The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by k1234567890y » 03 Aug 2018 16:16

elemtilas wrote:
03 Aug 2018 15:54
k1234567890y wrote:
03 Aug 2018 14:03
I feel I need to learn thread-making skills like All4Ɇn and Linguifex do
Go for it!

Just start up a new thread about a world or language or culture. Try every day or every week to add a post: tell a story, talk a little about some aspect of a language, post a picture of a script, describe some interesting tidbit of culture. Discuss any questions that come along. That's really all there is to making a thread.
ok
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 03 Aug 2018 16:18

k1234567890y wrote:
03 Aug 2018 16:16
elemtilas wrote:
03 Aug 2018 15:54
k1234567890y wrote:
03 Aug 2018 14:03
I feel I need to learn thread-making skills like All4Ɇn and Linguifex do
Go for it!

Just start up a new thread about a world or language or culture. Try every day or every week to add a post: tell a story, talk a little about some aspect of a language, post a picture of a script, describe some interesting tidbit of culture. Discuss any questions that come along. That's really all there is to making a thread.
ok
Great! Now go forth and multiplicatively fruitify the CBB with your worlds!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 05 Aug 2018 04:03

In keeping with my habit of playing games two years behind everybody else, I've been playing the new Doom. It is wonderful and I should've been playing it ages ago, because it is exactly the kind of shooter I like: it rewards aggressive gameplay (if you're dying, that's a sign you need to be MORE AGGRESSIVE), encourages you to explore nooks and crannies, and spends precious little time explaining why you're running around Mars mowing down demons. Yes, that's a positive. Way too many games try to overexplain every little thing, when all I really care about is blowing things up. Doomguy doesn't care why the demons are here, and neither do I.

(Incidentally, it also has two of my Weird Signs of a Good Game: it lets you adjust FOV (and has it set to a sensible 90 by default) and it lets you run headlong off cliffs like an idiot. Games that don't let you do either tend to be the hand-holdy we-forgot-PCs-existed type.)

I'm three or four missions in, and so far my only real complaint is that grenades were originally mapped to CTRL. Who uses CTRL as a grenade button and puts crouch on a different button??

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 05 Aug 2018 13:57

alynnidalar wrote:
05 Aug 2018 04:03
In keeping with my habit of playing games two years behind everybody else, I've been playing the new Doom. It is wonderful and I should've been playing it ages ago, because it is exactly the kind of shooter I like: it rewards aggressive gameplay (if you're dying, that's a sign you need to be MORE AGGRESSIVE), encourages you to explore nooks and crannies, and spends precious little time explaining why you're running around Mars mowing down demons. Yes, that's a positive. Way too many games try to overexplain every little thing, when all I really care about is blowing things up. Doomguy doesn't care why the demons are here, and neither do I.

(Incidentally, it also has two of my Weird Signs of a Good Game: it lets you adjust FOV (and has it set to a sensible 90 by default) and it lets you run headlong off cliffs like an idiot. Games that don't let you do either tend to be the hand-holdy we-forgot-PCs-existed type.)

I'm three or four missions in, and so far my only real complaint is that grenades were originally mapped to CTRL. Who uses CTRL as a grenade button and puts crouch on a different button??
Intriguisting ~

I really cannot believe (sort of tickled) that Doom has enjoyed the longevity it has.
It was hands down one of the best shareware games $2-5 could buy back in the 1990s.

It was the perfect counterweight to the very cerebral and no less fun Civilization (which is in it's own 7th or 8th regeneration). :wat:

Doom was the perfect game (next to coin-ops Samurai Showdown, Alien vs Predator and Double Axe) to play after handing in a major report or taking comprehensives for the year - just a BFG blitzkriegfest… and … maybe in a mock-tribute to the Leatherface massacre movies, they even had a chainsaw as a weapon… A CHAINSAW: Good Night, Monsties!!! [}:D]

It was very very different from most Arcade Games, b/c all I can remember was that they were side-scrolling punch/shooters.
Doom, like it's immediate predecessor Wolfenstein 3D, was a 'first person perspective' shooter: much more intense gameplay to be had by all comers.

I also learned about "MODDing" games thru Doom: I absotively plotzed when I learned about a Star Wars mod for Doom 3 !!!
Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!

It was utterly and unrelentingly violent for its time (though, in the aforementioned Samurai Showdown, losing players spewed sprays of blood and could be ginsued in half, and, of course, then there was Mortal Kombat).

I enjoyed it a lot, I got my 9-11 yr old nephews hooked on it and Civ, and , wow, it's come a long way!
[>:D]

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 05 Aug 2018 19:07

Lambuzhao wrote:
05 Aug 2018 13:57
Intriguisting ~

I really cannot believe (sort of tickled) that Doom has enjoyed the longevity it has.
It was hands down one of the best shareware games $2-5 could buy back in the 1990s.

It was the perfect counterweight to the very cerebral and no less fun Civilization (which is in it's own 7th or 8th regeneration). :wat:
8‽‽

The last version I ever remember is 3! Must be in a time wharf or something.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » 05 Aug 2018 21:52

I remember III, and I think I have IV, V, & VI; not that I can play any of them since my computer went tits-up.

Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » 05 Aug 2018 23:40

After several months on Firefox, I'm switching back to using Chrome.

I don't know, it's easier on my eyes.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 06 Aug 2018 20:33

Lambuzhao wrote:
The new one (it came out in 2016) is wonderfully old-school. While I'm too young to have played 90s shooters when they came out, I've played (and loved) a lot of the Half-Life series, which has a very similar feel. (albeit with less gore and more story!) You have these delightful fast-paced segments of demon-murderin' spaced out with slower exploration bits, with plenty of secrets to discover. (and if you're not in a secrets kind of mood and don't feel like thinking, you can plow on ahead to more fighting!) And I am NEVER asked to hide behind cover.

It's still pretty violent, by the way. A major mechanic is "Glory Kills"--once you damage enemies enough, you can get up close and finish them off with a melee attack that involves a lot of tearing asunder and guts. (and medpacks popping out, which is your reward for being aggressive) And the chainsaw is definitely still there!

I think the nostalgia factor definitely helps the game--not many people make classic shooters like this anymore. So for folks who played Doom "back in the day", they get to enjoy the same feel with nicer graphics, and for younger folks, it's something that feels fresh and new.

Oh, and the music~! It's all metal and I love it.

Xonen

Post by Xonen » 06 Aug 2018 20:59

alynnidalar wrote:
05 Aug 2018 04:03
In keeping with my habit of playing games two years behind everybody else, I've been playing the new Doom. It is wonderful and I should've been playing it ages ago
Based on the YouTube videos I've seen, it looks pretty neat, yes. I just got the original Doom about... ten years ago, I think, so I'm probably getting the new one somewhere around 2030.

because it is exactly the kind of shooter I like: it rewards aggressive gameplay (if you're dying, that's a sign you need to be MORE AGGRESSIVE), encourages you to explore nooks and crannies, and spends precious little time explaining why you're running around Mars mowing down demons. Yes, that's a positive. Way too many games try to overexplain every little thing, when all I really care about is blowing things up. Doomguy doesn't care why the demons are here, and neither do I.
Well, Wikipedia tells me they actually hired a professional sci-fi writer to write the plot, so clearly someone at id somewhat cares, at least. [:D] But yeah, at least the original two games had just enough plot to set the mood for each level (or set of levels), and then you didn't have to stop to read or think about additional plot details or instructions while in the thick of it. Which made for a lot of fast action-packed gameplay - and while I can enjoy slower-paced and more intellectually challenging games as well, sometimes you do just want to blow up a bunch demons.

Grenades? Crouching? In a video game? What witchcraft is this?

Oh, and the music~! It's all metal and I love it.
Good to know they've kept it up! The original soundtracks weren't quite all metal, but you could usually tell when stuff was about to get serious.

Lambuzhao wrote:
6th, apparently. Personally, I've been trying to complete my latest game on the 5th before I get it, but all kinds of stupid adult stuff has been getting in the way for the past... two years or so? [:S] Well, I guess that's something to look forward to when I retire.

OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » 06 Aug 2018 21:17

In all the games I play, crouch is on Shfit. Ctrl is normally sprint or some misc movement action because Shift is so much easier to reach than Ctrl when your hand is on ,AOE (or WASD on a qwerty).
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 07 Aug 2018 02:23

Ahhh but sprint should be on SHIFT! (however, in Doom 2016, you're always sprinting and SHIFT is actually the walk button...)

You're not wrong about CTRL being harder to reach, but I played enough HL2 to have its controls permanently ingrained in my head and fingers as the One True Keyboard Layout. [:P]

Interestingly enough, I find myself trying to bring up the weapon switcher with SHIFT all the time... that's what it is in Mass Effect. (another game where I favor the high risk, high reward playstyle)

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 07 Aug 2018 16:58

Woke up this morning to my bedroom bathed in orange light because of wildfire smoke. Every year the wildfires get larger and more destructive. Climate change is depressing [:(]
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 07 Aug 2018 17:43

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
07 Aug 2018 16:58
Woke up this morning to my bedroom bathed in orange light because of wildfire smoke. Every year the wildfires get larger and more destructive. Climate change is depressing [:(]
Climate change has been a fact of, Earth's existence since its formation. We'll be in big trouble if it ever stops changing!

All the same, I hope you're safe and not in immediate (or even not so immediate) danger!

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 07 Aug 2018 17:55

All the same I don't like the changes that are happening now. I want more rain, cooler temperatures, and fewer fires. We're getting the opposite. Hopefully the trend will shift soon.

And thanks, I'm not in any immediate threat this time. Last October was much worse--the fires were only a mile from where I lived (and school was cancelled because of air quality). Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 07 Aug 2018 23:31

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
07 Aug 2018 17:55
All the same I don't like the changes that are happening now. I want more rain, cooler temperatures, and fewer fires. We're getting the opposite. Hopefully the trend will shift soon.
Oh, indeed, the changes are indeed concerning!

I sincerely wish you could have a bit of our rain! They said the other day we've had a year's worth in the first six or seven months.
And thanks, I'm not in any immediate threat this time. Last October was much worse--the fires were only a mile from where I lived (and school was cancelled because of air quality). Hopefully that doesn't happen again.
Indeed!

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » 08 Aug 2018 15:16

So… this is my 10000th post on the CBB.

I'm sure some of you have noticed that I've been counting down every post since 9990, and periodically since 9900. I've felt annoying doing so, but I like how those numbers look aesthetically.

This isn't a big accomplishment or something like that, since post count doesn't really mean anything. All I've done is post a lot, which I was able to do so much because I was out sick for two years of high school.

I'm still happy to have reached ten thousand, though, if only because it's a reminder, in a way, of the time I've spent with this community. I just realized that it's been almost a month since the 5th anniversary of me joining the board.

I've been focusing a lot on my writing lately, which isn't related to my conlanging or conworlding, and when I've tried to work on those things, I've found myself feeling dissatisfied with the results. Hopefully that won't be the case for very long.

Anyway, thank you all for five great years!

(Post #10000.)

DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » 08 Aug 2018 15:34

shimobaatar wrote:
08 Aug 2018 15:16

So… this is my 10000th post on the CBB.
I have been waiting for this moment...
I'm sure some of you have noticed that I've been counting down every post since 9990, and periodically since 9900. I've felt annoying doing so, but I like how those numbers look aesthetically.
I love postcounts...
This isn't a big accomplishment or something like that, since post count doesn't really mean anything. All I've done is post a lot, which I was able to do so much because I was out sick for two years of high school.
There were times when you were the only one commenting on my threads, and that was often enough to keep me motivated. Much appreciated.
I'm still happy to have reached ten thousand, though, if only because it's a reminder, in a way, of the time I've spent with this community. I just realized that it's been almost a month since the 5th anniversary of me joining the board.
Time flies.
I've been focusing a lot on my writing lately, which isn't related to my conlanging or conworlding, and when I've tried to work on those things, I've found myself feeling dissatisfied with the results. Hopefully that won't be the case for very long.
Ooh, I do hope you post some of your writing at some point, whenever you feel ready and/or in the mood for feedback.
Anyway, thank you all for five great years!

(Post #10000.)
Thank you too! [:D]

And finally...

Happy 10,000th Post!!!

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 08 Aug 2018 15:40

shimobaatar wrote:
And we love having you around! Happy 10000 post-iversary. :D

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 08 Aug 2018 17:17

I feel like something evil for what happened between me and a member in ConWorkShop....
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 08 Aug 2018 18:36

shimobaatar wrote:
It's not just that you post a lot; you enthusiastically engage with new conlangs and I think the way you respond to new members and their conlang posts encourages them to post more, as well as makes this site more active and welcoming. So it's definitely a worthy achievement [:D]