wrote:
Keenir wrote: If they aren't dead, then they're hibernating - and you should never awaken a hibernating thread unless you honestly seriously intend to take part in that discussion.
I do intend, but nobody is discussing but instead kvetching.
Perhaps you should take that as a sign that mass-necroing old threads with little commentary isn't exactly encouraged here (or on the ZBB, for that matter).
qwed117 wrote:I find it unreasonable to hate shanoxilt's actions, even if it may be on a conlanging bulletin board. Part of why the board is dead is that many of the teen+college conlangers are studying absurdly heavily for finals, and have little to no time to conlang. This is a natural cycle. You can't interrupt it
How is the board dead? It's plenty active. And he's necroing a bunch of threads with little to no commentary. I'd classify that as disruptive.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.0
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Keenir
runic
runic
Posts: 2556
Joined: 22 May 2012 02:05

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Keenir » 02 Jun 2016 05:15

shanoxilt wrote:
Keenir wrote: If they aren't dead, then they're hibernating - and you should never awaken a hibernating thread unless you honestly seriously intend to take part in that discussion.
I do intend, but nobody is discussing but instead kvetching.
really? you intended to take part in discussions in all - how many threads? - that you bumped to the first page?

and its not kvetching when such a large number of threads are bumped all at once.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2192
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 08:36
Location: California über alles

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Khemehekis » 02 Jun 2016 06:53

Right, the problem here isn't the age of the threads Shanoxilt is responding to, but the sheer volume of one-line responses all at one time. As House Rule #4 goes, "Don't make posts just for the sake of making posts".

That being said, Shanoxilt seems to show an impressive knowledge of a wide range of conlangs.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 58,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

User avatar
Egerius
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2412
Joined: 12 Sep 2013 20:29
Location: Not Rodentèrra
Contact:

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Egerius » 02 Jun 2016 06:59

I agree with Keenir. Although I because of him I now know that we have THREE separate threads on "How did you start conlanging/what got you started/intersted in it". The moderators should merge them to reduce cluttering a little.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

User avatar
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 191
Joined: 30 May 2016 05:51

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by shanoxilt » 02 Jun 2016 07:10

Khemehekis wrote: That being said, Shanoxilt seems to show an impressive knowledge of a wide range of conlangs.
Thank you.

I tend to be a fan of intentional/invented languages in general, especially ones with an interesting premise. So, what do you think will be the next big language (besides Dothraki, of course)?
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2192
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 08:36
Location: California über alles

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Khemehekis » 02 Jun 2016 07:13

shanoxilt wrote:Thank you.
You're welcome.
I tend to be a fan of intentional/invented languages in general, especially ones with an interesting premise. So, what do you think will be the next big language (besides Dothraki, of course)?
I would put my money on Siu,a (there's a hook of some sort under the U), an a fictional language invented by this board's very own MONOBA. As a matter of fact, this month's Fiat Lingua article is about Siu,a:

http://fiatlingua.org/wp-content/upload ... 039-00.pdf
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 58,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

User avatar
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 191
Joined: 30 May 2016 05:51

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by shanoxilt » 02 Jun 2016 07:28

Khemehekis wrote: I would put my money on Siu,a (there's a hook of some sort under the U), an a fictional language invented by this board's very own MONOBA. As a matter of fact, this month's Fiat Lingua article is about Siu,a:
Do they post on Reddit? The name "Siwa" is very familiar to me despite never having read this particular article.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2192
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 08:36
Location: California über alles

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Khemehekis » 02 Jun 2016 07:31

shanoxilt wrote:
Khemehekis wrote: I would put my money on Siu,a (there's a hook of some sort under the U), an a fictional language invented by this board's very own MONOBA. As a matter of fact, this month's Fiat Lingua article is about Siu,a:
Do they post on Reddit? The name "Siwa" is very familiar to me despite never having read this particular article.
I don't know whether MONOBA (his real name is Étienne so he must be a guy) posts on Reddit, but his conlang is legendary on this board. It has one of the most detailed grammars ever for an artlang. But as for the name "Siwa", you may just be thinking of the Berber language by this name.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 58,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

User avatar
Ossicone
moderator
moderator
Posts: 3695
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 04:20
Location: I've heard it both ways.
Contact:

Re: On the subject of Shanoxilt's bumping of old posts.

Post by Ossicone » 02 Jun 2016 17:49

Modicone: I had noticed the spree of necroing but decided it was okay.
Necroing isn't against the rules, and I don't want to punish anyone for showing interest.

However, in the future though, please be a bit more selective in what threads you're raising from the dead. I don't mind a couple of necros, but more than 3 in a week does get annoying.

Locked