The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4731
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by DesEsseintes » 19 May 2019 05:31

Reyzadren wrote:
19 May 2019 05:08
Apparently, I've been shadowbanned on reddit's conlang site for...no apparent reason. I guess that really tells me how much other conlangers have a seething hatred and contempt of me and my conlang, such that they would need to censor my replies and discussion on that "social media". Perhaps your conlang or post isn't getting any attention because nobody can see it in the first place. This is why I try to leave comments on members' threads here whenever I see just a small cute feature, even if it's just 1 line.

If you can read this, I guess I'm not marked here. If you can't read this, well, duh.
I can read your message, and I don’t think shadowbanning occurs on this board. Explicit bans do.

I’m not active on reddit, so I’m afraid I can’t comment on that. I highly doubt people have a “seething hatred” of you and your conlang, unless your behaviour on reddit differs significantly from your behaviour here.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3483
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 19 May 2019 16:33

DesEsseintes wrote:
19 May 2019 05:31
Reyzadren wrote:
19 May 2019 05:08
Apparently, I've been shadowbanned on reddit's conlang site for...no apparent reason. I guess that really tells me how much other conlangers have a seething hatred and contempt of me and my conlang, such that they would need to censor my replies and discussion on that "social media". Perhaps your conlang or post isn't getting any attention because nobody can see it in the first place. This is why I try to leave comments on members' threads here whenever I see just a small cute feature, even if it's just 1 line.

If you can read this, I guess I'm not marked here. If you can't read this, well, duh.
I can read your message, and I don’t think shadowbanning occurs on this board. Explicit bans do.

I’m not active on reddit, so I’m afraid I can’t comment on that. I highly doubt people have a “seething hatred” of you and your conlang, unless your behaviour on reddit differs significantly from your behaviour here.
I concur. One issue with Reddit is that it (and by that I mean the invented language & world building forums in general) are simply too big. Their conlang forum has more than thirty two thousand members and often more than a hundred on line at any time. Threads pop up and disappear down the queue very quickly in a sort of blink and you miss it state of affairs. It may just be that your posts are disappearing down the chute before anyone can engage with them.

I don't know what name you go by at Reddit, so can't comment on whether I can see your posts there or not.

This might help determine if you've been shadowbanned in reality or not.

I checked "reyzadren" at Am I Shadowbanned and confirmed with "elemtilas". Assuming that's you, then both of us are normal, as odd that may seem!

You might want to check and see if your messages have been caught up in their spam trap. That seems to be a thing.
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
sangi39
moderator
moderator
Posts: 3282
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 00:53
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by sangi39 » 19 May 2019 18:55

I'm not on Reddit, so I'm not 100% sure what "shadowbanning" is, although a quick search suggest it means that while not explicitly "banned", a user's posts are made effectively or actually invisible to other users). That isn't how we handle that sort of thing on the CBB, though.

Our policy is, typically, to issue various warnings beforehand, issue a temporary ban, and, if that doesn't work, issue a permanent ban (although we have had to skip certain stages from time to time). Those bans are explicit bans, and at least in my case I have a policy of messaging the user who is about to be banned.

The one thing I'm not sure on, and really I should ask Aszev, is whether temporary and permanent bans prevent users from logging in to the board or if they are simply prevented from posting.

On a more personal note, as far as I know, Reyzadren, no-one has raised any particular issues with you, at least within the limits of my own memory. I can't speak for why they shadowbanned you over on Reddit, but everything seems pretty okay here on the CBB [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

User avatar
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic
Posts: 430
Joined: 14 May 2017 09:39
Contact:

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Reyzadren » 20 May 2019 01:05

DesEsseintes wrote:
19 May 2019 05:31
I’m not active on reddit, so I’m afraid I can’t comment on that. I highly doubt people have a “seething hatred” of you and your conlang, unless your behaviour on reddit differs significantly from your behaviour here.
Same. I am much more inactive on reddit as compared to the CBB. I normally just post descriptions of my conlang there or reply to follow-up questions if any.
elemtilas wrote:
19 May 2019 16:33
I checked "reyzadren" at Am I Shadowbanned and confirmed with "elemtilas". Assuming that's you, then both of us are normal, as odd that may seem!
Regardless, I still can't see some of my more recent posts while logged out.
Good to know that you are not shadowbanned as well, but the mere fact that such checkers exist mean that shadowbanning is a thing there. Yikes.
sangi39 wrote:
19 May 2019 18:55
On a more personal note, as far as I know, Reyzadren, no-one has raised any particular issues with you, at least within the limits of my own memory. I can't speak for why they shadowbanned you over on Reddit, but everything seems pretty okay here on the CBB [:)]
Whoops [xP] , I meant to say "conlangers there", as I have received many downvotes there for seemingly arbitrary things such as describing affixes in my conlang or feature explanations. I generally don't have a problem with members here myself.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3483
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 20 May 2019 02:02

sangi39 wrote:
19 May 2019 18:55
The one thing I'm not sure on, and really I should ask Aszev, is whether temporary and permanent bans prevent users from logging in to the board or if they are simply prevented from posting.
Temporary ban I know from experience does nòt even allow one to log in. There is no way to communicate at all, not even by PM and not even to the Mods (with whom such a person ought to be able to communicate!)
On a more personal note, as far as I know, Reyzadren, no-one has raised any particular issues with you, at least within the limits of my own memory. I can't speak for why they shadowbanned you over on Reddit, but everything seems pretty okay here on the CBB [:)]
I personally think Reddit is simply run by wannabe Nazis. Their mods have their cliques and their caprices and, depending on the forum, apply whatever rules they have in whatever manner they choose at the moment.
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3483
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 20 May 2019 02:16

Reyzadren wrote:
20 May 2019 01:05
elemtilas wrote:
19 May 2019 16:33
I checked "reyzadren" at Am I Shadowbanned and confirmed with "elemtilas". Assuming that's you, then both of us are normal, as odd that may seem!
Regardless, I still can't see some of my more recent posts while logged out.
Good to know that you are not shadowbanned as well, but the mere fact that such checkers exist mean that shadowbanning is a thing there. Yikes.
It is definitely a thing.

Now what I find odd is that when I search for Reyzadren or griuskant from within r/conlangs, no results show up. But if I search for Reyazdren & Reddit from a search engine, I can find posts you've made there in recent days.
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
alynnidalar
roman
roman
Posts: 1064
Joined: 17 Aug 2014 02:22
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by alynnidalar » 20 May 2019 16:54

In fairness, Reddit's internal search function is notoriously terrible. I always use Google to search Reddit myself. (which can be done by adding "site:reddit.com" or "site:reddit.com/r/conlangs" to your search query, which will limit results to the given site)

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3483
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 20 May 2019 17:04

alynnidalar wrote:
20 May 2019 16:54
In fairness, Reddit's internal search function is notoriously terrible. I always use Google to search Reddit myself. (which can be done by adding "site:reddit.com" or "site:reddit.com/r/conlangs" to your search query, which will limit results to the given site)
Good tip, thanks!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3483
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 21 May 2019 00:36

Coo, I've upset a snowflake Mod on Reddit!

Will be interesting to see if I get "shadowbanned" or outright banned!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 877
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 00:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Ælfwine » 21 May 2019 06:11

Getting banned from any subreddit is easy.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3483
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 21 May 2019 17:40

Ælfwine wrote:
21 May 2019 06:11
Getting banned from any subreddit is easy.
Aww, don't spoil it!!

Anyway, looks like it's just a "warning". Oh, well.
Edit: Ah, spoke too soon! [}:D]
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Post Reply