Historical people you would rather admire from a distance

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Historical people you would rather admire from a distance

Post by eldin raigmore » 24 Apr 2012 23:48

Which historical people do you admire, whom you'd rather admire from a distance (in space or in time)?

For me:
Chaka the Zulu
Joab the nephew (sistersson) of David (also King David's general and commander-in-chief)

Solarius
roman
roman

Re: Historical people you would rather admire from a distanc

Post by Solarius » 25 Apr 2012 18:47

Maybe Akbar?
Check out Ussaria!

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » 25 Apr 2012 22:34

Solarius wrote:Maybe Akbar?
I don't know. I think Timur-e-Leng aka Tamerlane is more the "... from a distance" type.

OTOH, perhaps Akbar is more admirable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akbar wrote:At the end of his reign in 1605 the Mughal empire covered most of northern and central India. He is most appreciated for having a liberal outlook on all faiths and beliefs and during his era, culture and art reached a zenith as compared to his predecessors.
As an emperor, Akbar solidified his rule by pursuing diplomacy with the powerful Hindu Rajput caste, and by marrying Rajput princesses.
That doesn't sound so fearsome to me. But it does sound admirable, like the Hapsburgs' policy of "waging marriage". ("Other nations wage war; you, happy Austria, wage marriage.")

Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius » 26 Apr 2012 00:49

eldin raigmore wrote:
Solarius wrote:Maybe Akbar?
I don't know. I think Timur-e-Leng aka Tamerlane is more the "... from a distance" type.

OTOH, perhaps Akbar is more admirable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akbar wrote:At the end of his reign in 1605 the Mughal empire covered most of northern and central India. He is most appreciated for having a liberal outlook on all faiths and beliefs and during his era, culture and art reached a zenith as compared to his predecessors.
As an emperor, Akbar solidified his rule by pursuing diplomacy with the powerful Hindu Rajput caste, and by marrying Rajput princesses.
That doesn't sound so fearsome to me. But it does sound admirable, like the Hapsburgs' policy of "waging marriage". ("Other nations wage war; you, happy Austria, wage marriage.")
It's mostly because Aurangzeb comes soon after.

Staying in Indian History;Indira Gandhi.
Check out Ussaria!