The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Dormouse559

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Dormouse559 » 03 Feb 2019 01:34

shimobaatar wrote:
02 Feb 2019 23:26
Yep, got it in one. Today's Rat Day. Hundreds flock to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania every year on February 2nd to see this very rat. Many were introduced to the holiday by the 1993 film "Rat Day", starring Bill Murray.
Perhaps it is indeed the Rat Day of Bill Murray filmographic fame. The weather out here can't decide it's winter or spring today.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 03 Feb 2019 04:51

Khemehekis wrote:
03 Feb 2019 00:05
Today I am headed to Moraga, CA for the Campolindo High School Class of '98 20-year reunion. I will join a melange of preppies, skaters, trendies, jocks, goths, hip-hoppers, slackers, emo kids, hippies, rednecks, and more from Campo at the Moraga Country Club. I hope to see friends whom I haven't seen in person in YEARS. Some of my classmates in my Campo Class of '98 Facebook group have said they'd like to read The Bittersweet Generation, which I advertised as "loosely based on my experience at Campolindo".
Moraga--cool. Don't hear that town mentioned every day. My grandparents live in Lafayette so I'm familiar with the area. Have fun [:D]

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 03 Feb 2019 19:35

shimobaatar wrote:
02 Feb 2019 23:26
Yep, got it in one. Today's Rat Day. Hundreds flock to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania every year on February 2nd to see this very rat. Many were introduced to the holiday by the 1993 film "Rat Day", starring Bill Murray.
I thought that flick was called "Day of the Rodent of Unusual Size".

I love the part when Bill Murray sacrifices himself by jumping into the gaping jaws of the giant rat-monster, all strapped up with explosives.

That varmint blewed up real good, I tell you what!

And then , it happens all over again! [xP]

WHOOPS! Was that a spoiler? [:x] [:$]

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 03 Feb 2019 20:35

Lambuzhao wrote:
03 Feb 2019 19:35

I love the part when Bill Murray sacrifices himself by jumping into the gaping jaws of the giant rat-monster, all strapped up with explosives.

That varmint blewed up real good, I tell you what!

And then , it happens all over again! [xP]

WHOOPS! Was that a spoiler? [:x] [:$]
Nooooo! Say it ain't so!!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 03 Feb 2019 20:45

Lambuzhao wrote:
03 Feb 2019 19:35
I don't think it exists.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 05 Feb 2019 11:06

To those celebrating:

Happy New Year!
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 05 Feb 2019 11:43

Lao Kou wrote:
05 Feb 2019 11:06
To those celebrating:

Happy New Year!
[+1]

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 05 Feb 2019 15:02

Lao Kou wrote:
05 Feb 2019 11:06
To those celebrating:

Happy New Year!
Happy Year of the Pig!!! [:D]

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 07 Feb 2019 19:49

Can anyone tell me, what language and/or dialect the following three-line dialogue is in? And/or maybe translate it?

A: “Jeetchet?”
B: “No.”
A: “Squeet!”

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 07 Feb 2019 20:38

eldin raigmore wrote:
07 Feb 2019 19:49
Can anyone tell me, what language and/or dialect the following three-line dialogue is in? And/or maybe translate it?

If Urban Dictionary is anything to go by, "did you eat it", and then I'm not sure [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 07 Feb 2019 20:40

Decided to map out what I have so far in Minecraft, and didn't expect to need this many maps [:P]

And I've started building something else off to the right of that map as well...
Just one time.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 07 Feb 2019 20:51

sangi39 wrote:
07 Feb 2019 20:38
eldin raigmore wrote:

If Urban Dictionary is anything to go by, "did you eat it", and then I'm not sure [:P]
Maybe "did you eat yet"? The only thing I can think of for "squeet" is possibly some sort of corruption of "sweet".
sangi39 wrote:
07 Feb 2019 20:40
Decided to map out what I have so far in Minecraft, and didn't expect to need this many maps [:P]
Spoiler:
And I've started building something else off to the right of that map as well...
Oh wow, how many are there?

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 07 Feb 2019 21:04

shimobaatar wrote:
07 Feb 2019 20:51
sangi39 wrote:
07 Feb 2019 20:40
Spoiler:
Oh wow, how many are there?
I'll need about 16 to cover the entire ground area so far (so the main castle, the "ramp"/entrance-way, the moat around those and then the main path around the moat) but the new build I'm planning on starting might need about another 4 maps, so maybe 20 once that's in. Once I've got the ground work laid down for both of those structures, though, I want to go in and fill out the space between them, which would mean flattening and covering over the entire area of the right-most 4 maps in that image I think, including that village in the top right.

Around 300,000 blocks so far!
Just one time.

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 07 Feb 2019 21:06

eldin raigmore wrote:

Translation seems pretty straightforward to me:
Spoiler:
A: Did you eat yet?
B: No.
A: So go eat!
But as to the dialect, I couldn't say for sure!

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 24 Feb 2019 00:57

alynnidalar wrote:
07 Feb 2019 21:06
eldin raigmore wrote:

Translation seems pretty straightforward to me:
Spoiler:
A: Did you eat yet?
B: No.
A: So go eat!
But as to the dialect, I couldn't say for sure!
Spoiler:
The language is English.
I don’t know the dialect.
The translation is as follows (btw everyone who answered got pretty close, especially alynnidalar.)
Q: “Did you eat yet?”
A: “No.”
Q: “Let’s go eat!”

Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » 24 Feb 2019 01:56

I want to like Salmoneus' recent post on the ZBB so much for actually stating true facts while not following the false opinions of the majority of conlangers out there, but I'm not a member there, so I'll just support him from here.

My conlang and its morphosyntactic alignment thanks you [+1] [<3] [tick]
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 24 Feb 2019 03:16

Reyzadren wrote:
24 Feb 2019 01:56
I want to like Salmoneus' recent post on the ZBB so much for actually stating true facts while not following the false opinions of the majority of conlangers out there, but I'm not a member there, so I'll just support him from here.

My conlang and its morphosyntactic alignment thanks you [+1] [<3] [tick]
At least the examples were reasonably comprehensible!

Also, I'm not sure who these "majority of conlangers" are...

I'd be very wary of any language inventor who so blithely steps into the bottomless "this doesn't happen in natural languages" pit of doom.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 25 Feb 2019 04:45

Thing that annoys me working in retail in the UK, specifically England, is non-Bank of England banknotes, and people insisting that we have to accept them as payment when someone's doing their shopping.

Now, as far as I'm aware, only Bank of England banknotes are legal tender, and even then only in England and Wales, and my understanding of that is that, for example, if you ate something in a restaurant in England or Wales, and then wanted to pay for your meal, if you paid in BoE notes then the restaurant are legally obligated to accept that as payment, but they are legally entitled to refuse payment in any notes printed by the three Scottish banks and four Northern Irish banks which are permitted to print banknotes (from what I've read "legal tender" applies as "payment for debts that cannot be refused").

So, someone walks in, puts a few things in their basket, brings it to the till. Everything scans through fine, and then they hand over a Danske Bank £20 note. Now, I'm really not familiar at all with Danske Bank notes. I know Danske Bank exists, and I know they print banknotes, but up until that point, other than a cursory glance online, I had never seen one in person. As far as my understanding goes, I'm within my rights to refuse that as payment. Danske Bank notes aren't legal tender, and the customer is not in a position of debt (they haven't consumed or used anything yet, they haven't taken taken anything with the promise of eventually paying for it, they're just offering me something in exchange for goods they wish to take after payment).

That banknote (assuming it wasn't a forgery), would certainly be legal currency, which I think is to do with what the government considers representative of "money", but we could also accept carrots as payment if we wanted to, just that the value of currency wouldn't be backed by the government.

The BoE says "[a] shop owner can choose what payment they accept. If you want to pay for a pack of gum with a £50 note, it’s perfectly legal to turn you down. Likewise for all other banknotes, it’s a matter of discretion. If your local corner shop decided to only accept payments in Pokémon cards that would be within their right too. But they’d probably lose customers" and everything I've read suggests that that advice is accurate, so if someone hands over a £50 Bank of Ireland note, or a Clydesdale Bank £20 note, I'm going to refuse it. I do not see them enough to know how to check with any level of certainty whether they're real, and no amount of "it says "Sterling" on it", or "it's legal tender" is going to make me change my mind, until someone can thoroughly correctly.

It's annoying as hell. Luckily doesn't happen often, though. Happened enough for me to do some reading, though (used to work for a retailer down south that had a policy of only accept BoE notes. Company policy was "nothing Scottish, nothing Irish") [:P]

Anyone else get this sort of thing? Anyone else in the UK have any thoughts on this?
Just one time.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 25 Feb 2019 06:04

sangi39 wrote:
25 Feb 2019 04:45
Thing that annoys me working in retail in the UK, specifically England, is non-Bank of England banknotes, and people insisting that we have to accept them as payment when someone's doing their shopping.
They're not legal tender in England.

Even I over here in Leftpondia know that much!

Heck, the Scottish ones at least aren't even legal tender in Scotland!
Spoiler:
Now, as far as I'm aware, only Bank of England banknotes are legal tender, and even then only in England and Wales, and my understanding of that is that, for example, if you ate something in a restaurant in England or Wales, and then wanted to pay for your meal, if you paid in BoE notes then the restaurant are legally obligated to accept that as payment, but they are legally entitled to refuse payment in any notes printed by the three Scottish banks and four Northern Irish banks which are permitted to print banknotes (from what I've read "legal tender" applies as "payment for debts that cannot be refused").

So, someone walks in, puts a few things in their basket, brings it to the till. Everything scans through fine, and then they hand over a Danske Bank £20 note. Now, I'm really not familiar at all with Danske Bank notes. I know Danske Bank exists, and I know they print banknotes, but up until that point, other than a cursory glance online, I had never seen one in person. As far as my understanding goes, I'm within my rights to refuse that as payment. Danske Bank notes aren't legal tender, and the customer is not in a position of debt (they haven't consumed or used anything yet, they haven't taken taken anything with the promise of eventually paying for it, they're just offering me something in exchange for goods they wish to take after payment).

That banknote (assuming it wasn't a forgery), would certainly be legal currency, which I think is to do with what the government considers representative of "money", but we could also accept carrots as payment if we wanted to, just that the value of currency wouldn't be backed by the government.

The BoE says "[a] shop owner can choose what payment they accept. If you want to pay for a pack of gum with a £50 note, it’s perfectly legal to turn you down. Likewise for all other banknotes, it’s a matter of discretion. If your local corner shop decided to only accept payments in Pokémon cards that would be within their right too. But they’d probably lose customers" and everything I've read suggests that that advice is accurate, so if someone hands over a £50 Bank of Ireland note, or a Clydesdale Bank £20 note, I'm going to refuse it. I do not see them enough to know how to check with any level of certainty whether they're real, and no amount of "it says "Sterling" on it", or "it's legal tender" is going to make me change my mind, until someone can thoroughly correctly.
It's annoying as hell. Luckily doesn't happen often, though. Happened enough for me to do some reading, though (used to work for a retailer down south that had a policy of only accept BoE notes. Company policy was "nothing Scottish, nothing Irish") [:P]

Anyone else get this sort of thing? Anyone else in the UK have any thoughts on this?
Curious: barring a shop policy, is it the actual bank notes you don't like dealing with or is it rude and entitled customers who don't know the rules?

What about coins (or banknotes) from Jersey, Guernsey or Gibraltar?

Over here, it's common practice along the Border to accept both Canadian and US dollars. Tills I think can be programmed to show prices in both. Further south no one accepts anything other than US dollars.

Some municipalities used to have their own local currencies, but those were always voluntary. A once (relatively) common private currency was the Norfed Dollar. That's now quite defunct.

But there's nothing like your independent issuing bank notes in the US anymore. We haven't had independent bank notes since the mid 19th century. Though it is interesting to note that successor banks will often redeem those ancient pieces of paper.

But one thing we can do in the US that you can't in the UK is freely spend any coin or paper currency made by the US government (with very rare exceptions).

Hopefully, postBrexit, you lot will return to the £/s/d system!

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 26 Feb 2019 02:08

sangi39 wrote:
25 Feb 2019 04:45

AIUI, you're correct. You're not obliged to trade - you can refuse any trade at any time (providing the person you refuse can't prove that it was on the grounds of specified forms of discrimination that are outlawed). A basic principle is that it's the customer who offers to trade, and you decide to accept or decline.

That said, it's normally, I would think, not worth fighting over. Particularly for BOS and RBOS notes. You won't get in trouble for accepting legal currency.

There's actually plusses and minuses to them, in theory. The minus is, if your company goes bust (or near to it), it can't rely on using those notes to pay its creditors. So there's a (small but non-zero) risk attached to them.

The plus is, they're not susceptible to bank runs - the bank has to actually have enough gold to pay you back if you demand it. Then again, the banks could always go bust thanks to a run on other debts, which is another risk.