Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
User avatar
ol bofosh
roman
roman
Posts: 1118
Joined: 27 Aug 2012 13:59
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by ol bofosh » 03 Sep 2012 20:12

We're just the latest in a very long line of geo-physiological developments. That goes for Buddha, Lao-Tse, the various Baumans and metanarratives too. [:D]

User avatar
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal
Posts: 3821
Joined: 13 Aug 2010 17:57
Contact:

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Thakowsaizmu » 03 Sep 2012 20:16

ol bofosh wrote:Lao-Tse
Side note: The preferred spelling is Laozi or, if using the Wade-Giles system, Lao Tzu

User avatar
ol bofosh
roman
roman
Posts: 1118
Joined: 27 Aug 2012 13:59
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by ol bofosh » 03 Sep 2012 20:35

Hmm, wonder where I got Lao-Tse from then. Well, since I write Tao, Taoism, Te, etc. I'd best stick with Lao Tsu. Thanks (just seen the variety of Romanisation on Wiki. It's gone beyond simplicity).

http://www.taoism.net My favourite Taoist website.

User avatar
Torco
sinic
sinic
Posts: 348
Joined: 14 Oct 2010 07:36

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Torco » 03 Sep 2012 20:51

ol bofosh wrote:We're just the latest in a very long line of geo-physiological developments. That goes for Buddha, Lao-Tse, the various Baumans and metanarratives too. [:D]
so much postmodernity it hurts :D

User avatar
Xonen
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1468
Joined: 15 May 2010 23:25

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Xonen » 04 Sep 2012 16:54

ol bofosh wrote:Hmm, wonder where I got Lao-Tse from then. Well, since I write Tao, Taoism, Te, etc. I'd best stick with Lao Tsu.
Why would that be better than Lao Tse? Or Laotze, Lao Tu or Laosi, for that matter? [:)] Wikipedia lists all of those as variants... Though apparently, Laozi and Lao Tzu are the ones that follow generally accepted romanization schemes for Chinese, if you rate that as the most important factor in choosing which to use.

User avatar
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal
Posts: 3821
Joined: 13 Aug 2010 17:57
Contact:

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Thakowsaizmu » 04 Sep 2012 17:48

Xonen wrote:
ol bofosh wrote:Hmm, wonder where I got Lao-Tse from then. Well, since I write Tao, Taoism, Te, etc. I'd best stick with Lao Tsu.
Why would that be better than Lao Tse? Or Laotze, Lao Tu or Laosi, for that matter? [:)] Wikipedia lists all of those as variants... Though apparently, Laozi and Lao Tzu are the ones that follow generally accepted romanization schemes for Chinese, if you rate that as the most important factor in choosing which to use.
The only reason I said anything is because I was confused at first. Pinyin has been the accepted style of romanization for a while now, probably for longer than most of us have been alive, so I see no reason not to use it.

User avatar
Xing
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5311
Joined: 22 Aug 2010 17:46

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Xing » 04 Sep 2012 18:39

Thakowsaizmu wrote: The only reason I said anything is because I was confused at first. Pinyin has been the accepted style of romanization for a while now, probably for longer than most of us have been alive, so I see no reason not to use it.
Kinda true, but names of persons and places often have more or less established westernised forms, that may or may not correspond to the "official" romanisation.

User avatar
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1591
Joined: 25 Dec 2010 21:21
Contact:

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by cybrxkhan » 04 Sep 2012 18:53

Xing wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote: The only reason I said anything is because I was confused at first. Pinyin has been the accepted style of romanization for a while now, probably for longer than most of us have been alive, so I see no reason not to use it.
Kinda true, but names of persons and places often have more or less established westernised forms, that may or may not correspond to the "official" romanisation.
And foods, too. Well, at least in Chinese-American cuisine. Kung Pao chicken, General Tso's chicken, etc.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce

Post Reply