The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by qwed117 » 02 Oct 2017 05:15

Khemehekis wrote:
qwed117 wrote: First things first, AQ is still a thing??? I haven't touched it in ages. Also, isn't playing videogames now the hip/jock thing to do?
Since we were talking about Farouche's claim to have Asperger's, I actually thought at first that by "AQ" you meant Autism Quotient. It took me several seconds to figure out you meant AdventureQuest.

Yes, Aaron plays it. On our computer. He'll say things like, "I'm kicking his ass" or "I'm getting my ass handed to me", and then when I don't respond to one of his statements about his game, he'll say, "James", and I'll say, "Oh, OK".
That's hilarious, beyond belief. Not too sure if I understand who's who, but from what I understand "Farouche" is the many-langs dude? Sounds like someone who used to come on this forum...
Khemehekis wrote: Video games as the hip/jock thing to do? Maybe Guitar Hero is hip. And maybe GTA is jock. Something like World of Warcraft, on the other hand . . .
Secondly, isn't "nerd" just a pejorative term for someone more engaged in studies than the speaker. That's the way it's used out here.
Mmmmm, that's an accurate use of it. But I hear many people use "nerd" for people who live in their parents' basement playing World of Warcraft.
Hmm, I'd usually call those "neckbeards". I've seen people who cannot be described in anyway other than jock talking about Runescape, Overwatch, and WoW. The real "nerd" thing out here on the East Coast is Hearthstone, League and DnD. In some situations that you refer to geeks, I'd just describe as fans or aficionados. I wouldn't say a "Pokemon geek" or a "Hearthstone geek". There's the sort of diverging phrase "to geek out", which is more closer to the Shakespearean geck, acting in an unreasonably excited manner over something considered eccentric.
Khemehekis wrote:
Lastly, NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRD.
Do I get to shout, "NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRD" to you because you used to play AdventureQuest?
Yes, undoubtedly. I shout "nerd" at myself for knowing AQ exists, (although tbh, I'm more of a DragonFable fan (Now you can loudly shout something like "hipster" at me)).
-
I dont think school relationships aren something you can easily graph. It's not an even fight between charcteristics that are diametrically opposite to each other.
It's probably best categorizable into like 17 different types, like "clown" (humor), "nerd" (intelligence), "jock/athlete" (strength), "prep" (charisma), "bully" (violence), etc. The average student probably has a mid rating on all of these, like a goldilocks story. If we are going on a 0-1 scale, I'd say I'm .3, .8, .1, .2, .4, in the order that I listed. That'd probably place me rather solidly in the category of "NERD".

Lot of posts in between.

Khemehekis, I think you and I have exact opposite definitions of nerd and geek. What I call a nerd, you'd call a geek and vice versa.

Nowadays though, Mid California is much more nerdier than the South. North just does its own thing. That map is doing that as well. West Virginia is about as jockdom as you can get. It's goddamn Appalachia.

Quads aren't a thing here on the East Coast outside of colleges. My school doesn't have anywhere outside to eat. Students aren't allowed to enter and leave the building, a rule started after you-know-when.

It's like 240 guinea pig years, 960 brown rat years and a whopping 1920 black rat years. I think...

The plurality of Republicans voted for Donald Trump in California.

"Dork" is worse than "geek" or "nerd"
-

Unrelatedly, the first internet meme I was exposed to was Aqua's Barbie Girl and the various remakes associated on YouTube, around 2006
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 02 Oct 2017 05:47

Khemehekis wrote: Explains, why I, in California, went to a high school with so few nerds. It turns out there are simply not many nerds in California.

Instead, I suppose, we have the blonde beach bimbos and SoCal surfer studs.
California also has this situation where professions maybe once thought of as nerdy (like a computer programmer) are now seen as fairly cool, and thus you have "techbros" ("do you even code, bro" is a thing). But I think this may be mostly a NorCal thing.

I've met a decent number of nerds in high school (as most of my friends are) but they're mostly STEM-nerds. The nerds like me whose primary interests are linguistics, Latin and literature (triple L life) are few and far between. [xD]

My school is also fairly small with only a few hundred kids (and wineries on three sides lol). I don't know what it's like to attend one of those giant high schools with metal detectors and such that you always see in the TV shows.
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » 02 Oct 2017 06:07

qwed117 wrote:
Since we were talking about Farouche's claim to have Asperger's, I actually thought at first that by "AQ" you meant Autism Quotient. It took me several seconds to figure out you meant AdventureQuest.

Yes, Aaron plays it. On our computer. He'll say things like, "I'm kicking his ass" or "I'm getting my ass handed to me", and then when I don't respond to one of his statements about his game, he'll say, "James", and I'll say, "Oh, OK".
That's hilarious, beyond belief. Not too sure if I understand who's who, but from what I understand "Farouche" is the many-langs dude? Sounds like someone who used to come on this forum...
Yes, Farouche is the many-langs dude, a different person from Aaron (who's never posted on a conlanging site, AFAIK).

You mean this guy?
Khemehekis wrote:Mmmmm, that's an accurate use of it. But I hear many people use "nerd" for people who live in their parents' basement playing World of Warcraft.
Hmm, I'd usually call those "neckbeards".
I've heard this term too.
I've seen people who cannot be described in anyway other than jock talking about Runescape, Overwatch, and WoW. The real "nerd" thing out here on the East Coast is Hearthstone, League and DnD. In some situations that you refer to geeks, I'd just describe as fans or aficionados. I wouldn't say a "Pokemon geek" or a "Hearthstone geek". There's the sort of diverging phrase "to geek out", which is more closer to the Shakespearean geck, acting in an unreasonably excited manner over something considered eccentric.
I've never heard of Overwatch or Hearthstone. One of my relatives said my cousin Mike and cousin-once-removed Bennett were "geeking out" over some piece of tecjnology in a Christmas card, so I've read the term. As for D&D, I saw my brother with an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons book, but Pokémon cards and Magic: the Gathering were what was in among the CCG aficionados when I was in school. I don't think I ever saw anyone playing D&D at my high school or college.

Khemehekis wrote: Do I get to shout, "NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRD" to you because you used to play AdventureQuest?
Yes, undoubtedly. I shout "nerd" at myself for knowing AQ exists, (although tbh, I'm more of a DragonFable fan (Now you can loudly shout something like "hipster" at me)).
Aaron likes AdventureQuest, DragonFable AND MechQuest! But why is DragonFable hipster? Because the graphics are retro?
I dont think school relationships aren something you can easily graph. It's not an even fight between charcteristics that are diametrically opposite to each other.
It's probably best categorizable into like 17 different types, like "clown" (humor), "nerd" (intelligence), "jock/athlete" (strength), "prep" (charisma), "bully" (violence), etc. The average student probably has a mid rating on all of these, like a goldilocks story. If we are going on a 0-1 scale, I'd say I'm .3, .8, .1, .2, .4, in the order that I listed. That'd probably place me rather solidly in the category of "NERD".
I picture high school subcultures as on a chart that looks something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Chart

On the axis where the Nolan Chart shows economic issues, I would place public political views. What they believe about gay rights, women's rights, youth rights, drugs, the environment, patriotism, the draft, campaign finance reform, oil, racism, trust in the police, and so on. On the axis where the Nolan Chart shows social issues, I would place personal behavior. The people at the left and top do things like drink, smoke weed, have sex, stay out late, grow their hair long, grow beards, get pierced/tattooed, wear revealing clothes, start garage bands, drink energy drinks, sext, vape, mosh, go to raves, and so on. The people on the right and bottom avoid these things.

On the right of the chart would be preppies -- the clean-cut kids who take AP classes . . . so they can get into a good college . . . so they can get a job in a suit . . . so they can have enough money to raise their family with their (opposite-sex) spouse and 2.5 kids. They are conservative both in political views and in personal behavior.

On the left would be Youth Culturalists -- various groups like trendies, hip-hoppers, slackers, skaters, hippies, goths, emo kids, beatniks, surfers, ravers, hipsters, etc. We are liberal both in political views and in personal behavior.

On the top would be jocks and rednecks. They profess conservative political views, but party hardy.

On the bottom would be nerds. Their views on social issues like homosexuality and drugs are liberal, but they're clean-cut in their everyday lifestyle.

Geeks would be somewhere between nerds and Youth Culturalists. Preps (as in, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle) would be somewhere between Youth Culturalists and jocks.
Khemehekis, I think you and I have exact opposite definitions of nerd and geek. What I call a nerd, you'd call a geek and vice versa.
I'll try to keep this in mind as I'm reading your posts.
Nowadays though, Mid California is much more nerdier than the South.
Because we have Silicon Valley, right?
Quads aren't a thing here on the East Coast outside of colleges. My school doesn't have anywhere outside to eat. Students aren't allowed to enter and leave the building, a rule started after you-know-when.
Columbine, right?

Whoa, all of your high schools don't have quads? The things you learn talking online.
It's like 240 guinea pig years, 960 brown rat years and a whopping 1920 black rat years. I think...
Thank god Egerius isn't really a rodent, or he'd be superannuated indeed!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 02 Oct 2017 06:22

^Regarding the “quad” thing. Part of that is just due to climate. It doesn’t snow here, so our schools are more open and have outdoor hallways. It’s not practical in a place where it snows. (We call ours “the green”, but it’s basically the same idea).

The inverse of this is when I tell people in other parts of the country that my school doesn’t have a “cafeteria” (in fact, no school that I know of around here does, at any grade level), they think that’s the weirdest thing in the world.

Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 02 Oct 2017 10:13

...no cafeteria!? Does everyone bring their own lunch? And where do they eat it?

Our school was smallish, and we weren't allowed to leave the building during lunch except during Exam Week. Also, living in WI, it would be ridiculous to have outdoor hallways. We also didn't have any kind of "quad." In fact, I'm still not totally sure what that is... *Goes to look it up*

Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex » 02 Oct 2017 10:23

Our schools don't have cafeterias, but they do have "canteens", little shops when you can order lunch if you want. Otherwise, plenty of Australian kids bring their lunch to school. Everyone eats outside on steel benches or on the ground.

Everyone has to wear a hat or stay in the shade if they want to go play too; Aussie kids don't generally stay inside during morning tea/recess or lunch.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: :wls: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: : [:S] | :nor: :deu: :rom: :ind: :con: : [:x]
Conlangs: Pofp'ash, Ikwawese, Old Quelgic, Nisukil Pʰakwi, Apsiska

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 02 Oct 2017 11:49

kiwikami wrote:
Egerius wrote:Well, today I turned 24 years old.
Many belated well-wishings!
I'm afraid I've been remiss in cake detail, but there's never a bad time for cake (save, maybe, in the middle of a vicious tequila hangover), so --

道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » 02 Oct 2017 12:31

When I was an exchange student in Germany in high school, everyone ate lunch outside in this huge courtyard that seemingly existed for that purpose only.

Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » 02 Oct 2017 23:40

I matriculated at Selwyn College Cambridge today, so I'm now a member of the university and college basically forever. I don't actually start my linguistics course proper until Thursday I think, but there are official subject-related things I'll be engaging in over the next couple of days, as well as plenty of fresher's stuff, so don't be surprised if I don't post again until like Friday or something.

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » 04 Oct 2017 13:24

Thanks for splitting the thread, Dormouse559.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 04 Oct 2017 17:11

So I had to get blood drawn after my doctor's appointment this morning. Of course I'm dreading it because I hate needles and I hate blood. But it actually went fine, provided that I didn't look at anything that was actually happening. The plan was that afterward I would walk from the lab across a small courtyard to the pharmacy, where my mom was picking up a prescription. No problem, except as soon as I stepped outside I started feeling faint. I was seeing purple dots in my field of vision, my breathing was getting heavier, and I was feeling like I wouldn't be able to stand up any longer. But...the middle-aged man who had been sitting next to me in the lab getting his blood drawn immediately came over to me, prevented me from falling, and helped me lie down on a bench (I never actually lost consciousness, thankfully). He even bought me something to eat at the coffee stand in the middle of the courtyard. Just when current events make me feel worse about humanity, something like this happens. It's just nice to know there are good people out there. It's nice to know strangers are looking out for each other. It doesn't take much [:D]

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » 04 Oct 2017 20:25

Aww, that's nice to hear! I hope you're feeling better. [:)]

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 04 Oct 2017 20:53

Axiem wrote:I also have heard a number of people use the word "dork" in places where I'd normally myself use either "geek" or "nerd".
I'd go with “some of you would call me a “nerd”, which is fine. Others would protest and choose the word “geek” and others, still, would even go so far as to call me a “dork”. It's all describing the same type of person.”
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 04 Oct 2017 21:08

Khemehekis wrote:Happy birthday, Egerius! I hear 24 is awfully old in rodent years . . .
qwed117 wrote:It's like 240 guinea pig years, 960 brown rat years and a whopping 1920 black rat years. I think...
Thank god Egerius isn't really a rodent, or he'd be superannuated indeed!
Ladroman Rodentèrrans have an average life-span of 90 years (=90*386.288*32 earth hours). Chinchillas may live up to 20 earth-years in captivity.

I'm already working on an avatar that is more akin to my real-life likeness. I'm just not the best at drawing, so I'm tracing and modifying some existing artwork on paper. Oh, and I'm not going to do a coloured version this time.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 04 Oct 2017 21:10

shimobaatar wrote:Aww, that's nice to hear! I hope you're feeling better. [:)]
Thank you [:D] Yep, it was a little scary for sure, but I recovered quickly and feeling fine now :)

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 05 Oct 2017 00:49

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:Aww, that's nice to hear! I hope you're feeling better. [:)]
Thank you [:D] Yep, it was a little scary for sure, but I recovered quickly and feeling fine now :)
Great to hear!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » 05 Oct 2017 01:19

I've no idea how I managed to end up with 56kg of luggage. They'll never let me on the plane...

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 05 Oct 2017 03:00

DesEsseintes wrote:I've no idea how I managed to end up with 56kg of luggage.
Books? That's what'd do me in -- books.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 05 Oct 2017 15:13

Lao Kou wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:I've no idea how I managed to end up with 56kg of luggage.
Books? That's what'd do me in -- books.
Weighty words indeed!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 05 Oct 2017 15:56

;-;

I really start to feel that I am not suitable for conworld collaboration...I only want to do what I want and fail to consider the conditions I have and often try to undermine what others want...(selfslap)
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!