The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Egerius » 24 Jul 2017 13:38

Anyway. My Middle English Glossary is growing slowly, the reference grammar is stagnating at the moment (I'll get back to it soon).

I don't yet know what I'm going to do with them, but I am prepared.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 24 Jul 2017 15:15

Folks, whatever you do, promise me one thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WDkdZ6QvXY

Dream on, on to the Heart of the Sunrise!

[<3] :mrgreen:

-Lambu

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 24 Jul 2017 20:49

DesEsseintes wrote:Sorry, no. I was actually talking to qwed but I quoted your message as well by accident, shimobaatar.

Sorry about the confusion. [xP]
Ahh, gotcha. No worries, of course!

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 25 Jul 2017 03:24

So I've been thinking about tattoos again. Apparently, after thinking about them for an entire year I still managed to not get a single one, but oh well. Anyway, I've been thinking of starting small, then working my way up to the larger one that I really actually want to get one day (I posted the design in the previous Conversation thread). I wanted to get something simple, so I threw these two together:

I used the Younger Futhark to attempt some sort of bind rune-esque design, the one on the left reading "mun" and the one on the right reading "hug", as short forms of "Muninn" and "Huginn" respectively*. I'm fairly certain that the majority of bind runes that are found in actual Old Norse texts are written in order, and it's just a case that staves end up being shared, in which case I think "mun" more or less follows that convention, but I decided to choose style over "accuracy" for "hug" in order to give it the same height and width as "mun" (it would have ended up being either wider or taller if I'd gone for something in which each rune were to appear in order).

*I mostly dropped the "inn" because it was repetitive, but if it turns out that Younger Futhark runes could be written right to left facing in the opposite direction then I might throw them back in and have something like:

... but really I want to have them as two, separate small tattoos, one on each side of my neck just below the ears.

I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on them [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 25 Jul 2017 11:32

sangi39 wrote:Image

... but really I want to have them as two, separate small tattoos, one on each side of my neck just below the ears.

Would you consider HUG- and -NUM as described (each side of the neck below the ears) with the -I NN I- runes evenly spaced between? .i., with NN at the center line and the two Is in between?

For me, the five rune spread is more aesthetically pleasing, more balanced from side to side and also more visually attracting.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 25 Jul 2017 14:25

elemtilas wrote:
sangi39 wrote:Image

Would you consider HUG- and -NUM as described (each side of the neck below the ears) with the -I NN I- runes evenly spaced between? .i., with NN at the center line and the two Is in between?

For me, the five rune spread is more aesthetically pleasing, more balanced from side to side and also more visually attracting.
So something like HUG- and -NUM below each ear, the double -NN- at the base of the neck, and then one of each Ís run roughly half way between?

I think you might be right, about the spread I mean. The more I think about it the better it looks in my head. It's less crowded while still incorporating the "-inn" of each name.

The general thinking at the moment is to get smaller tattoos in places that I can cover up easily, so the back of my neck is perfect at the moment because my hair goes most of the way down my back, lol.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » 25 Jul 2017 14:50

Lambuzhao, I feel that you should know you appeared in a dream last night as a mysterious purple figure making crêpes in a log cabin that numerous (otherwise invisible - you were a person-shaped patch of sentient purple haze) CBBers were lodging in while attending the New England Folk Festival. It was a very short dream that transitioned abruptly to something about the filming of an action movie on-location at a coral reef. I have not remembered any particularly elaborate dreams in quite a while, so it was somewhat notable, though I was sorry to inform dream-you that I am not particularly fond of crêpes.
Egerius wrote:Anyway. My Middle English Glossary is growing slowly, the reference grammar is stagnating at the moment (I'll get back to it soon).

I don't yet know what I'm going to do with them, but I am prepared.
Excellent!
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 26 Jul 2017 02:25

@kiwikami

Báciln Lolórlocáríel-é:
Singularly honored.
[;)]

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 26 Jul 2017 04:45

kiwikami wrote:Lambuzhao, I feel that you should know you appeared in a dream last night as a mysterious purple figure making crêpes in a log cabin that numerous (otherwise invisible - you were a person-shaped patch of sentient purple haze) CBBers were lodging in while attending the New England Folk Festival. It was a very short dream that transitioned abruptly to something about the filming of an action movie on-location at a coral reef. I have not remembered any particularly elaborate dreams in quite a while, so it was somewhat notable, though I was sorry to inform dream-you that I am not particularly fond of crêpes.
Sounds like a wonderful dream all around! Only let's get back to those crêpes! I mean, sweet or savory, little dainties you eat with your pinky sticking up or a good solid meal? I've never actually tried a crêpe, but I think I shall have to remedy that gastronomic faux pas!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 26 Jul 2017 05:02

I don't normally, but my family do make them, and I know how. They're good with cream cheese, mascarpone, or sour cream and fruit.

But I prefer to make pancakes and call it a day.
[:P]

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 26 Jul 2017 08:41

kiwikami wrote:Excellent!
Somebody actually appreciates this? Cool! [:)]

I mainly use the online Middle English Dictionary and I make sure that the word and usage are attested between 1150 and 1250 (French loanwords until 1300).

For the grammar... I use too many books to name here. Fulk's An Introduction to Middle English (2013) is among those.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 26 Jul 2017 19:14

Hello all! I'm back after a lovely two-week vacation in Yellowstone (and sundry other national parks; we ended up going to four).

Here is a picture of a bison next to a hot mudpot for your edification and enjoyment:

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 26 Jul 2017 19:30

Love Yellowstone [:D] What other parks did you visit? Hope you've been to Yosemite. That's my favorite. My family and I go every year.

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 26 Jul 2017 19:53

Grand Teton (of course--it's right next door), Arches, and Rocky Mountain.

I'd been to Rocky Mountain before, but Arches was new to me! Very, very cool, albeit excessively hot. That's the one with all the (obviously) arches like Delicate Arch.

Yellowstone was my favorite, though--it's so huge, and the geothermal stuff was fascinating to me! I always thought it was just a little area around Old Faithful that had geysers and such, I didn't expect them to be all over the park.

It was also cool to see all the wildlife between the different parks. Of animals we don't really see in Michigan, we saw pronghorns, mule deer, elk, moose, many many many bison, ravens and a number of other interesting birds, beavers, coyotes, and yes... a mama grizzly and her cubs. We were disappointed not to see any bighorn sheep, but I was pretty excited about the bears and moose, so it turned out OK. [:P]

(we didn't see any black bears, but that was OK too, I've seen them plenty of times in the Smoky Mountains)

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 26 Jul 2017 19:58

That's very cool :mrgreen: I've been to Arches, but not the other two. Utah has a ton of parks, all of them are pretty great to hike in (provided it's not too hot). I love to photograph the wildlife (including flowers and stuff) whenever I go to these places. My family has a vacation home at Lake Tahoe and I once saw a brown bear right in our backyard [O.O]

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 28 Jul 2017 20:17

Today was the last day of my Japanese class. I'll be flying back home tomorrow morning.

今日、私の日本語のクラスは終わりました。明日の朝、家に飛行機で帰ります。

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 28 Jul 2017 20:48

shimobaatar wrote:I'll be flying back home tomorrow morning.
Flying?! Isn't that blowing a hole into your purse/credit card?

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 28 Jul 2017 21:32

Egerius wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:I'll be flying back home tomorrow morning.
Flying?! Isn't that blowing a hole into your purse/credit card?
This reaction caught me very much off guard. Perhaps it's because we're not on the same page here?

Some things to consider:

My house is 12 hours away from where I go to college by car.
I do not have a car myself, and I cannot drive.
My parents are both busy and are not able to drive 12 hours out here and 12 hours back this weekend.
After about 9 am tomorrow morning, I won't have anywhere to stay that wouldn't require me to spend about as much for one night as I'll be spending to take an airplane home.

I don't think I'm comfortable divulging how much I'll be spending to fly home, but perhaps it's more expensive to travel by plane in Europe than in America? Pretty much everyone I know who lives in a different state than they go to school in and who doesn't have a car flies to and from college, regardless of economic background. I think you guys also have better trains and whatnot than we do.

Then again, college is ungodly expensive itself, so maybe frequent plane trips don't seem as expensive by comparison to me?

vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark » 28 Jul 2017 22:59

Flying in Europe isn't too horribly expensive thanks to Ryanair and other super-cheap airlines with prices lower than a politician's standards and service to match. Of course, you get what you pay for...

But, when I went to/from university when I lived in the US, I drove every time I needed to go between NC and OH (10 hours each way, though not too bad of a drive), and my family would normally drive twice a year between NC and WI (17-hour trip each way), with any other trips I took back home while in WI via plane. I actually didn't step on a plane for about two years and change while I was doing my Master's in Ohio (between getting back from Korea and leaving for Luxembourg).
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 28 Jul 2017 23:02

Yeah, I'd drive if I could, of course, and most people seem to feel the same way, but there will always be people for which that's not an option.