The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by sangi39 » 19 Sep 2017 03:51

Ahzoh wrote:Gah, I find it so hard to come up with good exonyms for my languages.
Just come up with placeholders for the moment. One the captures the phonetics of the "naming" language while still relating to the "referred" language. If you want to change the name later on to something you feel is more fitting and something settled, then do so, but you can stick with the placeholder for as long as you wish (maybe even back-tracking a little on it and coming up with an etymology for it as you go).

As of yet, I haven't come up with a single etymology for any of the names of either language groups or place names that I've used (unless I've just given the "English translation" first) with the plan being that I'd either make them exonyms or ednonyms as I went along. Ther's nothing stopping you doing the same [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 19 Sep 2017 04:04

Ahzoh wrote:Gah, I find it so hard to come up with good exonyms for my languages.
I seem to have the reverse problem. I come up with good exonyms first (like "Lihmelinyan") then have trouble coming up with good endonyms ("Ineta" is alright I guess) :P
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 19 Sep 2017 04:22

sangi39 wrote:
Just come up with placeholders for the moment. One the captures the phonetics of the "naming" language while still relating to the "referred" language. If you want to change the name later on to something you feel is more fitting and something settled, then do so, but you can stick with the placeholder for as long as you wish (maybe even back-tracking a little on it and coming up with an etymology for it as you go).

As of yet, I haven't come up with a single etymology for any of the names of either language groups or place names that I've used (unless I've just given the "English translation" first) with the plan being that I'd either make them exonyms or ednonyms as I went along. Ther's nothing stopping you doing the same [:)]
Wait no, my problem is coming up with what the endonyms mean.
As it is, I have several endonyms for various countries organized by language family, but only three of them have established meanings:
West Charric:
Yatvṛḵaža - The Great Land
Ḷiggiza -

East Charric:
Hēḏuānā - The Windward Side of a Mountain

Central Charric:
Hämma - The Valley of The River
Paqunna -
Ederakḳa -

North East Charric
Mōārċā -

Hmm, I wonder if the descendants of the Charric languages will all share the same naming theme, such as Central Charric and its (original) proximity to a very large river.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 19 Sep 2017 04:29

Ahzoh wrote:
sangi39 wrote:

Wait no, my problem is coming up with what the endonyms mean.
As it is, I have several endonyms for various countries organized by language family, but only three of them have established meanings:
West Charric:
Yatvṛḵaža - The Great Land
Ḷiggiza -

East Charric:
Hēḏuānā - The Windward Side of a Mountain

Central Charric:
Hämma - The Valley of The River
Paqunna -
Ederakḳa -

North East Charric
Mōārċā -

Hmm, I wonder if the descendants of the Charric languages will all share the same naming theme, such as Central Charric and its (original) proximity to a very large river.
Oh you can come up with them as you go. Some of them might not even be readily traceable, which happens often enough in the real world.
Just one time.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 19 Sep 2017 04:55

Haxyakian the proto language has at least 7 different words for river and 5 different words for land, so I could work with that:
xyāgyatē - river
òḥǧazē - river
mḗgċirē - river
léṡqīā - river
iżṓipē - river
kā́ikiā - river
háhākśē - river

cánixē - land
yā́itā - land
íkuċśā - land
ehtùā - land
sə̀mohdā - land
Last edited by Ahzoh on 19 Sep 2017 05:32, edited 2 times in total.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 19 Sep 2017 05:21

sangi39 wrote: Oh you can come up with them as you go. Some of them might not even be readily traceable, which happens often enough in the real world.
That's the excuse I use for mine :mrgreen: I often come up with place names that sound pleasant or interesting before I think about what they mean. Since many toponyms and the like have obscure origins in natlangs, I figure it's not too much of a stretch to leave the etymology obscure.
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 19 Sep 2017 20:05

hello all ;-; I finally am back
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!

kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » 19 Sep 2017 23:04

k1234567890y wrote:hello all ;-; I finally am back
Re-greetings!
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » 20 Sep 2017 00:05

Fare not ye well.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 21 Sep 2017 00:48

So for the first time ever, I've asked somebody out on a date... Thank god they said "yes" [:P]

Now all we have to do is find a day that works for both of us and then I need to figure out what people do on first dates, lol. And what to wear. And how I should have my hair. PANIC!
Just one time.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 21 Sep 2017 01:14

My problem is knowing the appropriate time to ask someone out, especially if they're complete strangers.

DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » 21 Sep 2017 01:36

Ahzoh wrote:My problem is knowing the appropriate time to ask someone out, especially if they're complete strangers.
The best time is normally just after you get them to smile.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 21 Sep 2017 01:46

DesEsseintes wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:My problem is knowing the appropriate time to ask someone out, especially if they're complete strangers.
My advice would be awful here. A lot of "progress" in my life has involved at least some amount of alcohol. I met my now ex-wife when we were both really drunk, I came out as bi after a few drinks, I came out as having depression and anxiety drunk, and I asked this person out after having a couple of three or four shots of whisky.

Alcohol, of course, has some fairly big downsides as well, so it's best not to use it as a sort of social crutch, so I'm never going to tell anyone "oh, just have a drink first". You can do as much harm as good after a drink or two.

I'd say getting them to smile, though, might actually be good advice, and a pre-existing level of interaction is never a bad idea. I finally took the plunge here because of something that happened when I went into work to do a bit of shopping. I don't know, I guess asking someone you like out on a date can effectively just be a test of "hey, would you like to be more than friends?". If they say "no", then oh well, no loss, you've still got a friend there and you know where they stand. If they say "yes", then awesome, you get to try out something new with someone.

This being the first time I've ever asked anyone out, though, I'm really not going to be the best source of advice [:P]
Just one time.

DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » 21 Sep 2017 03:06

sangi39 wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:
My advice would be awful here. A lot of "progress" in my life has involved at least some amount of alcohol. I met my now ex-wife when we were both really drunk, I came out as bi after a few drinks, I came out as having depression and anxiety drunk, and I asked this person out after having a couple of three or four shots of whisky.

Alcohol, of course, has some fairly big downsides as well, so it's best not to use it as a sort of social crutch, so I'm never going to tell anyone "oh, just have a drink first". You can do as much harm as good after a drink or two.
I'm pretty sure alcohol is the greatest matchmaker in the history of mankind.
I'd say getting them to smile, though, might actually be good advice, and a pre-existing level of interaction is never a bad idea.
The last thing you want is to make the whole thing sound like a "plan" or a business proposition. Don't let the other person weigh the options. Make the other person feel good about themselves. That way, they'll think going out with you will bring more of this glowy misconception that they're wonderful.
I finally took the plunge here because of something that happened when I went into work to do a bit of shopping. I don't know, I guess asking someone you like out on a date can effectively just be a test of "hey, would you like to be more than friends?". If they say "no", then oh well, no loss, you've still got a friend there and you know where they stand. If they say "yes", then awesome, you get to try out something new with someone.

This being the first time I've ever asked anyone out, though, I'm really not going to be the best source of advice [:P]
So is it a laddie or a lass this time, eh, Sangi?

Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » 21 Sep 2017 03:31

sangi39 wrote:Now all we have to do is find a day that works for both of us and then I need to figure out what people do on first dates, lol. And what to wear. And how I should have my hair. PANIC!
Instead of doing dinner—where you're forced to interact and make conversation—or a movie/play—where you don't have that much interaction—I would recommend some sort of activity to do together. I've heard of bowling as being a decent first-date sort of thing, because you can be nice and casual while also talking and getting to know each other a little.

But, I also dated very sporadically in college (which largely consisted in spending time in each other's rooms), I didn't exactly date much out of college, and my spouse and I had our first semi-date watching a movie at my place; and then our second semi-date at midnight at a Waffle House, sooooo....I might not be the best source on that one.

As for what to wear, again I suggest casual, and having your hair the way you usually wear it. Dressing up for a first date like it's a job interview is just kind of weird. And aggressively casual is also kind of weird. If I were to for some strange reason be in a position to go on a first date again, I'd probably wear the same sort of thing I'd wear when giving a talk at a tech conference, maybe a step under.

>NaCl<

(a pinch of salt)
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 21 Sep 2017 03:33

DesEsseintes wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:

I'm pretty sure alcohol is the greatest matchmaker in the history of mankind.
It's the foundation of most of the relationships going on in my friendship group, lol [:P]

DesEsseintes wrote:
I'd say getting them to smile, though, might actually be good advice, and a pre-existing level of interaction is never a bad idea.
The last thing you want is to make the whole thing sound like a "plan" or a business proposition. Don't let the other person weigh the options. Make the other person feel good about themselves. That way, they'll think going out with you will bring more of this glowy misconception that they're wonderful.
Presenting them with a happy thought at the right moment, I suppose [:)]

DesEsseintes wrote:
I finally took the plunge here because of something that happened when I went into work to do a bit of shopping. I don't know, I guess asking someone you like out on a date can effectively just be a test of "hey, would you like to be more than friends?". If they say "no", then oh well, no loss, you've still got a friend there and you know where they stand. If they say "yes", then awesome, you get to try out something new with someone.

So is it a laddie or a lass this time, eh, Sangi?
Haha, another lass this time [:P] I'd been talking to a couple of guys online as well, but after what had happened at work, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to ask her out. I wasn't sure if she was being nice, or if it meant something more, but for the first time ever, I felt confident enough to find out.
Just one time.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 21 Sep 2017 03:44

Axiem wrote:
sangi39 wrote:Now all we have to do is find a day that works for both of us and then I need to figure out what people do on first dates, lol. And what to wear. And how I should have my hair. PANIC!
Instead of doing dinner—where you're forced to interact and make conversation—or a movie/play—where you don't have that much interaction—I would recommend some sort of activity to do together. I've heard of bowling as being a decent first-date sort of thing, because you can be nice and casual while also talking and getting to know each other a little.

But, I also dated very sporadically in college (which largely consisted in spending time in each other's rooms), I didn't exactly date much out of college, and my spouse and I had our first semi-date watching a movie at my place; and then our second semi-date at midnight at a Waffle House, sooooo....I might not be the best source on that one.

As for what to wear, again I suggest casual, and having your hair the way you usually wear it. Dressing up for a first date like it's a job interview is just kind of weird. And aggressively casual is also kind of weird. If I were to for some strange reason be in a position to go on a first date again, I'd probably wear the same sort of thing I'd wear when giving a talk at a tech conference, maybe a step under.

>NaCl<

(a pinch of salt)
Sounds about right for college/uni. For the first three months I was seeing my now ex-wife we'd just hang out at hers. Our first "date" was watching Hellboy 2 in the cinema then having take-away.

This would be my first date before the start of a potential relationship, which is, I guess, where the panic is coming from.

I'd ruled out the cinema already here because, like you said, there's little opportunity to talk. She does enjoy a few places around here where you can walk around (a local arboretum, for example), but with the autumn weather setting in that might be an iffy choice. If the weather's nice, though, it would be my favourite option [:)]
Just one time.

Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » 21 Sep 2017 04:14

Yes, going for a walk somewhere also works. Maybe an art gallery or something like that? It gives you interesting things to talk about, but without the imposition of "no talking" like you'd have at a movie.

First date of feeling out whether or not there's actually any chemistry is a really awkward one. Just don't apply any pressure or anything on what you might expect to happen, and realize that they're searching for chemistry as much as you are, and it's totally okay if there isn't any. You can still be friendly and polite. And do be honest; if it doesn't click, then instead of promising to call or text or whatever, just say "while this was fun, it felt more like a friends thing than a date thing" or something.

Again, >NaCl<, because I also know nothing of British dating culture (if it differs at all from Midwest American dating culture), nor of any of the particulars of your situation.

Best of luck, either way. We're rooting for you, whatever that ends up meaning in this context :)
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 21 Sep 2017 06:31

There's also different dating cultures??

Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 21 Sep 2017 06:40

Presumably.

I mean, different regions of the country have different ideas of polite behavior to some degree. It follows that they would also have perhaps slightly different methods of courting/dating. From there, it seems likely that different countries would likewise differ.