The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
gach
MVP
MVP
Posts: 707
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 00:26
Location: displaced from Helsinki

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by gach » 28 Jul 2017 23:43

Trains are nicer but not a practical option when you have to cross over half of Europe. In the north of Europe we also have the Baltic Sea which means that when you travel from one country to another, you are much of the time also crossing the sea. Thus your travel options are then either flying or going by boat; that is, being on time or taking your time. It's absolutely possible to find plane tickets that don't destroy your budget, at least if you are not flying on a quite monthly basis. Also remember that train tickets aren't dirt cheap either. A friend of mine mixed for a while studying in Uppsala and working part time in Helsinki and flew the commutes using Norwegian. Having a salary does make such an arrangement more reasonable for a student but Norwegian's prices aren't terribly high anyway and after a while of using them you develop good reflexes for phoning their customer service for a replacement flight when they periodically cancel yours out of the blue.

User avatar
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek
Posts: 580
Joined: 15 Feb 2016 06:10
Location: Stanford, California

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 29 Jul 2017 02:54

shimobaatar wrote:Yeah, I'd drive if I could, of course, and most people seem to feel the same way, but there will always be people for which that's not an option.
My sister can drive just fine, but she attends a university in Washington state and almost always flies between here and there. So it seems fairly reasonable to me. Plus, public transport is notoriously lacking in the U.S., especially here in California, so trains aren't much of an option.
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3223
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 29 Jul 2017 03:08

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:Plus, public transport is notoriously lacking in the U.S., especially here in California, so trains aren't much of an option.
Sad but true! It wasn't always the case, when you could take a train just about anywhere. Even here in the Corridor, train travel is not as easy as it could be. :mrred:
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4651
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by DesEsseintes » 29 Jul 2017 05:15

shimobaatar wrote:Today was the last day of my Japanese class. I'll be flying back home tomorrow morning.

今日、私の日本語のクラスは終わりました。明日の朝、家に飛行機で帰ります。
Have a safe flight! [:)]

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 10911
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar » 29 Jul 2017 07:45

DesEsseintes wrote: Have a safe flight! [:)]
ありがとうございます。  [:D]

User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 29 Jul 2017 12:39

シモバータさんは、
飛行機に乗る人に英語では!
道中ご無事に !

[:D]

よいフライト
[xP]

User avatar
Adarain
greek
greek
Posts: 664
Joined: 03 Jul 2015 14:36
Location: Switzerland, usually

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Adarain » 29 Jul 2017 12:57

gach wrote:Trains are nicer but not a practical option when you have to cross over half of Europe. In the north of Europe we also have the Baltic Sea which means that when you travel from one country to another, you are much of the time also crossing the sea. Thus your travel options are then either flying or going by boat; that is, being on time or taking your time. It's absolutely possible to find plane tickets that don't destroy your budget, at least if you are not flying on a quite monthly basis. Also remember that train tickets aren't dirt cheap either. A friend of mine mixed for a while studying in Uppsala and working part time in Helsinki and flew the commutes using Norwegian. Having a salary does make such an arrangement more reasonable for a student but Norwegian's prices aren't terribly high anyway and after a while of using them you develop good reflexes for phoning their customer service for a replacement flight when they periodically cancel yours out of the blue.
Similarly, in central europe trains are usually a nice, comfortable and efficient travel option — but they’re very expensive so you have to decide at what point they’re just not worth it anymore. Zürich to Paris? I’ll take the TGV. Any further? Plane’s faster and cheaper at this point.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.

User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4493
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:32

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Creyeditor » 29 Jul 2017 13:02

Also, interestingly enough, if you take a train that crosses a national border tickets might get cheaper. I know people that bought a train ticket from Hamburg to Vienna instead of Hamburg to Munich, because it got cheaper. Of course they got out in Munich [xD]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

User avatar
GamerGeek
greek
greek
Posts: 853
Joined: 17 May 2017 17:10
Location: The Universe
Contact:

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by GamerGeek » 29 Jul 2017 20:20

shimobaatar wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote: Have a safe flight! [:)]
ありがとうございます。  [:D]
You should put up a Japanese lesson here [xD]
Playing the biggest game of Chinese telephone is fun.

User avatar
gach
MVP
MVP
Posts: 707
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 00:26
Location: displaced from Helsinki

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by gach » 29 Jul 2017 21:49

Adarain wrote:Similarly, in central europe trains are usually a nice, comfortable and efficient travel option — but they’re very expensive so you have to decide at what point they’re just not worth it anymore. Zürich to Paris? I’ll take the TGV. Any further? Plane’s faster and cheaper at this point.
The good thing with trains is that they typically take you all the way from the start to the destination. When flying you also have to factor is how to get to and from the airports, which might mean sitting a few extra hours in train. Not an airport in every mid-sized town.

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 10911
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar » 29 Jul 2017 22:20

GamerGeek wrote: You should put up a Japanese lesson here
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3252
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5712

User avatar
vampireshark
water
water
Posts: 293
Joined: 20 Jan 2012 15:51
Location: Luxembourg (LU); occasionally North Carolina (US)
Contact:

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by vampireshark » 30 Jul 2017 00:35

gach wrote:
Adarain wrote:Similarly, in central europe trains are usually a nice, comfortable and efficient travel option — but they’re very expensive so you have to decide at what point they’re just not worth it anymore. Zürich to Paris? I’ll take the TGV. Any further? Plane’s faster and cheaper at this point.
The good thing with trains is that they typically take you all the way from the start to the destination. When flying you also have to factor is how to get to and from the airports, which might mean sitting a few extra hours in train. Not an airport in every mid-sized town.
Also factoring in is that the cheapest ticket via plane almost never goes directly from point A to point B (if it even does). The cheapest train ticket will likely get you from A to B without a detour. For example, I'm going to Stockholm for a week: the cheapest ticket'll route me through Schiphol. Likewise, when I went to Croatia (Dubrovnik), while there are sometimes flights from the Grand Duchy to Dubrovnik, they're quite expensive and going via Munich was cheaper.

I find another nice thing about trains is that you can usually just hop on and get from A to B quite easily. No need to queue for security and immigration/customs controls (with a big exception being the Eurostar), the prices are generally constant-ish for tickets (though this is dependent on the country, with France being a major culprit!), and you can often stretch out more and just relax.

To me, though, a 4 to 6 hour train trip corresponds to the same amount of time to fly there, factoring in arriving early at the airport and the inevitable layovers. Hence, for something like that, I much prefer taking the train: less stress and less pain.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

User avatar
gach
MVP
MVP
Posts: 707
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 00:26
Location: displaced from Helsinki

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by gach » 30 Jul 2017 11:59

vampireshark wrote:I find another nice thing about trains is that you can usually just hop on and get from A to B quite easily. No need to queue for security and immigration/customs controls (with a big exception being the Eurostar), the prices are generally constant-ish for tickets (though this is dependent on the country, with France being a major culprit!), and you can often stretch out more and just relax.
This is a strong selling point. No-one's there to stop you from carrying two litres of water on a hot summer day.

User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4651
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by DesEsseintes » 30 Jul 2017 12:26

When I came downstairs this morning, a little kitten had been born in my kitchen. Its mother then proceeded to disappear and left me worried sick for the next eight hours as I tried to make sure the kitten was safe and not exposed in the 34° heat. Thankfully, the kitten somehow survived the entire afternoon without its mother, who returned at dusk. The kitten is now suckling, and I'm having some kind of nervous breakdown out of sheer relief.

User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5669
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lao Kou » 30 Jul 2017 12:55

DesEsseintes wrote:When I came downstairs this morning, a little kitten had been born in my kitchen. Its mother then proceeded to disappear and left me worried sick for the next eight hours as I tried to make sure the kitten was safe and not exposed in the 34° heat. Thankfully, the kitten somehow survived the entire afternoon without its mother, who returned at dusk. The kitten is now suckling, and I'm having some kind of nervous breakdown out of sheer relief.
Shanghai 大暑 can drive cats and you & me to extreme behaviors, (me, I just hide under my binky and suck my thumb). We should be thankful that puss wasn't born during those red alert days last week; 34° seems positively autumnal in comparison. I should think, all warnings lifted, if all is well, Mummy is lactating and appreciating the reduced pressure, Baby is doing pushing-on-teat action and feeding, and there's lots of purring all around. Congrats, Gumpa. Now where's my cuppa 立山小種 (since I don't do cigars)? [;)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3223
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » 30 Jul 2017 14:27

Lao Kou wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:When I came downstairs this morning, a little kitten had been born in my kitchen.
Lots of purring all around. Congrats, Gumpa. Now where's my cuppa 立山小種 (since I don't do cigars)? [;)]
Image
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 30 Jul 2017 14:44

Nine Lives of Jellical Joy have come to you in a tiny express package direct from the Heavyside Layer!

Puppies may be cute,
but KITTENS!

Now, where are her mittens?
[;)]

User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5669
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lao Kou » 30 Jul 2017 15:14

Lambuzhao wrote:Now, where are her mittens?
Steady, Lieutenant. A little early in life to determine whether s/he shall have no π (how else do cats leap between dimensions while we're not looking?)
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 30 Jul 2017 16:08

Lao Kou wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:Now, where are her mittens?
Steady, Lieutenant.
All right. Steadying. Steadying.
A little early in life to determine whether s/he shall have no π (how else do cats leap between dimensions while we're not looking?)
O-M-G: π. I cannot even remember the last time I had π of any sort... [:P] [:P] [:P]


https://media1.giphy.com/media/3ohuPcat ... /200_s.gif

*sigh* Okay. Bucking up, sir.

User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4651
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 12:16

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by DesEsseintes » 30 Jul 2017 16:49

The little kitten didn't make it through the evening. [:'(]

RIP little nameless kitten.

Post Reply