The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
MrKrov
banned

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by MrKrov » 02 Aug 2017 20:05

The fact he used a very idiosyncratic narrowing of the usual cover-all term probs didn't help, but it's Sano.

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 02 Aug 2017 20:49

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but it seems that the links to dropbox pictures are not working anymore. This might be relevant to the mods to because of posts like this one.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 02 Aug 2017 23:00

Creyeditor wrote:I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but it seems that the links to dropbox pictures are not working anymore. This might be relevant to the mods to because of posts like this one.

I didn't know about dropbox not working.

I do know that Photobucket is no longer offering image linking without you forking out a lot of money. Anyone that has pictures here on CBB hosted at Pb will find their money grabbing nastygram in its place.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 02 Aug 2017 23:04

Same thing for dropbox. You can't directly link to something anymore, I think.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine » 03 Aug 2017 01:23

Very nice script.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako » 03 Aug 2017 01:44

Ælfwine wrote:Very nice script.
Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.
MrKrov wrote:...it's Sano.
You're like a 9 y/o.

Though, it's good to know I still occupy a portion of your day. Makes me smile a little.

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 03 Aug 2017 13:37

elemtilas wrote:
Creyeditor wrote:I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but it seems that the links to dropbox pictures are not working anymore. This might be relevant to the mods to because of posts like this one.

I didn't know about dropbox not working.

I do know that Photobucket is no longer offering image linking without you forking out a lot of money. Anyone that has pictures here on CBB hosted at Pb will find their money grabbing nastygram in its place.
:mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(]
Not that I needed reminding about PhotoPhuckit, but yes that is the case.
Pb, as John Oliver would say, has become the complete opposite of a treat.
:mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(] :mrred: [}:(]

About the matter, suffice to say that I will quote an old old pal who has said this time and time again:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/qbert/swear.jpg

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
[>:O]

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 05 Aug 2017 16:50

I have been playing... a lot of Morrowind lately. I bought it a month ago and haven't been able to stop playing since.

I'm not prepared to declare it the best game of all time, although it might well be the most addictive I've played (after 74 hours, I am no less obsessed than when I started). But the worldbuilding! The worldbuilding is so good! Hands down it's the best worldbuilding of any game I've ever played. Better than most books and movies, too. It's just so interesting!

The whole world and culture are built on rules that are simply different than ours. The landscape is different. The plants and animals are very different. There's all these different cultures that interact in different ways. It's alien in the best possible sense of the word. And it doesn't just tell you this, as many games and books do, it actually demonstrates it. You don't just get informed there's an ongoing conflict between multiple religions, you see and experience and are a part of that conflict. You don't just get told there's conflict between traditional ways and foreign ones, you can see and hear it for yourself. (the eight-millionth time you get called "outlander" or "n'wah" makes it pretty obvious--but even the architecture shows it) It does worldbuilding beautifully.

Plus, from a gameplay perspective, there's things I just adore, and wish more games had: a really fascinating fast travel system (there's 8 or 9 different ways of fast traveling, and none of it involves clicking on the map), the ability to make crazy custom spells, and a complete lack of interest in whether or not the player is playing "correctly". You wanna get ludicrously powerful items at level 1? You wanna buff your Intelligence to unbelievable levels and make a bunch of super-powered potions? The game does not care.

(for the sake of completeness: yeah, the game is kind of ugly these days, although it's got magnificent style and visual design. Yeah, the combat system is pretty bad. Yeah, cliff racers are as annoying as everyone says they are. Yeah, 95% of the NPCs have no personality whatsoever. But man... it's fun. And is one of the only open-world RPGs I've ever played where I genuinely want to finish the main quest)

Ahhhhh I wanna write a book on all the things I love about this game. But I don't have time because I'm gonna go play it some more.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 06 Aug 2017 02:08

alynnidalar wrote:(the eight-millionth time you get called "outlander" makes it pretty obvious)
Or as I, an expat, experience it, that would be day-to-day real life. (Most days, it's like so much water rolling off a duck's back -- others, it just sticks in the craw.) Haven't been out yet today, what mood am I in? [B)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » 06 Aug 2017 12:56

alynnidalar wrote:[Morrowind love confession]
One more thing I love in the gameplay part that you didn’t mention. Remember Oblivion’s quest characters that you couldn’t kill cause they were important? Morrowind has none of that. Normal quest characters just die and you’re none the wiser; characters important to the main quest will show a warning and tell you that you might wanna reload, but you’re not forced to do so (and in fact there’s only one character that you must keep alive until a certain point in the main quest, you can kill literally everyone else on the island and still finish the quest. Except ordinators. They respawn.)
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 07 Aug 2017 15:43

On that note, a big part of me wants to try to kill everybody in the game once I've beaten it (that way, I avoid the whole problem of how to get the plot item, because I already got it the regular way). An equally big part of me has googled it and discovered there's, like, 3000 NPCs in the game and man that's a lot. I'm at least gonna kill you-know-who, though. I think that's obligatory.

(also, for a true genocide run, I know I've missed a bunch of characters that disappeared from the game already... ah well)

It's not so bad with people, because you can always avoid killing the wrong person by, y'know, not killing people, but what really is nerve-racking and not particularly fun is that you can sell quest items. Not just that I forget something's a quest item and accidentally sell it--although I've totally done that--but I pick up something and don't realize it's a quest item until long after I sell it! I already had to cheat one item back with the console. (it was the Dagoth Cup or whatever it's called--it's cheap enough that I could've sold it to any number of vendors. I checked with several and couldn't figure out who I'd sold it to, so I just gave myself a new one through the console, turned it in for the quest, and then dropped it)

I get why the game lets you do this--it goes with the whole "anything goes, no really, anything" aesthetic, and who wants to cart around a quest item if you don't plan to finish the quest, but I wish the game would at least give you a warning of, wait a second, maybe you don't want to sell this particular thing. Or at least have a "thread of prophecy has been severed blah blah" message when you sell main quest items.

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 12 Aug 2017 06:16

Today's natlang accomplishment: I arranged for a package to be picked up from my house to be sent to Beijing, which in itself is no big thing. However, the courier had some extremely odd speech disorder which made him palatalise and fricativise pretty much every consonant. The accomplishment is then the fact that we had no trouble communicating despite him speaking dialectal Chinese with a speech disorder. Clever me. [B)]

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 12 Aug 2017 10:49

This proves that you are superhuman. [xD]
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 12 Aug 2017 11:17

Certainly Hall of Justice-worthy. Zan & Jana - yer fired!
[xP]

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 12 Aug 2017 12:32

DesEsseintes wrote:The accomplishment is then the fact that we had no trouble communicating despite him speaking dialectal Chinese with a speech disorder. Clever me. [B)]
Context certainly helps. Presumably, you didn't take a time-out to discuss the physics of jet propulsion.

The one that blows me away is when people stop and ask me for directions. You look around to see that they're not talking to someone behind you (you wonder, "You do realize I'm foreign, right?" -- but I guess, beggars can't be choosers.) You give them the directions and send them on their merry way and marvel at what just happened. They A) assumed I could speak Chinese and B) thought I would be familiar with thereabouts -- I guess desperation renders you blind. Heck, we'll take it, though I keep waiting for a Chinese Allen Funt to leap out from behind a bush at those moments.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 12 Aug 2017 14:48

Reminds me of when, uff years ago, I found this Polish couple in a pharmacy. They were frantically making photocopies at a dollar a pop (!?!). I heard them speaking some sort of Slavic language, so I greeted them and asked them what they were doing in :ukr:. I gathered that they were making copies to get notarized, but didn't know where to go. I told them to not make copies in the pharmacy: too expensive. I found that, the more I nasalized my medial vowels, remembered to make my /h/ into /g/ (in the words spelled with a Gamma, that is), and basicaly slur my final /s/ clusters to /ʃʧ/ , the closer to a more intelligible mock :pol: I approached. Then directed them (+ drew a map, which gave me +1,000 :pol: bonus words I either didn't kno or have time to grind out, as pictures often do) and directed them whither three notaries-public were in the area that spoke :pol: . They were extremely grateful.

Afterwards, My circuits were fried. I felt like C-3PO when he needed a hot oil-bath.
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/st ... 0602185650

Or 2-3 tall cool Żywiecy {i.e. brewskies}.

:ukr: / :pol: Pidgin
chwała Twórcy!
praise creator.DAT
Thank the Maker!
[;)]

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 12 Aug 2017 14:54

Lambuzhao wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Some of the strokes are also reminiscent of Talarian cursive script.
[>:)]
Cannot wait to see some an example of Talarian Running Hand in the Conlang Conversation Thread.

[:D][:x] [:$]
Yes, you've just been lamboozled.
Perhaps not in the CCT, but to satisfy M. Curiosité:
Spoiler:

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes » 12 Aug 2017 15:27

Lao Kou wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:The accomplishment is then the fact that we had no trouble communicating despite him speaking dialectal Chinese with a speech disorder. Clever me. [B)]
Context certainly helps. Presumably, you didn't take a time-out to discuss the physics of jet propulsion.
Well, he did have to teach me how to use WeChat to fill out an online form, because, apparently, these days one can no longer send a parcel in China without using WeChat. Go figure. [O.O]

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 12 Aug 2017 15:56

DesEsseintes wrote:Well, he did have to teach me how to use WeChat to fill out an online form, because, apparently, these days one can no longer send a parcel in China without using WeChat. Go figure. [O.O]
Fair 'nuff. I never use WeChat as a medium of communication, but it seems you need it for apps buying train tickets and paying at the convenience store. [:|]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 12 Aug 2017 19:27

Lao Kou wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:Well, he did have to teach me how to use WeChat to fill out an online form, because, apparently, these days one can no longer send a parcel in China without using WeChat. Go figure. [O.O]
Fair 'nuff. I never use WeChat as a medium of communication, but it seems you need it for apps buying train tickets and paying at the convenience store. [:|]
Is that a ¿convenient inconvenience? or an ¿inconvenient convenience?

[:S]

I think I'm putting it park for now, and just using cash.