We need you!

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Niedfaru
rupestrian
rupestrian

We need you!

Post by Niedfaru » 05 Apr 2019 10:33

Ok, so I mentioned in my introductory post that I was working on a large project as the sole conlanger and might be looking to recruit help on that front. No-one told me recruitment is banned, so here goes. Apologies if this steps over a line, mods.

I am on the background team for The Ninth Age. It's a fantasy tabletop wargame for which we, the volunteer team, are producing all new rules, art, background stories, the whole lot. We are a wholly money free volunteer run, community driven project. Nobody in the project gets paid anything. There are more than 300 of us on various staff teams, and we all love what we do.

As part of my job on the background team, I am in charge of the linguistic development of the world we're writing. It's a huge job, as I'm sure any of you who've done this for fun will attest, but the difference between a personal project and T9A is TIME. We need to churn out a lot of work often is very tight timescales alongside having a job or being a student or whatever else it is that we do in our day to day lives.

The team has a number of people with skills in history, sociology, geology... yada yada. But, linguistics is pretty much my own wheelhouse, and it can be overwhelming at times. I would dearly like for someone to volunteer to help me with the conlangs. Since there isn't a lot of background material made public yet, I can't discuss specifics of the languages in question unless you are inducted into the team, but suffice it to say that they aren't terribly adventurous by conlang standards. The primary aim is that they look, sound and feel like a real language, not the usual fantasy mess. At present, the basic phonologies, an attempt at diachronic changes (badly mangled in some cases), very limited morphologies (usually concerned with onomastics) and very very very basic syntax for all of them is done. But there's a lot of fleshing out that's needed, especially in the region of root generation and lexicons. Two of the languages have a conscript, at least three others will need one too.

I'll say right now: this isn't a project to get involved in if you want to do something new and innovative. There are some interesting features in some of the languages, but most follow fairly standard fantasy tropes, albeit with more consistency. We have endeavoured to create a more inclusive world than most fantasy settings are, but there are some legacy effects that couldn't be avoided. We are not primary conworlders, but rather building a background for a game that already exists are therefore have to build to specific criteria. We can't remove elves from the setting no matter how hard people hate them, and we can't remake a world that doesn't look like the real world. There is a lot of work done that will be distasteful to seasoned conworlders, but it is done, and that what we are working with.

I'll also say that his isn't a trivial commitment: I spend at least 3 hours a day working on the project, more when I've got the time. Some people I know spend upwards of 6, in addition to their jobs. I don't know when they sleep. You don't need to spend that much time on the project, but consistency is important, not putting in a ton of work for three weeks and then disappearing for two months.

But, if anyone hasn't been scared away by all that, and is willing to help me out with getting my conlangs in order, please PM me. I hope by hitting up a dedicated conlang forum, I'll get at least one person who has the time and interest to help.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day.