The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
User avatar
Hālian
sinic
sinic
Posts: 204
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 22:13
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by Hālian » 24 Jul 2014 00:10

Isn't it? :D

User avatar
k1234567890y
runic
runic
Posts: 2966
Joined: 04 Jan 2014 04:47
Contact:

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by k1234567890y » 24 Jul 2014 11:36

Image

Image

giant burrowing cockroach, or rhinoceros cockroach, one of the largest cockroach species in our world.
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!

User avatar
Yačay256
greek
greek
Posts: 709
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 00:57
Location: Sacramento, California, USA

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by Yačay256 » 25 Jul 2014 00:50

@k1234567890y: Cool! [:D] We need more small animals around here

Here is an undescribed species of Spinoloricus, which, along with two other Loricifers, is the first animal ever discovered to be anaerobic:
Image
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!

User avatar
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1790
Joined: 01 Mar 2014 07:19

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by All4Ɇn » 28 Jul 2014 23:06

Image
Image
Image

Velvet Worms. They're like a mix between a worm, an insect, and a centipede

User avatar
k1234567890y
runic
runic
Posts: 2966
Joined: 04 Jan 2014 04:47
Contact:

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by k1234567890y » 01 Aug 2014 16:11

Image

Trichoplax adhaerens, the only living species of the phylum Placozoa, they look like Amoebas, but they belong to the kingdom of Animalia, as human beings.
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!

User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by Lambuzhao » 01 Aug 2014 19:30

Wow! Fascinating creatures.

User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by Lambuzhao » 16 Aug 2014 20:33

Renewed love: Kinkajous!
Are they bears, are they cats, are they monkeys, are they Procyonids, are they funny little elves of the forest?
Yes to all, friends, and so much more!

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6080049 ... d=15.1&P=0

Big runners up include: the Potto
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 ... tto-03.jpg

the Cuscus,
https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607994 ... d=15.1&P=0

and Silky Anteater.
https://sp1.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607999 ... d=15.1&P=0

Heck, you can keep yer MLPs. Gimme a holodeck-app of a rainforest with just these guys, lots of yummy fruits and a gentle misty rain, and I will be very very happy [:)] .

User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by Lambuzhao » 22 Mar 2015 08:18

A favorite 'new flavor' of an old-time classic:

Let me tell you how pleased I was to find this killer-combination

HAIDA & TLINGIT style DINOSAURS!!!!

Tlingit Deinonychosaur
http://evolutionlive.blogspot.com/2009/ ... folly.html

Haida Mesozoic Monsters of Wave & Welkin (scroll down to Dec 29 2014)
http://pteroformer.blogspot.com/

I absolutely agree with what Mr. Pteroformer sez about Attenborough. I could listen to Stock Market Indexes read by Attenborough, and they'd be like Shakespeare.

[+1]


Frankly a match made in heaven and long long long overlooked.
If there were ever intelligent, sentient dinos, some must've drawn their fauna like this, IMHO.

On a whim, I decided to see if there were any brave souls who sought out dinos in Aboriginal Dreamtime.

http://perpetualartistsblock.tumblr.com ... -heres-one

The evidence is 'sketchy'.

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4400
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by qwed117 » 22 Mar 2015 22:16

I would want to show my "amazing" drawing of a microbe that I saw under a microscope, but right now, I feel like it's a little too Oscillococcinum though.
*sigh* It was really cool. *sigh again*
It was a small semi-colonial microbe. It had several chloroplasts in one cell, and was made of several thin cells connected to each other. Each cell was shaped like a rectangle, and together they moved by pushing against other members of its colony. I only found 2 specimens in the sample, and they were never to be seen again. Does this seem like a microbe to you guys? I really don't know what it is; a preliminary Wikipedia search from the page on protists didn't help me much. There was no obvious categories that it fell into. *Sigh*
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
thaen
roman
roman
Posts: 1170
Joined: 04 Jun 2011 21:01
Location: Plano

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by thaen » 23 Mar 2015 05:26

Show it anyway! At least in the other creativity, if not here. But I do feel it'd be more relevant here.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ

User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 May 2012 01:57

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by Lambuzhao » 16 Apr 2015 07:12

I think pretty much Horned Toads and/or Molochs used to be my favorite lizards,
unit I met the Toad Mouth Agama (Phrynocephalus persicus)

http://featuredcreature.com/wp-content/ ... %2BPM2.png

This looks like something that might have inspired a kaiju from Ultraman or Pacific Rim.

If the new monster/dinosaur in Jurassic World does not have a mouth with gratuitously spiked action side-lobes like this,
I will be summarily disappointed.

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4400
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by qwed117 » 16 Apr 2015 22:36

Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1716
Joined: 11 Feb 2015 11:23

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by gestaltist » 16 Apr 2015 23:19

I can’t believe no one has posted the terror birds yet:

Image

Prinsessa
runic
runic
Posts: 3226
Joined: 07 Nov 2011 14:42

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by Prinsessa » 16 Apr 2015 23:44

And moas. And cassowaries.

I've been reading up a lot about synapsids and their ancestors and descendants lately. I'm really intrigued by these middle stages. Of course that also goes for other cool intermediates, like pre-modern humans, whale ancestors, archeopteryx and what have ye. But synapsids are my new passion.

There's surely a connection to my love for historical linguistics and the diachronics and evolutions there.
Lambuzhao wrote:I think pretty much Horned Toads and/or Molochs used to be my favorite lizards,
unit I met the Toad Mouth Agama (Phrynocephalus persicus)

http://featuredcreature.com/wp-content/ ... %2BPM2.png

This looks like something that might have inspired a kaiju from Ultraman or Pacific Rim.

If the new monster/dinosaur in Jurassic World does not have a mouth with gratuitously spiked action side-lobes like this,
I will be summarily disappointed.
Wooah. That's like a frilled dragon going horribly wrong with its frill at some point.

User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1716
Joined: 11 Feb 2015 11:23

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by gestaltist » 17 Apr 2015 00:13

Prinsessa wrote: I've been reading up a lot about synapsids and their ancestors and descendants lately. I'm really intrigued by these middle stages. Of course that also goes for other cool intermediates, like pre-modern humans, whale ancestors, archeopteryx and what have ye. But synapsids are my new passion.
In the World of Twin Suns, synapsids have managed to stand their ground against mammals. It even has a sentient species of synapsids. Great minds think alike?

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4400
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by qwed117 » 17 Apr 2015 00:18

gestaltist wrote:
Prinsessa wrote: I've been reading up a lot about synapsids and their ancestors and descendants lately. I'm really intrigued by these middle stages. Of course that also goes for other cool intermediates, like pre-modern humans, whale ancestors, archeopteryx and what have ye. But synapsids are my new passion.
In the World of Twin Suns, synapsids have managed to stand their ground against mammals. It even has a sentient species of synapsids. Great minds think alike?
Technically, Synapsida is cladal, and mammals are synapsids. On Earth, there is a sentient Synapsid, Homo Sapiens
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1716
Joined: 11 Feb 2015 11:23

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by gestaltist » 17 Apr 2015 00:38

qwed117 wrote:
gestaltist wrote:
Prinsessa wrote: I've been reading up a lot about synapsids and their ancestors and descendants lately. I'm really intrigued by these middle stages. Of course that also goes for other cool intermediates, like pre-modern humans, whale ancestors, archeopteryx and what have ye. But synapsids are my new passion.
In the World of Twin Suns, synapsids have managed to stand their ground against mammals. It even has a sentient species of synapsids. Great minds think alike?
Technically, Synapsida is cladal, and mammals are synapsids. On Earth, there is a sentient Synapsid, Homo Sapiens
And then again, I am pretty sure you understood perfectly what I meant. If you insist on exactness, the sentient species I was referring to is a theriodont and not a mammal. Or rather - analogous to a theriodont.

Prinsessa
runic
runic
Posts: 3226
Joined: 07 Nov 2011 14:42

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by Prinsessa » 17 Apr 2015 09:53

Yeah. Synapsids as a whole, or initially, weren't mammals yet, and they branched off into many non-mammalian subgroups before they definitely evolved into actual Mammalia. So there were many opportunities for non-mammalian synapsids to have kept evolving. They just happened to all die out in this reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synapsid#Relationships

But nonetheless man is indeed historically a synapsid.

User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1716
Joined: 11 Feb 2015 11:23

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by gestaltist » 17 Apr 2015 10:40

Prinsessa wrote:Yeah. Synapsids as a whole, or initially, weren't mammals yet, and they branched off into many non-mammalian subgroups before they definitely evolved into actual Mammalia. So there were many opportunities for non-mammalian synapsids to have kept evolving. They just happened to all die out in this reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synapsid#Relationships

But nonetheless man is indeed historically a synapsid.
An interesting tidbit about synapsid evolution: early synapsids had their legs positioned to their sides (like most reptiles do today). This alignment has a serious disadvantage: every step compresses one lung and makes breathing while moving difficult. Note how lizards move in quick bursts: it is because they need to stop to breathe.

Evolving legs positioned under the body instead of on its sides gave mammals (and a considerable advantage. Some other synapsids made this evolutionary jump as well: e.g., gorgonopsia which came to be the dominant predators in that day and age. In the World of Twin Suns, gorgonopsia (or their equivalent) have never been outcompeted by mammals. Hence the oviparous „dogs“.

Prinsessa
runic
runic
Posts: 3226
Joined: 07 Nov 2011 14:42

Re: The Cool Animals/Plants Thread (Dead or Alive)

Post by Prinsessa » 17 Apr 2015 10:44

I know. :d Been reading lots and lots. And watched some videos too. It's really interesting.

Yay! Gorgonopsids!

Or perhaps gorgonopsidids in your world.

Post Reply