In Other Community News...

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

In Other Community News...

Post by elemtilas » 31 Jul 2017 02:59

. . . This just in! . . .

Use this thread for News or Announcements from other Worldbuilding or Language Invention communities. Events or articles that folks here who aren't there might find interesting!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: In Other Community News...

Post by elemtilas » 31 Jul 2017 03:19

Contongues Youtube Channel

Copied from CWS:
Advark wrote:So I've been watching a lot of the wikitongues youtube channel, I've started thinking to myself that it would be really cool if there something like this for conlangs, where people could sit in front of a camera and speak a few paragraphs in their conlang, I have the youtube channel setup. All I need now is for people who wish to help me to give me the word in their conlang that can be translated to Contongues (pm the word or tell me in the comments if you wish to give a word) i'm going to use these to make a banner for the youtube channel. If you would like to have a video of you speaking your conlang send me a pm here on CWS and you just need to tell me your name (if you don't want to give your name give me an alias), name of your conlang, a text translation of what you will be saying in English, give me what you're saying typed out in your language, and then give me an mp4, mov, avi, or flv of you speaking your conlang, I need to have a video of you speaking your conlang, if you really are worried privacy you wear a mask or dim the lighting so your face is not visible but I prefer if I could videos of people speaking their conlang. I need to be able download the video so I can upload it to youtube on the channel, video titles will be always be in this format
CONTONGUES: <one's name> speaking <one's conlang >

Note I can upload more than one conlang, but will need to be in separate videos
Note2 If audio or video is difficult to hear or see I may ask for it to be rerecorded

I would like it if anyone could give me some advice on ways to make this idea better, I really hope I can make a good documentation of all the conlangs people have made.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 31 Jul 2017 03:21

Elsewhere in the Interwebworks, it has been announced that The CWBB has been reactivated. Note the new domain name. All the old data and conversations appear intact.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 31 Jul 2017 03:23

I feel like this would be better serviced with a few posts on the Quintessential Conversation thread, not a separate thread on its own.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 31 Jul 2017 03:54

qwed117 wrote:I feel like this would be better serviced with a few posts on the Quintessential Conversation thread, not a separate thread on its own.
I did consider that, and I think the Q5th would have been the natural alternative. (And I guess if the MOD Squad decides to subsume it there, well, there it shall be!) But I chose to make a new thread because by tomorrow afternoon, or Tuesday at the latest, any announcements made there would simply disappear underneath the heap of curious and entertaining ephemera that is the Q5th. Also, a separate thread alerts people to the existence of something potentially of interest --- an announcement, rather than a running convo in a thread that, perhaps, not everyone reads regularly. At least this thread would be a place where folks know that it's an announcement of some kind and also they will be unlikely to miss it due to the rapidly changing nature of the other thread.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 30 Oct 2018 22:05

NEWS YOU CAN USE!

The Language Creation Society is pleased as pomegranate punch to announce the venue and particulars for the eighth Language Creation Conference (LCC8).

We are happy to announce that the 8th Language Creation Conference will take place in Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, United Kingdom, on the 22nd and 23rd of June 2019. It will be hosted by Bettina Beinhoff.

A call for speakers and poster presentations will be posted soon.

About the LCC:

The Language Creation Conference is an international conference discussing issues related to the craft of language creation, or “conlanging”. It includes both fairly technical linguistic discussions as well as more artistic, sociological, or philosophical ones; examples of craft in action; voices from many parts of the conlanging community; and people from all over the world. The conference is open to the public. Preregistration requested. Lunch, snacks, and opportunities to socialize with fellow conlangers will be provided. All proceeds go to the LCS.

Language Creation Society

DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » 31 Oct 2018 07:09

elemtilas wrote:
30 Oct 2018 22:05
NEWS YOU CAN USE!

The Language Creation Society is pleased as pomegranate punch to announce the venue and particulars for the eighth Language Creation Conference (LCC8).
I’d be curious to know which (if any) members of this forum have attended these events, and if so, what their impressions were.

cedh
metal
metal

Post by cedh » 31 Oct 2018 09:07

DesEsseintes wrote:
31 Oct 2018 07:09
elemtilas wrote:
NEWS YOU CAN USE!

I’d be curious to know which (if any) members of this forum have attended these events, and if so, what their impressions were.
I've been there twice (2011 in Groningen/NL and 2015 in Horsham/UK), and it was great. As with most conferences, there were both good talks and mediocre ones, but aside from the official schedule, hanging around with dozens of other conlangers for a full weekend is an absolutely awesome experience! I really hope I can manage to attend the LCC again this time.

gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach » 01 Nov 2018 15:45

elemtilas wrote:
We are happy to announce that the 8th Language Creation Conference will take place in Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, United Kingdom, on the 22nd and 23rd of June 2019.
Interesting proposition, I'd like to visit one of these at some point. Unfortunately this one is probably colliding with another trip which I have to make and will only know its schedule in spring.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 17 Nov 2018 06:00

Conlang / Conculture Card Exchange 2018!!

So, there's been some interest expressed in a Conlang Card Exchange and I think it would be fun to do this again as we've done in years past!

In order to keep it simple, send me your Name, address & email address. Addresses in scripts other than Roman (China, Russia, etc.) should be given in both.

At some point in time, I'll send out an email with the addresses and everyone can send to whoever and how many ever they want.

PM me with the particulars!

If you've never participated before:

You'll get a list of names and addresses of fellow language inventors usually from a number of countries. You send out cards (can be conlang or conculture oriented or not) to as many on the list as you like. You get cards from as many as sent one to your address!

Some of the cards I've gotten in the past have been stupendously wonderful; almost all have in some way involved the sender's conlang or conculture. Sometimes just a postcard with the local equivalent of "Happy Holidays"; sometimes a veritable cultural construction.

If you have participated before, please consider doing so again!

We don't really have a set due date, though it is nice to get cards around Christmas or New Year. You certainly won't be penalised for sending cards in March or May...

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » 19 Nov 2018 08:41

Hey elemtilas. Glad you created this thread. I haven't been very active on the forum but this is one of the threads I always look at. There's something nice about having a "Conlanger's Daily News".