What have you been reading lately? (non-linguistic ed.)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Re: What have you been reading lately? (non-linguistic ed.)

Post by alynnidalar » 05 Dec 2018 17:47

Ahhh. Just finished Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series--well, finished the third book, at least, which is the latest. (the series is planned to have ten in all, two sub-series of five each)

I've very deliberately refrained from reading any Sanderson books before this because I knew he wrote the exact sort of things that I like (weird high fantasy with well-defined magic systems and a nice mix of action and politics) and I knew that once I started, I wouldn't be able to stop. And I was correct! I've gotten barely any sleep lately, but thankfully I'm a fast reader and am finally freeeeee of the Stormlight Archive. At least until the fourth book comes out sometime in the next twenty years. Or until I start reading Mistborn.

I keep trying to summarize the Stormlight Archive books, and I find it incredibly difficult. They're incredible, I love them to bits and adore all of the main characters. But trying to summarize them without giving away half the story (or making it sound like very generic fantasy) is... really difficult.

A long time ago, humanity was attacked by the evil Voidbringers and was saved by the divine Heralds and their disciples, the Radiants. After the final defeat of the Voidbringers, the Heralds left. But the Radiants betrayed humanity. Now, thousands of years later, the nonhuman Parshendi assassinated a human king on the night of a peace treaty between them. The humans went to war. And weird stuff starts happening. The main characters, in the first book most prominently, are a general in the war, a young artist who's way too innocent for her own good, and the world's most emo slave. (in his defense, he's clinically depressed) The world is truly alien and the magic system is fascinating, and unless I'm just really dumb, there is no way you're going to figure out how all the pieces fit together at first. (although Sanderson doesn't cheat! He puts plenty of hints in along the way)

It's the kind of series I absolutely have to reread, to pick up on all the little details... after I read all of his other books, so I can catch all of the crossovers.

Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » 25 Dec 2018 23:28

Finished reading Navigators of Dune (from the Dune series) by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson, a few days ago.

I am not a fan of reading, but somehow I felt that reading through this scifi book is easier than I thought it would be, and that's always a good thing.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 03 Apr 2019 17:59

I'm reading Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov. As we would say in the current era, it's so "meta". And very interesting [:D]